Sigil of the Keeper - a companion sigil

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Hey everyone – for the sake of multiple classes and playstyles I’d say this would be a great sigil to add to the current pool:

Major Sigil of the Keeper

• Companions deal 5% more damage.

Superior Sigil of the Keeper

• Companions deal 10% more damage.

Imagine the new possibilities and supported playstyles:

• a good pick for mesmers, since modifiers like force or accuracy won’t affect phantasms, this would be an option for less personal but more phantasmal damage
  • ranger pets for kite builds or more pet focused playstlye
  • thief build for traps and thief guild elite, probably mostly pvp
  • necro minion master for pve buff, dunno how op or up they are in pvp, but since I don’t see them in ranked they are probably too weak
  • spirit weapon guards – arise!

What do you think? Wouldn’t a sigil like this be great for the game?

greez Xyo

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Posted by: NaotsuguLH.8915

NaotsuguLH.8915

What about engies? Turrets?
Warriors?
Eles?

Xyonon.3987

Indeed, warriors will probably not make use of this sigil, and turrets neither since they are constructs. Not every sigil has to be viable with every class.

Ele’s elementals however will get the boost.

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

Posted by: ResJudicator.7916

ResJudicator.7916

Seems like it just passively rewards more braindead passive builds, although I’d be fine with adding it in PvE.

It’d be neat if there was a sigil that granted fury and might to companions (i.e. phantasms) when you successfully land an interrupt or something, though.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

It seems like something that belongs more on a rune than a sigil. Other than that, I do like the base idea.

Having it boost Engineer turrets too would be for the best, though.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Xyonon.3987

The main reason for it to be a sigil was because of my thoughts about what I should put on my mes weapons when I want to focus on phants. The answer was “battle or strength” … but ye – that’s might and might stacking sigils are bad in orga pts. So what else? Nothing. And that “nothing” is kinda weird imo.

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

The main reason for it to be a sigil was because of my thoughts about what I should put on my mes weapons when I want to focus on phants. The answer was “battle or strength” … but ye – that’s might and might stacking sigils are bad in orga pts. So what else? Nothing. And that “nothing” is kinda weird imo.

Mesmers more have “standard” sigil choices (much like everyone), with a few extra options depending on build and/or weapon choices.

So,

• Doom
  • Battle
  • Energy
  • Air
  • Fire
  • Hydromancy (used on weapon swap to staff)
  • Torment (condi)
  • Geomancy (condi)
  • Paralyzation (With pistol)
  • Accuracy (crit chance benefits clones and phantasms, both for damage and traited bleeds)

Nothing really for Phants, but phant damage is built in and is already very strong. All these sigils benefit mesmer.

Posted by: Zenos Osgorma.2936

Zenos Osgorma.2936

10% to companions is no Different to 5% damage sigil of force but it require a pet/minons/clones/phantasums.
10% vs knockdown foes all have a damage boost and a Requirement so why can’t Companions gain a boost instead of the charater , though two handed weapons could use force + 10% companion damage but that is not different compaired to Force + 10% vs KD foes (in hammer builds this is a good rotation of damage) where with companions it is inconsistant they ether live their duration or die out quickly due to aoes.

so i see no problem with this being added as a sigil.

Xyonon.3987

@Ross Biddle:
Those are all options in pvp yet they are all semi good or bad in pve. The “standard” sigil choices for pve however won’t work as good on mes as they work on other professions, since the damage is split into mes and phant and the modis only affect the mes.

@Zenos Osgorma:
The sigil does NOT increase your damage by 10% if you have a companion. It does increase the companions damage by 10%. So there is quite a difference between this and force.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Seems like it just passively rewards more braindead passive builds, although I’d be fine with adding it in PvE.

Ahem… Celestial amulet? Yes, passive AI is the only bane of PvP.

It’d be neat if there was a sigil that granted fury and might to companions (i.e. phantasms) when you successfully land an interrupt or something, though.

Unless it grants fury for 60 seconds and 25 stacks of might, that’s another vendor trash superior sigil.

Mesmers more have “standard” sigil choices (much like everyone), with a few extra options depending on build and/or weapon choices.

