Sigil of Corruption - what is "ends on down"?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ViperionNZ.2509

ViperionNZ.2509

Hi Folks,

I picked up a Major Sigil of Corruption yesterday for my Condition Damage Engineer. The Sigil says:

Gain a charge of +7 condition damage each time you kill a foe, five if you kill an enemy player. (Max 25 stacks; ends on down.)

What – exactly – does “ends on down” actually mean? I was assuming it meant when you are knocked down, or reduced to 0 hit points, or defeated, but the charges seem to run out at more or less random times. Sometimes they’ll last 10 minutes or so, sometimes much less.

They seem to always reset when you change maps (fair enough) but they were resetting on me during maps as well, without me being knocked down/taken out.

I thought maybe “down” was short for “downtime” i.e. not in combat (weapons away and running) but it hangs around then, so that’s not it.

Help?

Cheers
Viperion

Posted by: Kill.3458

Kill.3458

If you get downed the stacks reset to 0 and you have to pick them up again

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

The charges will reset when you’re reduced to 0 HP, even if you rally from that state.

As you’ve observed, they also reset when you change maps. In addition, the charges will reset if you de-equip the weapon that has the Sigil, to avoid people building charges with the Sigil weapon and then swapping at 25 charges to a weapon with a different Sigil.

That ‘fix’ will also affect you if you go underwater, as you’d swap to your underwater weapons at that point, and if they don’t have the Sigil your charges will be lost. You can avoid that by swimming directly on the surface of the water to avoid your underwater weapons from being equipped, but you’re a sitting duck at the surface and can’t defend yourself..

Posted by: Memphis.3274

Memphis.3274

The stacks will reset on :

- downed state
- switching maps
- un-equiping the weapon with the sigil
- entering/exit water (if your underwater weapon doesnt have the same sigil)

(edited by Memphis.3274)

ViperionNZ.2509

Ah… maybe I dove into water… maybe. I did not get downed at any point (as I said in the original post). I didn’t switch weapons or use kits either. Will investigate further.

Edit: Ah waypointing – that’s entirely possible. Thanks!

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

The text is referring to downed state. Stacks will be removed if you unequip the weapon; if the sigil is on your rifle and you switch to pistol/shield, the stacks will disappear. Equipping a kit will not remove stacks. Lastly, going underwater technically unequips your land weapon, thus removing the stacks. Swimming on the surface is safe, but sometimes the game forces a dive.

And in the time I took to type this, five others answered!

ViperionNZ.2509

…. I had edited my post to reflect Memphis saying Waypointing within a map resets it, but now they have edited their post to remove that, so I’m back to being confused again.

- I didn’t swap weapons (except see below) – I use double pistol exclusively (the rune is only on one of the pistols)
- I didn’t change maps
- I didn’t use a kit (although rhapsody says that doesn’t reset it anway)
- I didn’t get downed

I may have gone into water (I don’t remember) which will swap weapons and therefore cancel it out.

However, I definitely remember it running out while I was firmly running around on land, not going into water.

Posted by: Memphis.3274

Memphis.3274

…. I had edited my post to reflect Memphis saying Waypointing within a map resets it, but now they have edited their post to remove that, so I’m back to being confused again.

After i posted i started to doubt if that was true. So i did some test shooting, and turns out if didn’t reset the stacks, so i removed it.