Should gemstore items give AP?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shadowmoon.7986

Shadowmoon.7986

Not shown in WP preview but it was mentioned there were collection for Black Lion weapons sets. I am personally ok with this as long as no AP is rewarded for these collections. Also I would also not support collections that reward AP from the gemstore armor skins (for example aetherblade armor skin set) because it would just lead to the highest people on the leaderboard being only those who has the largest credit cards. In a game where there is no challenges, and no challenges being developed, this would definately turn into a p2w situation. Want to be top in the leader board, forget about maxing all 8 champion titles, forget about maxing out all wvw title tracks, just slide your credit card in and buy all the ap you want.

Posted by: cranked.3812

cranked.3812

p2w when it comes to AP? Really? Get a grip.

Why don’t we wait and see tomorrow and then make QQ threads.

Posted by: Solomon Darkfury.3729

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Not shown in WP preview but it was mentioned there were collection for Black Lion weapons sets. I am personally ok with this as long as no AP is rewarded for these collections. Also I would also not support collections that reward AP from the gemstore armor skins (for example aetherblade armor skin set) because it would just lead to the highest people on the leaderboard being only those who has the largest credit cards. In a game where there is no challenges, and no challenges being developed, this would definately turn into a p2w situation. Want to be top in the leader board, forget about maxing all 8 champion titles, forget about maxing out all wvw title tracks, just slide your credit card in and buy all the ap you want.

P2W what exactly? a meaningless position on an even MORE meaningless leaderboard? Most of the top players on there share their account info with family to maximize their play time… they also do EVERY daily and monthly and spend COUNTLESS hours in PVP… unless you have been doing it from day one you will NEVER catch them unless they quit the game sorry…

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

…….again……..different subject, same issue.

What in the world does it do to harm you if someone get’s achievement points by spending money for virtual goods? Seriously…..

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

You can convert gold to gems.

Grinders and buyers will be at the top of the achievement point leaderboard, which is exactly who should be there, as they are contributing either more time or money than other people.

No issue.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

For any of those player competing for rank on the leader boards I’d sure as heck say it’s p2w.

So imo. NO They should not.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

It does potentially open the “p2w” can of worms, which is why I think it quite unlikely that we’ll have collections like “Fused Weapon Collection” or “Biconic Weapon Collection”. That said, we MIGHT have a small achievement like “Owns X/5 gem store skins” that gave maybe 10 AP at best.

Solomon Darkfury.3729

For any of those player competing for rank on the leader boards I’d sure as heck say it’s p2w.

So imo. NO They should not.

lol SERIOUSLY?! Dude… its a leaderboard for hours played… that’s it lol

Why does what will probably constitute like 100AP, bother you when the top people have 20k plus?

If that is the case where is the outrage over HoM AP?

lol you all are funny

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

You obviously don’t know how it works at the top of the AP leaderboards.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Shadowmoon.7986

Shadowmoon.7986

If that is the case where is the outrage over HoM AP?

There was outrage, but ultimately, you got it by playing the game, it wasn’t “buy all the gw1 games” and instantly get the points. You actually had to complete the the game.

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

Minis are gem store items and give AP. You’re too late.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

A bunch of obsessed no-lifers that complain whenever Anet changes anything even slightly related to AP?

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

P2W what exactly? a meaningless position on an even MORE meaningless leaderboard? Most of the top players on there share their account info with family to maximize their play time… they also do EVERY daily and monthly and spend COUNTLESS hours in PVP… unless you have been doing it from day one you will NEVER catch them unless they quit the game sorry…

But AP and collection are serious business. Else why would Anet add them in…

I remember the developer talking about veteran contents they added this patch… that must be it.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I don’t see a problem with it. If achievement points offered a real advantage in game, it would be a problem.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Most of the top players on there share their account info with family to maximize their play time

That is a pretty interesting accusation, I’d love to see your source if you don’t mind..

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I’m not sure I feel dejected because I’m not at the top of the Leaderboards. Except for the ~100 people vying for the top spots, who even looks at the Leaderboards?

Does the leader, or top 100 get something to show off in-game? No? So, most of the playerbase has no idea who is at the top. I’m not sure what they won, then. But, that’s just me. /shrug

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

I don’t see a problem with it. If achievement points offered a real advantage in game, it would be a problem.

