Silver fed endless salvager.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: mauried.5608

mauried.5608

Anyone know how often this item appears for sale in the gem store?
Its the upmarket version of the copper fed endless salvaging tool.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Only anet knows

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There’s no set pattern to anything in the gem shop except things tied to specific content, like Wintersday brings ice/wintry-themed items back (and even that’s not guaranteed).

Personally, I can’t find any use for the silver-fed as long as I have mystic stones from which to make mystic kits. Those end up being cheaper for me. Outside of farming AB/ML + silverwastes non-stop with no time to visit a bank, it’s hard for me to imagine needing the convenience of silver-fed. 250 uses goes a long way.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

I’m with you OP, I’ve been waiting for this item too.

Personally, I can’t find any use for the silver-fed as long as I have mystic stones from which to make mystic kits. Those end up being cheaper for me. Outside of farming AB/ML + silverwastes non-stop with no time to visit a bank, it’s hard for me to imagine needing the convenience of silver-fed. 250 uses goes a long way.

I always run out of Mystic forge stones. Always. I’m not the sort of player to fuddle about and buy different kits either, for different rarities to save a few copper or 1-2 silver. I tried but it was inconvenient for me. I don’t want to have to think of which kit is best for which item, outside of Black Lion kits for certain Exotics with more valuable runes/sigils in them.

Kitten.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m with you OP, I’ve been waiting for this item too.

I always run out of Mystic forge stones. Always. I’m not the sort of player to fuddle about and buy different kits either, for different rarities to save a few copper or 1-2 silver. I tried but it was inconvenient for me. I don’t want to have to think of which kit is best for which item, outside of Black Lion kits for certain Exotics with more valuable runes/sigils in them.

Ah, okay; thanks for the explanation. That makes more sense than what I imagined.

I don’t really think about it: greens and below get ‘regular’ kits; exotics get sold (not salvaged) and rares need special treatment anyhow. FYI it’s a lot more than “a few silver” difference over the course of a year.

Posted by: usnedward.9023

usnedward.9023

It is usually not up for sale long either when they do put it up. I want to say 24 hours.

Granted Death – Necro
Consumed Hate – Thief
Unlucky Scrub – Ranger

Haleydawn.3764

FYI it’s a lot more than “a few silver” difference over the course of a year.

Maybe so, but it’s not enough to encourage me to buy different kits for different uses, I’d rather just buy the kits I usually use and stick with it. I never struggle with gold so it’s kind of pointless saying I can save a bit more over the course of a year using different kits /shrug.

Kitten.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

FYI it’s a lot more than “a few silver” difference over the course of a year.

Maybe so, but it’s not enough to encourage me to buy different kits for different uses, I’d rather just buy the kits I usually use and stick with it. I never struggle with gold so it’s kind of pointless saying I can save a bit more over the course of a year using different kits /shrug.

It’s not at all pointless saying that that one can save 200 gold/year: you might not need the gold, but others reading this thread are likely to be interested. I’d rather folks have access to the same data, allowing each of us to make our own decision.

(It takes about 35k salvages to recoup the cost of buying the Copper-fed in place of Silver-fed, i.e. if you repeat Agent of Entropy 100-200 times/year, you’ll pay it off in the first year and save hundreds of gold per year thereafter. Math.)

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

In terms of utility, the salvage kit is pretty awful because mystic kits are way more cost efficient and have 250 charges already. Mystic forge stones also really aren’t good for doing anything else besides making kits. You could in theory save 30s using a stone as substitute for mystic forging, but in practice that’s pretty awful given that the mystic stone counts as a random item, making it worse than an actual rare and useless for precursor aiming. Not to mention a lot of exotics sell at junk prices now. That pretty much relegates it to cheaply forging useless soulbound exotics

And regardless, the need to salvage rare items isn’t nearly as much as lesser items. One is mostly buying it for the look and those extra sounds— which unfortunately are the same as the copper one.

And yes I have one, bu I bought it purely for style. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you are truly out of Mystic Stones/kits and probably won’t earn any future AP

As for myself, I use mystic kits when I’m idling in town and are clearing things out after opening bags. The characters that I play don’t carry the kits anymore. I have them in either my bank or on my bag opener character.

Attachments:

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

In terms of utility, the salvage kit is pretty awful because mystic kits are way more cost efficient and have 250 charges already. Mystic forge stones also really aren’t good for doing anything else besides making kits. You could in theory save 30s using a stone as substitute for mystic forging, but in practice that’s pretty awful given that the mystic stone counts as a random item, making it worse than an actual rare and useless for precursor aiming. Not to mention a lot of exotics sell at junk prices now. That pretty much relegates it to cheaply forging useless soulbound exotics

And regardless, the need to salvage rare items isn’t nearly as much as lesser items. One is mostly buying it for the look and those extra sounds— which unfortunately are the same as the copper one.

