Skimpy armor for male characters

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hyrai.8720

Hyrai.8720

imo female armors may be “over sexualized” but that’s still a huuuge difference to sexist/sexism in general
maybe swap those terms in this thread?

back to topic:
at least for aesthetics, if not for the sake of equalism, male characters should have the option to show off their packs. especially those in heavy armor. on the one side, as the description states, those armors should look heavy, but on the other side, so should the character wearing them! those who wear heavy armor are very muscular, and should be able to show off those muscles!

(edited by Hyrai.8720)

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

imo female armors may be “over sexualized” but that’s still a huuuge difference to sexist/sexism in general
maybe swap those terms in this thread?

Well that is the key point to what makes them sexist, the male armors are not equally sexualized, so, the request here is to add in sexy/sexualized male armors, perhaps, with matching modest styles for the ladies.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Posted by: Caeledh.5437

Caeledh.5437

Apart from the sex factor, I wouldn’t mind more ‘skimpy’ clothing options for my Sylvari cos they look really cool naked. Especially at night.

It’s one of the reasons I love the cook outfit. Hide the helmet and gloves and you get an outfit that isn’t exactly skimpy but there’s a lot of more skin / wood showing.

http://i.imgur.com/2RbvXXG.jpg

Posted by: DarknessKitty.4801

DarknessKitty.4801

So the OP asks politely for equally skimpy armor for male characters, and some guys start talking about how the op is exagerating with the sexism/sexualization of female armor, while others talk about how wrongly women dress in real life and how that should affect how we want to dress our characters in a game.
And those very same people think that asking for simple things is easier for us because we are women. Really xD

OnTopic: My friend (a boy) sent me this because I,ve been complaining for ages (literally 5 years) because my male characters cant show their chest or underwear like females do. So I support this, make boys sexy, make them some chaps, or open (very open) jackets, short trousers, kilts that open when they run, more uninhibited stuff…

(edited by DarknessKitty.4801)

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

I don’t care all that much about that whole sexualization thing. What bothers me is that I can’t get my 100% hatred fueled, psycho berserker barbarian type to actually look like one.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Anoia.7342

Anoia.7342

I don’t care all that much about that whole sexualization thing. What bothers me is that I can’t get my 100% hatred fueled, psycho berserker barbarian type to actually look like one.

This tbh. Both female and male characters need some more regal AND revealing armors.

Basically there should be more Norn armor in the game. I love my female norn tier 3 heavy armor but like.. wearin’ that for 5 years gets old guys. And my norn mesmer needs to be able to show off more of his tats, ty.

Posted by: stormygabe.6742

stormygabe.6742

Apart from the sex factor, I wouldn’t mind more ‘skimpy’ clothing options for my Sylvari cos they look really cool naked. Especially at night.

It’s one of the reasons I love the cook outfit. Hide the helmet and gloves and you get an outfit that isn’t exactly skimpy but there’s a lot of more skin / wood showing.

http://i.imgur.com/2RbvXXG.jpg

I feel like I relate most to this comment. I have three sylvari gents, and would LOVE to see their skin patterns more. The light armor kind of allows that, but not by much. The medium cultural armor I have on my ranger is way cool but you can’t see squat.

At the same time, though, I made one studly dragonhunter as a character I play to have something nice to look at (as some straight guys have admitted to with their female characters). Currently he’s in the pit fighter armor. It’s both sexy and elegant! At least to me. However, I’d like more like that in every armor class. Maybe we could even get an option to turn off visibility for the chest piece! Or all the pieces!

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

So the OP asks politely for equally skimpy armor for male characters, and some guys start talking about how the op is exagerating with the sexism/sexualization of female armor, while others talk about how wrongly women dress in real life and how that should affect how we want to dress our characters in a game.
And those very same people think that asking for simple things is easier for us because we are women. Really xD

So you decide to jump in and throw in your two cents by making bad and wrong generalizations to get a rise out of people so they’ll quote you? Really xD

Back on topic: practically all my characters wear form fitting armor/outfits and my male characters do have bare skin/fur showing. The problem I have is the options available are slim so I’m recycling the same several parts, and there aren’t many options for male characters to show parts of their bare legs without attaching a long skirt to it.

Posted by: Tsakhi.8124

Tsakhi.8124

I don’t know, I’ve always been fond of choices, but when you get into the water of sexism, I just want to step back and say: "Hey, this is a game. You have options to deal with what needs to be done, you may not like those options, but life has taught me how to deal with the hand you’re dealt. What I do, for fits and giggles, is take off my armor during cut-scenes and watch as the NPCs prattle on to my mostly naked character. It’s as though their mouths are flapping, but in their heads they’re like: “Commander, please!”
<The Commander smiles.>
Back on topic.
Racy male armor isn’t really hard to do, it just takes a little bit of time, especially if it’s skin tight. Like on B&S, my male character wears a very tight, revealing, spandex-esque outfit. I can tell that it must have taken some time for them to correct clipping problems, because every once in awhile, the clippy demons snip my character’s butt off. (rest in pieces.)
I’m sure it will eventually come to pass that we will get a greater variety of attire.

