Skepticism about XP

Skepticism about XP

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: wmtyrance.3571

wmtyrance.3571

The expansion sounds really good. But after HOT many people are skeptic about it. I have been going to other gaming sites to see what people are saying about this new expansion and its 50/50 on how people feel about it. Most of the negative is because of HOT. ArenaNet has its work cut out for them if they want to prove that this will be different. I wish them luck on this. I hope they won’t be silent until the launch of the expansion and put out more info. Sure the free play time will be a start but they still need to do more.

Skepticism about XP

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m at least waiting for the open beta events to try it before I even entertain the idea of pre-purchasing it. Even then I’ll most likely wait until after launch for player reviews, videos and such before buying it if I do at all. The pre-purchase bonus items are not appealing to me so I’m in no rush.

I know some people like the HoT style maps but if PoF has similar maps that are, in my opinion, like massive jump puzzles I’m going to pass on the expansion. I’m a bit concerned because they kept mentioning the word “puzzle” during the announcement stream.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Skepticism about XP

Posted by: Cromx.3941

Cromx.3941

Um like I won’t be buying it. Oh look more gated mastery garbage. I’ll pass. I haven’t bothered with all the HoT mastery gates already because frankly its a chore and a bore. So my toon is at +33 and maxed xp for the bar.

I simply don’t care. And the game has really poor balance where its just a face roll DPS race as the damage you receive in PVE is so out of control that nothing short of a dodge roll matters for mitigation. So Vitality and Toughness are just worthless stats overall.

Likewise to healing builds, you cant heal dead and thats what most people are if a mob so much at looks at them the wrong way. Overall this is one of the most dumbed down MMOs I have played.

Fantastic artwork, but the obvious gates on content and poor balance rob this game of what makes a MMO great.

Skepticism about XP

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Um like I won’t be buying it. Oh look more gated mastery garbage. I’ll pass. I haven’t bothered with all the HoT mastery gates already because frankly its a chore and a bore. So my toon is at +33 and maxed xp for the bar.

I simply don’t care. And the game has really poor balance where its just a face roll DPS race as the damage you receive in PVE is so out of control that nothing short of a dodge roll matters for mitigation. So Vitality and Toughness are just worthless stats overall.

Likewise to healing builds, you cant heal dead and thats what most people are if a mob so much at looks at them the wrong way. Overall this is one of the most dumbed down MMOs I have played.

Fantastic artwork, but the obvious gates on content and poor balance rob this game of what makes a MMO great.

I currently run with a little over 3200 armor on my main, with some vitality for about 3k health above base for my profession and it makes a huge difference compared to the glass builds I have also used. Dodging is important too, of course, but traditional MMO mitigation has an effective place as well.

Skepticism about XP

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Gated mastery garbage? Like if other games had increased their level cap which then gated the story and map exploration?

Skepticism about XP

Posted by: draugris.9872

draugris.9872

On the plus side we have, new zones and a new story and yeah mounts…. what a unique feature for an mmo. On the minus side we have, no new fractals, no new raids, no new pvp maps or game modes, no wvw updates. It feels more or less like they glued together a few of the free content updates and called it expansion. The new elite specs i predict will be horrible, the same people who were in charge for the power creep in HoT are also in charge for this XP. So expect even more power creep, zero balance and the same fotm meta like always. I surely won´t spend money on this until proven otherwise.

Mondsucht [MS] – Kodash

(edited by draugris.9872)

Skepticism about XP

Posted by: Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

Egrimm Van Horstmann.7921

WP’s post show does bring a ton of questions with it. I own the expansion waiting to play. But given what’s been said it really looks like Anet has some ambitious ideas. The problem I see is yes power creep is going to be insane and without much beta testing it’s going to frustrate PvP and WvW for quite some time. Adding nine new builds all demanding balance isn’t going to be easy and without heavy pre testing it may actually bite them big time. For some of the professions I play the feedback is worrisome if not disappointing. Nobody reviewed the Ranger. It was my first profession and was fun until HoT. Now it looks like the Necro is going full condi with Reaper being an exercise in futility to create a power based elite. The Thief isn’t encouraging when for a sniper with the new mechanics given how static the Elite looks to play. It won’t be for open world, raid, and LS if it’s highly immobile. Elemental is a mess now you have even more elements to manage, every weapon just increased by two fold the number of possibilies. Engineer I will have to play to know if it will be fun. Warrior is PvP and WvW exclusive this expansion so that’s one I really don’t have to waste time with. Mesmer could be fun but it sounds too heavily based on PvP and WvW. Revenant is one of my least favorite just don’t like the professions lack of build diversity, so it’s probably not going to see much play. Guardian actually looks interesting hopefully more direct damage and not soo much support play.

