Simple (or not) Dungeon Owner fix

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: rojak.1894

rojak.1894

Hi, here are some suggestions based on what others have been raising. I don’t know if it’s at all possible to program the party system this way, but it would be much appreciated if Ryan could help enlighten us.

Transferable ‘Party Leader’ status

• Player who opened dungeon has a ‘Party Leader’ icon next to their names in party list.
  • If Party Leader is vote kicked instance will close / or Leader is immune to kick.
  • If Party Leader uses /leave, switches character or goes offline, the Leader status is transferred to another member.

Why keep the ‘Party Leader’ as owner?

• To allow players the choice of protecting themselves from being kicked by starting the instance, this status is visible to other players during the run. So in a way the leader sets the goals/requirements of the party, but is free to leave party.
  • This still won’t protect dungeon sellers as they can still be kicked out of their instance, but griefers won’t be able kick them and invite friends.

How will this affect PUGS?

• Party Leaders won’t kill the instance if he quits halfway in, accidentally switched characters, or goes offline.
  • Griefers can’t steal instances by booting people at the end of a run and inviting friends.

Additional Suggestions

• Party chat is not wiped when leaving instance / changing maps.
  • Debug messages in chat log for whoever joins/leaves (or even vote kick)?
  • If not, allow a ‘recent group members’ tab in lfg tool that lists the players we were recently in contact with.
  • Allow a time grace period before the instance closes if theres only 1 player (like it works now).
  • Add a confirmation warning to the person who seconds when voting to kick Party Leader.
  • Increase vote count to majority instead of 2/5

More reasons for leader ownership

Under the current system the owner is safe and, by extension, everyone else that he/she is friendly with is also safe; this could mean that if the owner condones/participates in kicking to make room for friends, then you’re in trouble, but it also means if the owner doesn’t condone it he/she can cancel party invites or even close the instance to prevent the people who kicked you from benefiting.

Under the new system two people (assuming they don’t change the voting threshold) can completely take over the instance, regardless if the owner agrees or not; neither you nor the owner will be able to “get back” at them because the kickers won’t be posting on LFG, they’ll be inviting friends directly, so not only do you lose any hope of being insured against this behavior, it completely removes the punishment for hijacking dungeon parties.

Additionally you’ll probably see a sharp decline in PUGs, because the only way to insure against being kicked will be to form a group with at least four friends, leaving room for only one random player; so not only will your risk go up, but your ability to find groups on LFG will suffer.

(edited by rojak.1894)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The thing I dislike about a protected status for dungeon openers is that it only protects one of the party. The rest are taking their chances. Perhaps the real solution is a revamp of the kick system, which is a convenience system that is too prone, imo, to abuse.

rojak.1894

At least we will have the choice of being protected against kicks as the leader, and you can’t steal instances using the LFG tool by booting everyone to give your friends reward at the end of a run.

If you dislike taking chances, it will be in your best interest to always start your own group. Ryan actually agreed with increasing the vote count a majority but “not all the pieces of code around party votes are set up in a way to make this a quick and easy change.”

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

100% SUPPORT

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

This may not be a popular response, but here goes:

I would rather have the kick function disabled while in an instance. If someone is abusive, report, disband, reform without them.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

just get rid of the kick function and put in an afk kicker.

PROBLEM SOLVED

rojak.1894

just get rid of the kick function and put in an afk kicker.

PROBLEM SOLVED

I believe the kick function exists for the party to organize the group besides kicking abusive players. Say when you are at the last fractal and the group is stuck at a particular boss fight, you get a player that joins without having AR, would you rather be stuck with the player, be forced to disband the group and lose progress or be able to get someone else that fits the group’s needs?

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

So to all of you guys that don’t want a kick function, what if you’re half way through a path and suddenly 1 or 2 people don’t feel like pulling their own weight and aren’t contributing? Then when you ask them to do something they refuse to cooperate and/or insult you? You want to disband your own party instead of kicking the said offender(s)?

What about if someone decided to start trolling everyone by luring elite risen illusionists on purpose into the arena and kill everyone at Lupicus, knowing they couldn’t be kicked for it? Would you rather kick that person and find someone else on the LFG or restart the path from scratch?

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

So to all of you guys that don’t want a kick function, what if you’re half way through a path and suddenly 1 or 2 people don’t feel like pulling their own weight and aren’t contributing? Then when you ask them to do something they refuse to cooperate and/or insult you? You want to disband your own party instead of kicking the said offender(s)?

What about if someone decided to start trolling everyone by luring elite risen illusionists on purpose into the arena and kill everyone at Lupicus, knowing they couldn’t be kicked for it? Would you rather kick that person and find someone else on the LFG or restart the path from scratch?

