Skills & Traits Refund.

Skills & Traits Refund.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aidan Eighthrain.8612

Aidan Eighthrain.8612

Hello Anet,

Spent a kitten amount of gold/skill points in Traits and Skills over my 8 characters. What will happen to them when the new awesome reward track releases?

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Hehehehe, talk about things I saw coming a mile away, or was that a year away?

And yes, I am with OP here. I think such a question deserves some kind of answer.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Absolutely with OP here too. 26 toons; all mostly WvW orientated with a booty-load of gold & skill points invested in to unlock the traits etc.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

They’ll be converted to mystic forge crafting mats if I interpreted the articles and blog posts correctly.

Skills & Traits Refund.

PookieDaWombat.6209

They’ll be converted to mystic forge crafting mats if I interpreted the articles and blog posts correctly.

No, i think you’re missing the point here.

The question is what is Anet going to do about the hundreds of gold and skill points people already grinded and spent just to have a viable build under this current system.

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Subutex.2416

Subutex.2416

Remember the people who had two legendaries of the same type when wardrobe came out?

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Probably nothing.

Games (especially MMOs) change all the time. If they were to refund stuff every single time they changed something they would have to hire a whole office just to handle refunds.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Sparks The Rescue.5043

Sparks The Rescue.5043

Remember the people who had two legendaries of the same type when wardrobe came out?

/thread

Skills & Traits Refund.

Aidan Eighthrain.8612

If a refund is not an option how about leaving unlocked skills & traits that already are? I’m simply looking for feedback on the mater before HoT release.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Subutex.2416

Subutex.2416

From what I understood and what I hope is that one will have enough points to unlock those things.
The reason I brought up the legendary example was because they didn’t get anything (because they didn’t lose anything), so that seems to be the way ANet deals with these issues. If people complain enough, they might get a title lol

Skills & Traits Refund.

Aidan Eighthrain.8612

Then I will have to spend my Skill Points consumables and gold on traits before HoT release because I have no use of Mystic forge materials.

Need confirmation on this.

(edited by Aidan Eighthrain.8612)

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Odds are, we won’t get a refund. And I don’t think refunds are necessary.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i never use the MF, i see no need for it so….love to see actual gold out of it.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Excludee.3850

Excludee.3850

I highly doubt anet will inject gold into the economy just to refund gold spent on traits. There’s no way that’s gonna happen…

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

Making players have to earn or buy things again once they’ve already done so is a quick route to “Why bother?”, /uninstall.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Nothing. Just gotta move on, unless they somehow have a system already built that tracks what skills you bought and earned and is able to autorefund them. Which sounds unlikely.

Skillpoints you already have will be converted into somekinda crafting material. Hope it’s useful cuz I have around 2k SP.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Skills & Traits Refund.

PookieDaWombat.6209

Scenario:

Bob players WvW pretty exclusively. He also likes making alts. He made 2 alts under the new Trait system from April of last year and somehow got the gold and skill points (possibly through some PvP as well) to level those 2 toons to 80 and get one of them all of the traits and about 90% of the traits on the other one from trainers.

He has done zero map complete and maybe got 3 skill points from running around in WvW.

When the new system hits, since he only got 3 SP challenges done and up to level 80 from both running around and maybe a few tomes, will this mean that he will also only have enough hero points for someone who has done just that (even though he HAD all/most of the traits unlocked)? Furthermore, if that is the case, what about all of that gold he essentially wasted to play toons that he can now, not actually play anymore since his builds are non-existent?

Still no compensation or with Anet make sure to grandfather in anyone who had all the traits unlocked?

What about those toons made at the beginning of the game, but whom the player decided they didn’t want to world complete for the 3rd or 4th time on them and just got them maxed out without getting all the skill challenges in the world? Are they also getting their builds nerfed?

Soraya Mayhew – Thief

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Kumion.7580

Kumion.7580

From the fourth paragraph on: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/specializations-part-two-reward-tracks-and-elite-specializations/

“Old skill points in excess of those earned by leveling and skill challenges will be converted into crafting materials for the Mystic Forge. Items and activities that were previously repeatable sources of skill points will now also provide that same crafting material.”

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

and what if i never use the MF, doesn’t that mean they are giving me something completely useless in return for something even less?

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Akusokuzan.6790

Akusokuzan.6790

From the fourth paragraph on: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/specializations-part-two-reward-tracks-and-elite-specializations/

“Old skill points in excess of those earned by leveling and skill challenges will be converted into crafting materials for the Mystic Forge. Items and activities that were previously repeatable sources of skill points will now also provide that same crafting material.”

“Hey guys, now all your old useless skill points will be mats for the mystic toilet! What? You don’t want these fancy new skins? You want mats for some new equipment now that stats have been removed from traits? PFFFT, that’s a dumb idea.”

