Skill points and Spirit Shards?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

A quick update on this one -> After feedback from presenting the original hero point count – we decided getting to level 80 will give you enough hero points to unlock all the core skills and traits entirely. Doing hero challenges (aka skill challenges) will simply allow you to earn all the skills/traits earlier before level 80. With the release of HoT, there will be options to spend the excess hero points earned from doing hero challenges in the world.

There are a number of other changes on 6/23 to make the experience from 1-80 more exciting, better-paced, rewarding, and fun as well after having the time to evaluate and player feedback from the updates last year.

-CJ

Thanks Colin… After I have been grinding out all the skill points on my 9 lvl 80’s in preparation. LOL

I know it doesn’t hurt anything to have them done, but I could have been doing other, more fun things. groan

Posted by: Bettik.4982

Bettik.4982

After feedback from presenting the original hero point count – we decided getting to level 80 will give you enough hero points to unlock all the core skills and traits entirely.

Thank you sir for listening to the community. All my WvW characters collectively /bow…

Posted by: Galandil.9641

Galandil.9641

That’s fine for lvl 80 characters.

But what about other characters, not already 80, but with all the skills already unlocked via scrolls and with all the traits unlocked? I have two characters created way before the NPE, and they have all the skills/“basic” traits (i.e.: all traits except the 5 lately introduced GM) already unlocked, even if they’re both between lvls 40-50.

Do we get a refund of skill points in spirit shards, or are all those skill points spent lost? And what about traits?

Posted by: Arlee.7038

Arlee.7038

But what about other characters, not already 80, but with all the skills already unlocked via scrolls and with all the traits unlocked? I have two characters created way before the NPE, and they have all the skills/“basic” traits (i.e.: all traits except the 5 lately introduced GM) already unlocked, even if they’re both between lvls 40-50.

Do we get a refund of skill points in spirit shards, or all those skill points spent lost? And what about traits?

You’ll get hero points for each level you’ve obtained and for each world skill challenge you’ve done. You’ll get spirit shards for each scroll you’ve used.

Galandil.9641

Do we get a refund of skill points in spirit shards, or all those skill points spent lost? And what about traits?

You’ll get hero points for each level you’ve obtained and for each world skill challenge you’ve done. You’ll get spirit shards for each scroll you’ve used.

Can you provide me some official link on the matter?

On page 1 other people are saying the exact opposite. Keep in mind that I’m not talking about a character who has unspent skill points (like my main toon), but I’m talking about a non-80 lvl char, which has all skills unlocked and 0 skill points available.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

On page 1 other people are saying the exact opposite. Keep in mind that I’m not talking about a character who has unspent skill points (like my main toon), but I’m talking about a non-80 lvl char, which has all skills unlocked and 0 skill points available.

No, you don’t get your skills that you unlocked with skill scrolls back. There are no official statements about refunds specifically, but chances are they will not be able to refund the skill points you made through skill scrolls, or the gold and skill points you spent on traits before the patch goes live. In essence, I recommend not spending anything tonight until after the patch hits.

Yours is a somewhat unique scenario in that you got your alts literally everything before they even hit 80. I imagine most people tend to only buy what they want to use, but if you feel like it’s not fair, then you could possibly submit a ticket in game. I don’t think there’s much that can be done, especially since the changes to hero points have been known for months now.

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

A quick update on this one -> After feedback from presenting the original hero point count – we decided getting to level 80 will give you enough hero points to unlock all the core skills and traits entirely. Doing hero challenges (aka skill challenges) will simply allow you to earn all the skills/traits earlier before level 80. With the release of HoT, there will be options to spend the excess hero points earned from doing hero challenges in the world.

There are a number of other changes on 6/23 to make the experience from 1-80 more exciting, better-paced, rewarding, and fun as well after having the time to evaluate and player feedback from the updates last year.

-CJ

Well that is both unexpected and welcome news! Thank you!

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

I have 10 characters that now have 100% Map Completion in anticipation of tomorrow’s update. Was this for nothing?

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

MiniEquine.6014

I have 10 characters that now have 100% Map Completion in anticipation of tomorrow’s update. Was this for nothing?

No, map completion still gave you all that karma, hero points for elite specs, all of the waypoints unlocked on all of your characters, and the Gift of Explorations needed to make one of every single legendary weapon (in your case).

Not really much to complain about here. You will still need the excess hero points for Elite specs down the road, so it was not for nothing. Edit: you certainly didn’t need to do map completion to get enough hero points for the first elite spec either. The most you needed was originally somewhere around 67 skill challenges, which is less than a third of them all.

