Sigil of the night!

Sigil of the night!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cauthon.1780

Cauthon.1780

Hi! I like to investigate and search for new and optimal builds for my characters. And its quite frequent in pve to find people using the Sigil of the Night.

I understand that it increases damage at night. but i don’t get why is it so popular, i guess it’s because some dungeons may occur at night but ir’s really worth the buy? i still don’t see why should i use it. Can somebody clear this up?

(edited by Cauthon.1780)

Sigil of the night!

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

Maybe its because it is a cheaper and stronger version of sigil of force?

That is my guess ^^

Sigil of the night!

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

As far as I’m aware it’s one of the most (if not THE most) powerful sigil there is when it comes to increased damage output. Comparatively, Superior Sigil of Force is only a +5% damage boost.

It’s a flat out +10% outgoing damage for a lot of dungeons and thus a lot of different foes. This makes it more powerful than e.g. Superior Sigil of Ghost slaying- (Superior Sigil of Ghost slaying is only really beneficial in AC, so you’d lose out on that extra damage potential in other dungeons/fractals).

Many of dungeons/fractals (especially more popular dungeons) take place during nighttime.

Having a weapon set with Night sigils on them and a second weapon set to use during daylight is much more convenient and cheaper than having a weapon set for every single “Superior Sigil of _ Slaying”.

Sigil of the night!

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

People tend to buy it due to the fact it’s a guaranteed boost of 10% in all instances where it is night.

This combines very well with a sigil of x-slaying which is used in a lot of dungeons: you will get a 21% bonus. Which is the highest bonus you can get on weapon. Combined with the dedicated food you’ll have 33,1% bonus, this still excludes bonusses from builds and or runes.

Just for the idea:

sigil of night, adds 10%
(1.1) * dmg
sigil of inquest slaying, adds 10% 21% total!
(1.1*1.1) * dmg = 1.21 dmg
superior potion of inquest slaying, adds10% 33.1% total!
(1.1*1.1*1.1) * dmg=1,331 * dmg

Due to the bonusses are multiplying this will scale up quite considerably depending on builds:

EXAMPLE: Guardian Sword/* with zerk armor of strength: (2/5/0/5/2) (THEORY!)
(the rest also counts for the modifier ofcourse, but will be the same for comparison:)
rune of strength 5% (1.1*1.1*1.1*1.05) (scholar = preferable ->10% above 90% life)
powerful blades 10% (1.1*1.1*1.1*1.05*1.1)
fiery wrath 10% (1.1*1.1*1.1*1.05*1.1*1.1)
radient power 10% (1.1*1.1*1.1*1.05*1.1*1.1)
elusive power 10% (1.1*1.1*1.1*1.05*1.1*1.1*1.1)
unscathed contender 20% (1.1*1.1*1.1*1.05*1.1*1.1*1.1*1.2)

This will amount to bonuses being 2.23 times your original dmg ! (based on strength)
Without food and sigil of night & sigil of x -slaying you are at 1,67 times… (=33,1% difference)
(This will amount to bonuses being 2.34 times your original dmg !(based on scholar, but still 33.1% difference))

Of course enemy must be burning (also fulfills conditions)
and you must be wielding a sword and have less then full stamina, might and aegis or
and you must be wielding a sword and have less then full stamina, above 90% health and aegis…

/EXAMPLE

This is just (part of) the dmg multiplier, AND the power, additional food, might or fury, and /or recharge reductions still need to be taken into account. Due to the multiplication of the bonusses you will end up with a hight amount then 10% after it’s stacked a few times with other bonuses. A 20% reduction in recharge will boost dmg condsiderably… but I’m not going into dmg-chains and such. Just take this as a fact

This is called dungeon-specific gear. it requires special weapons for dungeons or even dungeon paths. It also means you will generally have exotics for this purpose which tend to be 5% less dmg compared to an ascended weapon. An ascended weapon with sigil of night and power will do the same as the several exotic weapon with the enemy specific sigils. The extremest would be a dedicated ascended dungeon weapon of course… But IMHO it’s not that wise to get 8 times the set of ascended weapons for this purpose.

Most “speedruns” are run without food, losing 10% potential dmg, AND without “dungeon specific weapons” losing 33% potential dmg already… sometimes compensated by a sigil of force (5%).

But this type of weapons buffing is generally only used by Speedclear Guilds and is not really relevant for most lvl 80 zerk ppl, als long as they do not take an effort to max out. (READ: use food, builds,dedicated weapons, optimized parties, full buffs (yes thats 25 stacks of might, fury banners (=warrior pug carrier?))

Even if they would be doing so they would need to find 4 like minded ppl fitting the optimized party, but when it’s achieved a party can do 33% more dmg, without any effort at all.

Thus making your 5 person party a 6.66 person party… (just by swapping a weapon and taking some food and taking several nearly the same weapons) compared to 5 people using the same builds and gear, but not using the sigils AND the food.

IMHO if people would stack, use optimized builds & gear AND the food, would buff and would be using the dungeon specific sigils all DUNGEON content would be faceroll instantaneous….

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Sigil of the night!

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Force and night sigils are popular for certain dungeon and fractal speed clear runs as many dungeons and fractal levels (not all) are set at night. With full zerker groups it adds extra 15% damage per player. Combined with 5 players thats an extra 75% damage output by the party.

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Sigil of the night!

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

Only speed clear or guilds that care about efficiency really use night.