Standard being “Force”, “Accuracy”, “Night”? …accept that 40% of our damage is locked in phantasms which do not benefit from those sigils.

Nothing really for Phants, but phant damage is built in and is already very strong.

Yeah, phantasm builds are meta for PvP… not.
And phantasms hit for 24k on a single skill use… not.

Warriors?
Eles?

Trooper, Trapper, Ranger, Radiance runes are viable only on certain classes (disregarding the mini exploit).

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

No. Anything that further promotes NPC gameplay should NOT be implemented. We have enough stupid “one man armies” in PvP already.

Of course if this was just PvE and WvW I couldn’t care less, but history has shown most of the sigils and runes find their way to sPvP sooner or later.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

No. Anything that further promotes NPC gameplay should NOT be implemented. We have enough stupid “one man armies” in PvP already.

Of course if this was just PvE and WvW I couldn’t care less, but history has shown most of the sigils and runes find their way to sPvP sooner or later.

On behalf of all the control playstyle characters in the game. “It’s okay..we have as little respect for you as you do for us”.

Ghost Yak

Lishtenbird.2814

History has also shown that the entire huge PvE is balanced around a single PvP game mode, which rendered some of the so called “one man army” classes almost useless and frustrating to play (hint: mesmer, necro). Why should my class have been slaughtered in the first place if I, like hundreds of thousands of other players, couldn’t care less about PvP?

Tom Gore.4035

History has also shown that the entire huge PvE is balanced around a single PvP game mode, which rendered some of the so called “one man army” classes almost useless and frustrating to play (hint: mesmer, necro). Why should my class have been slaughtered in the first place if I, like hundreds of thousands of other players, couldn’t care less about PvP?

Because in PvE there is hardly anything to balance. The mobs don’t whine if you crush them with your OP build. There isn’t even a DPS meter so the jealous other players could see your OP damage and whine about it.

And last time I checked, pet builds are still quite viable for solo PvE. They have never been viable for dungeons or mass open world events, because you’ve got the other players there to handle the pet’s jobs. Necros and Mesmers still have plenty of viable PvE builds.

In any case, from the pet build nerfs it seems Anet agrees with me in that “zoo” builds are not the thing they want to buff.

One – Piken Square

Lishtenbird.2814

Because in PvE there is hardly anything to balance.

Sure, when 3 classes can efficiently replace the other 5, everything is fine with balance.

Tom Gore.4035

Because in PvE there is hardly anything to balance.

Sure, when 3 classes can efficiently replace the other 5, everything is fine with balance.

That’s not fixable by trying to balance the classes. No matter how long you would fine-tune them, the elitists would still find the “optimal” group and start shunning the others. For these guys, 1% difference is a game-breaker and you can never reach a balance good enough for them.

You can still run any dungeon with any group composition and finish it without breaking a sweat. Maybe 1 minute slower than with an optimal group, but do you think that’s worth spending hundreds of hours balancing the classes again? Knowing that for those guys it doesn’t matter if the difference is one minute or ten seconds, they would still declare from their ivory towers that only classes X with spec Y are worthy of dungeon running?

One – Piken Square

Shadelang.3012

Because in PvE there is hardly anything to balance. The mobs don’t whine if you crush them with your OP build. There isn’t even a DPS meter so the jealous other players could see your OP damage and whine about it.

And last time I checked, pet builds are still quite viable for solo PvE. They have never been viable for dungeons or mass open world events, because you’ve got the other players there to handle the pet’s jobs. Necros and Mesmers still have plenty of viable PvE builds.

In any case, from the pet build nerfs it seems Anet agrees with me in that “zoo” builds are not the thing they want to buff.

Pet nerfs huh? Anet hates minion/control builds huh? “looks up SW changes…Looks up Turret changes” hmmm……Seems to me that anet doesnt agree with you. They want to keep these playstyles viable infact and make sure that they have there place in the game. They have also worked VERY hard to make sure that the builds don’t end up truly overpowered.

So there keeping the builds balanced. But making sure that the people that enjoy that playstyle can infact play it effectively. Isn’t that what we want with EVERY build? Now I just hope they fix necro minions pathing issues with HOT.