And yes I have one, bu I bought it purely for style. I wouldn’t recommend it unless you are truly out of Mystic Stones/kits and probably won’t earn any future AP

As for myself, I use mystic kits when I’m idling in town and are clearing things out after opening bags. The characters that I play don’t carry the kits anymore. I have them in either my bank or on my bag opener character.

That assumes you have plenty of mystic forge stones that cost you nothing and you don’t use up mystic salvage kits at an absurd rate. The 500 gems for for silver-fed versus 135-150 gems per mystic salvage kit if you are out of mystic forge stones.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

That assumes you have plenty of mystic forge stones that cost you nothing and you don’t use up mystic salvage kits at an absurd rate. The 500 gems for for silver-fed versus 135-150 gems per mystic salvage kit if you are out of mystic forge stones.

That just shows how much of a ripoff the gem store is for mystic stones

I’ve never bought a single mystic stone and have 300 left from AP chests/login rewards after making some mystic kits. It’s pretty much a junk item to me. That’s enough for 100 mystic kits or 25000 charges. Even if I had 1/2 the number, I’d still think the same thing.

You’re saving about 15% when you use a copper fed- vs a basic salvage kit. With a Silver fed, you’re saving like 2% vs a master’s kit. Added with the upfront gem cost, all you’re saving for is really a little convenience. Copper-fed can at least be justified by the sheer volume of greens and blues.

I bought it for the fancy look and sounds, and maybe that obscure day when I run out of stones, but I don’t feel like I can ever justify the purchase on value, and do not recommend it on such a basis. Unlike the copper-fed kit which I recommend to everyone, I feel like it would be a waste for a lot of people. Or at the very least it should be at the bottom of the list. Because honestly, the very act of mass salvaging rares is already a pretty niche activity— you’re doing it to squeeze value out of rares by getting ectos. Not to mention the master-level kits are worse at conserving space due to sigils.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Ensign.2189

Ensign.2189

That assumes you have plenty of mystic forge stones that cost you nothing and you don’t use up mystic salvage kits at an absurd rate.

Mystic Salvage Kits aren’t a bad way to burn your Forge Stones. You get around 40s per stone if you burn them that way, plus some additional convenience.

I rarely have many stones around as I use them to forge random exotics (low value ones plus account bound from fractals), which nets around 1g per stone (at no risk premium). It’s not an item with a ton of use though so I wouldn’t fault anyone for treating them as worthless.

Curiously, if you compare the Silver-Fed Salvage-o-Matic to the Mystic Salvage Kit at fair market value per stone it turns out you break even on it after 15k rares salvaged or so.

Behellagh.1468

“Fair market value per stone”

Lets see … 10 master kits is 1.536 gold Vs 3 MFS and one fine, journeyman and master kit for 26.24 silver. So that’ll put the “value” of each stone at 42.45 silver. So you are simply comparing the cost of the master kit with this “value” to the silver fed kit. In that case it takes 942K salvages to “break even”.

Currently 500 gems is around 135-136 gold. Using that price a mystic kit costs about 14.75 silver per use so it pays itself off in under 1000 uses.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Generally I would agree that a silver by itself is not worth it. I got it as part of a pack with a copper and other stuff though, so the price was a little more reasonable that way.

Posted by: Nutjob.9021

Nutjob.9021

Mystic stones are worth approximately 1.5 gold, which is the price of the cheapest exotic weapon they replace when combining 3 exotic weapons plus a stone in the hopes of getting a precursor.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Mystic stones are worth approximately 1.5 gold, which is the price of the cheapest exotic weapon they replace when combining 3 exotic weapons plus a stone in the hopes of getting a precursor.

The cheapest exotic weapons available on the TP are under 50 silver.

Mystic Stones, on the other hand, have zero value on the TP; any “worth” they have are entirely dependent on the person using them, and their intended function.

mauried.5608

FWIW, the silver salvager comes in a package called the Salvagers Supply pack and has a heap of other things in it , which makes it worthwhile for the price.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Salvager's_Supplies

Behellagh.1468

But it does appear outside of a package at times as well.

RIP City of Heroes

mauried.5608

Silver salvager on sale in Gem store now for 4 days only, 500 gems.

Haleydawn.3764

Silver salvager on sale in Gem store now for 4 days only, 500 gems.

Thank you for the store update! I’mma buy that today.

Kitten.