in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Budchgon.2108

Budchgon.2108

Lyssia Iceblood of Gandara – I sometimes win… but not often :-(

So, BS Thief not overpowered in WvWvW?

Posted by: Kacigarka.5176

Kacigarka.5176

No its not overpowered its nice video but all you show us is you zerging someone 1v1 instantly.

Based on what I see you are full glass canon build with 10k hp. You would also last 2 secs if someone with high damage attacked you like this, no matter what class

Posted by: Thomassassinate.9370

Thomassassinate.9370

No class is op imo.

Let me present you the real definition of overpowered professions.

Guy dies to different profession character: Omg op op nerf it!

Guy kills a different profession character: Get a better profession bro.

Guy gets killed by same profession: Get a life nerd!

Guy kills same profession: L2p bro you suck.

Thats the definition of op.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I find it fascinating that the naysayers who claim that these classes aren’t op play those two classes themselves. Yeah that’s unbiased.

Let me bring it into perspective for you. So long as only two classes can 1-2 shot people, there will be imbalance. All classes need the ability to do that and so far I’m not seeing it. If an outsider can see the imbalance then there’s definitely an imbalance because I’m not posting because someone killed me or because I play that class in pvp and want to keep the power going for the class, I’m posting because I know this is one of the major problems. It’s not the class it’s that they allowed only two classes this setup in the game. That’s what’s op about it and that’s the imbalance.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Budchgon.2108

Budchgon.2108

Not me in the vid … i have a cond thief and warrior (lev 55) not a BS thief

This video is just to show what people are talking about when they scream ‘Thief OP’ etc …

Lyssia Iceblood of Gandara – I sometimes win… but not often :-(

Posted by: infrequentia.3465

infrequentia.3465

all i saw was a glass cannon atking glass cannon with medium,light gear
nop not op.
just what you expect from atking LOW armor proffs.
i have yet to see a thief being able to back stab me ( mes) and live to tell about it

“If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried.”

Posted by: Splody.2640

Splody.2640

Sry but i saw nothing special about it, most of the guys you killed werent in level 80, and also didnt even use any revelant skill when they could. I’d like to see you trying that on me for instance

Also on that elementalist kill, the phoenix did 4k damage on you, whch is quite alot. You wouldnt last more than 5 secs agaisnt my elementalist, even if you were invisible.

Never had any troubles with thieves, never died to one on a 1v1 fight, and most of them either die at my feet, or just run away with invi and then logout/waypoint.

(edited by Splody.2640)

Posted by: Gab Superstar.4059

Gab Superstar.4059

I find it fascinating that the naysayers who claim that these classes aren’t op play those two classes themselves. Yeah that’s unbiased.

Let me bring it into perspective for you. So long as only two classes can 1-2 shot people, there will be imbalance. All classes need the ability to do that and so far I’m not seeing it. If an outsider can see the imbalance then there’s definitely an imbalance because I’m not posting because someone killed me or because I play that class in pvp and want to keep the power going for the class, I’m posting because I know this is one of the major problems. It’s not the class it’s that they allowed only two classes this setup in the game. That’s what’s op about it and that’s the imbalance.

Yeah. And every class needs the ability to portal teams into keeps. And every class needs the health pool of a warrior. And every class needs the boon upkeep of a guardian. And every class needs the conditions of a necro. And every class needs the…

See where I am going?

EDIT: Also, not a very good or interesting video, sorry.

Very Good Detectives [VGD]
Devonas Rest 4 lyfe

Posted by: Kain.9127

Kain.9127

Glass cannon thieves can come jump fully exotic soldier geared, defense specced guards and kill them in under 2 seconds. I fail to see how there ISN’T something wrong with that.

