Skills not bassed by weapons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

Have you ever thought in trying to fix/implement/change/etc the way your skills are selected, just almost like elite and the other skills, which no matter what weapon you have you can use them

You could give a set of skills used by numer 1-5 (ofc the goods will be the only ones used i bet) however so insteand of having the skils bassed in the weapon you have, the weapon wont have relevance in that and will act as a cosmetic cast

In that way you could actually select the weapon type you like, the skin of that weapon you like, the cast animation you like and still have the skills you want, so all weapons will become relevant to that character/class insteand of adding new skills or new weapons to existing classes which wont be used at all

edit examples:

two handed skills
if currently your class can use three two handed skills, then it will have three bars, you pick the bar you want and the weapon you use wont matter, so it will become cosmetic casting and skin

I took an arrow to the knee

(edited by JemL.3501)

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

You mean be A WoW clone?

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

This wouldn’t make any weapons relevant to classes, in fact it would make them all irrelevant. People would just pick a skin they like best.

Weapon skills are tied to weapons for balance. It keeps you from choosing the strongest 5 of your combined weapon skills and never taking anything else.

Posted by: Alex Shatter.7956

Alex Shatter.7956

im surprised im the first one to comment saying that this is exactly how the system in Gw1 worked

Posted by: Djahlat.9610

Djahlat.9610

im surprised im the first one to comment saying that this is exactly how the system in Gw1 worked

You’re right and wrong. In GW1, you could slot any skill you want, but you couldn’t use a bow attack unless you had a bow equipped. Same goes for Sword, Axe, Spear, Daggers, Scythe, and Hammer skills.
I don’t see my Warrior casually shooting arrows with a greatsword

JemL.3501

This wouldn’t make any weapons relevant to classes, in fact it would make them all irrelevant. People would just pick a skin they like best.

Weapon skills are tied to weapons for balance. It keeps you from choosing the strongest 5 of your combined weapon skills and never taking anything else.

ofc they pick the weapon because they have the skills they want…and that is the point of all this, you get the skills you want with the skin you want, we have weapons and skills which are never used because are not even good or worthless, example would be nobody in the whole universe use shield as warrior

You mean be A WoW clone?

No

I don’t see my Warrior casually shooting arrows with a greatsword

It can with cosmetic skill casting, like arros flying from the GS with the shape of a little GS

it can look weird indeed, like using a bow for cast GS skills, but again with cosmetic cast everything can happen, this will stop them to adding skills and new weapons to classes, because if this continue in the end every single class will be able to use every single weapon BUT with the big difference a lot of weapons and a lot of skills wont be used by anyone

(edited by JemL.3501)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

ofc they pick the weapon because they have the skills they want…and that is the point of all this, you get the skills you want with the skin you want, we have weapons and skills which are never used because are not even good or worthless, example would be nobody in the whole universe use shield as warrior

You mean be A WoW clone?

No

Shield is actually used by players for some builds.

The point that they were making would be that players would pick the individual skills that they want. It would create balance issues.

JemL.3501

The point that they were making would be that players would pick the individual skills that they want. It would create balance issues.

No, nobody use shield as warrior if there is a build good but nobody does

And that point i didn clarify, i had to edit first post, you select the bar, then the weapon for the cosmetic skin and cosmetic cast, you will still need the two hand weapon for two hand skills, or off weapon for off hand skills

will be new, not a wow clone or lineage2 clone or blade and soul clone or black desert clone or archeage clone (yes there is more games other than wow)

Ayrilana.1396

And that point i didn clarify, i had to edit first post, you select the bar, then the weapon for the cosmetic skin and cosmetic cast, you will still need the two hand weapon for two hand skills, or off weapon for off hand skills

will be new, not a wow clone or lineage2 clone or blade and soul clone or black desert clone or archeage clone (yes there is more games other than wow)

You’re right. Nobody… oh wait.

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Berserker_-_Ragezerker

Wait so I can use bow skills with my Greatsword? That would sure make a lot of sense.

BlaqueFyre.5678

Bahaha Warriors don’t use shield, Condi War begs to differ in pvp…

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

That would be a balance nightmare. Skills would be nerfed to the ground because in combination with other skills (ie, someone equipping 4 daze skills) they’d be OP

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

I think what OP actually means is that we would equip 2 weapon sets:
- One, that is invisible and determins our skills and stats, like our current weapons do
- One, that is visible and determines what our weapons look like
The shown set could be something completely different from the actually equipped set. We could show a shield and mace, while in reality wielding a 2h sword.

If I understood this correctly, then let me add: I’m against this.
The skills in GW2 are designed to add a certain feeling to the weapon they’re assigned to. Hammer skills are designed to feel slow and heavy, dagger skills are designed to feel quick and agile. There are a lot of weapon skins in this game, yes. However you can always tell what weapon someone is wielding and what to expect from their build. In PvE this expectation adds flavour to the class. The armor weight in combination with the weapon set tells us almost everything we need to know about a character. Isolating the skin cathegory from it’s mechanics removes a big characteristic trait from the game.

In the competitive gamemodes WvW and PvP these characteristic traits are not only flavor, they can decide over victory or defeat. Knowing the skillset your opponent is limited to can give you the advantage you need to win an even fight.