Galandil.9641

No, you don’t get your skills that you unlocked with skill scrolls back. There are no official statements about refunds specifically, but chances are they will not be able to refund the skill points you made through skill scrolls, or the gold and skill points you spent on traits before the patch goes live. In essence, I recommend not spending anything tonight until after the patch hits.

Yours is a somewhat unique scenario in that you got your alts literally everything before they even hit 80. I imagine most people tend to only buy what they want to use, but if you feel like it’s not fair, then you could possibly submit a ticket in game. I don’t think there’s much that can be done, especially since the changes to hero points have been known for months now.

Of all the gripes that I have with everything HoT related, this is the less important for me, it was just a curiosity.

However, just for the sake of precision, they COULD give spirit shards, since it’s pretty trivial to calculate how many skill points have been used from scrolls to buy the skills. It’s just Total skill points spent on skills/traits (fixed costs) – skill points received up to that lvl (fixed amount) – skill points earned by skill challenges (trackable) = skill points received by scrolls. ^^

Posted by: Arlee.7038

Arlee.7038

First of all, they said that was how it was going to work on the stream where they previewed this stuff and Colin’s newest post doesn’t change that. Secondly can you people please read the dang dev blogs they have been posting over the last month?

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/updating-your-wallet/

“The conversion of skill points to spirit shards will be automatic. This will happen on a per character basis, so make sure to log in on each character to receive your total count! I think you’ll be surprised at just how many spirit shards you have.”

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/specializations-part-two-reward-tracks-and-elite-specializations/

“Old skill points in excess of those earned by leveling and skill challenges will be converted into crafting materials for the Mystic Forge. Items and activities that were previously repeatable sources of skill points will now also provide that same crafting material.”

Guess what? The crafting material was the later revealed Spirit Shard.

(edited by Arlee.7038)

penelopehannibal.8947

No, map completion still gave you all that karma, hero points for elite specs, all of the waypoints unlocked on all of your characters, and the Gift of Explorations needed to make one of every single legendary weapon (in your case).

Not really much to complain about here. You will still need the excess hero points for Elite specs down the road, so it was not for nothing. Edit: you certainly didn’t need to do map completion to get enough hero points for the first elite spec either. The most you needed was originally somewhere around 67 skill challenges, which is less than a third of them all.

Thank you for the reply – I understand I didn’t need everything, but I was doing the map completion anyway instead of just getting certain things instead of skipping past content (skipping past Hearts, POI, Vistas for example just to get the skill challenges).

I still enjoy mapping and I will continue to do so, but I just felt that map completion was about to become a more significant thing than it has been recently, only to be knocked backed again. It still feels like a blow.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Galandil.9641

First of all, they said that was how it was going to work on the stream where they previewed this stuff and Colin’s newest post doesn’t change that. Secondly can you people please read the dang dev blogs they have been posting over the last month?

“The conversion of skill points to spirit shards will be automatic. This will happen on a per character basis, so make sure to log in on each character to receive your total count! I think you’ll be surprised at just how many spirit shards you have.”

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/specializations-part-two-reward-tracks-and-elite-specializations/

“Old skill points in excess of those earned by leveling and skill challenges will be converted into crafting materials for the Mystic Forge. Items and activities that were previously repeatable sources of skill points will now also provide that same crafting material.”

I read already those posts some time ago. Still, they don’t answer my SPECIFIC request, since we’re not talking neither about unspent skill points in excess nor about items like scrolls not already used.

However, I’ll see tomorrow if I get some spirit shards from the already spent scrolls from those 2 toons. If not, I’ll come back here and have a laugh at your misplaced arrogance.

MiniEquine.6014

Yeah, I read every blog post that comes out. Like the above poster, it doesn’t address unspent skill points directly. Maybe this is alluding to them with their “You may be surprised at just how many you have!” quote. That would be really cool if they could do it, don’t get me wrong, but as of right now all we have is a vague statement regarding their conversion.

Posted by: Sunreva.8714

Sunreva.8714

This is excellent news. The prior significant changes to the trait system were horrific, as merely leveling to 80 wasn’t enough. Then you had to go out and spend gold + hundreds of ADDITIONAL skill points to unlock all the traits/utilities and so forth. Tomorrows system would have made it slightly better, but still required grinding an additional 65 points after level 80. But not anymore. This is the way it should be. You reach level 80, the character is done. No more grinding for skills or traits.

penelopehannibal.8947

With the release of HoT, there will be options to spend the excess hero points earned from doing hero challenges in the world.