I wouldn’t even bother to give them a reply. It is far too obvious that they:

• Are still too young and/or immature to understand why control and regulation are needed.
  • Lack any sort of foresight whatsoever.

In my opinion, whoever started the group (whether it means that they posted the LFG ad or opened the instance) should be labeled as the Leader and that person should be the one approve or deny kick votes from the rest of their group. Is it abusable? Of course it is. Is it worse than a system where griefers can run rampant until they reach ANET’s radar? No.

Why wait until a disaster occurs and then take measures when you can prevent it instead? It’s impractical and while it might keep some people from doing it again, it will give ill-intentioned individuals more time to grief other players before they’re punished accordingly. Not to mention that once their sentence is lifted, they may or may not re-offend.

Either way, we should all prepare for the worst, and hope for the best.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Dungeon owner is just the worst thing that could ever happen to an MMO.

• Why one person should be protected and 4 other no?
  • Why the group has to be on a mercy on 1 persone?
  • Why if someone goes afk and is being just boosted for free to not be able to be kicked only becasue he opened?
  • Why if the opener rage quits to not be able to be kicked?
  • Why being to much offline the whole group has to be kicked out?

None other MMO has such kittened system like the dungeon owner that includes GW1 too.This system just had to go.What Anet has to do is to increase the votes for kicking to 3 and if anyone is kicked his party chat to not get deleted.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

The thing I dislike about a protected status for dungeon openers is that it only protects one of the party. The rest are taking their chances. Perhaps the real solution is a revamp of the kick system, which is a convenience system that is too prone, imo, to abuse.

Not entirely true, if the owner is a friend or a regular you know isn’t the kicking-for-guildies type, you can be fairly sure that you’re protected as well; people aren’t going to start hijacking parties unless they have the cooperation of the owner after all.

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Hi, here are some suggestions based on what others have been raising. I don’t know if it’s at all possible to program the party system this way, but it would be much appreciated if Ryan could help enlighten us.

• Player who opened dungeon has a ‘Party Leader’ icon next to their names in party list.
  • If Party Leader is vote kicked instance will close.
  • If Party Leader uses /leave, switches character or goes offline, the Leader status is transferred to another member.

Good ideas.

one additional function:

• Party Leader can transfer his “Party Leader” status to another player in the group/party

Of course, party-leader could have some extra functions that have nothing to do with kicking. i.e.

• Party Leader can initiate a “ready check” and all party members get a popup-windows with “are you ready yes/no” and the results are written in the chat-channel.

Greetings.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

• If Party Leader is vote kicked instance will close.

I disagree. Instance owner, the one who opened the dungeon and gathered a group of individuals according to his preferences, should be protected from kicking at all, instead of being punished by grievers, trolls and same-guild noobs. This is especially important for dungeon soloers, which is officially legal if no exploits were used.

• Dungeon owner cannot be kicked. I.e. has an “instance owner” buff icon or has no “Kick from party” option or that option shows an error alert. “Instance owner” will exist in the database anyway because you need someone to show in the cutscenes.
  • If the dungeon owner leaves, instance is preserved as the patch suggests. Whether the new “person for cutscenes” is kickable or not is another matter and can be addressed later on.
20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: etb.2703

etb.2703

Party chat is not wiped when leaving instance / changing maps.
Debug messages for party join/leave (or even vote kick) in chat log?
If not, allow a ‘recent group members’ tab in lfg tool that lists the players we were recently in contact with.

I agree with these 100% since I can imagine there will be a few people dumb enough to try hijack dungeon/fractal seller parties to freeload or resell the path.

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

this is exactly what we need the party leader sets the rules for the trip so its their party and nobody can take that from them

Posted by: Wheatty.1892

Wheatty.1892

Not sure if relevant but people in my block list should NOT be able to join my parties.

Posted by: sMihaly.1492

sMihaly.1492

Not sure if relevant but people in my block list should NOT be able to join my parties.

This IS relevant.

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

NO NO NO… Nobody should ever be kicked from the dungeon just because the party leader (or anybody else) gets kicked.

I am not sure why a few people on the forums keep asking for this as a remaining “feature”…. Nobody should ever be kicked out of the dungeon if someone is kicked – end of story.

That gives dungeon leaders WAY too much power. If the leader is vote kicked, leader should transfer as normal.

All of the good suggestions you mentioned are things already proposed by the developers. Why don’t we just wait and see how the new system works before everyone else tries to bring their brilliant ideas on the table?

ArenaNet has come to their senses and realized nobody should ever be kicked from a dungeon if the “dungeon owner” (party leader, whatever you guys wanna call it) gets kicked or leaves. That’s not fun or fair to anybody.