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

That unfortunately doesn’t tell us enough. Atm we can gain over 1g per skill point. If the new mats or whatever they are planning to convert them to are tradable and end up less than 1g each, well it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that it’s not good for those with excess.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Zania.8461

Zania.8461

Eh, with regards to the skill points. If you don’t use MF, they will be just sitting on your character anyway. What’s the point of having 400 skill points on a char that you can’t use on anything since you already have all the skills? Fairly certain only skill point dump right now are the MF materials. In the current game skill points are way too abundant, so I don’t care what ANet does with them.

With regards to traits, I certainly feel you, OP. The change they are making IS good, but it really makes people who made their characters between the trait revamp and HoT pay a lot more (in either time or gold) for their traits. But I highly doubt that anything will be done with regards to it other than a ‘tough luck’ statement.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Aidan Eighthrain.8612

Going off-topic here. Topic reminder :

Hello Anet,

Spent a kitten amount of gold/skill points in Traits and Skills over my 8 characters. What will happen to them when the new awesome reward track releases?

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

In my opinion unless you wasted a lot of gold like a week before HoT came out because you didn’t know what your doing, they’re under NO OBLIGATION whatsoever to give refunds.

So people asking at this point… heck no, you shouldn’t be retroactively getting currency back for all the currency you used. It’s how the game plays. You spend it, you spend it.

It should only be in the case of someone that screws up and spends at a really bad time like right before the changes hit.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Have 12 characters 6 of them leveled post trait change and almost all have all the traits unlocked, dont think refunds are needed.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

and what if i never use the MF, doesn’t that mean they are giving me something completely useless in return for something even less?

There’s no reason to avoid the MF. It’s not even hard to use. Not everything out of it is RNG and from what I seen they didn’t mention how the new mats would be used yet.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Aidan Eighthrain.8612

In my opinion unless you wasted a lot of gold like a week before HoT came out because you didn’t know what your doing, they’re under NO OBLIGATION whatsoever to give refunds.

So people asking at this point… heck no, you shouldn’t be retroactively getting currency back for all the currency you used. It’s how the game plays. You spend it, you spend it.

It should only be in the case of someone that screws up and spends at a really bad time like right before the changes hit.

What is spent is spent, what is mine shall remain mine.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: REVOLVET.4807

REVOLVET.4807

Whether you spent golds for traits or not, you already gain benefit from those traits. Refunding doesn’t make sense.

In case of Scrolls of Knowledge and extra skill points, there should be an option to exchange the scrolls and the points for other types of token, e.g. Laurel. It’s also possible that the skill point will become a new type of currency for purchasing stuff from Miyani (Mystic Forge NPC).

Skills & Traits Refund.

Aidan Eighthrain.8612

Whether you spent golds for traits or not, you already gain benefit from those traits.

And I intend to keep them.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: REVOLVET.4807

REVOLVET.4807

Whether you spent golds for traits or not, you already gain benefit from those traits.

And I intend to keep them.

1. You can acquire all traits for free.
2. You paid for convenience.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Aidan Eighthrain.8612

1. Wrong : Time is money.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Maya Kirilian.9051

Maya Kirilian.9051

Hello all,

I would really like to have more informations about this.
So we are talking about all the unspent skill points, right.
To say the truth RNG wasn’t really my friend during the hours played in game but I didn’t really mind because I currently have 500 slot skills points on my main and 200-300 on several alts totaling over a thousand on my main account.

I see they can be used to buy several things from Myani including materials to build legendary and ascended weapons or promotion material.

Anyway I was happy having them stack up like this because they don’t really use up any inventory space also I don’t have to calculate how many of each I need to craft this or that weapon, which I might need if I do get a prec in the future.

I would really like you to tell us what would be our best options here.
So please give us more info on the refund process because those skill points represent much fun (can’t say work) and although I am happy for a change in the skill system I really would like to not loose what I consider my most important wealth in game. So please explain as much as possible about the transition so we can make an educated decision.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Aidan Eighthrain.8612

mmh, more into Traits refunds/conservation here.

This is most likely the dolyak you are looking for :

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Scroll-of-Knowledge-Excess-Skill-Points/

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

While I’ve only made 2 new characters that required new Trait Unlocks, I have spent a bit of gold and SP on them (and even some XIII skills for my older characters.

I get that there were options to NOT buy the Traits (and that’s a valid answer from Anet in my book), but it would be nice for some sort of compensation (and I’m not one to jump on every gimme! gimme! bandwagon, either).

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Then I will have to spend my Skill Points consumables and gold on traits before HoT release because I have no use of Mystic forge materials.

Need confirmation on this.

What consumables are best do you think? Bloodstone Shards (for the gift) and Crystals (for clovers)?

Depending on how they change things, it might be better to stock up on stuff you can choose, rather than some crappy RNG option after the patch.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

There’s no reason to avoid the MF. It’s not even hard to use. Not everything out of it is RNG and from what I seen they didn’t mention how the new mats would be used yet.

There’s also no reason to lump us with a huge pile of mats I might never have a use for, and force us to. Not everyone plays the game the same. What do those people that barely or never use the MF get? Nothing it seems.