Ok, after some initial shock, I re-read this, and I guess it’s not so bad.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I like new info. What I dislike is that they haven’t given us a comprehensive and detailed information on Hero Points quantity and distribution. Like, we’ll get 400 by reaching level 80, but how paced will these points be? Will they be given by Level-up rewards? This is what I’d like to see in advance…

Based on what Colin said above, I assume it’s like this: you will receive level-based Hero Points at roughly the same pace as you gained skill and trait points before. I’m sure once the system is out (tomorrow) there will be a specific list on the wiki in short order. This will allow you to unlock skills and traits roughly when you would have gotten them before. You can also earn hero points from doing the old blue chevrons on the map, to skip ahead of the leveling curve as you always could. I’m assuming that the original plan was that once you hit 80, you would have enough points to buy all the traits and skills that you might have been able to unlock at 80 under the old system.

The new change is that once you hit 80, all the base skills and traits unlock whether you have the points for them or not, boom. You then also have these points, which presumably you’ll need for the HoT specializations and maybe other stuff.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

-CJ

What? That sounds so stupid.

I would want work I do in core to matter to core, not expansions.

“Hey, you did all this work, but you won’t get rewarded unless you cash out additional money to us.”

Games – base games and expansions – should reward within their own system.

I don’t mean to sound like an kitten or anything, but that set up sounds really stupid to me.

We will be needing about 400 hero points and will now be receiving all 400 from just leveling, while practically doubling the amount via map completion, and being able to do nothing with that doubling…

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

(edited by Konig Des Todes.2086)

penelopehannibal.8947

-CJ

What? That sounds so stupid.

I would want work I do in core to matter to core, not expansions.

“Hey, you did all this work, but you won’t get rewarded unless you cash out additional money to us.”

Games – base games and expansions – should reward within their own system.

It might not necessarily mean you need HoT to spend the Skill challenges, just when HoT comes out.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

-CJ

I think this is a very good decision! Thanks for letting us know, and taking our feedback into consideration. I’m looking forward to the update even more now.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Tomes of knowledge will give spirit shards on level 80 characters after this update.

Where has that been stated?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

“Tomes of knowledge will level you up if you are under level 80 and give one spirit shard if you’ve reached level 80.”

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

More Player Feedback

As one of the players who has repeatedly spoken out strongly, stridently and yes, bitterly about the trait changes and NPE, and pretty much dropped out of the game for months as a consequence of that and other missteps, I want to make it crystal clear that I am really, really impressed with how you and the designers have bounced back, and I am truly thrilled with where GW2 is going.

Thank you SO MUCH for listening to us, working so hard to make GW2 better, and succeeding at doing just that.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Question- My level 80 characters will not receive Spirit Shards from completing Skill Challenges, but Hero Points, correct? I’m trying to decide if I should run around and do as many Skill Challenges as possible tonight, to buy a Bloodstone Shard.

Galandil.9641

Question- My level 80 characters will not receive Spirit Shards from completing Skill Challenges, but Hero Points, correct? I’m trying to decide if I should run around and do as many Skill Challenges as possible tonight, to buy a Bloodstone Shard.

Correct.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

-CJ

TY so much Colin!

This was such a huge issue for me and I’m very happy to see you guys considering our feedback. Having many alts that I leveled in WvW meant that I would have to run them through maps for skill challenges over and over again. I was not looking forward to such a tedious task at all. So this is just perfect! Thanks again.

Posted by: obastable.5231

obastable.5231

I’m happy and I’m not, at the same time, because I just spent all of my scrolls and tomes of knowledge over the past week or two to make sure the characters I play most wouldn’t be gated out of the new content too much, as per previous announcements on the matter. Now at the last minute they announce the change and I find out I just robbed myself of a “significant amount” of spirit shards.

Thanks Anet. Color me unimpressed.

Hello Kitty Krewe
“Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare!”

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

I’m happy and I’m not, at the same time, because I just spent all of my scrolls and tomes of knowledge over the past week or two to make sure the characters I play most wouldn’t be gated out of the new content too much, as per previous announcements on the matter. Now at the last minute they announce the change and I find out I just robbed myself of a “significant amount” of spirit shards.

