Size of Today's Patch

Size of Today's Patch

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

Can a DEV please tell me the estimated size of today’s patch? The launcher (from my knowledge) doesn’t show the size, but only how many files, but I need to know the actual MB amount because of a unique internet situation I have this week.

Can a DEV please tell me if we’re talking 100mb, 500mb, 1gb. 2+, 3+ ? Just a ballpark would work.

Thanks!

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

A size would be nice…. so I could gauge how long it will take me to download tonight. Something beyond my initial (personal) guesstimate of ‘painfully long.’

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

isn’t it usually around 1,3 G?

Gunnar’s Hold

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I think this one will be much bigger – also they might go down for a bit since they need to patch the servers also.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I’m quesstimating it will be about 900mb to 1gig, though it could be between 600mb and 2gig for all we know. What is still quite irksome is that we still will not know how large of a download it is until the last file finishes downloading due to the percentage of progress being based on number of files and not on the size of the files in the entire update. We could be at 500MB downloaded and sitting at 99% with 1 file to go and that last file could be 2gigs in size and continue to sit at 99% for a few more hours.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

It’s gonna be big, really big… bigger than big, it’s gonna be huge! Gigantic! Enormous! Titanic even!

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Titanic even!

So you’re saying it’s gonna sink?

chuckle

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I think they’ve been sneaking in pieces of the download for days now so it won’t be so big (it will still be large though). When the final download hits, it will activate the pieces we’ve already downloaded.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Osculim.2983

Osculim.2983

Nah it wont be to big remember they not adding much map changes except for the new pvp map. I expect no more than 1GB or so if even if its that big.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Nah it wont be to big remember they not adding much map changes except for the new pvp map. I expect no more than 1GB or so if even if its that big.

They are adding a lot – having to redo how the servers get addressed, etc is big – plus they will have to patch the servers.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

If you consider what constitutes the large portions of a patch, it has to be new graphics files and in terms of those, I think this patch will have very few…..unless the mechanic to unlock trait skills actually introduces new content (Bosses, map changes, etc.).

Beyond that, all the graphics content (wardrobe, PvP alteration, etc.) is already in the game files….your characters just will have different access to it. I don’t think UI interface changes and functionality on the client end require that much data to be transferred to the DB files (but I could certainly be wrong).

Long story short, it could be surprisingly small considering how much of the game it is going to alter.

Pretty sure servers will be patched on the fly (if they have not already been done or in progress). They likely have the updated servers sitting there waiting to generate new “patched” zones when clients with the new code log in. These days, servers use virtual machines that are likely both clustered and load balanced to allow for updates that are seamless to the end user client. I seriously don’t recall the last time they took down the game for “maintenance” and I have not seen an announcement that this will be the case today.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

It’s gonna be big, really big… bigger than big, it’s gonna be huge! Gigantic! Enormous! Titanic even!

I prefer the term Ginormous myself.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

I’m curious about this ‘unique internet situation’ but I’m guessin I won’t get a reply due to the OP having to ration their bandwith…

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Bragdras.9572

Bragdras.9572

Not big, a lot of it is text and change of scripts, not actual new models or textures.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Naqaj.6219

Naqaj.6219

They are adding a lot – having to redo how the servers get addressed, etc is big – plus they will have to patch the servers.

None of that is a lot of DATA though. No new items, textures, maps, sound, music …

I prefer the term Ginormous myself.

Humongdiqulous!

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: felivear.1536

felivear.1536

If one of you smart folks can determine the size of the patch after it’s downloaded and post it here, I would be grateful!

feLIVEar: Your resident forum king.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Greyhound.2058

Greyhound.2058

I would appreciate that too. If it’s a big update then my quaintly rustic threadband will turn it into an agony of eternity >.< I read that we get 5 free transmutation charges, but they’re only available on the day of the patch – well, it could well take longer than that for it to trickle through here lol

Size of Today's Patch

StinVec.3621

Will be sure to update after the patch. Though I download kind of slow so I’m sure others will update before I would be able to. Will be nice to also find out how much I’ll be downloading due to others downloading quicker than I and being so kind as to update here.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Hmmm the bulk of the size of any patch is graphics and sound, code shouldn’t be very large. Unless I’m completely mistaken, the Feature Patch doesn’t contain many (if any) new graphics or sound assets so I expect loads of files but not a very big patch in GBs.