The party leader should not be protected from a kick. And nobody should be removed from the instance if the party leader or anybody else is kicked or leaves.

(edited by TehPwnerer.7215)

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

NO NO NO… Nobody should ever be kicked from the dungeon just because the party leader (or anybody else) gets kicked.

I am not sure why a few people on the forums keep asking for this as a remaining “feature”…. Nobody should ever be kicked out of the dungeon if someone is kicked – end of story.

That gives dungeon leaders WAY too much power. If the leader is vote kicked, leader should transfer as normal.

So, even dungeon sellers? Those who legitely ran a dungeon solo and sell the places at the end. (something anet allows.) Should be allowed to be kicked?

This is the problem, if anet changes the dungeon ownership without fixing kick abuse.

TehPwnerer.7215

So, even dungeon sellers? Those who legitely ran a dungeon solo and sell the places at the end. (something anet allows.) Should be allowed to be kicked?

This is the problem, if anet changes the dungeon ownership without fixing kick abuse.

I honestly don’t give a crap about people selling dungeons. I think that it shouldn’t be allowed in the first place. Being the party leader should not grant you the power to remove the entire party out of the dungeon for being kicked.

Nobody should EVER get kicked from an instance just because someone else was kicked or left on their own accord.

I’m glad Anet saw the flaw in this design and is going back on it, because it’s not fun or fair for anybody. Sell dungeons at your own risk, I guess.

There are talks of implementing debug messages for whoever joins, leaves, votes to kick, etc. within a party so that if people randomly kick you to hijack your run, they are able to be reported and banned for doing so.

Duke Nukem.6783

All of the good suggestions you mentioned are things already proposed by the developers. Why don’t we just wait and see how the new system works before everyone else tries to bring their brilliant ideas on the table?

ArenaNet has come to their senses and realized nobody should ever be kicked from a dungeon if the “dungeon owner” (party leader, whatever you guys wanna call it) gets kicked or leaves. That’s not fun or fair to anybody.

The party leader should not be protected from a kick. And nobody should be removed from the instance if the party leader or anybody else is kicked or leaves.

u dont come into my house and tell me how to do things, you dont come into my party and tell me how to do things! if i lead the party you play by my rules

Posted by: Stars.2179

Stars.2179

u dont come into my house and tell me how to do things, you dont come into my party and tell me how to do things! if i lead the party you play by my rules

You assumed that the party is yours to begin with. It is not, according to ArenaNet from this coming change. The party was, is and will never be yours even if you opened the instance. You do not have any more special privileges than anyone else.

This coming change also reflects ArenaNet’s stand on selling dungeon path. Do it at your own risk.

Duke Nukem.6783

You assumed that the party is yours to begin with. It is not, according to ArenaNet from this coming change. The party was, is and will never be yours even if you opened the instance. You do not have any more special privileges than anyone else.

This coming change also reflects ArenaNet’s stand on selling dungeon path. Do it at your own risk.

you make alot of assumptions about anet’s goals they already said just yesterday on these very forums that they are searching for new solutions and are rethinking their decisions, so no you wont be getting to steal my party

IndigoSundown.5419

I have zero sympathy for this attitude. PuGging is a convenience, not a right. If you want to ensure that your group experience is to your tastes, start cultivating a friend’s list of like-minded players and group only with them.

And, the game is ANet’s house, it’s not yours.

rojak.1894

I don’t think sellers have to worry much since they can use placeholders and take one it at a time, it’ll be just be inconvenient and slow, prices would probably be higher.

Also it’s not only sellers, anyone can be booted out easily with the new system (if no majority vote count is implemented), no choice of protection by being leader when pugging.

This post sums it up for me for pugs:

Here’s why it’s not a lesser evil:

Under the current system the owner is safe and, by extension, everyone else that he/she is friendly with is also safe; this could mean that if the owner condones/participates in kicking to make room for friends, then you’re in trouble, but it also means if the owner doesn’t condone it he/she can cancel party invites or even close the instance to prevent the people who kicked you from benefiting.

Under the new system two people (assuming they don’t change the voting threshold) can completely take over the instance, regardless if the owner agrees or not; neither you nor the owner will be able to “get back” at them because the kickers won’t be posting on LFG, they’ll be inviting friends directly, so not only do you lose any hope of being insured against this behavior, it completely removes the punishment for hijacking dungeon parties.

Additionally you’ll probably see a sharp decline in PUGs, because the only way to insure against being kicked will be to form a group with at least four friends, leaving room for only one random player; so not only will your risk go up, but your ability to find groups on LFG will suffer.