That’s not how it worked before. Before, you would get 400 hero points for just being 80. Then if you wanted to unlock the rest of your skills you needed to go out and do hero point challenges (at least 65). Nowhere did they say scrolls would count towards any of this. My understanding was that any points you have beyond what you got leveling up to 80 or through challenges would be turned into shards not hero points. This is the whole reason we were complaining, because it meant a character leveled through WvW with no maps/skill point challenges would have to run through these maps to get all their skills unlocked (even ones you had unlocked before the patch). And if you had alts, you’d have to do this over and over again. In fact, I didn’t bother using any of my scrolls and tomes because I knew they would not get me any hero points under this old system. Now it’s all fixed and we don’t have to do this anymore. I think you just misunderstood the way it worked.

(edited by xarallei.4279)

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

omg thank you!! That one was a big thing for me as i play mainly wvw and the thought of having to roam pve for hours worried me.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

Thank you for the reply – I understand I didn’t need everything, but I was doing the map completion anyway instead of just getting certain things instead of skipping past content (skipping past Hearts, POI, Vistas for example just to get the skill challenges).

I still enjoy mapping and I will continue to do so, but I just felt that map completion was about to become a more significant thing than it has been recently, only to be knocked backed again. It still feels like a blow.

i’m in the same situation as you’re. initially was just doing the necessary 65 skill point challenge in preparation for the update, but then i thought might as well cover everything. up until yesterday i got 2 more character to 100% completion, making it 5 characters altogether. now working on my 6th which only just have hearts left to do, my 7th and 8th also only have hearts left to do. will not stop until all of them are 100%.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Grumpdogg.6910

Grumpdogg.6910

I currently have excess skill points on my character as well as skill point books. Are both being converted into spirit shards?

“I swung a sword, I swung a sword again, oh look I swung a sword again!”
- Colin Johanson while spamming key 1 in GW2

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

You haven’t robbed yourself of anything. All the skill points you have in excess of being lvl 80 and “Hero Challenges” will be turned into spirit shards and placed in your wallet. You may have robbed an alt of some levels by using the Tomes, but those come regularly anyway, so probably not a big loss. All skill point scrolls would have turned into spirit shards anyway, so no loss there.

Posted by: ferozstein.2150

ferozstein.2150

Aaaaaand my level 80s do not have everything unlocked, despite the announcement. Fail.

Mojo Gris Gris.5941

Aaaaaand my level 80s do not have everything unlocked, despite the announcement. Fail.

Are you sure you don’t just have to spend Hero Points to unlock them? I won’t get a chance to check it out for another 5 1/2 hours… So bug or oversight?

Galandil.9641

I read already those posts some time ago. Still, they don’t answer my SPECIFIC request, since we’re not talking neither about unspent skill points in excess nor about items like scrolls not already used.

However, I’ll see tomorrow if I get some spirit shards from the already spent scrolls from those 2 toons. If not, I’ll come back here and have a laugh at your misplaced arrogance.

Back here just to laugh, as I predicted, I lost all the skills AND points on my ranger/necro.

Posted by: Piteous.4165

Piteous.4165

I already had all my skills unlocked, why do I have to pay hero whatever to unlock them again?

Blackgate
Stay frosty! Keep it tight!

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Have people even tried to look more than just seeing that not everything is automatically unlocked?

If you are lvl 80 you have enough points to unlock everything.
Yes, you need to do it manually, but the points are there.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Correct.

Is nobody else mildly upset about this nerf to skill points, ahem, spirit shards? Everyone is so excited about not having to spend gold on traits, they just looked past the fact that map completion no longer rewards us with 303 spirit shards? I occasionally make and sell legendaries, and map completion went hand in hand with acquiring the bloodstone shard.

“You’ll be able to earn spirit shards through daily achievements, champion loot bags, PvP reward tracks, birthday gifts, and, once you hit level 80, from tomes of knowledge and regular drops from creatures.”
-Do we expect to earn spirit shards at the same rate as we did skill points previously? Any retroactive reward for those of us who have had multiple birthdays already?

Just curious about what you all think of the spirit shard situation.

Posted by: Geegah.9205

Geegah.9205

is there a way to reset skill points/hero points? for some reason my skill points werent reset on the changes they were just all channeled into the shout and defense line. Thinking about it now, having these spec’d this way will make the PvE slightly less enjoyable because now my points are assigned sub optimally and to get the skills I actually want I will have to wait until lvl 80 when everything evens out.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

is there a way to reset skill points/hero points? for some reason my skill points werent reset on the changes they were just all channeled into the shout and defense line. Thinking about it now, having these spec’d this way will make the PvE slightly less enjoyable because now my points are assigned sub optimally and to get the skills I actually want I will have to wait until lvl 80 when everything evens out.

