Since lots of people seem to be leaving...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

How do you know this?

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’ve seen plenty of MMOs die faster than GW2. Wildstar, ESO, Archeage…the list goes on.

Yeah, at least Archeage, like its sister game Rift, isn’t completely dead, exactly, but they are now really small, really niche games. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in MMOs, it’s that it doesn’t appear to take a lot of money or players to keep one running on a small scale. A lot of games are still going, but they’re doing so with small populations. I guess if it comes to it, GW2 can do the same thing – run its game on a small scale for a small population.

Posted by: Minx.7521

Minx.7521

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m staying waiting for them to deliver what I paid for. Not buying anything from half-expansion-Mike with real life money ever again tho.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

You left everything in your one-piece? You don’t own very much, do you?

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

Guild wars 1 is ghost town. Eventually people just stop caring and never look back.
I’ve never seen an MMO lose its community as fast as this one is.

Actually it isnt, GW1
I started playing GW1 again 1 or 2 months ago.
Kamadan USA servers is pretty much as populated as it used to be before GW2.
And i even still see players nowadays, in random outposts AND on EU servers!

Maybe GW1 has been a ghost town after GW2 release.
But maybe, like me, players returned.

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

People leaving? Perhaps they have embarked on a legendary journey in search of another game.

Posted by: Kelly.7019

Kelly.7019

Well, i gotta include my name i guess. I love free things! All donations to the “help me go to Tyria college fund and craft my legendary” are welcome. If you are gunna quit playing make sure to send me all your a stuff first. Muchas Gracias!

Yo, Ho, all together, raise the colors high,
Yo, Ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

Posted by: Mostly Harmless.7046

Mostly Harmless.7046

Just wanted to update that no one gave me their stuff

Which means that those actually leaving are planning to come back! But I guess some will really quit for good but don’t feel like helping a random stranger. :p

I don’t think our population will decrease much tho!

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

I just checked The Division and Black Desert Online and now I understand why my guild is almost dead :/

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I’m still playing with my bf on a regular basis. He’s more disappointed than me. I have 5 legendaries but I give no faks about this trash talk. I’m disappointed, however it’s not the end of the world. What I do care about is CONTENT, and more precisely complex story-telling and arcs which aren’t so tighly locked on to Elder Dragons.

For now I’m enjoying Tangled Depths while I help him farm matts for Astralaria, and it’s been very nice.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

People leaving? Perhaps they have embarked on a legendary journey in search of another game.

I’ve tried. Unfortunately, I have yet to find any others that have a free open world that is as “Go anywhere you want, and feel free to revisit fun content!” as Guild Wars 2 is. I have yet to find any game as open at end-game as GW2 is. I have yet to find any game that lets me be a big, kitten dragon-cat like GW2 does.

Frankly, I think the only thing that would make the game better is if they were to remove item levels, having the stats on them scale automatically to level, and just have the game’s gear go White (1-10), Blue (10-30), Green (30-50) Yellow (50-70) Gold (70-80) and Pink/Purple (80)… but only because I hate running the gear treadmill when leveling alts.

I just checked The Division and Black Desert Online and now I understand why my guild is almost dead :/

As far as I can tell, those games are strictly for boring people who like playing boring humans.

… Well, if GW2 continues to lose its boring human population to boring human games, maybe they’ll eventually get around to fixing the non-human armors, because we’re the only ones playing anymore.

(edited by Sartharina.3542)

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

… Well, if GW2 continues to lose its boring human population to boring human games, maybe they’ll eventually get around to fixing the non-human armors, because we’re the only ones playing anymore.

There does always seem to be quite a lot of humans running about, huh?

It’s just because some people can’t appreciate the glory that is Charr, Asura, and Sylvarri. I’ve never been able to bring myself to create a human or norn just because those 3 options are so much more interesting to me.

