Skritt Worker Contract Disabled

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

There is an issue with the Skritt Worker Contracts that will be addressed as soon as possible. In the meantime, we have temporarily disabled the contracts.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Karasu.9483

Karasu.9483

Perhaps not related but there’s a bug where if you are not on the ground (jumping) while using the contract it will be used but will not yield any reward (or skritt). Hopefully these issues can be resolved

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Perhaps not related but there’s a bug where if you are not on the ground (jumping) while using the contract it will be used but will not yield any reward (or skritt). Hopefully these issues can be resolved

I can pass that long, since they’re actively working on the contract. Thanks!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

The Skritt have learnt about industrial strike action!

Hope negotiations go well…

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

And also if the skritt spawns on terrain higher than where the stash is, the skritt just stands there and you never get your loot. (I submitted an in-game bug report regarding this so they should have the data somewhere about that)

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

There is an issue with the Skritt Worker Contracts that will be addressed as soon as possible. In the meantime, we have temporarily disabled the contracts.

So they went on strike?

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

I found that one time the skrit spawned on the other side of a rock from the stash. I went over to him (once I realized) and he kind of followed me back as long as I didn’t move too fast. And then he ran around the stash searching for maybe 3 minutes before he finally found it. It was pretty weird, and funny, but not the kind of thing I would enjoy all the time! —edited for typos.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

And also if the skritt spawns on terrain higher than where the stash is, the skritt just stands there and you never get your loot. (I submitted an in-game bug report regarding this so they should have the data somewhere about that)

Oh, is -that- why my first test of the stash use failed? I was on the high apple ledge, north end of the apple area, and used my first contract to no avail. The skritt just stood there and yah, I think it was up a step or two from the stash.

Posted by: AndrewMcLeod

Previous

AndrewMcLeod

Game Designer

Next

So they went on strike?

Yeah, some people found a loophole in their contract that allowed them to avoid paying the skritt workers for their labor. The skritt have gone on strike until a new contract can be negotiated.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I hope they are also fixing the bug where if the stash is on top of a rock the Skritt spawns below it and it won’t see the stash (it spawned inside the rock). I had one do that. It then spent the next several minutes informing me that there were no shinies nearby (in spite of being inches from a stash).

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: EthanLightheart.9168

EthanLightheart.9168

Did the people who did it get banned for it?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

^How would they tell who accidentally did this, and who did it on purpose? I know I came across this ‘bug’, but I had no idea it didn’t use the contract, as I had several in my inventory.

I thought it was just a interaction message error, and didn’t think much about it.

Posted by: Eirian Direstorm.9748

Eirian Direstorm.9748

I think Ethan was responding to Andrew’s joking response about the loophole.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ahh. Perhaps.

The loot isn’t very game-breaking, anyway. Lol.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

So they went on strike?

Yeah, some people found a loophole in their contract that allowed them to avoid paying the skritt workers for their labor. The skritt have gone on strike until a new contract can be negotiated.

Why cant we have Skrits as slaves? They are just rats anyway

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

(edited by Malediktus.3740)

Posted by: lLobo.7960

lLobo.7960

It would be funny if the loot you get got better if more people was using the contract on the same location… As skrits get smarter with more of them around…

Posted by: Aly Cat.9415

Aly Cat.9415

So…in essence, the reason this is getting fixed isn’t because of any of the problems that effect the players not getting returns for their expenditures…only because there’s occasionally an issue where the contract isn’t consumed…so they’re getting rewards for no expenditure.

From an objective and moral standpoint; that should be fixed. From a subjective observation in the trend of behavior from Anet/NCsoft….it just proves there are only two motivations for Anet, make money, or stop players from getting unintended benefits. Player inconvenience or loss, are not motivators.

She never said that was the only reason this was getting fixed, just playing along with the joke of skritt on strike. If anything, it’s a timely reference to someone IRL who brags about not paying people he contracts.

Also, exploits do hurt and inconvenience players because it’s unfair to those who aren’t dishonest when the people who ARE dishonest have more gold to spend, and also mess up the market. Some players are mad about the apple exploit, and that didn’t even impact the market, just allowed some players to acquire a title and AP faster.

I don’t understand why people have to read something negative into everything.

(edited by Aly Cat.9415)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

So…in essence, the reason this is getting fixed isn’t because of any of the problems that effect the players not getting returns for their expenditures…only because there’s occasionally an issue where the contract isn’t consumed…so they’re getting rewards for no expenditure.

From an objective and moral standpoint; that should be fixed. From a subjective observation in the trend of behavior from Anet/NCsoft….it just proves there are only two motivations for Anet, make money, or stop players from getting unintended benefits. Player inconvenience or loss, are not motivators.

Players can always contact support and ask for another contract if one they have bugs out.. They also did not say in this thread that they weren’t working on other bugs. Merely that this one bug could be exploited and so needed a temporary halt.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: traeler.5274

traeler.5274

Gotta chime in to address some of the cynicism I’m seeing. There was an innocent bug many people were experiencing, giving out the occasional free rewards. However, this innocent bug is so easily reproducible that it would not be hard for people to purposely exploit it for profit at no expense. Has it been happening en masse? Only ArenaNet knows. My guess is it is happening enough to warrant disabling.

