Skill Lag/Failure - Can Stand It No Longer

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TechnoBill.5198

TechnoBill.5198

I’m done. I quit. I can take it no more.

And yes, I know that no one cares. Go ahead and ask if you can have my stuff. (You can’t.) And no, I won’t be back when HoT finally is released even though I bought the $99 package.

For months I and many others have reported incredible amounts of skill lag and skill failure during large events. WvW, World Bosses, Silverwaste events, etc.

There has been not one instance that I have been able to locate in which Anet has responded to these reports.

This problem began (for me at least) when the condition calculation changes were first introduced months ago. It was limited to extremely large events like Karka Queen, Modnir Ulgoth and a few others most of the time. When the stack cap was increased the problem became the norm for ALL major events.

This issue is not client side. There is no graphical lag. There is no increased ping times to the server. There is no indication that anything is wrong during these events/fights except for the failure to have my key presses acknowledged by the server.

Example:

Karka Queen fight.
Elementalist with staff.
Press 2, cursor at right spot, press 2 again and the square starts to blink.
Second or two later it goes solid again but did not activate.
Press 2, cursor at right spot, press 2 again and it begins to blink.
Second or two later it goes solid again but did not activate.

This is the case for just about ALL of my abilities during large events.

Auto Attack 1 continues during all of this but the animation and the speed of the attack is GREATLY slowed.

The minute the boss is dead / event is over all abilities return to normal.

I have noticed this SAME effect when on a map that a world boss event is occuring even when I am not nearby. The fight starts (based on time and map chat) and my abilities start to be delayed. Not as strongly as if I was present at the fight but significantly enough that it affects my combat on the opposite side of the map.

When the boss chest icon appears on the map signifying the event is over my abilities return to normal.

This occurs no matter the video quality settings. I have tried with EVERYTHING at the lowest setting accept for keeping the resolution/rendering at native and the result is the same. Abilities are delayed and/or won’t fire at all.

Now I know that it is cliche to say “I work in the industry.” or “I have a degree in ‘computers’.” but sometimes it is true. In my case though 1) I no longer work in the industry but did for MANY years and 2) I do have a bachelor’s degree in Information Systems and Telecommunications. In my case my experience nor my education make me an expert or even an amateur in game design or the coding that is involved. I have never done much coding and I have NEVER attempted game design or creation. But my background does HELP me try and troubleshoot the source of the problem from the player’s perspective.

Based on what I have read and inferred from the current megaserver environment is that the server makes virtual servers for each instanced map and that they are created on the fly as needed based on population. The parameters on when and how are not a concern for my hypothesis.

I believe that the amount of calculations that must be performed for each and every player’s abilities/skills during a major event overload the processing power for the hardware that instance is on. If one physical server hosts multiple instances of the same map during a large world boss event the problem would be magnified greatly.

The server while trying to process all of the data it is receiving becomes overloaded and cannot in a timely manner process the command that you issued via your client and so the client gets no response and resets the skill/ability. No cooldown is triggered because it the skill was never activated as the server failed to respond saying the request was accepted and will be processed.

Now I know that this might not be the case but it is my best educated guess as to why after the condition changes this problem surfaced.

This problem is mentioned and complained about constantly at world boss events. I have seen topic after topic made on it and all have gone without even a passing comment by an Anet employee.

This “blind eye” to the problem has pushed me over the edge. I don’t want to play anymore. Pushing buttons and having them accepted is the most basic part of ANY game. When I can’t do that then there is no game only frustration and I value my free time enough to say no more to the frustration.

Hopefully this might catch someone’s eye and instigate a reply. All those players still struggling with it would probably appreciate one.

Hope it gets fixed soon for those that stick it out.

Time to go check my Steam library.

:-)

Posted by: Pure Heart.1456

Pure Heart.1456

This “blind eye” to the problem has pushed me over the edge. I don’t want to play anymore. Pushing buttons and having them accepted is the most basic part of ANY game. When I can’t do that then there is no game only frustration and I value my free time enough to say no more to the frustration.

This part of your post was particularly good.

Do you have a powerful CPU? (graphics might be fine, but game calculations are done on the CPU)

Can you test with another more powerful computer from your home? or, nearby residence?

Posted by: Bensozia.8071

Bensozia.8071

I’m having the same problem with key presses that don’t trigger skills and I have a good gaming computer. Its with most any fight , not just bosses. Its definitely since one of the recent patches.

Guardians of the Light [GOTL]
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]
DragonBrand

Posted by: TechnoBill.5198

TechnoBill.5198

I have a Core i7 from a couple years ago running at 3.0GHz with12GB of RAM running Windows 7 64 bit.

Geforce GTX 750 Ti for graphics.

My system isn’t a slouch. Not the best gaming rig anymore but perfectly capable of handling GW2.

I’m confused as to your comment that game calculations are handled by my CPU.

The server is handling the input from all the clients involved and then giving that info back to the clients indicating what just occured on each tick.

My CPU should be processing only what I did in relation to the data sent and received from the server.

Am I missing something?

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Welcome to the wonderful world of command queues…… I recall a time when the Devs said they couldn’t uncap Condie because it would kill the servers. Now they uncap condi, and its killing the servers…….

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Are you saying support didn’t reply when you emailed? I can understand why a forum post would be ignored since they rarely are able to reply to posts, but they have helped countless people with lag issues via a ticket. I’m surprised if you got no reply that way.

I haven’t seen any change in any framerate/lag/skill issues so I can’t comment on where the problem lies, but I’m certain if you want a dev reply, direct comms will prove more successful than a forum post.

Posted by: Tao.1234

Tao.1234

This part of your post was particularly good.

Do you have a powerful CPU? (graphics might be fine, but game calculations are done on the CPU)

Can you test with another more powerful computer from your home? or, nearby residence?

It’s not about CPU, or GPU.

Almost every boss looks like on the screenshot(it’s Taidha).
Great Jungle Wurm is even worse.
Karka is beyond understanding.

It’s not our ISPs that are at fault, but NCSoft’s server infrastructure which is leased by ArenaNet.

But ArenaNet of course always says, but always – it’s your ISP, not us.

#BestTechAdminsNALevel

Thank you very much, here’s my middle finger.

Attachments:

Suspended for telling Like it is.
Anet gave birth to Gw2 – Anet killed Gw2.
Murican law 2015.

Posted by: Archranis.2375

Archranis.2375

I’ve found the same thing. Could make some reasonable tech-level guesses as to how they’ve implemented things which cause this to happen, but that wouldn’t really accomplish anything.

I’ve had a good amount of success disabling auto-attack when this happens. Although I have to press more buttons during the battle, it lets me get those other skills in there — and I can adjust how fast I’m pressing buttons to deal with the lag. Once you get those longer-recharge skills on cool down, yes, you do have to spam your usual auto-attack skill, but it seems to be an improvement (although still leaves much to be desired).

[JUGs] Just Us Grownups — http://jugs-guild.com
Contacts: Archranis.2375 // Neksis Syxx.6983

Posted by: Voluptus.3509

Voluptus.3509

It’s happening to my gf right now. Her ping is 61 and she has an 8 core monster CPU.

It didn’t start until after she zoned into her Arah story instance, which she is trying to solo.

An hour and a half later, she’s on the ship and can’t seem to stay in the guns. She has to hit F repeatedly and then when the queue catches up she pops in and out of the guns repeatedly without touching a thing.

Ping is still great.