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

The only real issue I have with them is because of the way the game is built, they can pretty much have perma stealth. That makes them OP.

infrequentia.3465

Glass cannon thieves can come jump fully exotic soldier geared, defense specced guards and kill them in under 2 seconds. I fail to see how there ISN’T something wrong with that.

they can’t,
and you can see a Back stab thief coming from miles, dodge at his shadow step, and gone is his combo and you got yourself a kill cause it only has 10k and no defence,
where is the op part? 1 dodge and its dead, that gaurd with soldier gear? you can keep dodgin but he won’t die

Posted by: Seren.6850

Seren.6850

Ive had these bs thieves jump my 3 characters multiple times, my 27k hp tank warrior gets hit by backstab for 2-4k , after this full combo I am back to full hp by popping my shout heals and not even using my heal, at this point thieves run away.

Guardian should have aegis up when you roaming around, that pretty much screws up this combo, never been insta killed by a thief on my guardian who has 1500 toughness or something.

Mesmer, backstabs thieves are just plain scared of mesmers. Nothing more entertaining than shattering a thief and watching them kill themselves on confusion.

SoS original -“They mostly come out at night … mostly”
[FIRE] Serene Snow, Warrior

Posted by: darghe.3072

darghe.3072

As a Guardian I would just pop my retaliation. After a thief would finally crash through 7 blocks he almost killed himself. And every block stacks burning on him. Please dont try this, thieves.

infrequentia.3465

now these 2 get it, bs thiefs are nothing to be scared of.
so can we stop the hate on thiefs now?
as most of us already explained we are NOT thiefs, and we know how to counter such a simple gimmicky set up.
move along

Posted by: Silver.8023

Silver.8023

Backstab Thieves are as gimmicky as Greatsword Warriors. However, they’re designed this way and for either of them to frontload so much damage, they really do sacrifice a lot of survivability. With a few simple things such as dodging at the right time, condition removal and popping the odd stun break, you can counter them pretty easily. I wouldn’t say they’re overpowered, they’re quite effective in the right hands, yes, but so is anything else.

Silver Stormshield – Guardian
Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

lol if I was a thief I would be furious this video was made. It gets a lot harder to argue against the incoming nerfs when those things exist =D

Silver.8023

The other thing is, we’re only seeing the successful kills and zero deaths in this video. There were probably far more failed attempts than successful ones.

Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Mister Mustard.7203

Mister Mustard.7203

Since he mainly blew up underleveled folks, it’s really not the best argument. But one part did bother me. When he jumped off the ledge to go after that Asura, which he attacked when he had like 10% health, NO one should feel comfortable going into a fight with 10% health, against sub-80’s or not.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

I’m surprised you could tolerate this kind of gameplay for more than 5 minutes.

Steal, C&D, Backstab.

I would of been bored in 30 seconds.

Posted by: Coffeebot.3921

Coffeebot.3921

What’s OP is the fact that the dude in the video got an exotic drop, nothing more.
Also, montage typed videos don’t prove anything, nor do they show anything, for all we know the thief in the video could have had a KDR of 1-10, which is the nature of montage videos.

More information: 17 total kills, 8 of which were up-leveled characters.

Fornicate like you’ve never fornicated before.
I am anti-censorship, for it doesn’t make sense to pander to a minority.

(edited by Coffeebot.3921)

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Steal, C&D, Backstab.

Most thieves did get bored of it and are now playing S/D and other Secret builds. It’s only the disgruntled rangers that rerolled that are running these backstab builds.

I went the opposite way, I got bored of how little options we had as thieves so I rolled a Sword Ranger.

(edited by Elthurien.8356)

Posted by: Harbinger.8637

Harbinger.8637

Guardians are op! No, but seriously the more I play the more I realize how balanced the game is. Sure there are some tweaks that need to be made to certain abilities and builds. But overall there’s nothing that screams op and breaks the game.

Guardian WvW Guide!
Heavens Rage

Posted by: Awe.1096

Awe.1096

Steal, C&D, Backstab.