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

So they went on strike?

There is also one near the shore close to the skritt village that uses up the contract and creates a skritt, but the skritt can’t always path to the node so it just keeps trying. Also you can create multiple skritt and each uses a contract, but none will find the node.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Posted by: Ixillius.5768

Ixillius.5768

I’m glad these issues are getting fixed. I’ve gotten 1 free contract and spend 5 on nothing thanks to these bugs. A really annoying thing to keep in mind when opening stashes.

Posted by: sarkysek.1085

sarkysek.1085

A few days ago, I found out that if you have jade armor active (the one from the new consumable item) and attempt to open a skritt stash, it will consume the contract but nothing will happen. No skritt will appear, contract won’t be refunded. Does this work as intended or is it a bug? If so, could you please adress that along with the other issue? Wasted several contracts this way until I figured.

Posted by: Birdack.6714

Birdack.6714

I’m with the Skritts! Defend their rights!!

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

There were several interesting reports in this thread about possible issues with those less-than-wholesome and clearly less-than-motivated worker rats.

I have passed along the reports. Thanks for, first of all, using the in-game report system for them, because that gives the devs a chance to get more data than a forum report. However, posting in this thread wasn’t a bad idea!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

I’m with the Skritts! Defend their rights!!

what about skritt children?
do they get rights? If not, child labor and sweat shop standards for all skritt labor until proper I.D. is provided

Posted by: Lord Rhett.9360

Lord Rhett.9360

Are there any updates on this?

My Little Dolyak: Supply is Magic

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Are there any updates on this?

No update yet, but I have requested one, when it becomes available.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Skritts are back on the job, doing what skritts do. Contract with them at your own risk, of course.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Skritts are back on the job, doing what skritts do. Contract with them at your own risk, of course.

Did they fix the bug where the skritt get stuck in terrain and don’t open the stash?

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Posted by: AndrewMcLeod

Previous

AndrewMcLeod

Game Designer

Did they fix the bug where the skritt get stuck in terrain and don’t open the stash?

If the skritt hasn’t been able to loot the stash for you after 30 seconds, he now gives up and refunds your contract.

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

If the skritt hasn’t been able to loot the stash for you after 30 seconds, he now gives up and refunds your contract.

Ah very nice, thanks

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

Posted by: AshinNoma.2147

AshinNoma.2147

Hello. I wanted to ask something about the contract. When I was walking around Ember Bay today I found a player that was doing something shady . Basically she/he picked a stash that was kinda hidden [metal covers made by skritt around it from one side, and big rock on the other] played as an asura [smaller figure, harder to spot in that dark area] and after using the contract on the stash, she/he just relogged and used it again. So we can just get a stack on contracts and go to one stash and then relog over and over. When I asked her/him if it’s okay to do stuff like that since I’ve heard about some bans because of some glitch [I wasn’t really following the story with contracts]. This person told me that they never heard anything about bans and they just wanted to open 50 of them.
So my question is, is it okay for us to do stuff like that? Or that is something bad and will be fixed soon-ish? Because what’s the purpose in walking around looking for stash if we can just go to the close one near skritt camp and open it infinitely as long as we have contract.
Looking forward to hear what other players and devs have to say about this. Thank you for your time.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I can’t imagine it would make any difference. One still must pay for each contract. If someone wants to forego the pleasure of the treasure hunt, sobeit.

I’m sure, if the Devs frown upon such actions, a patch will disable them from being interactable by the same character within some set period of time.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Hello. I wanted to ask something about the contract. When I was walking around Ember Bay today I found a player that was doing something shady . Basically she/he picked a stash that was kinda hidden [metal covers made by skritt around it from one side, and big rock on the other] played as an asura [smaller figure, harder to spot in that dark area] and after using the contract on the stash, she/he just relogged and used it again. So we can just get a stack on contracts and go to one stash and then relog over and over. When I asked her/him if it’s okay to do stuff like that since I’ve heard about some bans because of some glitch [I wasn’t really following the story with contracts]. This person told me that they never heard anything about bans and they just wanted to open 50 of them.
So my question is, is it okay for us to do stuff like that? Or that is something bad and will be fixed soon-ish? Because what’s the purpose in walking around looking for stash if we can just go to the close one near skritt camp and open it infinitely as long as we have contract.
Looking forward to hear what other players and devs have to say about this. Thank you for your time.

The only advantage to relogging is how much you have to travel. If I memorized an efficient route to all the locations, I could probably open 50 in about the same amount of time as the person to whom you spoke does by relogging.

But if you’re worried, you can use the in-game /bug reporting tool to document this as an ‘exploit’ and/or send mail to exploit@arena.net. Whatever any of us think about it, it’s up to ArenaNet to evaluate whether it’s a problem for the game or not.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”