Sick of having to run to wps for each new alt

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Oroibahazopi.9074

Oroibahazopi.9074

Why, just why. I’ve done everything on one alt I really don’t need/want to do it again. All I want is to be able to join a group going to random dungeons on any alt I want rather than having to use the same toon.

Running past everything spamming evade/swiftntness/teleport is just tedious and woe to any class who can’t stack any of those.

The xp isn’t really enough to care about.

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

Same! I hate it when I decide “hey I’ll go explore on my alt with my group” => “can you link wp please” => doesn’t have wp => cries and switches back to main with 100% map completion

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

Oroibahazopi.9074

hey guys give me 20 mins to walk there k?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

-baffled-

You realize this is part of the ‘charm’ to alts right? This is like saying ‘why do I have to redo the story on an alt’ or ‘why do i have to reunlock a mission’ (in gw1). Your alt is a completely different character, its a newborn. It hasn’t experienced the story, the world, whatever.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

I’m level 80 on 1 character, why should I have to relevel the other 7?

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Then why play the other 7 at all?

Posted by: LtTiger.4568

LtTiger.4568

Why do you even have alts then, when you don’t wanna be in the “trouble” of exploring the maps again? What did you expect? A free ride cause you’ve done it once? It’s not like it’s hard to get to the dungeons around in Tyria, with any proffesion.. And you don’t have to be at the enttrance of the dungeon either. Just have to be on the map where the dungeon si. Now, how hard can it be?

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I make a point of playing in areas that require exploration for dungeon WPs with my alts if I plan on using them in those dungeons. I don’t think it’s unfair to have to re-explore. After all, it’s a different character.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

I’ve got a total of 14 chars and I agree with Lanfear — each one is unique, newborn, hasn’t “been there, done that”, so I kinda think re-discovering it all is the point? I’ve only leveled 3 of those to 80, so if there’s some type of intense content I want to hit up, I’ll roll with one of those, but when I’m playing any of the others, for me, it’s the process of, “Oh, yeah, I remember that now — that was cool!” … And then seeing what different events, skill point challenges, etc., are like with each char … Unlocking WPs per account? What would be the difference between that and unlocking trades on an account once a char had maxed one out? That char discovered that WP … only makes sense the same would apply to each char.

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

Posted by: wouw.5837

wouw.5837

why can’t they just give me everything when I start the game?

Elona is Love, Elona is life.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Lol this is like asking ‘why can’t my child just know everything already’ when its born.

Just not how it works, nor is it how its intended to work.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

I have no issue with having to explore the maps once again for WPs or POIs

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Nilanil.4721

Nilanil.4721

Lol this is like asking ‘why can’t my child just know everything already’ when its born.

Just not how it works, nor is it how its intended to work.

I think the statement was ironic. =)

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

The only time it bugs me is when doing guild events. I got tired of my main after many months, and have moved on to another character that I know consider my main, as I play him 90% of the time.

Now, I have two options.

1. Keep playing the new character for almost all content as normal, then switch to the old character for Guild events. Eventually my new character will have enough of the world unlocked to reasonably participate.

2. Do some Waypoint grinding where I ignore everything and just try to blast through zones as quickly as possible to get enough of them open on the new character.

Option one is all right, but it’s frustrating to play a character you’ve tired of just because they can keep up. Option two is dreadfully dull.

I understand having each character explore the world fresh. I just wish there were away around the dilemma above.

Posted by: Latinkuro.9420

Latinkuro.9420

-baffled-

You realize this is part of the ‘charm’ to alts right? This is like saying ‘why do I have to redo the story on an alt’ or ‘why do i have to reunlock a mission’ (in gw1). Your alt is a completely different character, its a newborn. It hasn’t experienced the story, the world, whatever.

Normally I’d agree with you but,……

since everything in this kitten game is now being stream lined to be minable / doable by a single character per day, I say unlock all way points for all my alts account wide when you reach 100% world completion on your main leave the hearts and vistas on a per character basis.

If my alts do NOT have the right to the same rewards per day as my main than the point of it being a completely new and entirely different character is MUTE

(edited by Latinkuro.9420)

Oroibahazopi.9074

The level of hyperbole in this thread is worse than kitten germany.

WPs are nothing, like I said I’ve done the pve once. Kick shins with x mobs *100, it’s boring.

I play wvw and a little pvp but sometimes I like to participate in dungeons or guild events without having to walk there.

You know you pvers get all the wps right away when you get onto a wvw map? Well kitten you you hypocrites haha

Posted by: Heylo.4938

Heylo.4938

As far as dungeons go, you don’t really need to get to the dungeon waypoint, at least the first time. So the whole, “wait 10 minutes for me to run there LOL” argument is null. You only need to be in the zone that the dungeon is in to get the Joining Party Members pop up.

I 100% the map on one character who used to be my main and who is no longer my main. For awhile, I did guild missions on the character I didn’t prefer to play, but got tired of it. So I just did a quick zone run. It doesn’t actually take too long to run to most places if you know where you’re going. I can’t remember any time during a bounty hunt where I missed the bounty because I couldn’t run there in time. Maybe the Prisoner.