I’m still grumpy about the fact, that you can wear outfits in combat. At least the amount of outfits running around is vastly outnumbered by the amount of real identifyable characters. Taking away the weapon’s identity would be another push away from optical clues towards an increasingly ui-focused game.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

I think the OP is saying, you pick a set of skills, you pick the whole bar, not individual skills, and pick the weapon you want to use that set of skills with. So, eg, Greatsword could use Longbow set of skills, or Hammer set of skills, etc. It’s just cosmetic, though there would have to be lots of new animations added I would think.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

What’s the problem you’re trying to fix?

Personally, I don’t think it makes any sense to choose a weapon independent of weapons skills. I mean, this does have practical implications for competitive parts of the game to … I see a guy with a sword standing at range … and he’s pummeling me with ranged attacks … WTH?

JemL.3501

No warrior in the whole universe use shield, that is a fact, go and play pvp, wvw even in pve, no warrior use shield, stop trolling around

You will still have/use the same skills but different weapon in your hands that is all, weapon will be cosmetic cast and/or skin in your hands and that is all, but perhaps yes so many animations and modifications would need to be added

And i think people want to troll…warriors using shield….i bet if i ask a screenshot from your warrior you will have a GS as main weapon or hammer and a rifle or longbow just in case range…ill lleave it there as suggestion

bye

Personally, I don’t think it makes any sense to choose a weapon independent of weapons skills. I mean, this does have practical implications for competitive parts of the game to … I see a guy with a sword standing at range … and he’s pummeling me with ranged attacks … WTH?

Mesmers use a GS and are in range…bye

I think the OP is saying, you pick a set of skills, you pick the whole bar, not individual skills, and pick the weapon you want to use that set of skills with. So, eg, Greatsword could use Longbow set of skills, or Hammer set of skills, etc. It’s just cosmetic, though there would have to be lots of new animations added I would think.

Yes, and yeah maybe a lot new animations for fix and make sense would need to be added

(edited by JemL.3501)

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Roamers use shield… my war still use GS + sword or axe + shield … I never change it unless I don’t want to waste time and need more mobility, where I toss my warhorn in just temp in place of shield.

wtf you talking about no warrior use a shield. It’s a standard build for any roamer and has been for years. Like saying no guard use a staff.

Ayrilana.1396

No warrior in the whole universe use shield, that is a fact, go and play pvp, wvw even in pve, no warrior use shield, stop trolling around

You will still have/use the same skills but different weapon in your hands that is all, weapon will be cosmetic cast and/or skin in your hands and that is all, but perhaps yes so many animations and modifications would need to be added

And i think people want to troll…warriors using shield….i bet if i ask a screenshot from your warrior you will have a GS as main weapon or hammer and a rifle or longbow just in case range…ill lleave it there as suggestion

bye

Yes, and yeah maybe a lot new animations for fix and make sense would need to be added

Just because you don’t use shield does not mean that others don’t. The build I linked uses it and you can be sure that there are warriors that use that build. It’s funny that you are accusing us of trolling when we have shown you to be wrong.

Also, Mesmer GS is not a melee weapon. Everyone knows that a GS on a Mesmer is ranged. You would see the implications in PvP with a melee weapon acting like a ranged weapon if you read some of our posts a second time.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Dang it! Now I gotta quit using shield on one of my warriors! Why did I read this dang thread?

BlaqueFyre.5678

bye

Meta War build uses shield Troll found move along

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

bye

You made this thread in discussions, and yet you are completely dismissive of opposing opinions. Might I suggest adjusting your expectations?

Not that this was the point of the thread, but plenty of people use shields. My warrior uses axe/torch and longbow, but shield is plenty viable in many game modes. Not sure why that’s such an issue to you.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

That doesn’t change what I said … you know what a GS Mesmers attacks are and skilled PVPer’s use that as information to know how to fight one.

Under your scheme, I can literally be attacked by any class with any weapon skin and any weapon skill. This removes the part of the skill in PVPing. That’s a huge flaw in your proposal that you aren’t addressing. Based on your terse, dismissive reply to my concern, you won’t be either, which is why your idea won’t be taken seriously by anyone.

You still haven’t answered my question: What problem are you trying to fix? oh and of course … bye

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I use a shield in all pve on my warrior. And I use it with a mace. I don’t really care if it’s lower dps, I have a great deal more fun with my set up than I do with any other warrior weapon set up by a long way.

I also see a lot of shields warriors in pvp

Back to your idea though, it is interesting, but the work involved to recode a core and fundamental feature would be phenomenal. It may not sound like it, but GW2’s code is intricate and changes to the fundamentals are often non-trivial. It’s also not broken, so they have no need to fix it. They would still have large balance issues regardless, moreso to prevent players just picking the same skills.

Attachments:

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

I know things aren’t going to change but I kind of wish they weapon skills had been token based where you have token with skills for specific weapons and you can slot them in your weapon to configure them. Don’t like the engineer pistol glue shot, replace it with another skill for something else; maybe trick shot or long shot.

My biggest annoyance is weapon skills that require the player to manually target the enemy. It slows things down in a fight. I can understand some are needed but it’s over used on some professions like elementialist. I like that profession but don’t play it much because of having to manually target things like Dragon’s Tooth which is already slow enough of a skill as it is.

Posted by: Dano.5623

Dano.5623

Usually suggestions to change the game are attempting to fix a problem. I don’t see a problem here.