Skritt as a playable race

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rok.2963

Rok.2963

I have actually heard in-game chatter about this before, and people would share their wish quite passionately, so I think I’m far from alone when I say that I’d really love to see the Skritt as a playable race in a future expansion of Guild Wars 2, or—heck—dare I say, Guild Wars 3 whenever it is out.

Skritt are one of the most interesting, funny, “cool”, organized, and fast-paced races in the world of GW2; and these aspects or features of a race collectively make up a remarkably appealing “way of being” for a big group of players out there, I believe. “Yes, yes?” =)

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I do really love the idea of playing as a Skritt for some reason. Only problem I see is that lorewise, I believe they get dumber when there are less of them around (or something to that effect). Kind of like a hive mind.

So if Anet keeps to their “canon” I’m not sure the idea of an individual Skritt hero would work too well. I spose they could always break their own rules though.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: nopoet.2960

nopoet.2960

It would be fun to see the skritt as a playable race but…
1. Players would have to be able to control a pack of skritt not just one individual
2. I don’t think the devs should do it because there is no way they can come close to how I picture it in my imagination and anything they design would just be disappointing

(edited by nopoet.2960)

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

Before Tengu?

Hells no.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

IF they wanted to make playable skritt, they could introduce a smarter version of them living in an area we’ve not been able to access yet. They could then have traits that create special AoE buffs that only affect those that have the “Skritt” condition, to make buffs that boost them when they’re near each other.

Tengu should come first, but it would actually kind of make sense to bring Tengu and “advanced” skritt out together. They could be living in the same area, and doing this would allow the devs to bring out two races with less work than bringing them out separately would require.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Tengu and Kodan are first so… join the queue.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Elsdragon.5109

Elsdragon.5109

As fun as playing as Skritts sound, there are a lot of problems with that. As mentioned a few times above, they’re not the most intelligent creatures around, and will only have a decent intellect when there are quite a few of them gathered together. This makes individual heroes very unlikely.

The second is their culture. They aren’t heroes; they’re thieves. On almost all occasions wherein Skritts help the Pact in the personal story, they act as thieves, scouts, or other non-combat covert ops. They’re fun to watch and interact with, but they aren’t playable race material.

Edit: The closest races that could be made playable are probably the Tengu or Kodan, and maybe the Centaurs (from Elona, or if the Modniirs can make peace with the humans) due to their more established and unified presence.

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

Tengu and Kodan are first so… join the queue.

Eh…Tengu at least.

@OP yeah, it would be semi-interesting. Tengu should come first though. They’re the only race that actually has any substantial back story.

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Before Tengu?

Hells no.

Agreed. Tengu before all.

Personally, I’d love to play a centaur, but that’s probably not gonna happen. Tengu are the best and most likely candidate.

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

It just makes me think…..

Attachments:

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Labjax.2465

I would settle for Kodan. I can bearly wait to see a race like them in action.

Upon looking into the Tengu and GW2, I can see why so many mention them in race discussions. Apparently, they were under consideration for a GW2 race, but didn’t quite make the cut.

I’m assuming from what I read that they would be the most logistically easy to add.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

1. Players would have to be able to control a pack of skritt not just one individual
2. I don’t think the devs should do it because there is no way they can come close to how I picture it in my imagination and anything they design would just be disappointing

I’d love to play a group of Skritt as a player character.

In Allod’s Online, there was a playable race that almost always functioned in groups of three siblings. Some of the animations were very clever, with one of the trio wielding a main weapon, and another the off weapon. One would duck when another fired a spell over its head.

Their “/sit” animation, I think it was, was great. The three would sit down in a circle and pull out beer mugs and start quaffing.

Realistically, it’d be too much work for ArenaNet for the niche crowd that would enjoy playing them. It’s the kind of great idea someone has when the game is still in development, and does the work to make it happen. It’s not the kind of thing you do after launch with the accountants looking over your shoulder asking how it will help the bottom line.

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

As much as I love these little guys. I don’t see them as a player race. However if henchmen are ever added to the game I so want one.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Palador.2170

As much as I love these little guys. I don’t see them as a player race. However if henchmen are ever added to the game I so want one.

Oh yes. They’d do better as henchmen, I agree. And they’d be popular as them, too.

Posted by: Chameleon Dude.1564

Chameleon Dude.1564

If we ever got something like GW1’s bonus mission pack, playing as a small group of skritt would be great. Or perhaps a fractal?

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

On Piken Square I Roleplay a Skritt sometimes, using a Skritt tonic made in the Mystic Forge.

Ingredients:

2 x Mystery Tonic + 1 x Tiny Claw + 1 Slab of Red Meat = 2 x Skritt Tonic.