~EW

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

I call it a tempest in a teacup. All those who are upset are on the forums now (and I’m not trying to play your issues down, only your numbers). The rest is busy playing, as usual. The WvW debacle IMO has caused many more players to quit. No, they were not busy with the HoT PvE maps. They didn’t like the changes and gave up. Without megaservers, it was easy to see the downslope in player numbers.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Maybe Dinks hasn’t gotten their money’s worth out of HoT yet and wants to get that worth out of the game and feels bad abandoning a game or taking a break from it when they haven’t gotten their money’s worth out of it.

As I said earlier, there’s absolutely no reason to feel bad about “abandoning a game or taking a break from it.” If he’s got nothing to do, then his money has currently bought him all he’s going to get. I’m sorry that it’s not as much as he hoped or expected (or was advertised). But, the account remains and he might find coming back later he’ll find new stuff he enjoys doing.

In the interim before that content arrives, it’s better to go do stuff that brings you joy and entertainment… as opposed to milling around waiting for that entertainment.

~EW

Edit: and I don’t say this just ‘cause I’ll be charging MH commission for all the stuff that gets left for him.

Not everyone has as much mad money to spend as you apparently do. Mad money is money not put towards bills or put away for emergencies or retirement.

When you don’t have a lot of mad money to spend, you want the money you do spend to be worth it in the relative short term. Otherwise you are better off waiting until it would become worthwhile to buy it. And instead buy something else that is worthwhile in the short term. Like a different game or movie tickets or tickets to a game.

And when you do end up buying something that turns out to be not worthwhile, you feel bad because you feel your money was wasted or not spent wisely.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Gave everything away already in a LA hide-and-seek lore trivia game

JQ Druid

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

If you want free stuff, how about no and grind it out yourself, it’s the game anet build for you to play.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I’m not going anywhere. I’m an easily distracted hoarding altaholic who has plenty of stuff yet to do in the game before I even think about my first Legendary. And I’ve been playing since launch with a long break (8 mo’s) and short break (3 mo’s) in there.

So no, can’t have my stuff, but I don’t want your stuff, either.

Posted by: Yakkus.8765

Yakkus.8765

I’m going to park all of my characters at the Ebonhawke cemetery, then I am going to load up GW1 and cry as I remember all of the good times.

Sigh, I still log on regularly for the nostalgia. And get that instant fix of playing a better game, even if it is emptier of players.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Can I, maybe… Have your stuff? :x

No. I can promise some stuff to you, though. Maybe, i don’t know, a bunch of legendaries? You’d need to pay a small fee of 50g first.

No, i’m not going to keep that promise, but as a result you will get a valuable experience about playing GW2, so you should be happy.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Not everyone has as much mad money to spend as you apparently do. Mad money is money not put towards bills or put away for emergencies or retirement.

When you don’t have a lot of mad money to spend, you want the money you do spend to be worth it in the relative short term. Otherwise you are better off waiting until it would become worthwhile to buy it. And instead buy something else that is worthwhile in the short term. Like a different game or movie tickets or tickets to a game.

And when you do end up buying something that turns out to be not worthwhile, you feel bad because you feel your money was wasted or not spent wisely.

Lol, it’s not about disposable income. How much disposable income a person has makes no difference if someone’s got nothing left in the game they find entertaining. And more to the point, in today’s FtP MMO market, disposable income has little impact on the capacity to try and play other games. Going FtP or spending disposable income, either way means moving on to something that’s entertaining now.

Sore feelings over not getting your money’s worth is another matter entirely… and as I said earlier, it isn’t any reason to stay playing the game. It is a reason to keep up on news and means that can alleviate those feelings.

You’re falling prey to the Sunk Cost Fallacy. Please look it up, it’s really important in this case. And, please don’t direct your frustration towards me.

~EW

Edit: Oh, and to keep this topical…. MH you still can’t have my stuff ‘cause even a day later I’m still playing. :P

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Posted by: Cassandra Nea.2507

Cassandra Nea.2507

Razor, I like the cut of your jib.

