in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

There are many top tier MMORPGs coming out this year

1. EverQuest Next
2. Wildstar
3. The Elder Scrolls Online
etc

Does Guild wars 2 even stand a chance ? What do you think Arenanet should do to retaliate ?

Those games have Jumping Puzzles? No.

So Anet will counter with Super Adventure Box!

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

Wildstar is a WoW 2.0…

This is a statement made in ignorance. It’s as if you don’t know anything at all about the game.

There may be more to Wildstar than a cartoony WoW 2.0 in space, but that was my first impression when I checked out the game’s website many moons ago. Yes this is ignorant, but a game shouldn’t rely on players educating themselves on its intricacies to generate interest.

I think it is the problem we have to face here. People see what they want to see.
People think that if they dislike another game, all reasonable players will dislike it too.

This will not work in favour of GW2. I won’t touch Wildstar from a hundred miles away (I’m too old, with too many obligations), but everyone who truly likes core MMOs must have wet dreams about it every night before release.

ESO might look old fashioned and slow, but it has a story to tell, and the combat feels like combat and not not like running around and spamming auto-attack on everything. And AvA is simply amazing, rewarding and fun.

GW2 is just old and stale by now. No real progression, neither vertical nor horizontal. No new core content like new areas, classes, races or PvP modes since forever.

Why would players not start to try out new things at the current state of the game?

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Every single game – every last one of them – is competing with Guild Wars 2.

Not directly.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

I’ll be the one to say it – I think MMO’s in general are on their way out. I can see a migration back to a hybrid B2P+ store sales model like GW2 has done (only heavier on B2P, relying on expansions for revenue stream).

I’m not saying all current MMO models are going to die immediately, but right now it would appear the only way to make money from them is to hype, release, get two years or so of store sales out of the community, then let it wind down.

This has become a formulaic thing and all MMO’s right now look like each other with slightly different mixes and matches of features.

I suspect the players are going to get tired of this (many already are), and it will go back to models that result in more stable, higher-quality games.

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Wildstar is a WoW 2.0…

This is a statement made in ignorance. It’s as if you don’t know anything at all about the game.

It looks a lot like WoW, the so called endgame will be heavy raiding, and it even was made by developers that made WoW. So for me that sounds very much like WoW 2.00.

Also it simply caters to other gamers than GW2 .. all these players that thing raiding is the best since invention of the wheel, and if it pulls players from GW2 that are mostly the elitist players that never where in the right here from the start, and only gave us such great things like ascended gear and Tequatl 2.00.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

1. EverQuest Next
2. Wildstar
etc

Does Guild wars 2 even stand a chance ? What do you think Arenanet should do to retaliate ?

/Titanfall

But seriously…
1. No real opinion on it yet… Cool it doesn’t have a subscription, so at least +1 on that.
2. Subscription or Grind or AH/TP-Flipping, pick your poison. Subscription, no thanks. Grinding, maybe… but I don’t seem to have much time now-a-days. AH Flipping, tedious as grinding but could work… End game raid based and to a certain degree feels like WoW 2.0 (sorry to do the whole WoW clone thing… but… yeah). Futuristic being it’s only plus for me.
3. Subscription based, no thanks. Played a few beta’s… was really bored running around thousands of miles to find out I have to run another several thousand of miles. Really didn’t feel worth the $15.

You also forgot to mention (Tom Clancy’s) The Division. No subs (?), futuristic…

In terms of retaliation…
Make cool looking around available not through gems, like through new dungeons, or extensions to old dungeons (just costs more tokens, but the skin looks kitten)… Something like that, but basically have cool looking skins be available through the game and not your wallet.
Give some solid and persistent content.
Fix/better the ascended implementation.
Better class balancing…
Bring back the title system from GW1, so we can title hunt/grind again. (At least have another goal)
Execution of CDI topics, meaning carrying things out that have come out of those discussions and pointing at that (literally say, we implemented so and so because there was a discussion in the CDI topic this <one>). Sorry to say, so far they have been only talk, not so much walk…
(list could go on, but basically everything from the CDI topics) (Also reasons why I’m barely playing this game anymore ).

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

To be honest GW2 is at its peak right now and people are still buying gems, otherwise the living story idea would have been scrapped long time ago…

But the graph will not raise upward forever…

ANet marketing is smart. They know this and they are OK with it.

As long as there is revenue through gems they will support the current model.

All these CDI and other stuff are just an illusion of someone might be listening on the other side…

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

(edited by Zylonite.5913)

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

You know who’d disagree with you? C C P.

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Zylonite.5913

Zylonite.5913

You know who’d disagree with you? C C P.

