Silly hats. Do you want them?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

So we’ve gotten another addition to the silly hat collection. I’m talking about the aurene hat. Would you buy it if you haven’t? Do you like items like these?

I don’t, I feel they take away from the aesthetic of the game. that’s just me though.
I feel if they’re going to release hats, I’d pay for musketeer type items/helms/ hoods with hairstyles. Outfits that aren’t some robotic freak of nature.
How do you feel about fashion wars 2?

(edited by Chasind.3128)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I agree with you on – I think GW2 has long since lost its sense of identity when it comes to aesthetics and has succumbed to a much more wacky and cartoony style than even its predecssor.

However, since they seem popular enough to keep funds coming into the game, it is just one of those things to ignore or put up with. On the plus side, the sheer volume of mix and match choices does allow for a great deal of variation out there.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I don’t prefer silly hats. However I assume that if Anet bothered to produce one (and the backpack cover, etc. also) there must be a pretty good market for them.

I think that Anet doesn’t really listen to the players when it comes to armor style preferences. We’ve been asking for more non-trenchcoat options in Medium for years and Anet pretty much said “too bad” and gave us trenchcoat Legendary armor. And we even have their official response to that effect in the video about it.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I like them.

I haven’t bought this one yet but I may well get it. I have the panda hat and use it on a regular basis, and I’ve considered buying some of the others but thought they were a bit too similar to the panda hat.

Of course they don’t suit all my characters, and even the ones who do use them don’t wear them all the time, but that’s true of any skin.

Overall I think the best goal for Anet to aim for is a wide variety of skins – serious ones, silly ones, glowy ones with particle effects and plain ones, revealing armour and fully covered, symmetrical and asymmetrical…and so on. They’re never going to be able to make one style of armour that everyone likes and which suits everyone’s characters so the nearest they can come to making everyone happy is to let them choose.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Djinn.9245

Overall I think the best goal for Anet to aim for is a wide variety of skins – serious ones, silly ones, glowy ones with particle effects and plain ones, revealing armour and fully covered, symmetrical and asymmetrical…and so on. They’re never going to be able to make one style of armour that everyone likes and which suits everyone’s characters so the nearest they can come to making everyone happy is to let them choose.

I agree that it would be nice if the looks were spread more evenly. Unfortunately it seems Anet doesn’t agree. It isn’t clear to me why not.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

I don’t get stressed over how other people choose to enjoy the game, so it doesn’t bother me that some cute or comical stuff is in the game.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I agree with you on – I think GW2 has long since lost its sense of identity when it comes to aesthetics and has succumbed to a much more wacky and cartoony style than even its predecessor.

Yeah, I agree. I feel like the designers are trying, but they’re not connecting with a consistent aesthetic, and some of them are downright bad (Slayer, Mordrem anything, some of the shoulders/gloves/wings).

We’ve been clamoring for simpler, close-cut designs (and summer fashions!), but what we get are goofy hats, flaming backpacks, and buttcapes.

And to answer the question: no hats, they make me bald.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

Maybe if they were cuter. I sometimes use the kitty hat but the shape is a little odd and makes my character seem like it’s wearing a cat bucket on its head lol. :P

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

The paper bags are hats and they are silly and I do want them so … yes?

Posted by: TempestMoon.5403

TempestMoon.5403

Take it or leave it. I’m also a big supporter of being aesthetically proper so I wouldn’t buy them myself but even if these items weren’t in the game people would find some other way of looking ridiculous. To be honest the battle is already lost with the stupid names some people use anyway.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I love silly hats. I loved them in GW1, and I love them in GW2. I don’t personally plan on buying the Aurene silly hat, but I’ve bought plenty of others.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think that Anet doesn’t really listen to the players when it comes to armor style preferences.

This sums it up, I think. So, it won’t matter if we want them or not.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Hmm…in this thread there is feedback both for and against silly hats. Who should ArenaNet listen to?

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

It’s okay if other people wear them but I don’t want them on my characters.

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

No.
Make more serious armor.
Especially for medium armor classes I want chainmail and plated armor.

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t buy them but obviously others do, otherwise ANet wouldn’t be making new ones.

More gemstore items sold, more money for the things I do want, that’s close enough to a win win for me.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

I’d like an outfit/armor design contest. I’ve always been more… practical when it came to playing classes like a mage, rouge or warrior. I don’t wear skimpy armor for a battle mage, it makes no sense to me. A Mesmer maybe, they come off enchantress type as do necromancers. Warriors shouldn’t be showing skin imo but to each their own. I’d pay for more practical styled outfits.
I feel like with a contest we could atleast vote & maybe anetwould see “hey, we’d make more with more practical wear vs designing a rainbow donkey mask.”

Posted by: Stevieboy.4192

Stevieboy.4192

After spending weeks/months grinding out substandard crappy drops to make a small pathetic bit of gold, why wouldn’t I use it to buy a stupid hat so I can have a fuzzy feeling for five seconds before I hide it away on my character…
That’s a no If you were wondering….

