Silver Doubloons Price and Rarity

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

I took 12 of every pebble, nugget and lump as well as a few old marks I had collecting dust in my bank hoard.

I got 2 Platnium Doubs, 4 Golds and 6 Silver and a load of Coppers… By the end I used all the pebbles I took, had a few odd nuggets and lots of lumps and marks left…… the forge drops at approx. 5% apparently when throwing these space fillers into it….. RNG is fickle tho and I am sure if I do it today the results will be less than great or maybe even better…. but it beats hoping for bags to drop 1 every now and then or pay the silly prices on TP now… I mean there isn’t really that much use for the items used to forge the silver doubloons anyway so its a no brainer imo.

Posted by: OliverT.9021

OliverT.9021

14th September 2013, as at 8:39pm,
Total supply on the trading post = 357
Buy Price = 1g 12s 61c
Sell Price = 1g 30s 60c

15th September 2013, as at 7:02pm,
Total supply on the trading post = 513
Buy Price = 1g 17s
Sell Price = 1g 19s 99c

16th September 2013, as at 7:17pm,
Total supply on the trading post = 392
Buy Price = 1g 13s 26c
Sell Price = 1g 28s 88c

OliverT.9021

Buy Price = 1g 12s 61c
Sell Price = 1g 30s 60c

Buy Price = 1g 17s
Sell Price = 1g 19s 99c

Buy Price = 1g 13s 26c
Sell Price = 1g 28s 88c

17th September 2013, as at 7:44pm,
Total supply on the trading post = 371
Buy Price = 1g 15s 23c
Sell Price = 1g 48s 97c

Assuming ANet is not going to do anything about this item, this has got to be the best investment decision anyone should make. Insufficient supply sources. Out of reach from the level 80s. Only available to level 24 – 32 toons. Price increases at a rate of approximately 5g a day for a stack of 250.

Posted by: arabeth.2361

arabeth.2361

Someone else linked this earlier but you really need to look at this link.
http://www.guildwarstrade.com/item/24502-silver-doubloon

The price spikes: yes. But it also drops hours later. Your thread is honestly probably contributing to the gradual average increase, since that’s how this economy works: anyone who tells people about a deal causes others to invest in that deal. (If I were really cynical, I’d wonder if you weren’t doing that on purpose.)

I feel for you: I do. They need a copper→silver forge recipe, they need a platinum→gold and gold→silver recipe, and they also shouldn’t use t2 mats for legendaries. It sucks. You know what else sucks? The fact that Trading Post PvP is far and away the most profitable way to play this game, period. You will never make more money actually playing than you will shifting items around on the TP. And there’s no way this will change.

If 350g is bumming you out, then the fact that most lengendaries will end up costing you over 1500g + lots of time and effort will probably bum you out further. Precursors alone are in the 800g range these days. The precursor for the legendary I will never make just shot up over 300g in the last month. That’s pretty much the same as your doubloons. Unless you are extremely good at timing the market, the cost investment is going to be ridiculous. And it’s not like other legendary ingredients haven’t spiked, either. John Smith wrote earlier that a slight increase in availability of precursors would actually increase their price, since more people would think about jumping into the legendary game. Then we had a massive farming event where everyone constantly had 300%+ Magic Find. It’s no surprise that this rippled out into other ingredients as well. Everything is more expensive right now because we just had a light bit of concentrated inflation. The next patch is helping tamper that back down, but it will take a while to reach all the various markets (and some may stay changed forever).

My advice is to dump your doubloons when they spike one day and give up on a legendary. If it’s not fun, then it’s not fun. And unless you’re a whiz at TP PvP, you probably won’t have a lot of fun making gold for a legendary.

OliverT.9021

The reason why I am highlighting the plight of Silver Doubloons, is hoping against hope that it would get ANet’s attention, the same way I did previously with T6 dust.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/T6-Dust-Crisis/first

You can see how I kept track of the buying and selling prices for each day, as well as the total supply that is on the auction house. I’m not sure if ANet’s subsequent action to allow Globs of Ectoplasms to be salvageable into T6 dust was a result of my thread, but I’d like to think that it helped bring attention to that matter.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

The reason why I am highlighting the plight of Silver Doubloons, is hoping against hope that it would get ANet’s attention, the same way I did previously with T6 dust.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/T6-Dust-Crisis/first

You can see how I kept track of the buying and selling prices for each day, as well as the total supply that is on the auction house. I’m not sure if ANet’s subsequent action to allow Globs of Ectoplasms to be salvageable into T6 dust was a result of my thread, but I’d like to think that it helped bring attention to that matter.

This is a much different situation because dust is used in several MF recipes while doubloons are only used for crafting a single Legendary. And with new/updated Legendaries coming, they may have already found a solution.

And, yes, JS foreshadowed the rise in precursor prices – piles of easy-to-acquire gold has pushed some players off the fence and convinced them to put their new wealth to work on a Legendary weapon. Increased demand for roughly the same supply means increased prices. But relatively soon there will be other things to spend that money on, too, so the prices will eventually come down.

Without a firm idea of what is in store for the precursor/Legendary process in the next few months, I wouldn’t suggest making any long-term investments in the items or their associated mats.

OliverT.9021

While it’s true that T6 dust is used more, the situation surrounding the Silver Doubloons is rather unique on its own, which is why I thought there is a need to intervene.

Assuming ArenaNet developers have the same thought process as you do for the aforesaid reasons, this has got to be the best investment decision anyone should make.

1. Insufficient supply sources.
2. Out of reach from the level 80s to generate sufficient supply. Only available to level 24 – 32 toons.

3. Price increases at a rate of approximately 5g a day for a stack of 250, which generates passive income and beats gold inflation via incredulous ROI. Once you sell them, you are not probably going to get them back through other means except via the auction house.