Well there is always exceptions…..GW2 is not one of those though.

Betrayed by the gods of ANet

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

1. EverQuest Next
2. Wildstar
etc

If it didn’t have the supreme cash shop model, DDO does pretty much everything GW2 does except look pretty, better from a PvE perspective. It has even done away with the trinity except instead of making everyone awful at everything, everyone can be good at everything. If you really like the trinity you can still go 100% heal or damage or whatever and be effective as well. But like I said, their pay model is a little crazy. Check it out if you haven’kittens free*.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

We do not know any thing realy about the full mmorpg of EQ:Next that still a year off at least. Wildstar is going to be a raid treadmill game so most ppl who like GW2 will hate that game for that reason alone. Though the 40 vs 40 may be a bit hit for the “GvG” players of GW2 all be it a very small pop. of GW2. ESO its pve is very solo ish its rvrvr is very close to what GW2 has but with no supplies for sieges so for wvwer who hate sieges i think it may be a pass (most major pvp guilds have passed on that for DAoC: unchain). So for this year no there no real composition for GW2 maybe next EQ: Next or the year after that when DAoC: UC comes out.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

If you have a problem with paying a trivial subscription fee then you should be doing something other than playing around on the computer. The anti-sub arguments are really bizarre. I mean are you wasting your Netflix sub or your internet sub if you’re not using them 24/7? Of course not. You’re paying for 24/7 access to a service you value.

It’s funny, really. People pay a box fee and expect to be entertained for years. If you got a hundred hours out of this game you got more out of this than the vast majority of AAA titles out there. People don’t want to pay money yet the have the nerve to complain about subpar patches, insipid story, and gating of horizontal progression behind the cash shop. Well, what do you expect?

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

If you have a problem with paying a trivial subscription fee then you should be doing something other than playing around on the computer. The anti-sub arguments are really bizarre. I mean are you wasting your Netflix sub or your internet sub if you’re not using them 24/7? Of course not. You’re paying for 24/7 access to a service you value.

It’s funny, really. People pay a box fee and expect to be entertained for years. If you got a hundred hours out of this game you got more out of this than the vast majority of AAA titles out there. People don’t want to pay money yet the have the nerve to complain about subpar patches, insipid story, and gating of horizontal progression behind the cash shop. Well, what do you expect?

Ummm what? By the same token you could be asked “if you want to pay a sub game why are you here?” Also many people here are often times demanding an expansion because they WANT to pay more cash for quality updates. People also want quality patches/updates (free or not) because it’s just good for the game in the long run, no one wants horrible things added to any game that may drive people away from it.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

Ummm what? By the same token you could be asked “if you want to pay a sub game why are you here?” Also many people here are often times demanding an expansion because they WANT to pay more cash for quality updates. People also want quality patches/updates (free or not) because it’s just good for the game in the long run, no one wants horrible things added to any game that may drive people away from it.

To add to that…
“Oh hey GW2 is doing well, and it’s F2P… Maybe I should try <another ANet/NCSoft game>”

And, so far the only real underlining argument provided by people that are okay with subscriptions is that they’re very used to paying for everything and are willing to pay more and more. It’s like they have an abundance of money and can throw around while saying “Oh why can’t you do that… too cheap?”.

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

(edited by Zero Day.2594)

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Rhomulos.2089

Rhomulos.2089

ESO, people down it for being a ‘clone’ when it’s honestly not a clone at all. It has interesting class building and the pvp look great. But that’s about it. Sub fee + cash shop, I wouldn’t be all too worried.

Wildstar, basically a traditional MMO with aiming, as different as you want to make it. The combat is decent, the skill choices are lacking and will make you long for the depth of gw2, and even more so for gw1. For people tired of the trinity but trying to pick it up again, they’ll be met with the same boring mechanics here, almost identical to older MMOs. It’ll drag the vanilla MMO goer to it, that’s about it.

EQN, a sandbox MMO that is also F2P. Not much known about it other than it’s made purely for fun and will certainly have much to offer for casuals. There’s no worry about this game, it’s probably going to be great IMO and harmless as it will at best just share customers. I know I will be a shared customer.

With no NDA on these games I can say that you have nothing to worry about. This game has more than enough to stand on it’s own. Wildstar isn’t a ‘better GW2’, ESO isn’t some money grabbing ‘WoW clone’ and EQN will be another good F2P with more relaxing elements to it for everyone to enjoy.

None will be bad, but none will be for everyone.

Kluzu – Engineer (Main)
Kluzukaze – Mesmer
Rhomulos Prime – Revenant

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

1. EverQuest Next
2. Wildstar
etc

Err Wildstar has Jumping puzzles, it is an intricate part of the Explorer path actually… I guess ignorance is bliss?