But that’s really what this game ends up being about: skins and achievement points.

Anyway, imho, no, gemstore items should never give AP.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

But that’s really what this game ends up being about: skins and achievement points.

As dozens have said over and over since launch, gemstore items can be purchased with gold earned in game. There are other achievements that require some amount of gold to complete as well.

Solomon Darkfury.3729

A bunch of obsessed no-lifers that complain whenever Anet changes anything even slightly related to AP?

So much this!

I mean really you are talking about a couple hundred people at best…

Solomon Darkfury.3729

As dozens have said over and over since launch, gemstore items can be purchased with gold earned in game. There are other achievements that require some amount of gold to complete as well.

and this too!

Solomon Darkfury.3729

Most of the top players on there share their account info with family to maximize their play time

That is a pretty interesting accusation, I’d love to see your source if you don’t mind..

several players directly that I know with excess of 23k AP…

ans no before you ask I am not going to out them for a TOS violation…

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

I have over 23k AP and I don’t share my account to anyone.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I have 19,500 plus achievement points and I don’t care about getting every gem store items. The fact is you can actually see how many people are in the top 100. And guess what.

It’s 100 people. Even the top 500 (which I’m in) it’s a pretty small percentage of people playing the game.

Posted by: Romek.4201

Romek.4201

better change would be to delete this stupid leaderbaord – its useless anyway

Vayne.8563

But..but…I’m number 467! lol

Yeah I don’t love the leaderboard. On the other hand, it gives competitive times something to do. Keeps them playing. Might as well leave it and ignore it.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The only problem i could see is if the reward for that achievement was something cool and unique. Which is unlikely given Anet’s reward structure so far.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

New players missed on all the achievements from season 1, so they will never be able to catch up to the ones who were here since the start. The AP leaderboard is a joke.

Zaxares.5419

Yeah I don’t love the leaderboard. On the other hand, it gives competitive times something to do. Keeps them playing. Might as well leave it and ignore it.

Out of curiosity I looked up my ranking on the Leaderboards. Apparently I’m 683.

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

The only problem i could see is if the reward for that achievement was something cool and unique. Which is unlikely given Anet’s reward structure so far.

From what I understand of the videos the rewards for collecting the BL skin sets is 5 BL claim tickets so it’s not really unique.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

As someone that’s motivation to play this game is collecting AP but cares nothing about leaderboard AP. This could kill one of my biggest motivators to continue playing.

If it was heavily gated behind gem store items such as having to collect every black lion set would really kill my motivation to keep earning AP. It would just scream cash grab achievement system, not completing objectives in the game system.

I always looked at AP as a measurement of how much of the game I have completed, these collections could change that as they have little to do with the game and more to do with the gemstore. Collections should be items that are made in game not gated behind gemstore based RNG ticket system.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

(edited by Mireles Lore.5942)

Vayne.8563

Out of curiosity I looked up my ranking on the Leaderboards. Apparently I’m 683.

Nice. I used to look all the time. I stopped looking. I’ve dropped about a hundred points since then. I don’t care. lol

Vayne.8563

As someone that’s motivation to play this game is collecting AP but cares nothing about leaderboard AP. This could kill one of my biggest motivators to continue playing.

If it was heavily gated behind gem store items such as having to collect every black lion set would really kill my motivation to keep collecting. It would just scream cash grab achievement system, not completing objectives in the game system.

I always looked at AP as a measurement of how much of the game I have completed, these collections could change that as they have little to do with the game and more to do with the gemstore. Collections should be items that are made in game not gated behind gemstore based RNG ticket system.

There will likely be dozens if not hundreds of collections. Only a small percentage will be tied to the gem store. And in theory people do farm keys to get tickets anyway, and will still be able to do so (if not quite as efficiently). It’s another thing to do. Many people got their skins without buying keys.

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

the game seems to be going toward fully integrating the gem shop into regular gameplay, not everywhere, but you can expect most of the things to achieve, or earn, will have some part of them involved with gem shop.
like wardrobe
food boosters
gathering
etc.
gem shop is and will continue to be fairly entrenched in the game

Zaxares.5419

Screenshots have indicated there will almost certainly be Black Lion weapon collections. (The one I saw was for the Winter’s weapons.)