The system automatically spent hero points for you trying to recreate your build. If you’re level 80 then it spent them on the skill tracks for the skills you currently had active and on the three major trait lines you were using. If you were using more than three trait lines it tried to guess as best it could.

That’s why, before the thing, I funneled all my traits into three lines for every character.

Anyway, if you are level 80, even if you’ve never done a skill challenge (now hero challenge) you have enough points to buy every single core skill and core specialization (trait lines). There is no need to reset. Hero Points only have one purpose and this is that purpose. So just buy up the rest of the skills and traits, if you want them, and don’t worry about it.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

There’s no reset, you’d neet to level up, or do hero challenges to get more points to unlock other skills and traitlines.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Geegah.9205

Geegah.9205

The system automatically spent hero points for you trying to recreate your build. If you’re level 80 then it spent them on the skill tracks for the skills you currently had active and on the three major trait lines you were using. If you were using more than three trait lines it tried to guess as best it could.

That’s why, before the thing, I funneled all my traits into three lines for every character.

Anyway, if you are level 80, even if you’ve never done a skill challenge (now hero challenge) you have enough points to buy every single core skill and core specialization (trait lines). There is no need to reset. Hero Points only have one purpose and this is that purpose. So just buy up the rest of the skills and traits, if you want them, and don’t worry about it.

that kind of sucks because by putting almost all of my skill points into the defence tree and shout tree they’ve more or less resigned me to using that build for the rest of the PvE until I hit lvl 80 and transfer back out of it. I only have two characters, one lvl 55 and one lvl 27, the lvl 55 mesmer got boring so I thought i’d complete the game with my warrior but now I may just start over because I don’t feel like I have any control over this character anymore. I don’t want to have to play like I’m defensive. I wanted to go hammer and use stances and I don’t want to put in countless hours into getting a character I don’t even like anymore to lvl 80. I’m not the only one, someone I was playing with got all his damage skills rerouted to the healing tree. I don’t have a lot of time on my hands so just getting this dude to lvl 25 and getting 100% completion on 2 maps was a massive timesink for me. I don’t want to have to do that again just because they didn’t think it would be a good idea to give people free choice/give in some kind of reset mechanic on the offhand thought of ‘oh well it won’t matter if they get to lvl 80 anyway’. I don’t know how long it will get me to get to lvl 80. It’s a little bit complacent to do things this way imo.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

that kind of sucks because by putting almost all of my skill points into the defence tree and shout tree they’ve more or less resigned me to using that build for the rest of the PvE until I hit lvl 80 and transfer back out of it.

Not true. Remember, hero challenges (former skill challenges) give you points as well – and since level 80 alone is enough to unlock everything, every hero point challenge you do on maps is one point less you need to get through leveling.

If you continue to do maps, you should have everything unlocked before level 50. Also, remember that you don’t need to unlock everything to start changing traits. Do two more maps (not even full completion, just the hero challenge points), and you should have enough points to unlock Strength traitline.

So, tl/dr version: You don’t need to be level 80 to have a full unlock. You don’t need to have a full unlock to unlock a build you will like.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Also, this was only on the initial log in. From here on you can put your points wherever you want.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Roguefire.8174

Roguefire.8174

With the release of HoT, there will be options to spend the excess hero points earned from doing hero challenges in the world.
-CJ

I have tons of extra hero points… You mention that there will be options to spend them, but I can’t find a vendor that uses them. Where do I spend them?

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

-CJ

I have tons of extra hero points… You mention that there will be options to spend them, but I can’t find a vendor that uses them. Where do I spend them?

you “spend” them by unlocking your elite specialization. Press H for Hero Panel and unlock/spend your extra Hero Points there. Thats what Colin mean. There is NO vendor atm or something else beside to level your elite.

Roguefire.8174

I already did that and I still have over 200 hero points… He said “options”. You used to be able to spend skill points through a vendor, which was replaced by hero points. So there should be a vendor.

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

I think Colin was talking way ahead, because more specializations will be added in the future.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Roguefire.8174

-CJ

I’m 100% Trained and have 334 left over Hero Point… where can I spend them?

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

-CJ

I’m 100% Trained and have 334 left over Hero Point… where can I spend them?

Congrats! If you have purchased HoT, you should have the ability to spend those points on an elite specialization for that character. That will use up 250 of those points, the remainder of which you can look at and bask in the glory of your achievements.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Elite_specialization

G R E E N E R