Snowy maps = least interesting

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

As much as I love playing Norn toons, I always dread the Shiverpeak maps. Even on other toons, when I have to go into those maps in order to do level-appropriate content to level up. I was reminded about how much I dislike the snowy maps when, after finishing the fire island chapter of the Living Story, I had to go to a new map in the far north. It was underwhelming and pretty much looked the same as any other snowy map in the game. Dredgehaunt Cliffs is especially awful due to some complicated sections of the map and all of the Dredge.

Even in other video games, I have hated snowy areas, so it doesn’t have to do with how ANet designed their maps. The only ones that I am fine with are ones that have a mixture of snow and no snow, such as Lornar’s Pass and the Norn starting map.

But, now I am curious if anyone here has a map/environment type that they dislike or find boring. I don’t want to be just bashing things, but have a conversation as to why we may or may not like certain types of maps.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

The Maguuma (regular, not HoT) and Kryta maps always seemed kind of boring and generic to me.

Posted by: Ganpot.3879

Ganpot.3879

Personally, I find the human areas of the map the most boring. You just keep massacring centaurs over and over again. I think a lot of maps (especially early ones) suffer from a lack of enemy variety to be honest. Humans pretty much only fight centaurs, norn fight dredge, and charr fight ghosts. The asura and sylvari areas are a bit more diverse, even if they also specialize in fighting one primary enemy.

I think the reason why I dislike the human maps more than the others is also because I don’t find centaurs to be as mechanically interesting to fight. Ghosts sometimes use different aoe attacks that should be dodged (mage ghosts), and dredge often gain buffs (the drummer type) or use a heavy burst ability that can be avoided (the ground shock attack). Whereas centaurs basically just have the standard bow/arrow and sword/shield units that don’t do anything particularly interesting except knock you down occasionally.

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

I dislike the regular maguuma maps too. Followed by orr. I actually like most of the snowy maps designs, dredge are annoying though.

My fav map aesthetically is southsun but unfortunatly theres nothing to do there.

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

As much as I love playing Norn toons, I always dread the Shiverpeak maps. Even on other toons, when I have to go into those maps in order to do level-appropriate content to level up. I was reminded about how much I dislike the snowy maps when, after finishing the fire island chapter of the Living Story, I had to go to a new map in the far north. It was underwhelming and pretty much looked the same as any other snowy map in the game. Dredgehaunt Cliffs is especially awful due to some complicated sections of the map and all of the Dredge.

Even in other video games, I have hated snowy areas, so it doesn’t have to do with how ANet designed their maps. The only ones that I am fine with are ones that have a mixture of snow and no snow, such as Lornar’s Pass and the Norn starting map.

But, now I am curious if anyone here has a map/environment type that they dislike or find boring. I don’t want to be just bashing things, but have a conversation as to why we may or may not like certain types of maps.

Allow me to retort!

Snowy maps are the best. Much prefer them to “hot” feeling maps.

But to each their own

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Hokeypokey.2135

Hokeypokey.2135

I love any snowy areas in any games. That’s probably why Skyrim is one of my favorite games and I always quest first in the Norn areas.

In my opinion jungle maps are the most boring. Probably why even after all this time I still haven’t even 100% completed a single HoT map

Posted by: Witch of Doom.5739

Witch of Doom.5739

I love the snowy maps too. Jungle ones are my least favorite but am glad there’s such a variety.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I the the original maps in the game are a bit too mundane. Too much of the same everywhere and not fantastical enough. Thankfully, as the game grows this becomes less of a problem.

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

I’m also quite fond of snowy areas, with the exception of every dredge area (I loathe industrial themes and find them totally out of place).

I like snow and hills, mountains, forests. Those always feel soothing to me, with special thoughtful fondness for the forest NW of bitterfrost frontier, and the hot springs SE of bitterfrost, or W of wayfarer’s foothills. Even all the Jormag’s corruption areas are fine for me !

I don’t like industrial areas (dredge, charr), all desertic/wasteland areas (dry top, core Orr maps mostly, partly Ascalon). Those feel flat and boring to me. Nothing to see, nothing to feel. Desert…

Posted by: VanHalenRules.5243

VanHalenRules.5243

Been thinking about this for almost a year, this seems like a fitting thread to finally say it… I would really like to see the Wintersday event in Hoelbrak this year, instead of boring DR. Bring life to the Shiverpeaks! BRING WINTERSDAY TO HOELBRAK!

Even though the snowy maps are my favorite anyway.

Altered Tuner, Hockey Defender (CD server)

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

Been thinking about this for almost a year, this seems like a fitting thread to finally say it… I would really like to see the Wintersday event in Hoelbrak this year, instead of boring DR. Bring life to the Shiverpeaks! BRING WINTERSDAY TO HOELBRAK!

Even though the snowy maps are my favorite anyway.

That definitely would be fitting. I still can’t understand why it’s held in Divinity’s Reach, and am actually really tired of the emphasis on Humans and DR throughout the lore. Or at least have all of the celebrations in Lion’s Arch, where all races congregate!

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Personally, I find the human areas of the map the most boring.

^ This. Snowy maps are my favorites in every game and they are awesome in GW2 (I love cold and snow in real life). The jungle is nice and colorful. The Charr maps’ autumny style is refreshing. But the human maps? Meh.

Posted by: XenesisII.1540

XenesisII.1540

I’m also quite fond of snowy areas, with the exception of every dredge area (I loathe industrial themes and find them totally out of place).