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

Well it’s not game breaking, but I have to also agree.

Some nice gear would be fun, maybe cosmetic, maybe a title, but if it gives any substantial AP it would make game more about farming and buying skins like crazy or spending cash which is fun breaking for some hardcore AP players.

Mireles Lore.5942

If it was heavily gated behind gem store items such as having to collect every black lion set would really kill my motivation to keep collecting. It would just scream cash grab achievement system, not completing objectives in the game system.

There will likely be dozens if not hundreds of collections. Only a small percentage will be tied to the gem store. And in theory people do farm keys to get tickets anyway, and will still be able to do so (if not quite as efficiently). It’s another thing to do. Many people got their skins without buying keys.

Still though, to me if they are going to require every black lion weapon set since they made it still going to feel like a cash grab just because of the sheer volume of tickets you would need, the market price of them since they have been released, and RNG related to the gem shop involved in the achievement system now.

With the exception of miniatures that were very obtainable, the AP system has always been game based accomplishments. Now we are seeing a gem store creep into the achievement system which understandably some people have a problem with. I am one of these people.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

How is this remotely P2W even in the (incorrect) assumption that there’s any “win” associated with more APs?

• Anyone can grind gold to buy gems, and therefore compete on gems.
  • Anyone can spend cash on gems, to get gold, which can be used to acquire things from the TP.

Everyone I know who is near the top of the leaderboards has done so because they play a lot and they are efficient at earning points (e.g. by using hammer to kill jotun, to advance two tracks at once). They won’t need to worry about people getting a few AP by spending gems.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Vayne.8563

Still though, to me if they are going to require every black lion weapon set since they made it still going to feel like a cash grab just because of the sheer volume of tickets you would need, the market price of them since they have been released, and RNG related to the gem shop involved in the achievement system now.

With the exception of miniatures that were very obtainable, the AP system has always been game based accomplishments. Now we are seeing a gem store creep into the achievement system which understandably some people have a problem with. I am one of these people.

I’m not actually disagreeing with you. I just don’t care personally. 5 achievement points here and there aren’t going to make any difference at all to the game for me. Not even a little.

I don’t watch where I am on the leaderboards. I’m not competing with anyone. From my point of view, I just want buy the stuff I don’t like. Just like I decided not to collect gem store minis.

I still enjoy the game.

Mireles Lore.5942

I’m not actually disagreeing with you. I just don’t care personally. 5 achievement points here and there aren’t going to make any difference at all to the game for me. Not even a little.

I don’t watch where I am on the leaderboards. I’m not competing with anyone. From my point of view, I just want buy the stuff I don’t like. Just like I decided not to collect gem store minis.

I still enjoy the game.

It may be just a hand full of collections worth of gemstore creep into the system now 5 here and 5 there, but that adds up. If people that don’t approve don’t say something now it could turn into collection of outfits, toys, and gathering tools from the gemstore as well. It could be well on down the line where AP is strongly gemstore based depending on how they handle the AP in these collections and anything else they might add.

There are already very few ways to measure and track your player accomplishment progression in this game. This is not something I would like to see get even partially based in what is purchased in the gem store. If AP turns into something that can be reasonably progressed by sliding your credit card, it would lose meaning…. atleast to me.

But by all means, have the collections, have rewards for them. Just leave AP out of it when it comes to things related to the gemstore.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Collectors are going to collect these items regardless, which is a legitimate achievement. If they’re going to add achievements for collecting sets, it wouldn’t have been fair to exclude these simply because they have a link to the gem store.

If these items could only be obtained by using real money, I would have disliked it, but still, collecting them would have been an achievement.

To make these collection achievements fair for everyone however, I expect to see achievements for every set, including items such as SAB W1 and legendary weapons. I also hope to see more achievements involving personal skill level. Not every achievement is mean to be casual and when it comes to the leaderboards, there is also going to be someone willing to put in more effort.

Vayne.8563

I still enjoy the game.

It may be just a hand full of collections worth of gemstore creep into the system now 5 here and 5 there, but that adds up. If people that don’t approve don’t say something now it could turn into collection of outfits, toys, and gathering tools from the gemstore as well. It could be well on down the line where AP is strongly gemstore based depending on how they handle the AP in these collections and anything else they might add.