Mounts could be fun, hopefully the MP’s will be more achievable still don’t have all of HoT, it makes the game really hard when you spend the bulk of play solo.

Skepticism about XP

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Firstly, the title of this post is misleading. XP is a common acronym for Experience Points, not Expansion Pac, so you lured me in here thinking you were talking about that. But speaking of the ExPac, I’m excited. I didn’t expect to be – but hearing that there’s five new maps, and massive ones at that, plus the masteries, mounts and elites, gives me cause to hope that an explorer/completionist like me will have plenty to do. Good luck to the XP! Or rather, ExPac!

Skepticism about XP

Posted by: Fractured.3928

Fractured.3928

Am I the only person who really liked HoTs? I thought it was unique, gorgeous, and the map wide events were fantastic. Also gliding was more fun than I thought it would be.

Tangled Depths is still hell though.

Skepticism about XP

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Am I the only person who really liked HoTs? I thought it was unique, gorgeous, and the map wide events were fantastic. Also gliding was more fun than I thought it would be.

Far from being alone. HoT is a superb work of game art and systems, with poor marketing and worse content delivery timing giving it a bad image.

I, personally, just love gliding, the NPC stories, the challenging foes and the Maguuma Jungle. It is gorgeous: Verdant Brink is for me the best MMORPG map ever made, period. The elite specs and masteries mechanics were more hit and miss for me, but they are great mechanics and an a truly creative way to solve the problem of character progression.

So far, PoF is way more lacking to me. I’m sure I’ll buy it eventually, because I love GW2, but mounts, hypertrofied maps and GW1 nostalgia are not my cup of tea.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Skepticism about XP

Fractured.3928

Far from being alone. HoT is a superb work of game art and systems, with poor marketing and worse content delivery timing giving it a bad image.

I, personally, just love gliding, the NPC stories, the challenging foes and the Maguuma Jungle. It is gorgeous: Verdant Brink is for me the best MMORPG map ever made, period. The elite specs and masteries mechanics were more hit and miss for me, but they are great mechanics and an a truly creative way to solve the problem of character progression.

So far, PoF is way more lacking to me. I’m sure I’ll buy it eventually, because I love GW2, but mounts, hypertrofied maps and GW1 nostalgia are not my cup of tea.

I’m with you, I was decently excited till my friend and I watched the trailer and his first words were “That’s it?”. Like, don’t want to sound entitled, but they added a few gimmicks and a flat desert. I was hoping the crystal desert would be a bit more….changed from the Elder Dragon.

Forests of crystals, crazy new crystal forts and mobs, floating islands/crystals. Could have added so much. But so far, we get a generic desert. I hope there is more to it, I REALLY do.

Skepticism about XP

Posted by: Shortage.5427

Shortage.5427

HoT was a piece of garbage. All it gave us was ugly jungle maps, that we skimmed over, ruined fractals and removed dungeons. HoT was the biggest plague of an expansion. It had 0 gear progression and made everything unrewarding and tedious.

Skepticism about XP

Fractured.3928

HoT was a piece of garbage. All it gave us was ugly jungle maps, that we skimmed over, ruined fractals and removed dungeons. HoT was the biggest plague of an expansion. It had 0 gear progression and made everything unrewarding and tedious.

I mean, for a game that has basically prided itself on not having gear progression….I wouldn’t think you’d be surprised by this?

Skepticism about XP

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Even though the content seems really interesting, I was a little surprised that it didn’t have more – like new dungeons, new capitals/races, new weapons, or more than one new guild hall. They really, really needed to up their game from HoT and I’m feeling skeptical that they really have. It looks like they’re delivering roughly the same amount of new content (only sightly more at best) than they did for HoT, which is a little cringey.

With that said, I’ve liked the overall design trajectory of season 3 enough that there’s little question I’ll buy it.