Should I keep playing if I do not enjoy HoT?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: darkwombat.3695

darkwombat.3695

I am sorry I just cant stand any of the HoT content. I don’t like how vertical it is. There is no real long view distance and open, beautiful zones. I also feel that mobs just take too long to kill. I think Rift had this same issue with their first expansion. There is this clock in players heads. I really feel there is. And if that clock strikes zero and you are still fighting that mob, it just feels….off.

However, I love the original world a lot. Love all the zones and love leveling characters. Right now I have a couple 80’s and 6 characters under level 50. I also love the Revenant class and some of the specialty classes.

So my question is, if I really dislike HoT, is there even a reason to level my characters? Maybe get them to 80 and wait for the next expansion? If you were me, what would you do?

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Games are about finding the engagement that fits your entertainment needs… MMOs are no different. Play what you enjoy, and if it’s not HoT then oh well; play the original content instead. There’s plenty of people to play with on all the maps.

~EW

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Play the parts of the game you enjoy. Don’t play the parts you aren’t interested in.

If you get bored. Take a break. Come back when you want to. That’s the beauty of this game. You won’t be that far behind if at all.

Posted by: darkwombat.3695

darkwombat.3695

Will I fall behind gear wise if I dont play HoT maps? Skills wise too?
I dont want to be forced to do HoT to prep for the next expansion, that would be a big deal.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Will I fall behind gear wise if I dont play HoT maps? Skills wise too?
I dont want to be forced to do HoT to prep for the next expansion, that would be a big deal.

There will be no gear tiers above what we have, certain builds are best with HoT stats atm but very far from all.

You won’t fall behind on gear but you could fall behind on skill (just from being out of practice and less familiarity).

Take a break or see how you like HoT with one of your other classes – no one can really tell you what to do but you have plenty options. Do what you enjoy with your free time.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Probably not. The game will continue in this direction.

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I dislike Metrica and Brisban Wildlands but keep playing the game anyway. There’s loads to do without visiting every map. Until you get enough of that “loads to do”…

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

Actually a little early to tell right now. If HoT sold well enough, you can expect to see more of content like it. If not and Mr O´Brien does not stomp his foot down and choses to throw coals into the oven of the titanic while the band keeps playing, things will turn into another direction again.

Posted by: Mahaedros.7085

Mahaedros.7085

If you don’t like HoT maps, here is what you do, and you will be happy.

Get one of your characters who is fast or stealthy or has a lot of toughness (OR one of your characters you need Hero Points on to get the Elite spec) and just run around exploring the map- avoid fighting if you don’t like fighting on the HoT maps, just explore and try to find waypoints.

Once you know your way around the map and have the waypoints, you just pay attention to map chat and you will often see people asking for help or offering help to get Hero point challenges. Just go join them. Ask them if you can join a party with them and tell them it’s your first time and they will help you out! If you are really lucky, you will get someone doing all the hero points and a large group of people will be in the group all trying to get Hero points, chests and everything else on the map. Everyone helps everyone and it is a great time.

Going it alone is pretty tough at first.

Going with a group is extremely fun and extremely rewarding! Just takes a little time and you will find other people on HoT maps to group with- learn the maps at your pace and you will understand them and have more fun on them. Once you get what you want from the HoT maps you don’t have to go back to them, do whatever you want.

Good luck, have fun, be smart and use the help that is there waiting for you. It’s fun helping others too, in my humble opinion.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing – Edmund Burke

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

ANet iterates all the time. They’ve said they are going to be making some adjustments to HOT. If you’re enjoying the rest of the game, play it. If not, take a break. One thing consistent about GW2 development is that ANet has been all over the place with development. Maybe the next XPac will be better for you, or maybe whatever adjustments they make to HoT will make it more palatable.

Posted by: Roxanne.6140

Roxanne.6140

Remember to close the door on the way out

gaem not made for mi
===========

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So my question is, if I really dislike HoT, is there even a reason to level my characters? Maybe get them to 80 and wait for the next expansion? If you were me, what would you do?

Why not play the original stuff? People still do (for a variety of reasons). If you dislike HoT, you can avoid Magus Falls entirely.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”