(edited by rojak.1894)

Lishtenbird.2814

I have zero sympathy for this attitude. PuGging is a convenience, not a right. If you want to ensure that your group experience is to your tastes, start cultivating a friend’s list of like-minded players and group only with them.

And I have zero sympathy to PUGs which don’t read party descriptions, join, want us to carry them and then kick us and get the reward simply because they can. I have a right to make a party, and if I make it, I have a right to gather people I want in it and to stay in it. Likewise, they have a right to make their party and gather their players instead of kicking me once I’ve done my work.

All I can see happening if nothing is changed in the decision is soloers who’ve seen challenge in using their skill leaving the game, guild people ignoring them when a full guild party cannot be formed, guildless people leaving dungeons, and dungeon PUGs becoming a swarm of barking dogs which rarely finishes dungeons and rages on forums regularly.

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Duke Nukem.6783

And, the game is ANet’s house, it’s not yours.

everything you said is not related to this topic at all

puging is not synonimous with forming parties, any party i form is based on my way to play, dont like it find a new party. that doesnt make all parites pugs

and dont tell me that the only way to make a party the way i want is to find a set of friends or guild mates to play with, thats inconvenient and limits how often i can get a party, which is again, not letting me play the way i want, and why should people who play the way i want be limited, r we going to force the other types of players to only use their friend’s list? gee lets just get rid of the LFG system alltogether!

and the party i make is mine, anet did not propose this update to take that away from me they only did this to stop instances from closing in the event of the opener leaving, this is just an unintended side effect

IndigoSundown.5419

And I have zero sympathy to PUGs which don’t read party descriptions, join, want us to carry them and then kick us and get the reward simply because they can. I have a right to make a party, and if I make it, I have a right to gather people I want in it and to stay in it. Likewise, they have a right to make their party and gather their players instead of kicking me once I’ve done my work.

I have no sympathy for them either. I’d like to see the kick system removed, or at least revamped to make it much harder for such people to grief others.

All I can see happening if nothing is changed in the decision is soloers who’ve seen challenge in using their skill leaving the game,

You are selling gamers short. Gamers are endlessly inventive and will figure out ways to work around things.

guild people ignoring them when a full guild party cannot be formed, guildless people leaving dungeons,

Or, guildless people will join guilds. If there are lots of them, there will be a larger pool of people in guilds to form guild parties.

and dungeon PUGs becoming a swarm of barking dogs which rarely finishes dungeons and rages on forums regularly.

Dungeon PuGgers already rage regularly on forums about being kicked, or about the instance owner leaving. So, nothing will change.

TehPwnerer.7215

What are you talking about? On more than one occasion I’ve spent time creating a party only to have someone ELSE walk into the dungeon – thereby him being the dungeon owner, NOT ME. You don’t even know what you’re complaining about from forum post to forum post.

And no, lol, just because you started a party doesn’t mean you get supreme control over everything. That’s not how life works. I’m just glad you aren’t in charge of any decision making at ArenaNet.

Duke Nukem.6783

I have no sympathy for them either. I’d like to see the kick system removed, or at least revamped to make it much harder for such people to grief others.

All I can see happening if nothing is changed in the decision is soloers who’ve seen challenge in using their skill leaving the game,

You are selling gamers short. Gamers are endlessly inventive and will figure out ways to work around things.

guild people ignoring them when a full guild party cannot be formed, guildless people leaving dungeons,

Or, guildless people will join guilds. If there are lots of them, there will be a larger pool of people in guilds to form guild parties.

and dungeon PUGs becoming a swarm of barking dogs which rarely finishes dungeons and rages on forums regularly.

Dungeon PuGgers already rage regularly on forums about being kicked, or about the instance owner leaving. So, nothing will change.

no they dont, this is nowhere near as common as it will be, and more importantly …..why do you want to kick the leader? your in HIS party, dont like him find a new party

Lishtenbird.2814

What are you talking about? On more than one occasion I’ve spent time creating a party only to have someone ELSE walk into the dungeon – thereby him being the dungeon owner, NOT ME. You don’t even know what you’re complaining about from forum post to forum post.

Then walk into the dungeon before LFGing. FTFY.

And no, lol, just because you started a party doesn’t mean you get supreme control over everything. That’s not how life works. I’m just glad you aren’t in charge of any decision making at ArenaNet.

This is not for you to decide. It is up to ANet, and we have yet to see the real implementation of the feature once it has been life-tested and proven abusable.

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

The only changes I ask for are these:
1. Increase kick count to three
2. Keep party chat
3. A message when someone joins a party
4. A message when you are kicked, including who initiated the kick and who voted on it.