Probably something inappropriate.

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

Everyone, I would like you to take note of the above statement, as it is a perfect example of what is known as ‘The Straw-man Fallacy’.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: superherofan.8042

superherofan.8042

God yes please. Give me something that doesn’t cover up the butt and shows more exposed torso skin especially in the back. And just sleeker overall. I love the Sunspear outfit but it had design inspiration from GW1. I hate the data mined armors because they are just so busy and bulky. I miss the town clothes simpler styles. Hey, just give me Faren’s speedo or loin cloth outfits for Halloween or Valentine’s Day…

Posted by: Audra.8057

Audra.8057

Everyone, I would like you to take note of the above statement, as it is a perfect example of what is known as ‘The Straw-man Fallacy’.

“A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent’s argument, while refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent.”

You have been doing this in this ENTIRE thread.

Leo G.4501

“A straw man is a common form of argument and is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent’s argument, while refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent.”

You have been doing this in this ENTIRE thread.

Where?

The majority of the posts he made is more commentary about other people being overly sensitive to perceived options (i.e. women are overly sexualized, Anet has sexist designers, there are not any options to cover female bodies, Anet doesn’t understand we all hate being forced to dress skimpy as females, etc). That’s completely different from telling us that the reason we explain gender difference in real life clothes is because we think that fact should affect the style of the armors.

DarknessKitty.4801

Everyone, I would like you to take note of the above statement, as it is a perfect example of what is known as ‘Ad Hominem Fallacy"
And the same goes for Leo G, sorry to wake you up from your lovely dream, but that’s what you have been doing

EDIT:

I can’t help but laugh at how there are two almost equally loud groups, one decrying the comparative lack of skimpy female armor, and another turned off by the apparent absurdity of female skimpy armor and/or the unfairness of it compared to male armor.

Just goes to show that there’s no pleasing everyone.

What I find equally absurd is how just having the option to cloth a female character in skimpy armor is labeled as sexualizing them and yet, what do a large portion of women wear casually, at work or at school? Most aren’t trying to wear loose jeans and a regular-lengthed short sleeve shirt.

Both of you are being unrespectful. The Greyhawk, you just described a problem with an easy solution, more skimpy armor for both genders, yet you aply your beloved “straw man fallacy” to turn things your way.
And LeoG…. nothing to say. What women wear is nothing of your business (any person naked to the bone still has a respectable opinion), and yet, if you think GW2 skimpy armor = real life women clothes, then you should stop playing videogames cause you can’t tell fantasy from reality. Try making real friends and going out, i,m serious, not mocking

Leo G.4501

And the same goes for Leo G, sorry to wake you up from your lovely dream, but that’s what you have been doing

Show me where I am doing what you’re saying.

Both of you are being unrespectful.

Counter to popular belief, respect isn’t a right, it’s a privilege usually earned or mutually understood. Now it is against the forum rules to be disrespectful to others, and I do believe I am not being disrespectful in my posts here. If I am being disrespectful, please show me where.

And LeoG…. nothing to say. What women wear is nothing of your business, and yet, if you think GW2 skimpy armor = real life wome clothes, then you should stop playing videogames cause you are suffering a distorted reality. Try making real friends and going out, i,m serious, not mocking

You’re telling me I don’t have friends and don’t go out, i.e. I’m a shut in. If that isn’t disrespectful, I don’t know what to tell you. Beside that (frankly don’t take offense because you seriously don’t know anything about me), you are straw-manning my argument vehemently. I’m going to assume the post of mine you quoted is the example that I think skimpy armor = real life clothes for women, but you fail to actually see the reason I draw the parallel in the first place.

I bring up real life women and the clothes they wear because they chose to wear it! Women choose to wear the clothes they wear just like players choose to dress their characters certain ways and it has nothing to do with them having only skimpy options (because they don’t, fyi). And just to clarify if that was a bit difficult to follow for you, I’m not arguing for or against skimpy armor additions (I’m actually for more options), I’m arguing against the notion that the choices female characters have and male characters have is a product of sexism or discrimination.

(edited by Leo G.4501)

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Haven’t read the whole thread but wouldn’t skimpy armour, male or female, be defeating the object of wearing armour in the first place?

If some crazed, plate-wearing Norm was coming at me with 12 foot double headed battle ace, I’d want all the protection I could get.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

The Greyhawk.9107

Everyone, I would like you to take note of the above statement, as it is a perfect example of what is known as ‘Ad Hominem Fallacy"

EDIT:

I can’t help but laugh at how there are two almost equally loud groups, one decrying the comparative lack of skimpy female armor, and another turned off by the apparent absurdity of female skimpy armor and/or the unfairness of it compared to male armor.