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

Well there is always exceptions…..GW2 is not one of those though.

So we’ll be able to conclude that you are either:
- Able to see the future
- Having access to some insider information
- Guessing.

Personally I suspect that you’re purely guessing and thus acting as a doomsday advocate.

Should i be worried ?

Jski.6180

Kind of bad argument for fees its more on the lines would you pay for say youtube would you pay for twich would you pay to use forums etc.. The goodness of the produce is not tired to the price charged for it. Its a very bad point of view “If i pay for or pay more for something it WILL be better” that just simply not true.

Keep in mind the LS is not from the B2P model its coming for the ideal of a real living story and living world things changes in it all the time you will you miss things. A P2P game could do the same thing. Just ppl did not like this LS arc so they like to blame it on things comply unrelated because its the easiest thing to do and say.

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

1. EverQuest Next
2. Wildstar
etc

EQN is the only real direct competitor to GW2, it’s not coming out for at least another year, and still needs to prove the design and tech it uses really works in a live MMO environment. I hope it does.
Wildstar and ESO are for a target audience that already left GW2 a year ago.

That means GW2s chances are pretty good.

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

People will buy it and try it. Question would be is the game worth $15 a month? Do they have the time they can devote to the game and feel they get their money’s worth? How many will sit on the fence waiting for them to go with a hybrid F2P model X months after release? How many Hardcore don’t find a satisfactory experience there either?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

Apparently, ESO has a million pre-orders, so lots buying it initially…

I know a few players and asked them if they are going to pay $15 a month? They all said no or perhaps for a few months, none were interested in subscribing long term.

Most seem to be planning on playing it nearly 24/7 for a month or two, exhaust the majority of content and leaving. Basically, treating it as a bog standard computer game not a MMO. A lot are hoping it will eventually go free to play when they may or may not return.

Wildstar, I think may be more competition for GW2 and because NCsoft is behind that one, it may effect what GW2 releases around when it launches, ie GW2 may go abit quiet, not wanting to compete too much with new, shiney Wildstar.

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Slowpoke.2749

Slowpoke.2749

1. EverQuest Next
2. Wildstar
etc

Speaking of which… I’ve been looking at the archived forum topics and found this gem.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/sab/Does-anyone-else-hate-SAB-1/first#post1883623

“But as far as bang for your development buck, SAB has done very well for GW2 proper, bringing back a lot of players who faded out, and converting a lot of WoW players.”

Seems like Guild Wars 2 was intended to compete with WoW. I wonder if that intention is still there?

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Star Citizen would be the only thing I’m currently waiting for… and its far enough off that GW2 will have a couple of make-or-break moments before then.

For me GuildWars 2 is its own worst enemy. It does so much so well, and yet the absolutely stagnant classes and one dimensional DPS-and-Dodge gameplay just doesn’t set much of a bar to rise to.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Worried about what? So there are new MMOs in the pipeline. And…?

This may come as a surprise, but game developers really do NOT worry about what other developers are doing. They may look at what other developers do, and entertain how to incorporate the ideas of others into their own game, but as a general rule, next to no one development side thinks, “Oh God… [x] game is going to do [y] on the date [z]! We need something to counter it!”

That tends to be something publishers worry about, not so much developers.

There’s actually a conspiratorial tin-foil hat part of me that sometimes thinks a part of the reason Arena.net is trying to push this in-game “Living Story Expansion-like Content” idea rather than boxed expansions so that said content is released on THEIR schedule rather than NCSoft’s.

(Bear in mind, I know that’s not the real reason, but yeah, even I dabble with the tin foil on occasion.)

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Ezekiel.1985

Ezekiel.1985

EQNext I can guarantee will not be out this year. EQN: Landmark is not an MMORPG. It’s a Norrath (EQN specifically) themed Minecraft.

Should i be worried ?

Jski.6180

Kind of bad argument for fees its more on the lines would you pay for say youtube would you pay for twich would you pay to use forums etc.. The goodness of the produce is not tired to the price charged for it. Its a very bad point of view “If i pay for or pay more for something it WILL be better” that just simply not true.

Keep in mind the LS is not from the B2P model its coming for the ideal of a real living story and living world things changes in it all the time you will you miss things. A P2P game could do the same thing. Just ppl did not like this LS arc so they like to blame it on things comply unrelated because its the easiest thing to do and say.

The Living Story is one large commercial for the gem store, that’s all. Why no xpac? Because it’s expensive, time consuming, and not gem store related.

