SilverWaste botting problem

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gorth.4581

Gorth.4581

Q:

Im sick and tired of having 5-7 bots running around after me as im commanding Silverwaste, what is being done to deal with this apparently massive issue?…Feels like the reporting system doesnt even do anything, theres absolutely no follow up either if you do report. I literally have all these bots names memorized and recognize them since they are botting 24/7 after every commander, not just myself…like seriously.

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

A:

Continue to report them. ArenaNet does bans in waves, so you will not see immediate results, but it will eventually be addressed.

Always report them, if you suspect they are botting or otherwise breaking the rules. You won’t get direct responses to reports made in-game, but they are read (especially if one particular account has multiple reports against it). They also won’t do a patch or make an announcement when a ban wave is done. So, just keep reporting and encourage others to do so.

Bingo the above. The in-game report system does result in reports that are read by the team. However, you are also welcome to submit a ticket to the CS team, if you’d like to do so. Please include the date and time you witness the bots (saying “every day” isn’t particularly helpful ). Give your server/world name and your region. And then carefully spell the exact name of the accounts you believe are cheating.

I will follow up with CS to see if there is any other advice I can give you on this subject. I do want you to know that we all appreciate reports that help us clean up botters!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Continue to report them. ArenaNet does bans in waves, so you will not see immediate results, but it will eventually be addressed.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Always report them, if you suspect they are botting or otherwise breaking the rules. You won’t get direct responses to reports made in-game, but they are read (especially if one particular account has multiple reports against it). They also won’t do a patch or make an announcement when a ban wave is done. So, just keep reporting and encourage others to do so.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Reporting them is the best path, but just to check … you are sure they are actually botting, not just players who do this a lot, right?

One of the things I think FFXIV does super-well is that they publish a monthly report on the number of actions taken from reports. Knowing that they actioned 14,000 instances of “bad” behaviour, and banned 6,500 accounts, over the last month … kind of brings home, among other things, the scale of the issues they are dealing with.

If ANet published the same sort of numbers it would certainly clarify if the report option did anything or not.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

If you have proof, submit it to the abuse email address, I’d suggest. Especially if you can point to the bot, and the developer, so that other users can also be identified and swept up in a wave.

Posted by: xBrutalityx.3507

xBrutalityx.3507

This person bots on 2 accounts with identical names in the same guild and have the exact same super speed glitchy running mechanism. They are not trolling he said it whisper never said it in mapchat.

Posted by: steve.2945

steve.2945

Reporting them is the best path, but just to check … you are sure they are actually botting, not just players who do this a lot, right?

One of the things I think FFXIV does super-well is that they publish a monthly report on the number of actions taken from reports. Knowing that they actioned 14,000 instances of “bad” behaviour, and banned 6,500 accounts, over the last month … kind of brings home, among other things, the scale of the issues they are dealing with.

If ANet published the same sort of numbers it would certainly clarify if the report option did anything or not.

I was doing silverwaste today, and there really was a serious botting problem, alot of them DO speak but they just say the most random things that do not pertain to what anyone is saying on the map. After VW was finished an accused bot said " any legs up?.

Proud TTS member

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Do Legendaries never spawn after Vinewrath? I have no idea when they do or do not, and I’ve played in that zone many, many times.

In other words, that would not be an odd question to me. /shrug

Posted by: xBrutalityx.3507

xBrutalityx.3507

Do Legendaries never spawn after Vinewrath? I have no idea when they do or do not, and I’ve played in that zone many, many times.

In other words, that would not be an odd question to me. /shrug

They spawn once 3rd level defences is reached, it is random . Sometimes you wont get any that spawn for a few metas then somtimes 7 can spawn.

Posted by: AbbyPizza.9576

AbbyPizza.9576

I have been putting marker symbols on characters I suspect are botting when I command in silverwaste. And you can spot a bot a mile away. I have their names memorized and have asked other people to participate in reporting bots as well because it’s not fair for everyone.
Typical signs of bots:
Glitchy movement/patterns, mindlessly follows whoever is tagged up regardless of being in the squad or not, attacks anything aggro close to it,
ALWAYS goes after bandit chests then resumes to following tag with glitchy movement.
People think they’re not bots as soon as they start talking later on or before, but you can clearly see how easy it is for them to run and turn off the program.
I really hope there will be a wave of bans soon. People are starting to compare gw2 with runescape bots. At least runescape had better bot banning systems.

Posted by: Aurelian Omenkind.2470

Aurelian Omenkind.2470

Typical signs of bots:
Glitchy movement/patterns, mindlessly follows whoever is tagged up regardless of being in the squad or not, attacks anything aggro close to it,
ALWAYS goes after bandit chests then resumes to following tag with glitchy movement.

That sounds kinda like how i normally play minus the glitchy movement. I’m a far less than optimal player, so I just try to get in some fun as I bounce around the world map doing dailies or randomly trying to fill out achievements or farm stuff for things like Mawdrey. (Still haven’t finished that one off.) I tend to follow commander tags because that’s where the action is. The only difference might be that I likely won’t be in the same map two days in a row. I’m only mentioning this to hopefully keep innocent REAL players from being falsely accused of botting. Be confident they’re bots before you send that report.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

If they blindly follow the nearest tag surely we can have some fun with that. We could take them on a suicide run, kinda like lemmings.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As with everything the rule is if you suspect someone of botting, even if you’re not sure, report them.

As Gaile explained the report system isn’t automated, so you don’t need to worry about falsely reporting innocent players (and innocent players don’t need to worry about being reported) because those reports simply won’t be acted on.