There are already very few ways to measure and track your player accomplishment progression in this game. This is not something I would like to see get even partially based in what is purchased in the gem store. If AP turns into something that can be reasonably progressed by sliding your credit card, it would lose meaning…. atleast to me.

But by all means, have the collections, have rewards for them. Just leave AP out of it when it comes to things related to the gemstore.

I hate to tell you but it already is that. You can buy legendaries. Spent money on minis, spend money on gems to convert to gold to get all your cultural armors done, buy all the stuff you need to get to max level crafting, you can even buy dungeon runs to get your dungeon master title.

If that’s your complaint, you’re about two years too late.

Mireles Lore.5942

I still enjoy the game.

I hate to tell you but it already is that. You can buy legendaries. Spent money on minis, spend money on gems to convert to gold to get all your cultural armors done, buy all the stuff you need to get to max level crafting, you can even buy dungeon runs to get your dungeon master title.

Theoretically yeah you could. But are any of these things advertised on the gemstore besides the minis? No they are not. That is what makes them different. Thats what makes them a purchase or a gamble instead of an accomplishment, because the primary means of acquisition is the real money shop.

I would argue against the minis too, but those have been there since day 1.

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Minis are gem store items and give AP. You’re too late.

Ones that give AP’s are also purchasable on the TP. Your argument is only half valid.

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

They should completely remove that collection for black lion ticket stuff, seriously, everything what this achievement catergory will do only is srew up (again) extremely the prices of already very rare items into new absolute unreachable heights.

Again anet screws up a part of the game economy without doign somethign agaisnt it, that prices skyrocket by multiple hundreds of gold so that 99,9% of the games players will never ever get these things anymore…

Whats the god kitten sense behind a collection, when either the supply is so small, that nearly nobody can collect them, or prices for these items are so ridiculously astronomical high, that nobody can buy them, unless you are a super rich player who has no problem to push every month multiple hundreds of dollars into the game to just buy you all the gold that you need with real money.

I guarantee Anet, that this achievement won’t be any good for the game, it won’t lead magically to a massive increase of key buys in the hope of getting through RNG the tickets, nor won’t it lead magically into an extreme increase of bought gems to get all the gold that you need.
Its quite the other way around – such idiotic achievements that are pure pay to win will scare people only off from the gemstore and the game itself even more, because such changes are like power creep. Toxic to the hell, when a decicated player realizes, that they can’t get something that they want anymore through normal playing withing a players/games lifetime, they are much likely more guaranteed to ragequit the game and never ever come back, as like when such players can earn their things through normal playing the game, even if it takes some time, but at least have the choice to be not forced into the gemstore to buy gold just to have a friggin chance to get what they want…

This is seriously the wrong way anet, its absolutely crossing the line and I would’t be surprised, if the game will have after the patch a significant amount of lesser players.

As long those black lion weapons were 100% optional, everything was fine for them.
But at the moment, where they bring AP, they aren’t optional anymore and thats the point, where they start to cross the line too much and bring in pay to win achievements!!
Why pay to win achievements? because the AP leaderboards is a competitive thing and when you want to get anywere near the top 1000, or even into the top 100, you must be crazy doing everything possible, that gives you somehow AP to lose no places.

I find it laughable, how Anet always says that they take their game economy so serious and then lately they come up one time after another with some game changes, that totally screws over the prices of alot of items in a negative way, wothout doing anything against these extreme sky rocketing prices by making those items more accessible to increase the supply as a counter to ensure, that the prices stay at least nearly unchanged.

I was realy excited about the new collection achievements, but at the point where I saw this crap, every exitement that I had to that moment instantly changed into total disappointment.

This patch will turn thieves not only into garbage balance wise even more…
It won’t give us retroactively level up rewards, thus forcing us to make new characters/alts if we want to profit from the changes
Most of the stuff that gets added should have been in the game from behin on
and then on top of all this achievement hunters and the game economy get even screwed over far more again !