The example you provide is perhaps a bit extreme but to address your point, I for one get bored with the opposite kind of gameplay. The most boring playstyle in GW2 for me is bunker play. Which sadly is the dominant meta in tPvP and recently also more and more in sPvP. You just sit there like a rock, tanking all that comes at you and slowly wearing down you enemy by poking him with a hammer. I enjoy the high-risk-high-reward playstyle much more. Which is why the current state of the game (go bunker or die) is worrying me.

Posted by: rogerwilko.6895

rogerwilko.6895

killing lowbies and glass cannons. typical thief. crap movie, thumb down.

Posted by: Distaste.4801

Distaste.4801

Yeah. And every class needs the ability to portal teams into keeps. And every class needs the health pool of a warrior. And every class needs the boon upkeep of a guardian. And every class needs the conditions of a necro. And every class needs the…

See where I am going?

All classes need to have access to equal damage since they all do damage. Obviously we divide that damage into two categories of melee and ranged, so a melee necromancer needs to have access to the same DPS to a melee thief has and that is by far not the case.

As for health pools being the same. You better believe that needs balanced out. There is zero logical explanation as to why a warrior has max health and armor when they also have the best damage. Set everyone at 15k hp and make all armor types available to all classes but with pros/cons attached to them.

Every class has the conditions of necros, actually most classes have way better conditions than necros. The only thing unique about a necro is their ability to transfer conditions.

I play a thief and their burst damage is incredibly stupid(OP). 90% of the time you’re fighting against an unskilled thief and they are still a HUGE threat. Now there are builds that can beat a good thief, but if you are caught midfight or have one of your must have skills on cooldown, you’re probably going to die. Comparing my thiefs d/d damage to my necro’s d/d damage is like night a day. The best I can muster on my necro is 4-5k siphon on a 12s cooldown where my thief can do 4-6k easy on a heartseeker that can be spammed 4 times in a row(iirc). Even using all skills 1-5 I won’t equal the damage from 2 heartseekers let alone 3-4. I know you’re going to say the necro gets more health and DS so that makes up for the damage, but it truly doesn’t. Thieves get stealth, medium armor, and tons of dodge/evade, those more than make up with DS and higher health provide, but they get a ton more damage as well.

Classes and builds need balanced. Anyone who think it’s balanced just because a thief can be killed is delusional. The same goes for the 100b skill. It has far unbalanced damage yet people call it balanced because it can be dodged. Well then give every class a 1hit kill ability and because it can be dodge it’s balanced. See how stupid that sounds? No skill in this game should kill the lowest health class if they don’t dodge, that’s just stupid instagib gameplay that only frustrates people. Every fight should be a chess match and the loser is the one who constantly uses the wrong skills, not a single skill.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

well that’s just ridiculous… This reminds me of early assassin Shadow Prison builds which were later nerfed to the ground. So enjoy your 3 hit kills for another month or two.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: NightyNight.1823

NightyNight.1823

Didn’t read all the previous posts but I don’t have too.
No its not OP .
They had plenty of time to break out of stun and fight back.Or see her comming long before she was close to them.Its not like she was perma stealthed.Learn to play.

Posted by: Grizledorf.5290

Grizledorf.5290

dude your video is garbage, an equipped thief killing under geared, up scaled green arrowed players is nothing to boast about.

tigirius.9014

See where I am going?

just another one of the thieves or warriors posting. you were the only one going there not me, still not convincing sorry.

The truth on the other hand….

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

Backstab is easy to play when people don’t see you coming.

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

See where I am going?

just another one of the thieves or warriors posting. you were the only one going there not me, still not convincing sorry.

I take it you’ve never seen a D/D ele?

tigirius.9014

See where I am going?

I take it you’ve never seen a D/D ele?