If this year is any good indication of this coming year than yes expect a drop in the community. But as I mentioned before this will matter little to NCsoft w/release in the east, WildStar, and individual players forking out hundreds of dollars in the gem store.

That not the reason for the LS though its part of the ideal of a persistent world game. Do you think they would not add in gem store items with out the LS?

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Every single game – every last one of them – is competing with Guild Wars 2.

Not directly.

Yes, directly. Every hour and every dollar gamers invest in other games is time and money that otherwise could have been spent directly supporting Guild Wars 2.

Wildstar is a WoW 2.0…

It looks a lot like WoW, the so called endgame will be heavy raiding, and it even was made by developers that made WoW. So for me that sounds very much like WoW 2.00.

Does WoW have active dodging? Or jumping puzzles? Or player housing? One could just as easily make the argument that Wildstar has more in common with Guild Wars 2 than it does WoW.

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Zelkovan.2630

Zelkovan.2630

No, OP you shouldn’t be worried. Everytime a new MMO comes out this thread is put out: “How is GW2 gonna survive it’s population drop”. It was like this with Mists, Never winter, Rift, and something about SWTOR for a brief period of time.

See the thing is, no new game, no matter what, will kill off or severely hurt GW2. Sure, it may lose a small bit of players, but it will not die. Take Runescape for example, that game is still going strong and that’s a browser game. Only stagnation from the developers of GW2 will kill it.

The strange thing is, yes, GW2 doesn’t do a lot of things right but it does a whole lot more than other MMO’s. It’s like a weird gem. It doesn’t sparkle and shine super bright like a diamond, but it isn’t a dirty old penny. It’s like gold if I were to rate it in terms of value. GW2 has a very pretty graphic style, sleek UI, and a bunch of modern design mechanics in MMO’s that still aren’t being implemented in the new MMO’s cough ESO cough like shared loot, resource sharing, collectibles, crafting, etc. Customization is on a whole new level and completely kicks ESO’s/Wildstar’s kitten in terms of it and just has so many unique things that it isn’t a game that will get “killed”. I’ve basically developed GW2 syndrome where I can’t play most MMO’s because they lack so many quality of life things GW2 has and as a result I get frustrated when there is ugly UI or poor/uninteresting combat. What impacts me even more than I realized is how GW2 has ambient voiced dialogue that breathes life into the world. When I played in Wildstar and ESO, both of those games didn’t have any ambient voiced dialogue. All ambient dialogue was text. It made me realize how lifeless the world sounded in comparison to GW2. It felt like the only thing that made noise were the people I clicked on (which was often the case).

TL;DR- You shouldn’t be worried.

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

There is only 2 MMOs in the west who have had a gigantic commercial success, WoW and GW2. These two, as long as they have a stable quality, will always be compared to every single game coming out and will always be rumored to die.

WoW have dealt with this for 10 years, and GW2 since release.

Should i be worried ?

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Wildstar is a WoW 2.0…

There may be more to Wildstar than a cartoony WoW 2.0 in space, but that was my first impression when I checked out the game’s website many moons ago. Yes this is ignorant, but a game shouldn’t rely on players educating themselves on its intricacies to generate interest.

I think it is the problem we have to face here. People see what they want to see.
People think that if they dislike another game, all reasonable players will dislike it too.

This will not work in favour of GW2. I won’t touch Wildstar from a hundred miles away (I’m too old, with too many obligations), but everyone who truly likes core MMOs must have wet dreams about it every night before release.

ESO might look old fashioned and slow, but it has a story to tell, and the combat feels like combat and not not like running around and spamming auto-attack on everything. And AvA is simply amazing, rewarding and fun.

GW2 is just old and stale by now. No real progression, neither vertical nor horizontal. No new core content like new areas, classes, races or PvP modes since forever.

Why would players not start to try out new things at the current state of the game?

I don’t think so. To me, Wildstar is a blight. Why? Because just as we are seeing this change to what core MMOs are like, with even the almost-grand-daddy of them all, Everquest, getting innovative and bringing new things to the table, Wildstar harks right back to vanilla WoW and gives you the same old all over again.

I played the cbt for ESO and I like the immersion and I like it having a first person perspective but whether the combat is great or if it ‘has a story to tell’ is a subjective, and a whole different thing. The storytelling just didn’t pull me in. I guess I didn’t like TES’s storytelling anyways but it feels more like reading a book about the story than experiencing it as a player within that story.

The combat as a whole is great but the massive flaw I found with it is that it doesn’t have weight. Your weapons don’t seem to have weight, and enemies feel like paper. They just feel like images you slash at rather than solid beings, and the clunky animations really don’t help.