4. There are 12 legendary hammer precursors on sale at the trading post but only sufficient quantity of Silver Doubloons at any one time on the auction house to craft maybe 1 or 2 Juggernauts.

One can see where this is going to lead.

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

Without a firm idea of what is in store for the precursor/Legendary process in the next few months, I wouldn’t suggest making any long-term investments in the items or their associated mats.

I don’t see anyone suggesting that. The OP seems to be asking for the opposite situation, actually, where the inflated price of Silver Dubloons is deflated, which would destroy any such investment.

You may be correct that the future Precursor/Legendary stuff impacts this, but I think the most likely impact is that ArenaNet will implement a long, complex, expensive process for getting account-bound or soulbound Precursors, which will only increase the amount of interest in the tiny number of Silver Dubloons out there, unless something is done (aside from increasing the supply, they could also change the recipe, but that latter would have bad effects on players who are currently working on acquiring enough dubloons).

OliverT.9021

Buy Price = 1g 12s 61c
Sell Price = 1g 30s 60c

Buy Price = 1g 17s
Sell Price = 1g 19s 99c

Buy Price = 1g 13s 26c
Sell Price = 1g 28s 88c

17th September 2013, as at 7:44pm,
Total supply on the trading post = 371
Buy Price = 1g 15s 23c
Sell Price = 1g 48s 97c

18th September 2013, as at 7:08pm,
Total supply on the trading post = 461
Buy Price = 1g 25s
Sell Price = 1g 39s 30c

Since 14th September, a 250 stack of Silver Doubloons costs 32.5g more (using the buy price) than where it is at the moment. From the first post where I started to track prices, a 250 stack of Silver Doubloons costs 60g more over a mere 10 days.

tolunart.2095

1. Insufficient supply sources.
2. Out of reach from the level 80s to generate sufficient supply. Only available to level 24 – 32 toons.

3. Price increases at a rate of approximately 5g a day for a stack of 250, which generates passive income and beats gold inflation via incredulous ROI. Once you sell them, you are not probably going to get them back through other means except via the auction house.

4. There are 12 legendary hammer precursors on sale at the trading post but only sufficient quantity of Silver Doubloons at any one time on the auction house to craft maybe 1 or 2 Juggernauts.

One can see where this is going to lead.

There are at least four “bags of stuff” that can drop silver doubloons (I found one in another bag but I forget which one). As an experiment last week I bought some off the TP and spent some time opening them and set aside the silver doubloons. I got an average of one per stack of bags and over the course of three days I easily got 50 or 60 of them. It requires some patience but you can put in buy orders for the bags and go at your own pace so you don’t spend too much. The other mats that drop can be used for crafting other things or sold. The net result is that you either get the doubloons you need for free, make a few gold selling the stuff you don’t need, or make back some of the money you spent. In any case it’s much, much cheaper than simply buying the doubloons that are for sale on the TP at 1.3+ gold each.

The supply of bags is much higher than doubloons, so they are easier to get. The drops are not level-based so 80s can open small/light miner’s bags and such and still get them. The prices of these bags have gone up a bit (probably because I and others have mentioned them as a source of silver doubloons), but you can set your price limit with buy orders. If you absolutely need to finish the Juggernaut right now there will usually be enough doubloons on the TP to do it, but if you are patient and careful with your money there are much better ways to do it.

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

lol, ya, I kinda liked that these went up, knew that they would when this patch came out, I was going for the Jugg but didn’t have much gold at the time and bought up as many of the doubloons as I could as fast as I could at the time and then they were only 51s, I bought just over 100 of them, and then I started crafting them, and by time the patch hit I had about 120. I sat and watched the price rise, didn’t go up that high at first but then it did, and then it kept going, next think I knew i was able to sell off 147 silver doubloons for 1g50s each, made quit a bit off them for what I spent on them. Thanks Anet, I think you all are a bunch of idiots but you do me a solid sometimes.

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

Posted by: Sauzo.6821

Sauzo.6821

Sure in hell glad I got mine at around 70-80s each. I love jugg, hammer is so much fun. And basically this is the same as charged lodestones were. Bottom line is suck it up and buy em, MF em, or buy bags and open them. Legendaries come down to grind hard and fast and get one soon or play the game at a relaxed pace and get one in a year. How bad do you want a legendary?

And even if the TP only shows 200 or so for sale, if you put a buy order in high enough, I guarantee you will get enough to make one…or 10. I put a buy order in for my 250 and got it filled in prolly like 2 hours.

Crafted: Meteorlogicus, Incinerator, Juggernaut, Sunrise, Bifrost, The Dreamer, Kudzu
Am I legendary yet!?

(edited by Sauzo.6821)

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

man wish I had 358 gold LOL

I sell my silvers whenever I go farming for the chests in the open world.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

tolunart.2095

And even if the TP only shows 200 or so for sale, if you put a buy order in high enough, I guarantee you will get enough to make one…or 10. I put a buy order in for my 250 and got it filled in prolly like 2 hours.

Aside from buy orders, silver doubloons sell almost as fast as you can list sell orders for them. A once-a-day snapshot of how many sell orders there are does nothing to indicate how many hundreds or thousands sold during the 24 hours between snapshots.

I know I sold at least 60 that were not shown in the OP’s records. And surely dozens, or hundreds, of other players are doing the same thing I did.

They are in high demand and moving very quickly, which is why the price is going up. Whether people are hoarding them to sell later or collecting stacks for creating Juggernaut, or both, is open to interpretation. But for now, demand exceeds supply so if you have a method to obtain them for 1g or less, you should be able to make some money at it.

(edited by tolunart.2095)