I didn’t play any games where unlocking a waypoint or flight path on one character unlocked it on all of them, so maybe I just don’t understand the necessity or feeling of that being my right as a player.

Sickest Guild [NA] Blackgate

Oroibahazopi.9074

ya because running to cursed shore from lions arch takes no time at alllllllll

listen I find it boring and I played eve online for 3 years where you don’t get any of this noob insta travelling

Posted by: MightyMicah.7451

MightyMicah.7451

Why, just why. I’ve done everything on one alt I really don’t need/want to do it again. All I want is to be able to join a group going to random dungeons on any alt I want rather than having to use the same toon.

Running past everything spamming evade/swiftntness/teleport is just tedious and woe to any class who can’t stack any of those.

The xp isn’t really enough to care about.

I agree to an extent. I wish that perhaps dungeon access could be unlocked on all characters and perhaps granted from Lion’s arch or somewhere. It is indeed very annoying to sprint across the map on a new character to get to the dungeon. I mean I guess it’s just one of those things.

This is that new sound. Ya’ll ain’t ready.

Posted by: Saelune.5316

Saelune.5316

Just because you are too boring to play multiple characters doesnt mean everyone is. If you can complain of being level 80 on one character, and having to relevel, then maybe I should complain that Im not just given level 80. My characters total over 200 levels after all. People need to learn to earn their stuff, instead of expecting hand outs.

Posted by: Heylo.4938

Heylo.4938

listen I find it boring and I played eve online for 3 years where you don’t get any of this noob insta travelling

Insta traveling is for noobs…but you insist that you should get insta traveling automatically on all your characters.
It’s starting to make sense now.

Also, you’re right. I forgot about traveling from LA to Arah. That’s just something I generally do as a leveling mechanism, so I forget about that run.

Sickest Guild [NA] Blackgate

MightyMicah.7451

Just because you are too boring to play multiple characters doesnt mean everyone is. If you can complain of being level 80 on one character, and having to relevel, then maybe I should complain that Im not just given level 80. My characters total over 200 levels after all. People need to learn to earn their stuff, instead of expecting hand outs.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I believe he is solely frustrated with dungeon access. He never mentioned getting handouts.

Saelune.5316

Perhaps I am wrong, but I believe he is solely frustrated with dungeon access. He never mentioned getting handouts.

Well, I mean handouts in just being given something unearned, be it items, or waypoints or anything else you would otherwise have to get yourself on a new character.

MightyMicah.7451

Well, I mean handouts in just being given something unearned, be it items, or waypoints or anything else you would otherwise have to get yourself on a new character.

Ah, I see what you’re saying. Do you get frustrated at all with having to get the waypoints for joining dungeons? Just curious haha…

Saelune.5316

Ah, I see what you’re saying. Do you get frustrated at all with having to get the waypoints for joining dungeons? Just curious haha…

No. But also dungeons arent something you can even do until you reach level 35 anyway. So it is not like you are trying to do SF at level 1 and have 0 map completion.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

-baffled-

Normally I’d agree with you but,……

since everything in this kitten game is now being stream lined to be minable / doable by a single character per day, I say unlock all way points for all my alts account wide when you reach 100% world completion on your main leave the hearts and vistas on a per character basis.

If my alts do NOT have the right to the same rewards per day as my main than the point of it being a completely new and entirely different character is MUTE

So….your argument, is that because you now no longer have to worry about redoing all the achievements across ‘x’ number of characters, the ‘experience’ of growing that character is moot? I disagree. Growing a character, exploring the landscape (instead of just grabbing gold and going) is part of the game play. Its the downside, and the upside to an alt.

If they are just going to open the whole map for your alt, why not just hand her to you as a fully leveled 80 with max armor while they’re at it. I mean, after all, you don’t want to experience her anyway, you just want it handed to you.

Edit: This isn’t really any different than having to get to the town in order to open it for later mapping in GW1, or needing to discover the flightpath before you could use it in WoW. You had to do it for each character there too.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I got a legendary on my main, why can’t I have a legendary on all my other chars as well? I mean, I don’t want/need to do it all over again, why should I?

Oroibahazopi.9074

hyperbole, la la la hyper bolleeeee, la la la hyperbole

are you people saying you never use items on alts that you got on your main? because I do. also that any currency that isn’t soulbound, laurels and gold shouldn’t be used unless that specific char acquired it? But but but they didn’t earn that currency themselves, shaaammmmeee on youuuu

also the majority of my alts are leveled by crafting 1-80 then gear is got from playing wvw and getting gold

Saelune.5316

hyperbole, la la la hyper bolleeeee, la la la hyperbole

are you people saying you never use items on alts that you got on your main? because I do. also that any currency that isn’t soulbound, laurels and gold shouldn’t be used unless that specific char acquired it? But but but they didn’t earn that currency themselves, shaaammmmeee on youuuu

also the majority of my alts are leveled by crafting 1-80 then gear is got from playing wvw and getting gold

Most games dont even allow that much though. I was surprised when I made my first alt and found the banks were connected. It should be clear by now though, that despite that, each character is ultimatly seperate.

