Smart loot system = death to med and heavy!!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: gobax.6185

gobax.6185

How ironic that the smart loot system is a very very stupid idea.

Im not sure if anet devs are playing the game or not but if they do, they shouldve notice how crappy medium and heavy armors are compared to light armors.

If this gets implemented, nobody will run medium armor and heavy armor classes anymore because compared to how much you can earn from salvaging light armors, the two are super cheap.

To Anet:

I hope you play the game once in a while before trying to implement some changes. Last thing we want from this game is to lose class variety.

Warriors are currently non existent in cursed shore farming due to them suck at tagging mobs. By implementing this system, cursed shore will be full of necros and elems since salvaging light armors gives you silk scraps which you can sell for 2silvers each. Nobody will farm using heavy and medium anymore once this smart loot gets implemented.

Think twice anet. Play the game and see firsthand before making changes to farming in game.

Posted by: TheFamster.7806

TheFamster.7806

well if everyone is going to play in light armor, wouldn’t that ulitmately lower the price of silk/linen/cotton due to increased supply?

Tour

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

scratch that, i read the update preview. even as someone who main’s light armor classes..that’s infuriating.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

(edited by Lightsbane.9012)

Posted by: Neve.7134

Neve.7134

You miss an important point. If there’ll be more elementalist/necro farming and getting their armor, for example, silk scraps will not remain at 2silvers, because more people will be able to farm it.
Also, I think Anet play the game like you and me, and they’ve already said that this new way to loot items will be very little noticeable, if not at all.

gobax.6185

Even though more will be able to farm it, more necros and elems means more demands in silk linen cotton etc so prices will barely go down. Plus no matter what class you are, everyone needs to make bolt of damask to create an ascended armor. So by using this smart loot system knowing people wants to get the most out of their farming, they will roll light armor classes which will further boost the demand of light armor crafting mats.

Im not against it on low level since we really need the gears. But implementing it on level 80 people is just not right. Level 80 people needs to farm and needs variety of loots. Restricting us to loots which only our class can wear will greatly reduce our income.

I wish anet isnt too lazy and implement the smart loot code to those leveling players and maintain the current looting system once level 80 is reached

Posted by: steveway.3167

steveway.3167

This was already discussed in this thread:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Please-No-Profession-Loot/page/5

An ANET rep said it would not be a noticable difference.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Maybe they’re intentionally trying to make getting ascended cheaper because we’re getting another tier by the end of the year.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Then it fails at its entire point of giving “appropriate” loot to each profession.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Then it fails at its entire point of giving “appropriate” loot to each profession.

To be fair the rep said that at level 80 it wouldn’t be easily noticeable.

Who knows if they have lower levels be more noticeable or not.

gobax.6185

Lol that anet rep do not know what he is talking about. From his post, he didnt have any certainty on what he is posting.

We cant share info with you, we cant go into details etc etc only shows how knowledgeable he is haha! Funny guy.

Anyway i really hope they dont change the system for lvl 80 people.

On lower levels though it is good. Price of linen and cotton are so high so we should be expecting some influx on low level players with light armor profession

(edited by gobax.6185)

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

I’ve never understood why the price of certain materials is so much higher than the rest. I sell off all the silk I get because I get tons and tons of it already. I’ll never need anymore of it and it just keeps coming. It seems like everything I salvage turns into Silk. Who is so short on silk that they are spending 2 silver apiece and how are they short when it is so abundant?

Seera.5916

I’ve never understood why the price of certain materials is so much higher than the rest. I sell off all the silk I get because I get tons and tons of it already. I’ll never need anymore of it and it just keeps coming. It seems like everything I salvage turns into Silk. Who is so short on silk that they are spending 2 silver apiece and how are they short when it is so abundant?

Look up ascended recipes.

Full set of Light armor requires 32 Bolts of Damask.

A Bolt of Damask requires 1 Spool of Silk Weaving Thread or 32 total spools for a full set.