Their should be some other way to utilize these points that doesn’t involve being restricted to one spending option.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

You already used what you paid for.

It’s like asking for a refund of all your old medical bills from when your country had a 3rd country private healthcare after your country gets a proper free health-care system like every other civilized society.

The systems in place considered you’ll pay for that in the old system, the new systems in place will consider how the system is after the change.

Hell, I have way over 20 characters, all fully geared in with all traits unlocked, and I would not expect a single refund.

That’ll be golda-golda coin y’all.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

I’m quite sorry. You don’t own this game. More like renting virtual space.

Remember the first trait revamp? I sure do. No refunds, so I expect the same here. Also given this announcement, what’s to keep a player from spending more gold and points knowing things are going to change in a few months?

Nothing really.

Devona’s Rest

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Clownmug.8357

Clownmug.8357

I don’t think they’d reimburse anyone with gold. If they care enough they might give something like “Keg of Heroism” so that we can get a head start on the elite specializations at the very least.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: felessan.9587

felessan.9587

Unfortunately I don’t think they’ve been tracking our purchases closely enough to know who bought what. It’d be impossible to refund costs at this point.

No one deserves to lose stuff they already have though. Make a point to post that question here. Hopefully they’ll address it tomorrow.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Undesirable Traits

When the new trait regime launched a year ago, I was convinced it wouldn’t last and, aside from buying a few grandmaster traits for my existing level 80s, refused to buy into that system and went from playing the game on an almost daily basis to not playing it for months at a time, and not leveling alts.

Not compensating players for gold and skill points invested into the current trait regime when Specializations launch would confirm the wisdom of that decision, and the wisdom of effectively avoiding GW2 for most of a year while they sorted things out.

I doubt that’s the message ArenaNet would want to send, but that’s the message they would be sending.

Since I didn’t invest heavily in the current trait regime, I don’t have a strong personal interest in how it is handled. I just want it to end as soon as possible and find its rightful place on the ash heap of history.

I do, however, think it would be in the best interests of the game to put this horrible fiasco to bed as graciously as possible, and that would include compensating players for their trait system losses when Heart of Thorns finally puts this godawful system that has infected this game for over a year out of its misery.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Skills & Traits Refund.

Aidan Eighthrain.8612

@MashMash : I personnaly still have to upgrade some T5 materials for Sunrise, but I’ll won’t make any use of my consommables before more details and an official release date is annouced for HoT.

@MithranArkanere : The health care comparison seems biased to me. IMO It’s more like I bought a tool towards an end who wasn’t advertised as breakable someday. Plus you look increadibly (w)healthy, if i may say so.

@blakdoxa : agreed as specified in the TOU, but It’s neither Anet nor any player have anything to gain at moving backward. And as someone else mentionned, unlocked traits were kept that last time, that’s also a solution that I’m totally wishing for right now.

@felessan : if the game keeps track of what is unlocked I think it might be deducible, although not very practicaly I must admit.

@Majic : I should have called this topic “Unlocked Traits Conservation” or something, freaked out a bit maybe?

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: pariah.5093

pariah.5093

No, i think you’re missing the point here.

The question is what is Anet going to do about the hundreds of gold and skill points people already grinded and spent just to have a viable build under this current system.

They will get the same refund that the people who bought the infinite continue coin received! Absolutely nothing! GG Anet!

Skills & Traits Refund.

Aidan Eighthrain.8612

Aaand, it wasn’t answered during the AMA.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Your money disappears. Your skill points will be returned based on previously explained numeric. The reason they didn’t mention it on the AMA is because there is nothing to mention. You’re not being refunded the way you seem to think you ought to be.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Skills & Traits Refund.

Aidan Eighthrain.8612

I hope not, unlocking the same thing over and over again is not exactly the idea I have of having fun.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

[…]
@MithranArkanere : The health care comparison seems biased to me. IMO It’s more like I bought a tool towards an end who wasn’t advertised as breakable someday. Plus you look increadibly (w)healthy, if i may say so.[…]

ANet is saying all the time that “nothing is off the table” and to “always expect future changes”.

So by now everyone should be away that nothing in the game may be eternal and set on stone. Anything may be improved with major changes that may make getting what you already got easier or at least more reasonable or comfortable.

It’s like when they changed the Survivor and Drunkar titles in GW1. Getting them before was annoying as hell, but when they improved them, some people still complaining about losing the ‘prestige’ of getting them the old way… I still wonder that’s the prestige in leaving a character AFK for hours while it gets killed to level up enemies.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Skills & Traits Refund.

Aidan Eighthrain.8612

Then again, I hope they’ll change it. Because I have trouble seeing how having to re-unlock traits is an improvment…

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

Then again, I hope they’ll change it. Because I have trouble seeing how having to re-unlock traits is an improvment…

Because the epiphany is that adding new content can be redefined as recycling former content. Ecologically a sound move.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Aidan Eighthrain.8612

Don’t think Anet needs that.