Never seen any other class 2 shot anyone other then thief or warrior.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Yeah, I never really had trouble with thieves. How do I put it, they’re more of like a pest then OP. Most of them are play very cowardly and their burst damage hurts themselves more % wise then it hurts me. In fact, most of the time I just wait for for a thieve to try backstab me knockback, stun bam bam, either they’re almost dead and they invis off or I have downed them . Lately though I’ve grown an interest at knocking them off edges in JP puzzle. I find d/d eles much harder to deal with.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

As I love to say in these situations:

Dear Anet: Paper is fine, Rock is overpowered, yours Scissors

Replace Rock,Paper,Scissors as needed

Silver.8023

Every class has the conditions of necros, actually most classes have way better conditions than necros.

I’m going to take a wild guess and say you’ve not played Guardian much then?…

Also, awesome video Harbinger, is that you playing? That build looks a lot like my kind of style, solid damage, good support and tankier than a truck!

Kaimoon Blade – Warrior
Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

This video pisses me off, that thief got an exotic drop from an invader. With 6k WvW kills I have never gotten an exotic. Clearly thief is OP in it’s ability to force people to drop exotics.

maddoctor.2738

This video pisses me off, that thief got an exotic drop from an invader. With 6k WvW kills I have never gotten an exotic. Clearly thief is OP in it’s ability to force people to drop exotics.

Maybe he stole it from his victim?

Posted by: Xavori.3768

Xavori.3768

Never seen any other class 2 shot anyone other then thief or warrior.

My ranger can one shot the thief in the video.

In fact, put 5 of those thieves in a bunch, and I’ll kill them all in one half of one barrage. Well, I would if the thieves would be kind enough to stand in the barrage long enough for half of the damage to hit them. I’m guessing they’ll move, tho

My warrior and thief can also one shot the thief. My mesmer would just laugh and laugh as the thief dealt with a never ending stream of clones while I ducked in and out of stealth (cuz hey, if stealth is good for the goose…). My elementalist…wait…no thief in their right mind fights a dagger/dagger elementalist, so that fight would never happen. My guardian can live through the burst, and hence, the thief will likely run away. My engineer would die because she used to be a grenade engy which meant she didn’t want to be in the open anyway, and post-nerf, she’s pretty much just parked at a nice chest for once a day goodies.

My necro, well, finally we get to a fight the thief might win. I say might as a bunker marks/wells necro can survive the burst, and since every attack is AoE, the thief is going to have to do some fancy stepping. Now, if the thief was pistol/dagger shadows, then sure, thief wins in a landslide since shadow thieves are impossible to stack conditions on. But that’s a burst thief, and hence, prolly not that interested in fighting things that might get to fight back.

That last bit’s the important part. That video was full of thief v squishy stuff and then run because that thief is really, really deadly for a few seconds, and then really, really vulnerable for the next 20-30.

Hey I just met you – And this is crazy –
But here’s my body – So rez me maybe?

Tolmos.8395

Didn’t read all the previous posts but I don’t have too.
No its not OP .
They had plenty of time to break out of stun and fight back.Or see her comming long before she was close to them.Its not like she was perma stealthed.Learn to play.

It took her less than 2 seconds to take players from standing at 100% HP to downed state. <2 seconds. How do you figure that’s balanced? 0_o

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

As I love to say in these situations:

Dear Anet: Paper is fine, Rock is overpowered, yours Scissors

Replace Rock,Paper,Scissors as needed

not the case….

The issue is not being able to react.
Its not PvE, opponent should be able to react so even his skill is taken in account to determine the result of a fight.

Stealth (in the vid instead mobility) + 1 second kills keeps the game unidirectional…

Thief can screw positioning and approaching, but if he does it corrrectly he will kill most builds disregarding the skill of the user (i.e. noob or pro doesn t matter expecially on some builds).

That is the problem.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Tolmos.8395

Tbh, even if the devs don’t look at this video and say “thieves need to be nerfed”, the video will still balance the game. I can promise you the thief population jumped after this video was made =D eventually we will all run thieves and the game will be 100% balanced!

maddoctor.2738

Thief can screw positioning and approaching, but if he does it corrrectly he will kill most builds disregarding the skill of the user (i.e. noob or pro doesn t matter expecially on some builds).