I like snow and hills, mountains, forests. Those always feel soothing to me, with special thoughtful fondness for the forest NW of bitterfrost frontier, and the hot springs SE of bitterfrost, or W of wayfarer’s foothills. Even all the Jormag’s corruption areas are fine for me !

I don’t like industrial areas (dredge, charr), all desertic/wasteland areas (dry top, core Orr maps mostly, partly Ascalon). Those feel flat and boring to me. Nothing to see, nothing to feel. Desert…

Exactly this for me as well. I really hate desert maps.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“I knew it, I’m surrounded by…” – Dark Helmet

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Ascalon is my least favourite. They lack a certain character for me – neither desolate like in GW1, nor beautiful.

Snow maps are by far and away my favourite, followed by volcanic.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

For me it’s always the death/goth/emo/metal places that usually constitute end game zones, as is the case with Orr.

Terrible lighting.

I actually really enjoy snowy place, especially the way they did it with GW2, where when you travel south through Lornar’s Pass and into Timberline Falls, it feels like a contiguous land (even though they are instanced).

I mostly enjoy sunny places, like Queensdale (lighting), and glad to see they will throw us some of that with the LW content for end game.

Excited to be going to a desert. Other than getting a taste of it with Dry Top and Silverwastes, it’ll be fun to see what they do with it in big, sprawling areas with the occasional oasis or what not.

Deserts should have good lighting.

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

I quite enjoy snowy maps (in GW2 & other games in general), in GW2 there are a couple of snowy maps I don’t like, such as Frostgorge, but overall I enjoy the Shiverpeaks maps.

The sets of maps I like least in terms of environment are Orr, and the Ascalon maps, as I don’t enjoy wasteland / barren maps. (probably a large reason why I’ve never been able to get into Fallout, yet love Skyrim).

But the Kryta and Maguma Jungle maps are my favourite as I prefer colourful, lush green, vibrant maps that feel alive. Caledon Forest & Metrica Province in particular have areas in them that feel quite magical and fantasy world like.

I do also enjoy the HoT maps, as they do a great job of portraying the story situation of an inhospitable jungle that’s full of corrupted evil and things trying to kill you.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

I love snowy maps.

Sandy maps? Not so much.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I’m not a big fan of Orr. It’s so…grey.

I like the map design, but not the colour scheme. Whenever I’m doing map completion I have to do those maps in bits because I get tired of seeing the same stuff over and over, so I go somewhere else (or play a different game) for some variety and come back.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

The focus on beige in new maps is really a drag. Snow used to be my least favorite, but it seems everything has been more beige lately, even the jungle maps in HoT.

Posted by: Anela.3867

Anela.3867

I don’t care for the desert lands or dead or destroyed lands. I like green and snowy areas. HoT is beautiful!

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Snowy maps are my favorite! Feels the most like home

Posted by: Halan.7931

Halan.7931

I like most snowy maps.

To me, the worst maps are Kessex Hills, and parts of Harathi/Gendarran. It’s just dirt, centaurs and human architecture. No interesting stories or spectacular views.

Posted by: hugo.4705

hugo.4705

My favorite maps are volcanic / rocky ones and they are a few: Mount Maelstrom and the ring of Fire Islands… I like snowy maps, but they make me feel snowy (understand here sleepy) always seeing white everywhere make me tired…
I detest jungle areas so every HoT maps, but when the jungle is full of monuments like Metrica Province it’s okay.

Join Inquest or Aetherblades that’s a terrible choice!
Please Anet, more underground, more asuran cities!
[TP] Bring back Moto’s boom box!

(edited by hugo.4705)

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

Lol, we do snowy maps with friends every year around Christmas. About 1 or 2 months. Love it!

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Idk why but I like snow maps as well so long as they have some warmer areas with green too. My favorite location to park my characters is Twinspur Haven in Wayfarer Foothills. In GW1 my favorite map to vanq is Tasca’s Demise.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

the snow maps with skyrim ambiance music is just perfect, it’s my favorite part of GW2 and i really don’t have many favorite places. (HoT maps are just horrible, all the jungle themed places are not even worth being called a jungle)

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I’ll take snowy over desert, but perhaps that’s due to me living in a desert?

Really, I just like them to vary up the look within a zone. Dry Top and Silverwastes are too much of the same throughout. And vary up the critters encountered. Sure, have a main enemy(s), but have a spider area, or grawl area, or whatever. And usually they do a good job with that.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

(Snowy maps = least interesting) = not true

I’m a sucker for winter-themed maps, they are among the best maps.

Posted by: ONko.7460

ONko.7460

Nobody here seems to like human areas, so I’ll just jump here and say that I really like them. I kind of feel the empathy towards other humans there and it feels like kingdom. I like defending Nebo terrace, the castles, the trade routes, farms, wineries, etc.

Posted by: Ray Koopa.2354

Ray Koopa.2354

Welp, i agree with OP. they always feel like they make me go blind from all that white and gray, and the dredge are one of the most annoying mobs to me. the ice bears with their pseudo harmonic culture sounding utterly dumb and forced.
I love the maguuma maps, especially the asura ones. it’s like you can always expect another weird asuran genius with a crazy lab around the next corner.

(edited by Ray Koopa.2354)

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Welp, i agree with OP. they always feel like they make me go blind

Maybe you need to adjust your monitor settings. Playing at 100% brightness is unhealthy for your eyes.