~EW

Edit: and you, too, Behellagh.

Oh I love that term. Other words not being used nearly as much as they should be: Flabbergasted, gobsmacked and cad.

Yeah, off topic – sorry.

(I can put these words into context of the thread if needed).

Seera.5916

Lol, it’s not about disposable income. How much disposable income a person has makes no difference if someone’s got nothing left in the game they find entertaining. And more to the point, in today’s FtP MMO market, disposable income has little impact on the capacity to try and play other games. Going FtP or spending disposable income, either way means moving on to something that’s entertaining now.

Sore feelings over not getting your money’s worth is another matter entirely… and as I said earlier, it isn’t any reason to stay playing the game. It is a reason to keep up on news and means that can alleviate those feelings.

You’re falling prey to the Sunk Cost Fallacy. Please look it up, it’s really important in this case. And, please don’t direct your frustration towards me.

~EW

Edit: Oh, and to keep this topical…. MH you still can’t have my stuff ‘cause even a day later I’m still playing. :P

And maybe others value their money spent differently. I put mine at how many hours did I get out of the game. If the number of hours meets or exceeds the cost of the game, then my money is well spent. Otherwise, I feel like I spent my money unwisely and feel bad moving on. Because what if in this next hour I find that special something that makes me love the game. Or maybe this time I’ll find it fun. But I have no problem playing games or doing other things that I find fun. I’ll just periodically pop into the game and see if things have changed (even if it’s only me that’s changed).

It’s not the end of the world or going to stop me from buying new things or keep me up at night kind of feeling bad, I don’t let it or the fear of it control my life. But I do still feel bad if I move on to a game that I haven’t gotten my money’s worth out of. 1, because I don’t have a whole lot of disposable income. So what money I do spend on entertainment needs to be worth it. 2, because I’m frugal. I hate spending money on things that I don’t find worth it.

And yes, I’m aware that nothing can change the fact that I spent money on something I didn’t feel as worth it. Yes, I’m aware that it’s not exactly logical to feel bad about it. But guess what? Emotions are very rarely based 100% on logic. It’s ok for emotions to be illogical.

You can feel bad about something and not let it affect what you do. Which is what you’re assuming. That we feel bad about and yet continue playing it completely due to that feeling bad. Maybe Dinks hasn’t moved on because they haven’t decided what to try next so they might as well continue playing GW2 just for something to do.

And BTW: I still have fun in GW2. I can just see how Dinks can feel bad about the game not being worthwhile.

EphemeralWallaby.7643

And maybe others value their money spent differently. I put mine at how many hours did I get out of the game. If the number of hours meets or exceeds the cost of the game, then my money is well spent. Otherwise, I feel like I spent my money unwisely and feel bad moving on. Because what if in this next hour I find that special something that makes me love the game. Or maybe this time I’ll find it fun. But I have no problem playing games or doing other things that I find fun. I’ll just periodically pop into the game and see if things have changed (even if it’s only me that’s changed).

Um, yeah we’re on the same page here….

It’s not the end of the world or going to stop me from buying new things or keep me up at night kind of feeling bad, I don’t let it or the fear of it control my life. But I do still feel bad if I move on to a game that I haven’t gotten my money’s worth out of. 1, because I don’t have a whole lot of disposable income. So what money I do spend on entertainment needs to be worth it. 2, because I’m frugal. I hate spending money on things that I don’t find worth it.

Um, yeah we’re on the same page here, too. I think most people fall under this umbrella… Personally, I lead an exceptionally modest life… If you knew me in RL you’d be a bit surprised at the assumptions you’ve made about my disposable income.

And yes, I’m aware that nothing can change the fact that I spent money on something I didn’t feel as worth it. Yes, I’m aware that it’s not exactly logical to feel bad about it. But guess what? Emotions are very rarely based 100% on logic. It’s ok for emotions to be illogical.