The Feature Patch should be smaller than the LS patches which usually contain new models, new textures, new music and new dialogue / sound assets which can take up some considerable space.

Unless they patch through some S2 content while we aren’t looking.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: OneManArmy.9732

OneManArmy.9732

no new content – little size. 500mb max

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I_________O_________I

This big.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Allanon.9072

Allanon.9072

no new content – little size. 500mb max

That ppl lake to hype the hell out from a patch that only contain fixes.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Osculim.2983

Osculim.2983

you have to remember patching works different in gw2 than other games their tech allows them to do stuff in the background thats why you never have downtime for patches in gw2 and im sure they use the same tech for servers. They might already have it ready.

A while back they had a whole explanation of how it works.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

why do people think it’s going to be so big? I think maybe 60-200mb.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

Let’s play a game of writing random numbers as file size. Oh! You all started before me. So unfair

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

If I remember right from GW1, the size of a patch varies person to person for many reasons. It depends on areas previously visited, it depends on background downloads, it depends on when you last played, what files you already have that need changing, what files you DON’T have. This is because Guild Wars only downloads the client and a few functional files and you download more files every time you load a map. When that map changes, you need to redownload it.

Now it’s not much of a difference. I could be getting 800MB, someone else could be getting 1.2GB. To give you a cut and dry number of what the patch is will be hard enough. To give you a number of what the patch WILL be? Nobody knows.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Tamryu.5978

Tamryu.5978

It’s going to be a Norn sized patch – fairly large but not gigantic

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

I’d actually be more interested in a “number of patches” guess game rather than a “size of patch” guess game

20 level 80s and counting.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

I’d actually be more interested in a “number of patches” guess game rather than a “size of patch” guess game

That DOES sound more fun.

6. One release, 5 bug fixes.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Hopeless.5403

Hopeless.5403

My guess is 2.4GB chomp chomp chomp

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Midnightzz.7325

Midnightzz.7325

Gargantuan!
I don’t know I’m downloading the entire game right now so I hope I don’t have another “GARGANTUAN” dl on my hands.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

My guess is 1.27GB

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

this isnt a content update, only quality of life junk

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

Personally I’d guess in the 500-800mb range, but it’s impossible to say.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: alwinp.2791

alwinp.2791

This is a good suggestion. This should be a primary thing in updates anyway.
I always wondered how big the filed are i’m downloading.

I don’t think its hard for devs to check the file content right before the patch happens and add it as info at the patch notes or announcement.

Some people have limited download, and if they suprisingly exceed it because of an update like this it can become a frustrating matter.

This way we know how much we are downloading and we can prepare for situations like this.

This should be done with every patch btw, even if its just a few kb’s of lines that got editted

+1

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Fabinatoren.4869

Fabinatoren.4869

My guess is 1.27GB

Is there some kind of reward to the closest one ;D

I think I can see how big it is on the launcher, so I’ll tell you after I get the update…
It usually is between 1 and 1,3 GB but I think this will be smaller due to mostly of it is server updates.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: viralthefrog.6130

viralthefrog.6130

I guess it will be x (kb/mb/gb)!

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

2/300 mb

Then 5 updates 1 major and the 4 others to fix something they broke

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Corpus Christi.2057

Corpus Christi.2057

Almost no new, perma content, just features. My bet is max. 350-450 mb

Three 80-lvl Rangers. Why? ‘Cos they’re that cool.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I’m going to say it’s roughly 200-220MB.

Just patched

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Size of Today's Patch

StinVec.3621

I’m going to say it’s roughly 200-220MB.

Just patched

I concur, just over 200MB or so.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

If you think you got it bad, my new computer got delivered this afternoon and sitting here waiting for the mammmu of uploads just to get the game back. So there.

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

So copying the files over a network or large USB isn’t possible for you?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Size of Today's Patch

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

Its going well and would rather have a totally fresh upload on this puppy. Been tweaking some stuffs I wanted to and looking at new features (went to Windows anyway while the upload is going on so upload will be done before I know it.