(And on the other side they can’t ban bots unless they’re reported because they can’t possibly monitor everything every player does every day.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: OniGiri.9461

OniGiri.9461

If they blindly follow the nearest tag surely we can have some fun with that. We could take them on a suicide run, kinda like lemmings.

Id really like to see that muahaha

Gorth.4581

The only people in game who take notice and DO RECOGNIZE BOTS are the actual commanders who do run the map. I even test some of the movement patterns during my commanding. For example, north of indigo fort theres a hill that most normal players jump over, but bots on the other hand travel a longer route WITHOUT JUMPING AT ALL to get to me, sometimes they get glitched out and go back and forth on this pathway to reach me as i am on the hill. So yes there are actual bots in the game, and the commanders are the only ones who recognize while everyone else is doing the event.

Edit: Videos of these bots have been already sent in multiple times to the Dev’s. Im just frustrated as to why it is taking so long to do these “ban waves”.

(edited by Gorth.4581)

Posted by: Shdowtappz.7163

Shdowtappz.7163

Thank you, Gaile Gray for teaching this young sir some knowledge about the report system.

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

The thing to remember is just because a person is dual-boxing using a shared keyboard control does not mean they are botting. Wrongfully accusing someone of being a bot does hurt the search for real ones. As for “odd movement” that is a symptom of key sharing (using 1 keyboard to control 2 units). Plus they could have a higher ping or lag issue that causes the occasional hiccup.

When you do a report, take a screenshot of the player as well, this way ArenaNet can validate the account from the reports. And multiple reports from the same player against the same player only makes that validation take longer.

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs

Posted by: Limodriver.4106

Limodriver.4106

so u tag up but u dont want ppl to follow u? dont tag up then. since u show up at SW all the time other ppl should report u as bot too ever thought about it, guess not.

(edited by Limodriver.4106)

Gorth.4581

so u tag up but u dont want ppl to follow u? dont tag up then.

Its you* not “u”…anyways actual people following i have no issue with, like i have said before its the botters that get to me

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

moonstarmac.4603

The thing to remember is just because a person is dual-boxing using a shared keyboard control does not mean they are botting.

Which would also be an offense that could lead to a ban.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

moonstarmac.4603

The thing to remember is just because a person is dual-boxing using a shared keyboard control does not mean they are botting.

BZZT. Dual-boxing is allowed. If the controls operate both accounts at the same time …. well, there has not been a ruling, but if not it is the same as if you had two computers on your desk.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Gaile Gray

Dual- or Multi-Boxing

1.You may use more than one account at the same time.

2.You may use more than one computer at the same time.

3.You must be actively playing on each account.

4.And as stated above, you may not program your keyboard to perform functions on more than one account at a time.

a. For example, if you press W on your keyboard to move forward, a single character on a single account should move forward. The keystroke or mouse click should not perform functions on more than one account.

There has been a clear statement.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

moonstarmac.4603

BZZT. Dual-boxing is allowed. If the controls operate both accounts at the same time …. well, there has not been a ruling, but if not it is the same as if you had two computers on your desk.

Actually, there has been a ruling. You cannot use one button press to perform two actions. This means that while you can have two PCs running two separate instances of GW2, you must be controlling the characters independently (i.e., move one, then move the other). If you push W and both characters move at the same time, you are in “ban” territory.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: TheJokester.4672

TheJokester.4672

I was doing silverwaste today, and there really was a serious botting problem, alot of them DO speak but they just say the most random things that do not pertain to what anyone is saying on the map. After VW was finished an accused bot said " any legs up?.

Did you ever think he was shortening legendaries? and was asking if any legendaries were up to kill? geez people at first I was taking this serious but come on I’ll be surprised if I haven’t been reported too cause after work some weeks when I get a few days home I dont want to talk to a single soul especially on a game. So unless I get drunk and start talking that might be all you get out of me “any legs up?” in any other reference I would not be on a game.

Menadena.7482

Thanks, I missed 4 since I never set up boxes to use the mouse/keyboard when the other machine is using them anyway. Multibox is terribly handy for doing daily logins with an alt account when logging out your main/logging in your alt/logging out your alt/logging in your main would be MUCH longer.

Posted by: Ewon.5903

Ewon.5903

My guild and I have been reporting the “SW” bots in SW everyday for atleast a month, and nothing has ever been done about it

As you mention “everyday” isn’t helpful. The bots are right RIGHT NOW in silverwastes map ip 64.25.38.197:0

(edited by Ewon.5903)

Menadena.7482

Did you ever think he was shortening legendaries? and was asking if any legendaries were up to kill? geez people at first I was taking this serious but come on I’ll be surprised if I haven’t been reported too cause after work some weeks when I get a few days home I dont want to talk to a single soul especially on a game. So unless I get drunk and start talking that might be all you get out of me “any legs up?” in any other reference I would not be on a game.

There is a wide variety of cultures too. In some people talk endlessly while in others silence is practically a virtue. I grew up in the Finnish culture, so do not think anything is odd if I played an entire session without ever once using any of the chat functionality.

Game play varies too. Some people are insulted if they are not thanked for rezzing in the middle of a fight. Me? I wish they wouldn’t try, at least until they are healed up above 80% first, because that means I will be risking my life to rez them again.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I have been putting marker symbols on characters I suspect are botting when I command in silverwaste. And you can spot a bot a mile away. I have their names memorized and have asked other people to participate in reporting bots as well because it’s not fair for everyone.

This sounds like harassment.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

" any legs up?.

This probably meant “are any legendary villains active”, so it’s not as strange as it sounds.