1 Spool of Silk Weaving Thread requires 100 Bolts of Silk. 3200 Bolts of silk for an entire set.

1 Bolt of Silk requires 3 Silk Scrap. 9600 Silk Scraps required to make a full set of Ascended Armor. For one character. For one build.

9600 Silk Scraps is 38 FULL STACKS of Silk Scraps with 100 extra.

Now imagine you have different builds that require different stats. That’s 19200 Silk Scraps. Or you don’t want to play shuffle the armor set between your two characters now that the ascended armor is account bound.

Medium class builds have it the best with only needing 7200 silk scraps. Heavy not far behind at 7500 silk scraps.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

A tad over the top drama maybe on this thread.

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

A tad over the top drama maybe on this thread.

Drama and hyperbole on this forum? What? Where?

gobax.6185

@Seera another reason why anet should not implement the smart looting system.

The only ones who are not against this new system are those who are rich an gets their gold reserve by buying gems and converting them.

Those who farms the hard way like the rest of us this wil surely sucks.

Seera.5916

@Seera another reason why anet should not implement the smart looting system.

The only ones who are not against this new system are those who are rich an gets their gold reserve by buying gems and converting them.

Those who farms the hard way like the rest of us this wil surely sucks.

The only concrete thing we know is that at level 80, the difference is not easily noticeable.

We don’t know what that means, it could be pretty much negligible but they decided to leave a little higher chance for usable things since if you play one character more, you will likely want more gear for (or salvage materials related to) their profession. 0.5% increase in chance of getting profession related stuff is likely not easily noticeable.

We don’t know how noticeable the change is for a level 2. If it’s 0.5% as well, then why bother with the change?

But yes, something has to give if there is a noticeable change in drops. Even if it is adding a few silk spiders to the game to harvest. Or cotton plants. Or sheep to sheer. Or whatever you get gossamer from added.

And come up with some way to get leather that isn’t drop related to add in after leather prices come up after you come up with a way to make them profitable.

Poor medium classes with this change if it’s noticeable at level 80. They won’t get as much ore. They won’t get as much cloth (even less so than ore since you can at least mine ore). They’ll get more leather, but that’s already pretty much sitting at vender prices and practically worthless.

Posted by: Zygomaticus.7469

Zygomaticus.7469

idc if it’s prof loot as long as the mats you loot (priority on you loot table that are prof based , Iron = heavy , leather = med, cloth = light) are the only mats needed to craft for your weapons/armors.

Would it be cool to live forever?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You mean people will do dungeons with only mesmers, necros and eles? I somehow don’t see this happening OP.

People who like to play heavy professions will still play them. People who like to have pets will still play rangers. And people who like stealth will still play thieves.

Very few people by percentage follow any kind of meta, which is why the world is full of so-called under powered professions.

gobax.6185

Not dungeons but for farming maps. But who knows. If people farm dungeon for mats then definitely they will use mesmer necro and elems

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

You mean people will do dungeons with only mesmers, necros and eles? I somehow don’t see this happening OP.

People who like to play heavy professions will still play them. People who like to have pets will still play rangers. And people who like stealth will still play thieves.

Very few people by percentage follow any kind of meta, which is why the world is full of so-called under powered professions.

Which is all part of the problem.

People who are serious about making profits will have to play light armor because the casual majority could skew the prices of heavy and medium mats down more than they already have.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Zomaarwat.3912

Zomaarwat.3912

Except Warrior and Guardian are still essential in most game-modes, and people won’t just throw away their hard-earned characters. Thieves are still needed for skipping things/DPS, and Ranger and Engineer were already ignored most of the time.

well if everyone is going to play in light armor, wouldn’t that ulitmately lower the price of silk/linen/cotton due to increased supply?

First thing I thought when I saw this post.

Over a year and the forum search is still broken = /

(edited by Zomaarwat.3912)

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Not dungeons but for farming maps. But who knows. If people farm dungeon for mats then definitely they will use mesmer necro and elems

Don’t people already farm zones for stuff? And if the most efficient/productive farmers are the silk-generating classes, wouldn’t that start to affect the price? I’m not sure, but seems like it’s self-defeating and might just make silk go into a glut if everyone moves to farm that.