I use slaying sigil/night or force/night (eg. AC) in general with the relevant slaying potions for extra 10% but pugs rarely if ever do that.

Also due to dungeon scaling thingy, using exotic weapon is basically the same as ascended weapon in dungeons like AC. I just have an exotic weapon to swap to while I keep ascended only for coe/arah.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Sigil of the night!

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Force and night sigils are popular for certain dungeon and fractal speed clear runs as many dungeons and fractal levels (not all) are set at night. With full zerker groups it adds extra 15% damage per player. Combined with 5 players thats an extra 75% damage output by the party.

No it’s 15% extra per person, so an extra 15% for the party. Combined they fight like 5.75 people that’s true. but thats a 15% increase.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.

Sigil of the night!

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

math is not my friend my apologies lol, yea also combining with slayer potions can add up to an additional 10% dmg per player as well

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Sigil of the night!

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

So for short: (%’s of additional dmg above other multipliers)

Sigil of force =5%
Sigil of night =10%
Sigil of force & sigil of night =15.5%
Sigil of x-slaying & sigil of force= 15,5%
Sigil of x-slaying & sigil of night = 21%

Sigil of force & food = 15.5% (general day dungeon)
(Sigil of night & food =21%)
Sigil of force & sigil of night & food = 27% (general night dungeon)
Sigil of x-slaying & sigil of force & food =27% (specific day-dungeon)
Sigil of x-slaying & sigil of night & food= 33% (specific night dungeon)

per person, given they have the same build.

Sigil of the night!

Posted by: Cauthon.1780

Cauthon.1780

such a master class! :p thanks!

Sigil of the night!

Posted by: petyr baelish.9675

petyr baelish.9675

These threads give the optimal combinations of potions and sigils for all dungeons and fractals.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Guide-to-Sigils-and-Potions-in-Dungeons/first
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/gw2dungeons-Help-verifying-enemy-types/first

The most cost efficient way to run with optimal sigils is to get 3 weapon sets: night/force + x/force + x/night and get a stack with frailty and useful slaying sigils in your inventory (they only cost 2.55s each, except for undead slaying) then replace x with the appropriate sigil for your dungeon.
If you want to be lazy/cheap running frailty/force works everywhere. You can run accuracy/force as well but on some builds in some groups you can overcrit. Frailty will be almost always better since 1 vuln = +1% party dps.

(edited by petyr baelish.9675)

Sigil of the night!

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Only difference between Frailty and x-Slaying is the fact you can expect dungeon builds to stack vunerability by default (Warrior (the Pug-carrier) will do vulnerability with precision trait line. Guardians tend to take vulnerability on blind or vulnerability on symbols) rangers can stack 20 vulnerability instant with rapidfire and first stikes. necro’s can do a lot of vulnerability, and so on, when having a long fight a water attuned ele will be stacking vulnerability (I’d run vulnerability anyways on a support ele due to the fact you can have 20% additional dmg when target is vunerable…). Though most listed proffesions are rare in some dungeon(s) they can actually improve the party DPS though they seem not to be the ideal choices, but when considering you will not have the need for frailty and can apply another fixed % sigil you’ll understand why the fixed % sigils are usefull in the end…

When 3 people run frailty, you’ll max out vulnerability anyhow, so any stacks above are wasted and so are 2 sigil spaces. I expect most parties to have benefits if 1 or 2 people use frailty.

Also the bonues of x-slaying will be permanent, so you will not have to stack ’m.

But I agree vulnerability will do more dmg then other combos, BUT when vulnerability is up due to 2 or 3 people in your party spamming it on each hit, you will be needing a dedicated set for improved dps, also with 3 warriors taking frailty at all would be a wast of dps as they should be able to stack max vulnerability WITHOUT frailty.

Sigil of Bloodlust is not mentioned in this story anywhere, as the benefits of bloodlust decline when original power is higher, and taking it isn’t worth it even though it can be useful in some situations.
EXPLAIN:
for a ~3000 power warrior 250 additional powerseems a nice 8.33% increase but when considering might the now 3875 power warrior will only gain 6.45%, which will be removed on down and needs to be build up . In all cases it should be said a low power character (read: power as a minor stat) will reap bigger benefits from a sigil of bloodlust (2000 power ->12,5%, 2500 power -> 10%) of course also here bonuses will drop with higher might.
/EXPLAIN

Sigil of the night!

Posted by: cafard.8953

cafard.8953

Also, applying an AC skin to the weapon is the easiest way to keep track of the Sigil is active or not. If the weapon glows blue, it’s night time, +10% yay. If it stops glowing, time to switch to the alternate weapon with the Sigil of Force instead.

Olaf Oakmane [KA]
Save the Bell Choir activity!

Sigil of the night!

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Twilight Arbor
Ascalonian Catacombs
Sorrows Embrace
Citadel of Flame
Crucible of Eternity

All those dungeons are night dungeons, hence it will always be night in those. So you got a permanent 10% damage boost.

Sigil of the night!

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Since most dungeons are nighttime setting, it’s superior than Force for dungeons. With that said, if you don’t really intend to be running dungeons then it’s nothing more than the description, so upgrade as fit.

Also, applying an AC skin to the weapon is the easiest way to keep track of the Sigil is active or not. If the weapon glows blue, it’s night time, +10% yay. If it stops glowing, time to switch to the alternate weapon with the Sigil of Force instead.

I just use Eternity. If I see Twilight, it’s nighttime. I’m so fancy.