Seriously, what is Anet just thinking about all this!?
Are they now so desperate of gem sales, that they must even force achievement hunters with every little possibility they have left over into the store that they also don’t care about it anymore, if they ruin with this even more the game economy and turn gw2 more and more into Inflation Wars 2, where everything that you want costs multiple hundreds to thousands of gold???

Maybe I’m overexaggerating here and the market won’t change as much as I believe, but it will definetely affect significantly the games economy and that not just for a few weeks and then is everythign back to normal – no, that won’t be the case…

Seriously, what comes next? An achievement for having 64 characters that have all their inventory bag spaces maximised, equipped all with legendarys everywhere, all wearing 64 different new outfits and 64 different new gemstore backpacks ???
/endsarcasm

I absolutely don’t know, what I make of all of this anymore.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Vayne.8563

I still enjoy the game.

Theoretically yeah you could. But are any of these things advertised on the gemstore besides the minis? No they are not. That is what makes them different. Thats what makes them a purchase or a gamble instead of an accomplishment, because the primary means of acquisition is the real money shop.

Sounds a bit like you’re splitting hairs. A lot of people bought precusors or even legendaries with at least some real money. People have been spending real money for ages to get what they want in this game.

You can say this is a change, but in reality, it’s a relatively minor one. Anyway I don’t see enough complaints going live to stop it, but by all means. I’ll complain about it if you do. lol

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

About that mini argument, yeah, but minis aren#t locked behind a RNG mechanism to get a currency (Black Lion Tickets) from which you need like 5-7 just to get 1 single item of a set of like 16 items or so.
This means, if you want a complete set for 1 of those set achioevements, you can play with the RNG god for around 80-112 Black Lion Tickets and this just for 1 single weapon set.
Now multiply this by again 16 weapon sets that the game has already = 1280-1792 Black Lion Tickets that you would need to get just all of those achievements done!

This is ridiculous. Anet must think of us, that we all must be Croesus or what.
Minis aren’t locked behind such massive RNG mechanis, there you buy just a mini pack, yes then you have rng, but you aren’t forced to have first countless of tickets just to get your mini, no you get randomly directly a mini and that for an overseeable price that doesn’t require of you to be croesus to afford yourself all of this

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

Mireles Lore.5942

The idea is very simple ACHIEVEMENT points should never have the player to purchase something advertised in the gemstore to obtain them.

At this point they stop being achievements and start being purchase points.

Yes this includes miniatures. Unless they start including mini-packs or black lion keys for laurels. This behavior needs to be corrected.

Mireles Lore.5942

I still enjoy the game.

Sounds a bit like you’re splitting hairs. A lot of people bought precusors or even legendaries with at least some real money. People have been spending real money for ages to get what they want in this game.

You can say this is a change, but in reality, it’s a relatively minor one. Anyway I don’t see enough complaints going live to stop it, but by all means. I’ll complain about it if you do. lol

The change is that there are now achievement points locked behind a RNG mechanism that is almost entirely (we will find out tomorrow) locked behind a gemstone item.

That is going backwards from your stand point of people buying gems to achieve in in-game objective such as a legendary. For the first time ever in this game (besides minis) the primary avenue for achieving a in-game objective is purchasing gems. Spending money has really has nothing to do with it. Its the fact that an in-game accomplishment pushes you into a gemstore purchase is whats wrong and backwards.

Vayne.8563

snip.

I still enjoy the game.

The change is that there are now achievement points locked behind a RNG mechanism that is almost entirely (we will find out tomorrow) locked behind a gemstone item.

That is going backwards from your stand point of people buying gems to achieve in in-game objective such as a legendary For the first time ever in this game the primary avenue for achieving a in-game objective is purchasing gems. Spending money has really has nothing to do with it. Its the fact that an in-game accomplishment pushes you into a gemstore purchase is whats wrong and backwards.

Except for people who farm keys you mean.

Mireles Lore.5942

snip.

I still enjoy the game.

That is going backwards from your stand point of people buying gems to achieve in in-game objective such as a legendary For the first time ever in this game the primary avenue for achieving a in-game objective is purchasing gems. Spending money has really has nothing to do with it. Its the fact that an in-game accomplishment pushes you into a gemstore purchase is whats wrong and backwards.

Except for people who farm keys you mean.

Well we will find out if this is still practical tomorrow wont we?