Smart loot system = death to med and heavy!!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I don’t know….people didn’t think silk would be worth anything some time ago, either, so…. /shrug

On the contrary, it was cited as one of the few “safe” things to give to the Zepyrites for their RNG loot boxes

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I remember when silk was worthless. How do we know some change won’t come to make mithril extremely desirable, or leather, or whatever?

Some people probably know the answers to those questions, but it’s not the playerbase. Lol.

Read my post above. Whichever is most valuable at any point in time, certain classes will have a loot advantage, while other classes will have a disadvantage.

And if they are all relatively equal? What shall we comment on on the forums then? ; )

If they are all relatively equal, then that would be fine. But I don’t think a change can be justified by hoping for an ideal (and rather unlikely) situation to come about and stay stable in a player-driven economy, do you?

I don’t know….people didn’t think silk would be worth anything some time ago, either, so…. /shrug

That’s the point…. if this had come in when silk was cheap, we’d have been talking about how heavy classes would be getting better loot. Anet could bring in a change so that thick leather skyrockets to 5 silver each, and then medium classes would have the advantage.

It doesn’t matter which particular class has the advantage at any point in time, because any class having an inherent loot advantage is bad.

Posted by: Neko.9021

Neko.9021

For me, making a full set of Ascended Light Armor easily costed more than double what it costed to make Ascended Medium Armor. Shouldn’t Light class players have easier access to the mats they need to make the gear they need for the characters they spend time on?

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

For me, making a full set of Ascended Light Armor easily costed more than double what it costed to make Ascended Medium Armor. Shouldn’t Light class players have easier access to the mats they need to make the gear they need for the characters they spend time on?

If mats were soulbound, sure.

People play multiple classes, for different reasons. Should someone be punished for wanting to farm on their guardian, in order to make gear for their WvW ele? Or punished for just wanting to play different classes every day as they feel like it, without worrying about how they all make different amounts of gold? The looting system should not inherently favour any particular classes over any others.

[In the interests of full disclosure: I main ele, with 2499/3482 hours of playtime on that toon. This change would probably make me more gold, at least in the short term. I don’t like it because it’s bad for the game, at least if applied to lvl 80s.]

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

How ironic that the smart loot system is a very very stupid idea.

Im not sure if anet devs are playing the game or not but if they do, they shouldve notice how crappy medium and heavy armors are compared to light armors.

If this gets implemented, nobody will run medium armor and heavy armor classes anymore because compared to how much you can earn from salvaging light armors, the two are super cheap.

To Anet:

I hope you play the game once in a while before trying to implement some changes. Last thing we want from this game is to lose class variety.

Warriors are currently non existent in cursed shore farming due to them suck at tagging mobs. By implementing this system, cursed shore will be full of necros and elems since salvaging light armors gives you silk scraps which you can sell for 2silvers each. Nobody will farm using heavy and medium anymore once this smart loot gets implemented.

Think twice anet. Play the game and see firsthand before making changes to farming in game.

Yea, right. Because it’s all about the Benjamins. Because that’s the primary reason a player picks class, salvaging their drops for coin.

First of all drops are not exclusively usable by your profession, it’s just more likely usable by your profession.

Finally, since we believe that, especially for newer players, good rewards mean things you can play with (and not just things that may happen to valuable on the Trading Post), we’ve made it so that you’re more likely to get loot that you can use. It’s still possible for a warrior to get a new staff to sell or for mesmers to find a rare rifle, but it’ll be a bit less common than it was before.

Is everything about this game is examined in terms of gold production. What ever happen to playing games for fun?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

Just a slight misconception here I wanted to address.

It’s been said, that with these loot changes more people will play on light armor classes and then the price of cloth will go down. But it’s not just as simple as that. You have to take into account the decrease in cloth that those who play heavy/medium classes will suffer.

It’s not going to bump up the supply at all. In all likeliness, prices will remain the same. This will be a result in more people playing light classes and getting more cloth, but with the heavy/medium classes balancing that out. I daresay it’s more probable that the prices will rise because of a lack of supply from heavy/medium classes that the influx of light classes can’t compensate.

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

It’s not going to bump up the supply at all. In all likeliness, prices will remain the same. This will be a result in more people playing light classes and getting more cloth, but with the heavy/medium classes balancing that out. I daresay it’s more probable that the prices will rise because of a lack of supply from heavy/medium classes that the influx of light classes can’t compensate.

The balance will remain the same. Heavy/medium wearers will receive slightly less cloth, it’s not disappearing from their loot table altogether.

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

Posted by: blackoil.2673

blackoil.2673

Seriously… If silk is high is because it’s necessary, so two easy ways to fix this:

1. Make it less necesary (not going to happen…)
2. Make med/heavy materials more necesary (just make another sort of ascended (or legendary!) crafting, and it will get balanced.

I NPCed lots and lots of silk before it went straight uphill, as long time before you’d get more profit from NPCing it than Auctioning it.