Ghost Yak

Tom Gore.4035

Pet nerfs huh? Anet hates minion/control builds huh? “looks up SW changes…Looks up Turret changes” hmmm……Seems to me that anet doesnt agree with you. They want to keep these playstyles viable infact and make sure that they have there place in the game. They have also worked VERY hard to make sure that the builds don’t end up truly overpowered.

So there keeping the builds balanced. But making sure that the people that enjoy that playstyle can infact play it effectively. Isn’t that what we want with EVERY build? Now I just hope they fix necro minions pathing issues with HOT.

Where did I say they hate them? I said they are not buffing them and in fact have in the past nerfed them a lot (especially spirit ranger). Hate has nothing to do with it, making them balanced is what it’s about.

I’m also all for active pet gameplay (vs. passive where you just pop out your pets and hide), which I think is also the way Anet wants to take the pet classes to. What I don’t want is more tools that promote passive pet play (for example sigils/runes that give passive boosts to pets).

One – Piken Square

Shadelang.3012

Where did I say they hate them? I said they are not buffing them and in fact have in the past nerfed them a lot (especially spirit ranger). Hate has nothing to do with it, making them balanced is what it’s about.

I’m also all for active pet gameplay (vs. passive where you just pop out your pets and hide), which I think is also the way Anet wants to take the pet classes to. What I don’t want is more tools that promote passive pet play (for example sigils/runes that give passive boosts to pets).

If thats what you meant then you should be against ALL runes and sigils that give passive benefits…Which happens to be nearly all of them. Nearly all of the runes and sigils do things that the player does not have 100% control over. At most you can shimmy the odds a bit. (pumping up your crit chance right before you engage to try and get both fire and air to proc for a heavy burst) but even then whether they happen or not is completely up to the system itself.

All the above would do is give an option for Pet focused builds that non pet builds already have.

Ghost Yak

Tom Gore.4035

If thats what you meant then you should be against ALL runes and sigils that give passive benefits…Which happens to be nearly all of them. Nearly all of the runes and sigils do things that the player does not have 100% control over. At most you can shimmy the odds a bit. (pumping up your crit chance right before you engage to try and get both fire and air to proc for a heavy burst) but even then whether they happen or not is completely up to the system itself.

All the above would do is give an option for Pet focused builds that non pet builds already have.

The difference is, you don’t do anything with those passive buffs on your character unless you use your skills, even if it was just spamming autoattack (which also has it’s time and place). Again, popping out your pets and hiding behind a pillar is not what I consider as “playing a game”.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: ZeftheWicked.3076

ZeftheWicked.3076

10% is way too little, most of ai controlled sidekicks to little to no damage with few exceptions such as ranger’s pet. But once again why would i slot to have 10% more damage on something that in general is 30% of my total damage, so in the end getting 3% damage boost, and that’s given it’s not dead nor on cooldown.

With rune of the soldier (or is it trooper now?) we cannot say that something’s unfair cause a profession or two derive no benefit from them. But that damage % has got to go up, to be on pair with character damage boosting sigils.

I propose something like this:
your companions do 33% more damage. That means anything ai controlled you summoned that is not a structure and can be critted and conditioned.

The end result in better cases being 10% dps boost total, under the condition it still lives and breathes …or at least moves in necro’s case.

(edited by ZeftheWicked.3076)

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

Ahem… Celestial amulet? Yes, passive AI is the only bane of PvP.

Unless it grants fury for 60 seconds and 25 stacks of might, that’s another vendor trash superior sigil.

Standard being “Force”, “Accuracy”, “Night”? …accept that 40% of our damage is locked in phantasms which do not benefit from those sigils.

Nothing really for Phants, but phant damage is built in and is already very strong.

Yeah, phantasm builds are meta for PvP… not.
And phantasms hit for 24k on a single skill use… not.

Warriors?
Eles?

Trooper, Trapper, Ranger, Radiance runes are viable only on certain classes (disregarding the mini exploit).