Though, honestly, I don’t think it will really matter one way or the other.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

Some of you guys need to check the dev feed now and then, as this has already been commented on. People who are leveling will get a marginal nudge in drops towards their armor weight/usable weapons. “Marginal” being the key word. According to the dev post most people won’t even notice much of a difference. And while yes, level 80’s will still be affected by this, again, “marginal” is the key word here. Please look it up.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Still gonna play my warrior. Oh well~

Of course, I have one of every class at 80, so if I want cloth, I can get cloth.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

gobax.6185

Majority or not doesnt change the fact that light armor classes will have advantage than heavy and med armor classes.

People farm to make gold. People who love playing heavy med armor classes will now be forced to make light armor classes because the latter has a clear advantage on getting profitable loots.

It sucks to see that this game which is supposed to be fair to everyone is giving a clear advantage to light armor classes when it comes to gold making.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Majority or not doesnt change the fact that light armor classes will have advantage than heavy and med armor classes.

People farm to make gold. People who love playing heavy med armor classes will now be forced to make light armor classes because the latter has a clear advantage on getting profitable loots.

It sucks to see that this game which is supposed to be fair to everyone is giving a clear advantage to light armor classes when it comes to gold making.

Actually, in farming, it’s not the gear loot that is the most valuable. Gear loot is a happy side effect. People who farm tend to farm for mats (T5 and T6) So heavy classes will still be able to gather cloth, not only from salvaging, because yes they are still getting med/light armor, but bags as well. If you are farming for gear to try to get your cloth, there are easier ways to do it.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

gobax.6185

Yes people farm t5 and t6 mats for money. But gears can also contribute to what people are gaining gold from.

If given a choice, farm t5 and t6 mats with heavy / med armor and get crappy armors on the side or farm t5 and t6 mats with a light armor user and get light armors on the side as an additional profit, almost everyone in their right mind will choose the 2nd option.

Why waste your time farming with heavy / med armor wherein you can clearly get more gold when you use light armor classes.

pdavis.8031

Yes people farm t5 and t6 mats for money. But gears can also contribute to what people are gaining gold from.

If given a choice, farm t5 and t6 mats with heavy / med armor and get crappy armors on the side or farm t5 and t6 mats with a light armor user and get light armors on the side as an additional profit, almost everyone in their right mind will choose the 2nd option.

Why waste your time farming with heavy / med armor wherein you can clearly get more gold when you use light armor classes.

But that is assuming as a heavy/medium player you won’t ever see light armor drops. Or see a significant reduction in light armor drops. The devs stated that it will be such a small change, that likely you won’t even notice. (Unless you are cataloging all of your gear drops now, and then after the patch to do a comparison.) So I would say, even if 1 drop in 10 had a chance to be something profession specific it wouldn’t be so much of a difference as to make people choose a light class over a heavy to farm. 1 drop in 10 means that for every 10 items dropped a heavy player would miss out on at least 2s31c. and a light class could potentially gain 2s31c (current price of silk scrap on the TP). Over all they would have to loot about 430 gear items to make at least 1 gold more.

(1g/2s31c = 43.29 items salvaged. 43.29*10 (1 drop in 10)=432 total items looted.)

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

You miss an important point. If there’ll be more elementalist/necro farming and getting their armor, for example, silk scraps will not remain at 2silvers, because more people will be able to farm it.
Also, I think Anet play the game like you and me, and they’ve already said that this new way to loot items will be very little noticeable, if not at all.

If it’s not noticeable it won’t have any noticeable effect on the price of silk. It’s one or the other, not both.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Could have sworn they said this would not affect level 80 characters. Only 1-79, so that they can actually get upgrades as they get drops. Doubt the market would break due to that.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: GreenAlien.5623

GreenAlien.5623

You people are missing the point. The loot system is a positive thing. Now they just have to fix the cloth quantity problem. It’s a bad joke that light classes have to pay so much more for their ascended armor.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I’m going to play the classes that are the most fun for me. I don’t expect I’m the only one. Let’s see the system at work before we decide what it will or will not kill.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Pennry.9215

Pennry.9215

I’m fairly sure anyone who wants to use the new system to farm the salvaged materials would just keep an open slot to keep leveling a character over and over for this, while maintaining their other characters/classes to actually run content.