Yeah, that’s the defining characteristic of emotions. It’s great you have that awareness… some people don’t necessarily… and those that do don’t always have it in all circumstances. I know I don’t. But, when you have that awareness, what you choose to do with it is what matters. Making decisions based solely on emotions and no logical information isn’t ideal. Knowledge is power, or so I was taught by the TV when growing up.

You can feel bad about something and not let it affect what you do. Which is what you’re assuming. That we feel bad about and yet continue playing it completely due to that feeling bad.

No, I’m suggesting that some people might continue playing because a sense of loyalty/devotion/determination grown from their monetary OR emotional OR temporal investment in the game, despite feeling bad. And, I’m recognizing that happens, and trying to spread that awareness to those whom might have not considered it at this particular time. It’s a common enough occurrence that there’s an entire fallacy named after the concept.

It’s about nurturing the awareness you already have.

Maybe Dinks hasn’t moved on because they haven’t decided what to try next so they might as well continue playing GW2 just for something to do.

Maybe.

And BTW: I still have fun in GW2. I can just see how Dinks can feel bad about the game not being worthwhile.

As can I, for him and all the other people expressing their frustrations. So, why are you trying to pick an argument with me for encouraging someone to seek something fun to do with their free time? Can’t we just be friends in these turbulent forum times?

~EW

P.S. @MH: You still haven’t gotten anyone’s stuff!? Sorry to hear that

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Seera.5916

Um, yeah we’re on the same page here….

Um, yeah we’re on the same page here, too. I think most people fall under this umbrella… Personally, I lead an exceptionally modest life… If you knew me in RL you’d be a bit surprised at the assumptions you’ve made about my disposable income.

Yeah, that’s the defining characteristic of emotions. It’s great you have that awareness… some people don’t necessarily… and those that do don’t always have it in all circumstances. I know I don’t. But, when you have that awareness, what you choose to do with it is what matters. Making decisions based solely on emotions and no logical information isn’t ideal. Knowledge is power, or so I was taught by the TV when growing up.

You can feel bad about something and not let it affect what you do. Which is what you’re assuming. That we feel bad about and yet continue playing it completely due to that feeling bad.

No, I’m suggesting that some people might continue playing because a sense of loyalty/devotion/determination grown from their monetary OR emotional OR temporal investment in the game, despite feeling bad. And, I’m recognizing that happens, and trying to spread that awareness to those whom might have not considered it at this particular time. It’s a common enough occurrence that there’s an entire fallacy named after the concept.

It’s about nurturing the awareness you already have.

Maybe Dinks hasn’t moved on because they haven’t decided what to try next so they might as well continue playing GW2 just for something to do.

Maybe.

As can I, for him and all the other people expressing their frustrations. So, why are you trying to pick an argument with me for encouraging someone to seek something fun to do with their free time? Can’t we just be friends in these turbulent forum times?

~EW

P.S. @MH: You still haven’t gotten anyone’s stuff!? Sorry to hear that

Not trying to pick an argument. You just didn’t seem to be getting what I was saying. Or more likely, we both weren’t getting what the other was saying.

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Not trying to pick an argument. You just didn’t seem to be getting what I was saying. Or more likely, we both weren’t getting what the other was saying.

No worries. I do apologize if I wasn’t catching your meanings.

~EW

Posted by: Chyanne Waters.8719

Chyanne Waters.8719

I find it funny how some people say how Anet owes them because they paid X amount for a game that they can play free after they pay for it. How a Anet broke promises to them also.

I don’t know about other people, but the MMO Manifesto was never a promise it is an idea a guideline to follow. With so many idea’s being included in this game there are things about those guidelines that have slipped. The legendaries have been put on hold how long is up to them. Read what it said about them in the HoT guide again. It says that the new legendaries will be released in small groups that is what has happened so far. Now about the game itself and the Manifesto would you rather have them keep letting the game go just for those legendaries, or are they more important than fixing the game to what the manifesto idea is.