Just goes to show that there’s no pleasing everyone.

What I find equally absurd is how just having the option to cloth a female character in skimpy armor is labeled as sexualizing them and yet, what do a large portion of women wear casually, at work or at school? Most aren’t trying to wear loose jeans and a regular-lengthed short sleeve shirt.

Both of you are being unrespectful. The Greyhawk, you just described a problem with an easy solution, more skimpy armor for both genders, yet you aply your beloved “straw man fallacy” to turn things your way.

A few things.

Pointing out that another person is misrepresenting, intentionally or otherwise, a stance, opinion or argument of myself or another is not an Ad Hominem. Which is what you have done. For it to have been an ad hominem I would have had to attack you, commonly via insults.

Scondly its disrespectful, and as Leo said, respect is earned. I will provide basic courtesy but I do not have to respect you or anyone here.

Moving forward, the second quote above that you are attributing to me is not one I made, its Leo’s. I’m not in the habit of quoting myself like that.
You’ve also miss-characterized my initial statement (straw) in this thread. There have been a lot of people on this forum and elsewhere that have decried the presence of armors, typically female, that are salacious and show skin. There have also, in more recent years, been a lot of posters upset at how few such set exist in this game, particularly compared to its predecessor (or any other MMO for that matter), using phrases for the devs at Arenanet like ‘puritanical’.
And yes, I do find this to be amusing. Because People.
On this thread there have been some that, in their language, have sounded like the former group, which is more or less why I said that. But I also said this:

I"m not actually against more options, just so you know. Rather, not unlike Leo, I feel the need to point out what (to me at least) appear to be fallacious arguments and question aberrant statements.

See, here’s where you Strawman’d me, I was never against more balanced options at all. Because, hey, skimpy male clothing may not be to my tastes, but I do believe in fairness, so if people want it, who am I to say no? What I was taking acceptation to was some of the statements and arguments being said to support this idea, particularly the ones that tried to make this some kind of social issue.
An idea can still be a good one even if what’s being used to support it is fallacious, but that doesn’t really make the fallacies ok. Better to challenge the arguments, learn from the shortcomings and come up with better ones.

Now, do we understand one another?

Hate is Fuel.

(edited by The Greyhawk.9107)

DarknessKitty.4801

I,m not going to help you bring this off topic. Obviously you are not reading yourselves trying to justify that way of thinking and tryharding talking nonsense. The arguments are on the table, take them or let your pride eat yourselfs. Obviously there’s no point on arguing with you
Yes, you are right, girls shouldnt ask for skimpy armor because of what we wear or because of two different oppinions or whatever your last argument is. You changed it so much that I already dont know. That was a polite topikittenil you came with stuff out of the blue. And I cant bring myself to care anymore

I,m up for more skimpy male armor. Go ANet!

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

It’ll never happen till they replace the one/s behind the current terrible armor designs with someone who knows what they’re doing instead of having someone with a selfish vendetta against everyone who’s opposed to the coat style in constant control over it. They’re obviously never going to stop so someone else needs to take over. Please get rid of them and make Guild Wars great again..

Attachments:

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

The Greyhawk.9107

I,m not going to help you bring this off topic. Obviously you are not reading yourselves trying to justify that way of thinking and tryharding talking nonsense. The arguments are on the table, take them or let your pride eat yourselfs. Obviously there’s no point on arguing with you
Yes, you are right, girls shouldnt ask for skimpy armor because of what we wear or because of two different oppinions or whatever your last argument is. You changed it so much that I already dont know. That was a polite topikittenil you came with stuff out of the blue. And I cant bring myself to care anymore

I,m up for more skimpy male armor. Go ANet!

Attachments:

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Sojourner.4621

Sojourner.4621

I would like to see more skimpy design options for male armor, less skimpy design options for females, more pants, fewer butt-capes, fewer trenchcoats, more “leather” looks in heavy armor categories. I am all about all variety of design diversity, and it has nothing to do with sexual orientation or “what I want to look at.” People are awesome and find great ways to mix and match pieces of armor in to brilliant overall designs and I want everything possible to encourage that.

Edit: I personally really want to see more asymmetrical armor designs, bare arms, bare legs, single gloves, realistic practical and less “fantasy” armor designs as well.

(edited by Sojourner.4621)

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I’d pay real money for a decent “skimpy” heavy armor set.
By that I mean, armor set that shows more skin, isn’t bulky or covered in 100 spikes.
Something like Phalanx armor set, which funnily enough was the last skimpy heavy armor set, and it was released in 2013.

Posted by: makagoto.1204

makagoto.1204

I want some tattoo and scar armors,that’s something i already had in gw1. Those were limited to monks and necros though. I also want new infinite combat Tonics like the Infinite Watchknight Tonic. A first Suggestion would be a Kodan Tonic. We have waited Long enough to turn into Kodan. Please make it happen. To finally run like a centaur would also be a nice option.