Since the Skritt tonics only last 15 minutes, I limit the time I RP with my ‘Skritt’ (His name is Skrittbags and he is a lost former experiment of the Asura).

Personally, I don’t think having Skritt as a full-time playable race is necessary, but I would love the Skritt tonic to last longer than 15 minutes. About 1 hour should be long enough, considering the rarity of the ingredients needed.

:)

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Talyn.3295

If we ever got something like GW1’s bonus mission pack, playing as a small group of skritt would be great. Or perhaps a fractal?

On Piken Square I Roleplay a Skritt sometimes, using a Skritt tonic made in the Mystic Forge.

Ingredients:

2 x Mystery Tonic + 1 x Tiny Claw + 1 Slab of Red Meat = 2 x Skritt Tonic.

Since the Skritt tonics only last 15 minutes, I limit the time I RP with my ‘Skritt’ (His name is Skrittbags and he is a lost former experiment of the Asura).

Personally, I don’t think having Skritt as a full-time playable race is necessary, but I would love the Skritt tonic to last longer than 15 minutes. About 1 hour should be long enough, considering the rarity of the ingredients needed.

:)

I can support both of these ideas.

Posted by: Rok.2963

Rok.2963

I really have no idea what the big deal with Tengu is! I don’t find Tengu half as interesting as Skritt are. Backstory? Who the heck cares about a back story among the player base? A minority. The majority of players care more about effects, animations, voiced comments, and so on; and in these departments, Skritt win hands down. Tengu is also one of the races that have incompatible voices with how they look, just like Asuras; both have voices that should belong to much bigger and bulkier races. I love Asura voice acting; comments like “Help…I don’t have long!” and “Why won’t anyone help me?” and “Accelerating!”; but their tone have absolutely nothing to do with the looks of the Asuras. On the other hand, Skritts were perfectly done; their voices match their looks and sizes, and their movements match their personalities; they’re a race ripe for being controlled by players.

As for the intelligence issue, it is a lot, lot easier to resolve, within the lore, than anyone can imagine; quick examples without group brainstorming or deep thinking include portable communication devices made by Asura and carried by all Skritts that come from the specific Skritt town where the players would start, which allow those specific Skritt to remotely communicate with each other as a silent, passive thing; or a result from an Asura experiment; and so on.

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

skritt as race? Make it happen a-net.. (picture shows my reason)

http://www.tabletophell.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/skaven.jpg

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

I have actually heard in-game chatter about this before, and people would share their wish quite passionately, so I think I’m far from alone when I say that I’d really love to see the Skritt as a playable race in a future expansion of Guild Wars 2, or—heck—dare I say, Guild Wars 3 whenever it is out.

Skritt are one of the most interesting, funny, “cool”, organized, and fast-paced races in the world of GW2; and these aspects or features of a race collectively make up a remarkably appealing “way of being” for a big group of players out there, I believe. “Yes, yes?” =)

I love these little guys! For me, these guys trump Asura any day! They’re cute, they’re charming, and they’re smart, instinctive little buggers.

The racial sympathy storylines involving the Skritt has won me over. We need these guys as a new race. If that happens, we should get a small group of 5 skritt instead of one character. We should be able to use the Hero flag system from GW1, so we can command individual skritt to different areas on the map.

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

skritt as race? Make it happen a-net.. (picture shows my reason)

http://www.tabletophell.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/skaven.jpg

Yes! Rats of NIMH, UNITE!!

I want a Skritt Engie now!

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

will never happen…
We have been told already several times, that the inferior races won’t become playable races, because their only role and purpose in this game is beng part in the personal story and besides of thatm they also provide not all the requirements that need to be fulfilled first to become a playable race.

A Skritt alone is dumb like a flea, they look all the same, theres no “main town” location for them that is known in the game, like for example for the Tengu.

Best Thing ANet should do is simple increasing the time of Skritt Tonics to 1h or unlimited even better, adding a permanent skritt tonic into the game, which could be maybe mystic forged through using xxx normal skritt tonics, some crystals, stones of the philosopher and ectos

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

will never happen…
We have been told already several times, that the inferior races won’t become playable races, because their only role and purpose in this game is beng part in the personal story and besides of thatm they also provide not all the requirements that need to be fulfilled first to become a playable race.

A Skritt alone is dumb like a flea, they look all the same, theres no “main town” location for them that is known in the game, like for example for the Tengu.

Best Thing ANet should do is simple increasing the time of Skritt Tonics to 1h or unlimited even better, adding a permanent skritt tonic into the game, which could be maybe mystic forged through using xxx normal skritt tonics, some crystals, stones of the philosopher and ectos

Well technically skritt DO got a hometown.. its in fact rather big, even got a king. Called skrittsburgh…might wanna check it out sometime. As for the sillyness…yea.. a single skritt is as bright as a broken lightbulb, no question bout that. As for role.. that technically could be written in.. but i got no hopes about a new race anyways.. not even the tengu. If they would add the tengu they would most likely suffer the same fate like the charr do (cause they are pretty close bodyshape, stance and model wise, not talking bout design, just technical aspects)…horrible armor quality and a “zero kittens given” attitude if it comes to gem store armor related items, so not many people would play them. Whats the point in having a pretty looking bird dude that gets covered by an armor with bad textures, stretching and zero consideration about their physics?… I dont really see a point, rather leave em fully away..it dissapoints less people at the long run.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I want Tengu, Skritt and Krait/Naga as playable races.

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

Yes at least 12 Skritts, each bears 1 skill. Else your Skritt character wouldnt even be able to count 1+1.

Labjax.2465

Well technically skritt DO got a hometown.. its in fact rather big, even got a king. Called skrittsburgh…might wanna check it out sometime. As for the sillyness…yea.. a single skritt is as bright as a broken lightbulb, no question bout that. As for role.. that technically could be written in.. but i got no hopes about a new race anyways.. not even the tengu. If they would add the tengu they would most likely suffer the same fate like the charr do (cause they are pretty close bodyshape, stance and model wise, not talking bout design, just technical aspects)…horrible armor quality and a “zero kittens given” attitude if it comes to gem store armor related items, so not many people would play them. Whats the point in having a pretty looking bird dude that gets covered by an armor with bad textures, stretching and zero consideration about their physics?… I dont really see a point, rather leave em fully away..it dissapoints less people at the long run.

Right, it’s certainly not an impossibility that they could make the lore fit for the race.

I’m not sure it’d be quite the same origin story anyway for any potential new races with an expansion. Shoehorning a hypothetical new race into the old Zhaitan story chain would feel awkward and outdated, imo.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

Maybe some sort of unholy Skrit and Asura hybrid which was a result of a mad asura and is maybe like Deadpool in that he has two personalities. The more shinies he is near the more Skrit like he behaves. The Asura of course hate the very existence of this new hybrid race and the Skrit are suspicious of their dominant Asuran side.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

I would love to see Skritt as a playable race, but not before Tengu.

I know many feel the same, Tengu is the fan favorite for the next playable race.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Tiffany.8576

Tiffany.8576

I’d roll a skritt. And I’d pay gems for the privilege. Just sayin’…

Tiff | [TW] Tempest Wolves | WvW Staff Tempest Guide
NA/EU sPvP Elementalist

Posted by: cheshirefox.7026

cheshirefox.7026

there was a fan made Skritt character creation page here

i wouldn’t mind seeing arena net implement another race, but something like skritt.. it would be highly interesting to see them playable but with limited abilities.. i don’t see them becoming a more capable race anytime soon.. and no i don’t mean potions

i can outswim a centaur!
when i’m done on an issue
i start talking in nerglish

Posted by: Voidrunner.5093

Voidrunner.5093

I think Skritt are coming as playable.
They are likely to add skills that will reflect the lore.

also Anet LOVES to kitten with us.
we all know that tengu are being added
but Anet will literally be like,
“oh you want tengu? NOPE! lul, Lul SERPRIEZ BAT BEEPLS!

i cant wait for a skritt thief
hes gonna be like a little bat beepl

just imagine skritt elite where you summon a ton of skritt

kitten shoulda saved skritt necro

Quaggan wants to sit in chair
Quaggan has been trying and trying, but Quaggan cannot sit on chair.
Quaggan does not think sitting exists. . .Quaggan sad.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Tengu, Centaur, Kodan, Naga, Skritt, bring them all..and race change!

JQ Druid

Posted by: Gravox the Terrible.2157

Gravox the Terrible.2157

Skritt would be great, but nothing would compare to the awesomeness of a Quaggan thief.
Boo-hoo backstab!

Talyn.3295

Skritt would be great, but nothing would compare to the awesomeness of a Quaggan thief.
Boo-hoo backstab!

Quaggan’s are so dumb they would end up stabbing themselves.

Posted by: Rethmar Stokestrike.1927

Rethmar Stokestrike.1927

There are at least 10 races I could name that are better playable characters than Skritt. Just to name a couple; Tengu and Kodan. Skritt are definitely a step down on community standards. It’s almost akin to asking for more RNG.

So no, just no.

GS Berzerker Builds: Making Wammo style Warriors cry since 2012.

Palador.2170

But, Skritt are adorable!

And with Rytlock gone, Destiny’s Edge needs a new member. We can call him “Skrittlock”!