I’d assume this due to them wording the post to imply that it’s a change to help leveling character actually get what they can use rather than be forced to sell what the get to buy what they need. With the most expensive materials being in the mid range (T2-T4) and each character eventually out-leveling those tiers, it makes sense to want to stay in that range. And since there is no XP disabling, recreation is the way to go. Leveling is incredibly easy now, so it’s not much effort to keep such a habit up – especially if you’re already one that likes farming.

EDIT: And I’m fairly sure the power hungry level 80 heavies will still run content even if the change effects 80s. Just on the fact I’m fairly sure (doing some quick math) that the speed of reward outweighs the benefit of extra salvage materials, especially since at 80 it’s mostly T5 with a few T6.

(edited by Pennry.9215)

Posted by: kta.6502

kta.6502

If silk scraps become more common, it will be alot easier for folks to get their ascended medium & light armor. Right now, it takes a very long time to earn the silk scraps to make the stuff.

For everyone who says “Just buy the scraps!”: I hate buying mats from TP. I perfer to earn my mats by salvaging the loot and doing events (like Dry Top).

BTW, if people start playing ele and necro more often, that will be a field day for all Engies, Rangers, and Rifle Warriors in WvW & PvP! You guys do know that the light armor classes have lousy defenses. Right? A high powered character can snipe them easily.

High powered thieves will also be able to take those guys out ASAP.

(edited by kta.6502)

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

on the other hand… if everyone uses their light profession because it gives better loot, then ore and leather will go up in price because there is less of it. well… then there would also be less demand for it. I see this being a bad idea because it’s unsteady.

gobax.6185

Why would you put wvw in this discussion? This is supposed to be for pve farmers. Stop derailing yhe thread.

The purpose of this is to givr awareness to anet.

The implementation will surely destroy the current pve experience because people will now be forced to roll light armor classes to maximize their profit. Sure they can still use their pathetic medium and heavy armor. But it doesnt change the fact that it is wiser to use light armor because of its clear advantage on getting more gold / hour.

Noticeable or not still doesnt change the fact that it is announced that light armor classes will get more light armors than the other two.

If this changes only affectd 1-79 then it is still a disadvantage. Those people who will level from 1-79 as a medium armor or heavy armor is going to be poorer than those light armor classes. What will happen next? Nobody will make heavy or med anymore because light armor is the best profit generating class.

Except for those hardcore med heavy armor users who do not care about efficiency on farming.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

The lack of understanding of the market is strong with this one.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ha ha. Too bad the game doesn’t have an economist to consult about such things. I’m sure that would be helpful.

Forced to create light armor characters….smh.

gobax.6185

Well instead of commenting things like that i doubt you guys fully understands it either. The lack of supporting details clearly shows you know nothing and just trolling.

But thank you for bumping this thread.

It is pretty common sense that if youre given a choice between farming with a heavy or med armor that gives less light armor meaning less profit and using light armor classes which will get you more gold per hour, everyone in their right mind will choose the 2nd option.

I dont know maybe you guys dont get it but that is as simple as it gets.

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

Why is cloth and cloth armor worth more on the BLTP? Do they get dropped less frequently than heavy and medium armor or are there more light armor wearers?

Seera.5916

Why is cloth and cloth armor worth more on the BLTP? Do they get dropped less frequently than heavy and medium armor or are there more light armor wearers?

Ascended armor recipes require an absurd amount of silk. Demand has been high enough vs supply.

Long term as long as no other recipes that require huge amounts of cloth come out, it will likely come down in prices as the cloth classes run out of their own personal need for cloth and can afford to sell it. But that’s a long ways off. Prices will likely initially rise due to the change. As supply will go down, but demand will likely increase slightly.

But the prices aren’t really what’s causing the issue.