Duke Nukem.6783

2. Keep party chat
4. A message when you are kicked, including who initiated the kick and who voted on it.

1 is a nice start but 2 3 and 4 are false hope, you think anet will be able to police all the reports that go in? and will that really help you anyway? revenge is nice but it doesnt get you back the time you invested before you were kicked

Duke Nukem.6783

if u are forming a party and not walking in first thats your weird kinda problem but im not making a distinction between the two because i do form the party after i walk in,

and yes if i make something it is mine to decide its fate…..that is how life works….its in our constitution, its in our bill of rights, its the foundation of our nation’s beliefes.

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

if u are forming a party and not walking in first thats your weird kinda problem but im not making a distinction between the two because i do form the party after i walk in,

and yes if i make something it is mine to decide its fate…..that is how life works….its in our constitution, its in our bill of rights, its the foundation of our nation’s beliefes.

Then learn to adapt.From here on out you won’t have special privileges any more.I’m really glad that there won’t be anymore dungeon owners.There is a big difference between party leader and instance owner.The 2nd one is a bad design.Tell me of MMO that has such system in it.I have never played western MMO that has it.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

and will that really help you anyway? revenge is nice but it doesnt get you back the time you invested before you were kicked

Arresting a murderer won’t bring back the dead person.

Duke Nukem.6783

Then learn to adapt.From here on out you won’t have special privileges any more.I’m really glad that there won’t be anymore dungeon owners.There is a big difference between party leader and instance owner.The 2nd one is a bad design.Tell me of MMO that has such system in it.I have never played western MMO that has it.

i said i dont make a distinction between the two because i always am BOTh if you do then fine, for the sake of this discussion we are talking about party leaders.

and i love when people act like anet didnt make a statement yesterday that they are rethinking this on these very forums, dont be so sure of how things are going to turn out our imput does change things and already has

TehPwnerer.7215

2. Keep party chat

The developer in some of the recent posts here has said he is working on this and that it’s something that’s possible to implement, Which is why I don’t understand why we still have so many threads about this before it’s even been implemented.

Posted by: FenrirSlakt.3692

FenrirSlakt.3692

and will that really help you anyway? revenge is nice but it doesnt get you back the time you invested before you were kicked

Arresting a murderer won’t bring back the dead person.

Oh, yes, but that’s a silly comparison, because the government has no surefire way to prevent murder and robbery. All they can do is following rigorous security protocols to discourage potential criminals and taking away their freedom when/if they’re caught.

ANET has far more control over the universe they’ve created than our leaders do over the reality we live in.

IndigoSundown.5419

no they dont, this is nowhere near as common as it will be, and more importantly …..why do you want to kick the leader? your in HIS party, dont like him find a new party

Where did I say I wanted to kick anyone? I want to remove kicking, or make it harder to kick anyone. I just cannot support a solution that only protects 20% of the user base — as I’ve now said multiple times.

Duke Nukem.6783

Where did I say I wanted to kick anyone? I want to remove kicking, or make it harder to kick anyone. I just cannot support a solution that only protects 20% of the user base — as I’ve now said multiple times.

you wana remove kicking completly? thats a less viable solution than just protecting the owner as some ppl DO need to be kicked, but having hte owner be immune has been perfect up until now and should remain that way

i would fail 4/5 high level fractals if we could never replace someone , it should be only the owner who is immune, stop measuring by the number of people protected autonomy is not about adding people up and trying to treat them all equally, the party leader is not equal he started it he put in more effort he is above every1 else

Posted by: Quickfoot Katana.8642

Quickfoot Katana.8642

We can’t even sell dungeons with friends filling the spots anymore to protect us from being kicked. Look at this example by dutchiez

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Dungeon-selling-request-deposit/first#post4341878

Why is this okay Anet? You wanted to fix the instance ending when someone leaves party, but you created tons of issues when kicking other players.

This patch won’t end well. You should hotfix this as soon as possible or you’ll hear the outrage of people getting their instances stolen. You can’t possible monitor all the kicks/reports going on. Why not work on preventing such thing from happening in the first place?

Duke Nukem.6783

We can’t even sell dungeons with friends filling the spots anymore to protect us from being kicked. Look at this example by dutchiez

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/dungeons/Dungeon-selling-request-deposit/first#post4341878

Why is this okay Anet? You wanted to fix the instance ending when someone leaves party, but you created tons of issues when kicking other players.

This patch won’t end well. You should hotfix this as soon as possible or you’ll hear the outrage of people getting their instances stolen. You can’t possible monitor all the kicks/reports going on. Why not work on preventing such thing from happening in the first place?

yea they didnt pick a very good solution and they need to fix it