Skills & Traits Refund.

Skills & Traits Refund.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

1. Wrong : Time is money.

WRONG. time is time, money is money, there maybe a correlation between the 2, but money is NOT time, and time is NOT money

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

WRONG. time is time, money is money, there maybe a correlation between the 2, but money is NOT time, and time is NOT money

With enough money, could I buy some time?

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

With the young lady on the corner? yes ofcourse

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: GreyWraith.8394

GreyWraith.8394

Scenario:

Bob players WvW pretty exclusively. He also likes making alts. He made 2 alts under the new Trait system from April of last year and somehow got the gold and skill points (possibly through some PvP as well) to level those 2 toons to 80 and get one of them all of the traits and about 90% of the traits on the other one from trainers.

He has done zero map complete and maybe got 3 skill points from running around in WvW.

When the new system hits, since he only got 3 SP challenges done and up to level 80 from both running around and maybe a few tomes, will this mean that he will also only have enough hero points for someone who has done just that (even though he HAD all/most of the traits unlocked)? Furthermore, if that is the case, what about all of that gold he essentially wasted to play toons that he can now, not actually play anymore since his builds are non-existent?

Still no compensation or with Anet make sure to grandfather in anyone who had all the traits unlocked?

What about those toons made at the beginning of the game, but whom the player decided they didn’t want to world complete for the 3rd or 4th time on them and just got them maxed out without getting all the skill challenges in the world? Are they also getting their builds nerfed?

This is my concern. All 8 of my characters were created shortly after launch (pre-NPE) but about half were leveled almost exclusively in WvW (or EoTM more recently, a couple languished at low levels for years). Their skills were unlocked by additional levels of XP beyond 80 and skill point scrolls.

Due to a lack of PvE/world exploration on those characters, when the new system comes out they will not have enough ‘hero points’ to unlock all of the 5 trait lines + all skills which I have unlocked right now.

Anet needs to provide some extra hero points for grandfathered characters so that players who have earned their unlocks through non-PvE methods aren’t screwed. Make the boost proportional to the % of traits & skills unlocked at expansion release.

End of the Dream by Evanescence
unofficial theme song of the Nightmare Court

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Aidan Eighthrain.8612

Aidan Eighthrain.8612

True, and given that we both made our point I hope you’ll allow me to skip on the serious-looking part where we talk about the application of BEP & ROI to time on a game forum :p. Even if it’s 100% relevant.

Is it me or the two following posts sounds like they come right out of a movie or something?

@GreyWraith : I agree. Another, fair and simple way to do that could be to simply reward Hero Points for each unlocked Trait, which the game actually tracks.

(edited by Aidan Eighthrain.8612)

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

True, and given that we both made our point I hope you’ll allow me to skip on the serious-looking part where we talk about the application of BEP & ROI to time on a game forum :p. Even if it’s 100% relevant.

Is it me or the two following posts sounds like they come right out of a movie or something?

@GreyWraith : I agree. Another, fair and simple way to do that could be to simply reward Hero Points for each unlocked Trait, which the game actually tracks.

They may be keeping quiet on this matter to prevent players from buying all of the traits they haven’t already unlocked as a means to get any compensation, if any. Because people would abuse it.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

Hold out your hope all you want, but anet will not compensate any one. When wardrobes came out, we had to craft again for the skins, when map exploration was changed there was nothing for those who had done wvw. They do not track who buys with gold vs who unlocks by trait. It’s obvious they don’t have space to waste on stuff like that until its deemed needed (and it isn’t.) There will be no compensation for playing the game and them changing it. No body in their right mind would do this, so for once it’s not a ding on anet, but a laugh at the overly entitled group of people that play this game.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Aro.8275

Aro.8275

With enough money, could I buy some time?

Do you do your own taxes or hire someone? Do you always cook for yourself or get something to go or at a restaurant? Do you clean your house or is getting a maid service temping? Yes, money can buy time.

My 7 main chars were created before the trait change so they had everything but the new ones. Making new chars taught me this was a good thing, hopefully they get grandfathered in to having everything with the new system as well. At the very least getting the few extra challenge things won’t be difficult to get back to the same point, more annoying to waste time doing so however. Even with no refund, doing them now and using the points to forge stuff could be worth it.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Well if spending gold on traits and skills in a problem in games current format then don’t use any skills/traits in games current format knowing you will get them free once update comes.

In the mean time make a new thread crying how people who spent gold on these skills and traits wreck you.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I’m guessing we’re not going to get refunds since it would flood the market with gold and Anet is rabid about new money not entering the economy.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m guessing we’re not going to get refunds since it would flood the market with gold and Anet is rabid about new money not entering the economy.

They had a great compromise with duplicate dyes. Regular dyes: people got an unidentified dye. Limited edition dyes: people got that color, presumably to sell.

There isn’t an obvious way to do a refund that way for trait points (since the unlocks aren’t tradeable), but perhaps ANet could offer something else of value other than coin.

• Heavy Crafting Bags
  • Ascended Mats (other than empyreal, dragonite, or bloodstone).
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Aidan Eighthrain.8612

Aidan Eighthrain.8612

Up, still would like an official answer on refund/conservation.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

And they won’t give you one.

They won’t tell you no because you may get mad and not buy HoT.

They won’t tell you yes because then they then have to guard against players reading forums and seeing that X will given out to players who unlocked traits.

Unless they decide to give anyone who unlocked Y or more traits a title called Trait Collector.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

It all comes down to one thing: Does Arenanet really want to communicate to their players that they may, at any time, undo character progress?

I don’t think they want players second guessing whether they want to spend time on their characters because at any point the developers might find some shiny new system they want to work into the game. Instilling that kind of doubt is not good for the game’s longevity.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

They won’t tell you yes because then they then have to guard against players reading forums and seeing that X will given out to players who unlocked traits.

Yes, this is pretty clear.

Historically, it appears they count on the forum readers to be a small part of the population, and hope that the majority of the players who might be upset by a change will shrug it off because they don’t find out about it until it’s in game and the train moving forward.

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Unless they decide to give anyone who unlocked Y or more traits a title called Trait Collector.

Naw, they haven’t told us yet because they haven’t worked out the details. People who care deeply about this will wait to find out, before they buy, so ‘hiding’ the answer won’t help ANet much (while it does harm their reputation a little).

Since they haven’t announced a date for advanced sales, it’s not really an urgent question. I mean, sure, I want to know the answer today, but I don’t need to know it until I have an opportunity to but the game.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Skills & Traits Refund.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

While all of the MF materials can be turned into gold, I wonder what the sudden glut of every player getting tons of these is going to be on the items that can be forged with them?

I’m guessing the following:

1. Promoted Siege Weapons are going to plummet in price on the TP as these are the easiest way to make back gold / skill point currently.
  2. I can’t see that general material promotions would cause huge supply increases, but there should be a general downward trend on all crafting material prices (assuming promotion increases due to the forced MF material increases).
  3. Prices on Forged named weapons may see some movement, but the actual MF materials are the least expensive materials to forge these, so maybe not.

Likely to be many other things I just don’t see coming.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances