Sigil of Fire

Sigil of Fire

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

It gives a 50% chance on Critical: Trigger a flameblast … etc..

Is there any reason to not ploink a cheap Minor one in my Exotic weapon? Aside from the difference in cooldown (which is resp. 5, 7, and 9 secs.)?

Sigil of Fire

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

any reason

Waste of slot? This effect can’t even crit.

Sigil of Fire

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

The only difference between the Masterwork, Rare and Exotic versions of this rune is the cooldown. Obviously the lower the cooldown, theoretically, more often the blast.

Kitten.

Sigil of Fire

Abakk.9176

The only difference between the Masterwork, Rare and Exotic versions of this rune is the cooldown. Obviously the lower the cooldown, theoretically, more often the blast.

Yeah, that is what i thought. So if i take the Rare i have neither the most expensive one or the slowest.

I know the difference in price isn’t too big with the Fire ones but looking at Air for example, it’s almost 3,5 gold per Sigil for a difference of 2 seconds.

I thought there was something else i missed. Thanks

Sigil of Fire

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

Yeah, that is what i thought. So if i take the Rare i have neither the most expensive one or the slowest.

I know the difference in price isn’t too big with the Fire ones but looking at Air for example, it’s almost 3,5 gold per Sigil for a difference of 2 seconds.

Sigil of Air works differently though, it has a higher damage coefficient than fire and the damage dealt is also affected by all non-crit modifiers. So with Air it is worth the Exotic sigil, to have it proc as often as possible.

Kitten.

Sigil of Fire

Abakk.9176

Sigil of Air works differently though, it has a higher damage coefficient than fire and the damage dealt is also affected by all non-crit modifiers. So with Air it is worth the Exotic sigil, to have it proc as often as possible.

Ah, hence the difference in price

I always pair the two but to be honest i thought Fire would do more damage than Air, if not much since they seem both the same through the tooltips.

Why the difference?

And how does one come by such information through the game?

Sigil of Fire

Posted by: Draus.1429

Draus.1429

Mostly, details like these are written on notes sections at official wiki.
AFAIK there is nothing to test things like this in game.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sigil_of_Fire

Sigil of Fire

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Ah, hence the difference in price

I always pair the two but to be honest i thought Fire would do more damage than Air, if not much since they seem both the same through the tooltips.

Why the difference?

And how does one come by such information through the game?

The train of thought (which is common in this game’s design) is that damage is balanced between frequency, scale, and dilution (target count/area range). When its in the middle of these 3, players tend to recognize it as “sustain damage”. As it shifts off of that center, you gain in some areas, but get weaker in others. Burst damage is focused mostly toward scale, but tends to focus over a smaller area and have longer cool down. Opposite to that is large area DOTs, or slow damage skills…. such as plaugelands, and other pulsed damage sources that act as pressure rather then significant damage.

When you apply this to Sigil of fire and air, they each serve 2 very different purposes. Sigil of air designed to focus damage toward a single target, and procs frequently as a way to help burst it down. This is why Air is more popular, as focused DPS leads to a faster kill for specified targets. Fire is supplemental cleave damage, and is designed to augment skills which lack cleave, or help assist builds that can benefit from it. Suffice to say that not many builds will directly incorporate that into the design, but does find less specific use as a cheaper alternative to Air/Force in power builds.

Sigil of Fire

Abakk.9176

I am afraid i am a complete nincompoop where it comes to all this theory behind damage in games. Always have been and probably always will.

I found on youtube a series of PvE leveling guides and it seems you can use a Berseker’s build for all the Professions (Power+Precision+Ferocity). It’s nice and simple and even suggests what weapon to use.

My use of the Air Sigil came from that and i added the Fire Sigil to it myself since i found that when it procs the health bar of the mob i fight shows a sharp drop.

So, i thank you all for shedding some light in my darkness

Sigil of Fire

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Sigil of Fire is a great option for situations in which you want to tag as many mobs as possible. The Halloween Labyrinth is probably the best example; the Orrian temple defenses/assaults are also chains where doing a little damage to many foes is more important than doing a lot of damage to just one foe.

It’s also a good choice during leveling up, because foes are relatively weak in health and armor.

Sigil of Air is a great choice when you care about doing high damage to a single foe.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”