Skills, Abilities and Character Progression

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

I don’t know about you guys but, the same skills and utilities are getting boring. Character progression systems with new gear that provides +1 this and +3 that is also boring. It was quite interesting to watch the character progression systems video for the elder scroll online released recently.

Any idea if GW2 will have some new weapon skills, utilities and traits?

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Yes, coming next year, some new skills, new traits, new weapons and old weapons for different classes. When exactly? Noone has an idea, not even ANet :P

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Yes, coming next year, some new skills, new traits, new weapons and old weapons for different classes. When exactly? Noone has an idea, not even ANet :P

As per Colin’s blog, they were going to start deploying these new skills in 2013. So far, we have a new healing skill(anti toxin) and it sounds like we may be getting more healing skills. Who cares about healing skills? They don’t drastically change gameplay. I havent switched out my healing skill on any character since Ive hit 80. We want more utilities, elites, and weapon skills.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

As per Colin’s blog, they were going to start deploying these new skills in 2013. So far, we have a new healing skill(anti toxin) and it sounds like we may be getting more healing skills. Who cares about healing skills? They don’t drastically change gameplay. I havent switched out my healing skill on any character since Ive hit 80. We want more utilities, elites, and weapon skills.

I do! For some classes anyway.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Per Jon Peters:

’The reason we went with heal skills first is that we actually believe this is the highest impact area for build diversity.

1) it is a small pool to begin with so adding to it increases choice by a large %
2) it sees a lot of use
3) it heals you which is pretty important

As time goes on we will also introduce traits, utilities, elites, and potentially other stuff.

Jon’

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

Hopefully new Elite skills will follow soon.

Three unique elites per class is far too few, especially when compared to how many options there were in GW1.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Per Jon Peters:

’The reason we went with heal skills first is that we actually believe this is the highest impact area for build diversity.

1) it is a small pool to begin with so adding to it increases choice by a large %
2) it sees a lot of use

As time goes on we will also introduce traits, utilities, elites, and potentially other stuff.

Jon’

i roll my eyes every time they mention the words “build diversity”.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

• Switching healing skills of my mesmer all the time. Normal Heal, Mantra, Reflection.
  • New Elites? PHA! They should fix the current one’s first! Look at the engineer for example: 1 Elite and 2 completly useless.
Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

Posted by: Ganathar.4956

Ganathar.4956

• Switching healing skills of my mesmer all the time. Normal Heal, Mantra, Reflection.
  • New Elites? PHA! They should fix the current one’s first! Look at the engineer for example: 1 Elite and 2 completly useless.

They should fix the existing elites but they should add new ones very soon because classes currently have only 3 elites each. Also, most of the classes can only use 1 elite underwater, which means that there is no choice for most players in what elite to use in underwater combat.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

They should fix the existing elites but they should add new ones very soon because classes currently have only 3 elites each. Also, most of the classes can only use 1 elite underwater, which means that there is no choice for most players in what elite to use in underwater combat.

Yea I’m still saving skill points so I can get my 30pt Tornado for my Ele. I’m level 50 and am almost there. Didn’t realize it’s the only underwater elite option I have and it’s freakin’ 30pts.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

I myself am fine with new healing skills……..but if it continues this trend of same skill for all classes…………..well my guardian may never get a replacement for the GW1 ray of judgement she so desires.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

compared to how many options there were in GW1.

Lots of useless elites, we already have that in GW2 with the racial skills.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

Three unique elites per class is far too few, especially when compared to how many options there were in GW1.

To be fair, GW1’s larger skill pool led to a lot more useless and redundant skills.

People seem to forget that whenever they compare GW1 and GW2 however.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I was actually very optimistic for a few weeks after Colin mentioned skill/ability progression as this is a primary form of horizontal progression. Since he announced this as a future direction we’ve seen ascended weapons and now ascended armor, but not a single differentiating skill (no friends, the heal that everyone got was not skill progression). I’m no longer optimistic.

Posted by: Flytrap.8075

Flytrap.8075

To be fair, GW1’s larger skill pool led to a lot more useless and redundant skills.

People seem to forget that whenever they compare GW1 and GW2 however.

No, I did not forget.

The redundancies in skill choice were largely due to Factions and Nightfall. The fact still remains that the original Guild Wars offered a much larger diversity of skill options, especially when it came to Elite skills.

Fort Aspenwood | [Bags]

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

You can’t really compare GW1 elites with GW2 elites. In GW2 an elite is typically the backbone of a build, the centerpiece. In GW2 that role is generally filled by grandmaster traits. Elites do not serve the same purpose anymore. I am not sure if there is any room left for them.

Yea I’m still saving skill points so I can get my 30pt Tornado for my Ele. I’m level 50 and am almost there. Didn’t realize it’s the only underwater elite option I have and it’s freakin’ 30pts.

It used to be 0 underwater elite for several classes.
Whirlpool is also not a very good skill. Tornado might have some uses in WvW but outside of those situations it is rarely useful.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

While I won’t scoff at new healing skills I’d say that it’s #2 or 3 on my list of “new skills” I’d like to see. Not to mention the problem with any new skills being introduced: they need to be balanced (with respect to other <skill type> options for that class and in general) and they need to bring something new/unique to the table for that class.

I really want choose-able weapon (2-5) skills. I think that most of all would make combat feel “fresh” (for those that say it’s getting stale) and add lots more build diversity than a new heal/utility/elite skill. I’d love to be able to choose between a mid dam AoE or a high dam single target skill, or to make a weapon focus a bit more on either conditions or direct damage.

I mean when you think about it, besides the AA, people mostly just use the 2-5 skills for damage (a very simplified/general statement I know). Utilities either give passive abilities, situational abilities, or strong skills on longer cool downs. Any new (and balanced) utility will get marginal use at best. It will either be so strong that it replaces a current skill in most builds, gets only situational use in a specific dungeon/fractal/fight, get use by players who want to try something new (by far the best option), or be useless and not used.

Don’t get me wrong, we need more healing options and more elites. But I don’t think any class is “hurting” for a new healing skill (at least of the 4 classes I’ve leveled up).

In gw1 builds were mostly chosen around the elite you wanted to use. In gw2, they’re mostly about what weapon you pick (which usually strongly influences your traits). While I am content with what we have, I would like more variety. A new healing skill is a start, but I was hoping for more (and something I may actually use).

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

options, especially when it came to Elite skills.

Not really in the mood to look through all GW1 elites again but out of the ~35 elites for each profession pretty much 80% of those elites were useless.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Ping.5739

Ping.5739

Per Jon Peters:

2) it sees a lot of use

Jon’

i roll my eyes every time they mention the words “build diversity”.

I roll my eyes every time I see “Jon Peters”… The shadow of that ranger post… Like my guardian is really going to use the new healing instead of the op 3 seconds block healing…

I agree with op that more skills, or at least more visual effect on using skills, should be added.

This useless bar doesn’t make you awesome. However, stuff above does.