The issue is that this change makes it more profitable to be certain classes over others. That those who do not like playing light armor classes will either have to farm longer, buy more cloth, or level up an alt that they do not enjoy playing at all than someone who does like light armor classes in order to get the silk needed to gear their other characters. THAT’s what’s causing the issue.

None of us have an issue with the change for under level 80.

gobax.6185

Because they are the only source of linen cotton wool silk gossamer scraps which are all needed by all the classes to craft their armors.

Now that they are boosting its drop rate for light armor users, heavy and medium will suffer.

All three need scraps for their armor so why give the other 1 and advantage and kitten out the other 2

pdavis.8031

@gobax

“The implementation will surely destroy the current pve experience”

So this will ruin dungeons, the living story, jumping puzzles, guild missions, dynamic events, and temples? How? Ever stop to think that maybe the pve experience isnt about how much gold one can make per hour? But rather having fun? There are tons of players that arent concerned with how much gold they can get, or have. What about the RP community? Is it in jeopardy too because they will now have a better chance at getting loot they can use?

Blanket statements like this show that you have no idea what makes the “the current pve experience” and how out of touch you are with this game. Also, with such a minimal change, as I showed in my previous post, shows “such a clear advantage” not really much of an advantage at all. About 1 gold more per 430 drops at a rate of 1 drop out of 10 of armor class specific gear. And I think 1 out of 10 is far too generous. A drop rate said by the devs to be “barely noticable”

Either way, this is not game breaking. Any such designs will have been run by John Smith, and if he felt it would have such a huge impact on the economy it wouldnt be the way that it is. Silk wasn’t an accident, it was done that way on purpose. And the market bears it just fine.

recognize my command!”

Obtena.7952

Well instead of commenting things like that i doubt you guys fully understands it either. The lack of supporting details clearly shows you know nothing and just trolling.

I know enough to understand that markets react to increased supply if what you predict comes true … that’s not so evident that you get it. Trolling? This thread is ridiculous. Anet has a pretty good track record for making changes to the market when they see something they don’t like. There is nothing to suggest this won’t happen here either. Fear mongering is just a tool for ignorant people.

gobax.6185

Smh. You dont get it.

Light armor classes will now have a better chance of getting light armors compared to the other two. This means they get more light armors to salvage for profit than the other two.

How is not giving 1 class an advantage on obtaining materials that 3 classes needs over the other 2 classes not gamebreaking? You can clearly see the discrimination here.

Med and heavy also needs scraps. They also need gold.

Why did anet only give light armors the advantage of getting more scraps and more gold/salvage? And at the same time gimping the other two classes by letting them get more heavy and medium armors which are worthless when being salvaged for profit.

gobax.6185

I know enough to understand that markets react to increased supply if what you predict comes true … that’s not so evident that you get it. Trolling? This thread is ridiculous. Anet has a pretty good track record for making changes to the market when they see something they don’t like. There is nothing to suggest this won’t happen here either. Fear mongering is just a tool for ignorant people.

Increased supply you are right. But with more people rolling light armors. The demand will also increase. Simple as that my friend.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

In that case, make yourself a light armor character, and get rich in the two months before the game implodes, as the Devs could not see what is so clear to you, and are foolishly destroying their own game.

Good luck!

Obtena.7952

It’s cute you think you have all this figured out. It’s sad you think you have it more figured out than the guys at Anet.

But you know what you should really do if you have all this figured out … drop EVERY last bit of gold you have buying cloth of ALL tiers before Sept 9th, then sell when all this demand happens when people only farming with light armor classes. That will really show us all how confident you are in your assessment.

gobax.6185

Well it seems anet isnt even thinking and just keeps on making changes that are not even needed.

Atleast im trying to save this game from failing. I just hope anet is true to their word that they read posts.

Aside from fanboys, Many have also contributed here stating the same arguments so im not alone who can see where this is going.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Yeah, it’s a game breaking disadvantage that can only be overcome by…. rolling and playing a light armor character? Oh. That doesn’t sound game breaking at all. Nevermind.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?