Due to inactivity…

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

Why do you guys keep making posts like this everytime a new gem store skin comes out? Why do you think being that negative is ok? If you don’t like the skin they shouldn’t be allowed to make it?

The new hat matches the other hats. Breaking news you aren’t going to like every piece of clothing in a store.

Stevieboy.4192

Maybe if they spent more time on decent armor sets than silly hats I’d be less negative.

Due to inactivity…

MoarChaos.8320

Again they aren’t allowed to have silly hats because of that? Being constructive with what you want and what you aren’t happy with is one thing. You don’t need to bash on the newest skin to go reach that debate though. I don’t think they’re looking for inspiration for something entirely different on the negative feedback for an optional hat.

MoarChaos.8320

It’s like being angry there’s a new flavor of donut/ice cream that you don’t like.

Stevieboy.4192

They can have all the overpriced silly hats they want if they released some decent stuff along with it…
As for angry?
Hardly…
I was asked if I want silly hats and I answered…

Due to inactivity…

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Why do you guys keep making posts like this everytime a new gem store skin comes out? Why do you think being that negative is ok? If you don’t like the skin they shouldn’t be allowed to make it?

The new hat matches the other hats. Breaking news you aren’t going to like every piece of clothing in a store.

Well I do like everything in the Dressman store so there is that.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

$5/400 gem silly hats pay the bills in an MMO without a sub while not selling power.

Heck if ANet offer a weapon skin set that looks like they are made from balloons and it sells, more power to them. It’s no skin off my nose and if it keeps the lights on, great.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The train has left that station. The game had silly stuff in it since the first day.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I do not want them.

I cannot honestly say that I think they take away from the aesthetics of the game as the aesthetics of the game have, in my opinion, long since been compromised.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Hats are love, but they don’t work well in GW2 because ANet doesn’t understand hair.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: TheLordQ.1857

TheLordQ.1857

I wouldn’t spend any amount of money on them, but I couldn’t care less if other people do.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

as long as they can’t even get hair in hoods i can’t even take Anet seriously, skyrim modders have done this for years yet they never even got one simple hat right…

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Would you buy it if you haven’t? Do you like items like these?

No, and no.

Outfits that aren’t some robotic freak of nature.
How do you feel about fashion wars 2?

The same.

I agree with you on – I think GW2 has long since lost its sense of identity when it comes to aesthetics and has succumbed to a much more wacky and cartoony style than even its predecssor.

This is especially true. I have criticized it myself for a long time. Either we get completely silly items (like the legendary candelabra or those “hats”) that fit the increasingly childish tone of the game (dialogue etc.), or we get armor and weapon sets that look like out of some sci-fi movie, but certainly don’t fit a classic fantasy setting. Awful.

The last really good item in the Gem Store was the Mercenary Backpack, the last good armor or weapon set… well, I don’t even recall.

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

Djinn.9245

I do have to say that very rarely Anet does add something really nice looking to the game. The new WvW backpack / wings is one of the best looking items in the game and very thematic for combat also. If they are capable of this level of awesome, I don’t know what is wrong that it doesn’t happen more often.

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

I like the Aureen hat because I think it’s kind of cute, but I understand if most people don’t like it and are disappointed that there aren’t more things that they like.

In my opinion, as long as there’s a good balance of cool/fantasy items then it’s ok to add a few cute/silly items to give us the ability to create a variety of appearances for our characters. I like to have some elegant characters, some barbaric characters, some natural characters, as well as cute/silly characters. If they only made silly items from here out, the game would feel starved of anything different, though, so it’s all relative.

Posted by: eduardo.1436

eduardo.1436

I like them. While I dont want it to be a fuzzy hat Im still waiting for hat-r-tron

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I have a lot of skins I’ll never wear, but don’t care if others do. And if they spend $$$ to get some of them, all the better.

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

I’ve been so impressed with the endless combinations for mixing and matching skins in this game. Over and over again I’ve found skins that are perfect for a look I’m working on, even though I had no intention of using that skin when I unlocked it! So I’ve learned never to write off even the ugliest/silliest skin, because I just never know what is going to work.

Who knows? Maybe a silly hat is just what I need as an excuse to break out Quip again!

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

While those currently available hats don’t do anything for me, the answer on the question “Silly hats. Do you want them?” is clearly “Yes”.

I’d like to see (and) a shiny tinfoil hat & even more a duncecap. Or a complete jester outfit.
And a for my engineer a lightning arrester helmet. Technically a [Flash of Genius Conductor Helmet]. Asura only, naturally.

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I personally don’t like the hats at all but it seems like there’s a market for them. If others like them, so be it!

I think the reason I don’t like them is that I never have a helm showing, because I have usually used a makeover or hair kit so want to show my toons’ faces and hair.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)