That is the problem.

I made a suggestion a long time ago to add “stat caps” in the game. That, in my opinion, is the best way to solve any imbalance issues without nerfing/buffing individual skills, the real problem is “stacking” as Power/Precision/whatever can stack to infinity, leading to lots of imbalances, Ascended gear, with higher numbers, will make this even worse.

Posted by: Tysefol.2017

Tysefol.2017

I would be ok with Thief’s damage if they just couldn’t escape once they get the kill. Or if they fail.

Quoting RaggokOozo, a guardian I fully respect : " I think it is total cheese that a thief can reset a fight like this and regain full health so they can try again. They can reset the fight if they make a mistake or if things don’t go their way and just try again and keep trying until their opponent makes a mistake or they execute their attack perfectly."

Link to the quote : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvn_d5WII48

Posted by: Maldraxis.2406

Maldraxis.2406

No no, it should be labelled “Thief is OP.”

A lvl 1 thief with the white starting dagger can hit for 1k, could you do that on a mesmer? a warrior ?

a lvl 80 with a balanced build will find it hard to hit for 1k+ ( i said balanced build morons, look it up … yeah I had to repeat myself because I am well aware of the general IQ of this game’s population )

How much does a lvl 80 thief hit for ? Surely anything below 4k is shameful by thief standards right ? “Oh but they’re glass cannon builds” yeah warriors used to have that luxury of glass cannon and greatswords, but Arena Net nerfed them into the dust. Not the thief though, oh no, you don’t mess with thief class unless you wanna get banned, or have your posts in the forums deleted like Arena net has / does.

Wake up guys, the Arena net staff doesn’t care what we have to say, you’d probably have more success convincing Blizzard to fix Diablo 3.
( I should make that my signature lol )

Posted by: ndrangles.5183

ndrangles.5183

yesterday in EB i killed the same backstab thief twice with my farming alt – a ranger in full MF gear. MF ranger is so OP.

Majyyks [Os] – NSP

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

This is not an FPS, players should not be near-insta-gibbing each other.

I have a thief, I would much rather they nerfed BS and gave the class better support and utility.

downed state is bad for PVP

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Generally all classes have a tool to completely negate burst – once you know how to do it, it’s pretty simple to stall a Thief or anyone else on a spike build.
Of course if you don’t see it coming, any burst build (including those of Ele, Engi, Warrior, Ranger, Mesmer and Guardian) will most likely kill you or put you in a sticky situation.

Nothing is OP 1vs1 if you see it coming and you know how to negate a burst.
Everything is OP 1vs1 if you don’t see it coming or you don’t know how to negate a burst.

That’s how GW2 works, the spike builds are great against people with lazy reaction times or poor understanding of the game.

Posted by: Monkeymonger.9235

Monkeymonger.9235

I believe that the discussion should be about burst damage in general, not thieves in particular. The problem is also that the most popular current burst builds are coupled with the greatest mobility (with the exception of shatter mesmers, who only have stealth and blink).
If you run a pure glass cannon build there should be a sense of dread, not the certainty of e.g. shadow refuge, shadow step, infiltrators arrow.

On a sidenote: there is a enormous number of thieves roaming wvw whose skills is abysmal. What i’d like to see is not another “epic killing spree thief.” video, but a fail compilation. e.g. “look at this guy: using all his initiative while standing in a well of darkness”

Posted by: Calsifer.6079

Calsifer.6079

Good luck in a zerg. You’ll need it.

Ninja Stokk – Thief. CD.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

This is not an FPS, players should not be near-insta-gibbing each other.

I have a thief, I would much rather they nerfed BS and gave the class better support and utility.

GW2 (like GW1) has spike builds to test the player’s reaction time skills.
Removing this would pretty much remove the action element from GW2; we don’t need another boring MMO where the surprise effect, knowing the surroundings and the environment have no effect and one can play half-afk without worrying too much.