Since quitting GW2

Since quitting GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Theoldman.6483

Theoldman.6483

and not playing any game much.

In Dec and Jan both my sons and daughter-in-law stopped playing and went on to other games. I followed suit in mid January after logging 997 hours. I have played at a few other MMO but quickly tired of them. Feeling that they all were so similar with various pluses and minuses it didn’t matter any more what I played due to general burnout(started mmo’s back in 1999 with EQ).

What I have accomplished since then:
My chronic pain levels have dropped so much I am no longer on narcotic pain killers (broke back & 4 ribs falling out of tree 23 years ago).
I am off of 3 other meds and my cholesterol has dropped 50 points.
I have lost 18 pounds.
I am now able to stand on my feet for over an hour without needing to sit down.
I completed the reproduction of an 18th century hutch in cherry and walnut that I stated before GW2 release when I originally felt better.
I read 6 books.
I tore out all the old landscaping and prepared it to plant rose beds next spring.
I tore out the narrow front step, hand mixed concrete and pored a 10’ long step across the whole front porch.
I planted 4 trees.
I cleaned up my wood lathe and began woodturning again (quit turning about 8 years ago). Its amazing how much you can forget technique wise.
In two months I will be 67.

Why all the personal crap above?
As I checked into the forums every few weeks since the beginning of the year it seems to me that they continue to become more toxic over time. They also seem to be more toxic than other game forums “I” still occasionally visit. As I get my life back, it occurs to me that many of us tend to get wrapped up in a game losing our balance in life. Just something to think about.

Since quitting GW2

Posted by: Silver Chopper.4506

Silver Chopper.4506

You should change your name to ’TheWISEoldman".

I’m glad for you. And you are right about your final conclusion.

Since quitting GW2

Posted by: Grounder.7381

Grounder.7381

good that you have move on from overgaming..
my toxin lvl are still far above the charts ! ><

Since quitting GW2

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

Gaming can become a strong and unhealthy obsession.
Glad that you could overcome it.

Here is some interesting video about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_qlumZ5K4I

Since quitting GW2

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

As I checked into the forums every few weeks since the beginning of the year it seems to me that they continue to become more toxic over time. They also seem to be more toxic than other game forums “I” still occasionally visit. As I get my life back, it occurs to me that many of us tend to get wrapped up in a game losing our balance in life. Just something to think about.

Good for you on all the improvements, hope you are fortunate enough to maintain it

As for this part, I’m also a MMO gamer since EQ days (although I was a bit of a late arrival there). I don’t know what forums you still frequent, but all the ones I still pop into more or less look like this. Rampant self-entitlement, along with the drop in social standards due to the freedom granted by anonymity, are some of the things I’ve seen eat away at the core of just about every online game’s community

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Since quitting GW2

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

You will also shortly learn quit threads get locked by mods.

Also, everyone posting in this thread will get a annoying pm about the thread being closed…

Since quitting GW2

Posted by: Moderator.1462

Moderator.1462

Hi everyone,

As this thread is not GW2 related wea re closing it.
However, we are glad to know that you are getting better. We wish you the best to you and for your health.

Thanks for your understanding.
This thread is closed.