What about runes of resistance that only works off of signets for the t6. Aka useless to engies.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

(edited by Travis the Terrible.4739)

Posted by: Teutos.8620

Teutos.8620

No – I don’t want more things improving AI damage.
You should play the game, and not afk next to your minions.

EU – Multiple times #1 SoloQ pre Dec 2014 (pure MMR based ladder)
Primoridal (S1) & Exalted (S2) & Illustrious (S3) Legend

Shadelang.3012

No – I don’t want more things improving AI damage.
You should play the game, and not afk next to your minions.

Mate if you had any actual experience in the the game youd know that NO minion playstyle can afk next to there minions as they put it against an active opponent. All of the minions in the game are WORTHLESS without direct player interaction.

Ranger spirits : Litteraly require you to be active to do ANYTHING…at all….period.<——

Guardian Spirit Weapons; These while theoretically dangerous are NOT permanent. They have long cast times Long cooldowns Very low toughness and vitality.
Primarily used as methods of ACTIVE control and defense and damage. There worthless on there own without the guardian supporting them through virtues,blinds,blocks.

Necromancer Minions: There damage without heavy investment is laughable. Most of them die in two or three melee swings. The ONLY reputable damage from the build comes from bone minions. Which require you to constantly observe them in order to make sure they run in range so you can detonate them. Minions themselves do pitiful damage and control on there own. They require the necromancer to load an enemy up with disabling skills such as Chill,Poison,Weakness,Cripple, and immobilize in order for them to be even slightly dangerous. Youd have to be pretty much afk to die by them on there own. What makes them dangerous is when the necro is covering for them.

Warrior Banners: Possibly the most passive summon in the game. They literally sit there and give there full effects without you doing….anything. And yet everyones happy to see them. Nerf these all you want.

Mesmer Phantasms and Clones: ….are we really going to try to point fingers at mesmers? Feel free? Ill sit back and watch the mesmer community eat you alive.

Turret engineers: These are the only one your argument holds even the slightest water too. And even then its part of there concept. Turrets are meant to be TURRETS. Meaning the entire concept behind them is to put pressure on a point. They do that well. But lets look at what the engineer gives up.

A. Alot of there reliable condi clear. Making them extremely succeptible to ANY condi/hybrid player.

B. Heavy reliance on boons. Making them extremely succeptible to any boon steal.

C. Extremely vulnerable to ranged players.

D. Heavy reliant on CC and dodging to stay alive. So anything immune to CC for short periods of time is a nightmare.

Against any of the above I DARE you to play passively and expect to win against an opponent thats even slightly competent ..I effing dare you. The only way to win against the above is doing some pretty heavy maneuvering in some cases and leaving the safety of your point defense to engage. Good luck doing THAT passively.

Ghost Yak

Shadelang.3012

The difference is, you don’t do anything with those passive buffs on your character unless you use your skills, even if it was just spamming autoattack (which also has it’s time and place). Again, popping out your pets and hiding behind a pillar is not what I consider as “playing a game”.

Mate. I have to say that giving up 3-5 utility slots most of your traits counts as an active choice. Giving up a burst sigil slot is also a choice the player has to make. But I assume your only talking about ones in combat.

Lets look at that shal we? say I use it on a minion mancer. The only minion that this would have a significant increase to is the bone minion. Which happens to die the second its used I should remind you. The onlything passive this bone minion does is run at the enemy. I cant even count its auto attack as damage since it never hits….ever.

The bone minion…the ONLY burst damage available to a minion mancer necro. ONLY does anything when its activated causing it to DIE. Meaning for it to do ANYTHING.

The player has to Push the skill. Slow down the enemy enough for the minion to catch it. (debilitation is the core of the MMancers playstyle). Immobilize the target so it cant dodge out of it. And then detonate them…twice.

Thats 1.2.3.FOUR button presses to the one required to make use of your sigils of air and fire. Not even counting the “keeping it alive long enough to make use of it” part. Seems a bit more active to me. (and thats ONTOP of all the normal things combat requires)

Edit: thats not even counting the fact that the additional damage generated by a ten percent increase would be absolutely pathetic compared to a air or fire proc.

Ghost Yak

(edited by Shadelang.3012)