Oroibahazopi.9074

well it’s pretty clear that they aren’t separate because of the number of account bound things, like dailies, monthlies, only 5 guilds etc etc

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

There is a certain game that allows you to have one character that can change from one profession to another.

So for example, you’re a Level 80 Warrior and you want to be a Thief. Instead of rolling an alt, all you have to do is pass the Thief qualification quest and then you can change your profession – almost similar to gaining your GW1 secondary profession. But, you retain your character level and your Level 80 Warrior , but as a Thief, you’re just Level 1. Then if you need a Level 80, just simply change your profession.

Unfortunately, this is not that type of game but such game do exist.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

well it’s pretty clear that they aren’t separate because of the number of account bound things, like dailies, monthlies, only 5 guilds etc etc

I guess they should just roll things back to GW1 style – no dailies, no monthlies, and character based achievement/titles, 1 guild membership at a time, etc. That would make having to play everything all over again on another character, so it could have whatever title/achievement, more meaningful to you.

Posted by: CelebrityX.7014

CelebrityX.7014

Insta traveling is for noobs…but you insist that you should get insta traveling automatically on all your characters.
It’s starting to make sense now.

Also, you’re right. I forgot about traveling from LA to Arah. That’s just something I generally do as a leveling mechanism, so I forget about that run.

Running from LA to Orr takes at most 10 minutes if you use the optimal path and don’t stop to do hearts on the way or try to 100% each map (assuming you’re really only concerned with getting some waypoints on each map)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

It’s weird to me too. For some odd reason they decided only certain things should be account wide. It would have been more revolutionary to have kept everything account wide instead. I personally have a longer list of things that should have been account wide imo.

~ currency like karma gold etc
~ achievements (only certain ones) like the world exploration one, meanwhile separating certain achievmeents like dailies so they could be accomplished on multiple toons per day.

just two more I can think of at the moment in my current Carb Coma I’m dealing with from lunch.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

LanfearShadowflame.3189

It’s weird to me too. For some odd reason they decided only certain things should be account wide. It would have been more revolutionary to have kept everything account wide instead. I personally have a longer list of things that should have been account wide imo.

~ currency like karma gold etc
~ achievements (only certain ones) like the world exploration one, meanwhile separating certain achievmeents like dailies so they could be accomplished on multiple toons per day.

just two more I can think of at the moment in my current Carb Coma I’m dealing with from lunch.

I think part of the intent behind the account based daily was for people that play on more than one character a day. This way the effort put forth, no matter which chracter they were on, could be contributed to the daily. Instead of starting it on one, but losing all that progress if you switch for some reason (like if you started out farming on one character, but then swapped to another to do a dungeon with your guild mates). Another upside to the ways this works, if you can easily do the daily on one character, but take the reward for it on another, that you need the xp on, or something.

Gold is account based, just shove it in your bank and then grab it on the character you want it on….

I do agree that Karma should be ‘account’ based. It should just be one pool that all your characters can pull from.

Posted by: Moka.9641

Moka.9641

What is your suggestion then? Unlock all WP to every alts?

[AW]- The Holy Engineer

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Dear anet,

Push my easy button for me.

Love,
Some random person

Attachments:

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

-baffled-

There are two different views to alts. The first is, as you suggest, each alt is its own unique “person” that needs to individually develop. The second view is that each alt is a different “suit” that the player puts on.

Depending on your view, you have a different outlook toward repeating content.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

MightyMicah.7451

Dear anet,

Push my easy button for me.

Love,
Some random person

It’s not exactly hard to sprint to a dungeon…just a few minutes inconvenient.

Oroibahazopi.9074

it’s not a question of being hard or not

it’s boring, boring boring boring, just holding down a movement key and occasionally using a swiftness skill

either way im skipping content because as it stands now i just run past everything without a care as it is

for me there is only lions arch, the mists and wvw, i hardly every go anywhere else apart from the wps for dungeons

LanfearShadowflame.3189

it’s not a question of being hard or not

it’s boring, boring boring boring, just holding down a movement key and occasionally using a swiftness skill

either way im skipping content because as it stands now i just run past everything without a care as it is

for me there is only lions arch, the mists and wvw, i hardly every go anywhere else apart from the wps for dungeons

Then don’t play an alt, lol. If you’re skipping stuff, you’re not playing anyway.

Yes, we know its boring after a while. Anyone that has ever made multiple alts will feel like that at some point or another. Either they suck it up, or they don’t play the alt. Its really that simple.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

It doesn’t take much time at all. From LA down to the Arah WP, it takes roughly 10min on my warrior. Would be faster if it was on my eng, and slower if on my mes.

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Oroibahazopi.9074

i need alts to be competitive