So, First Person View...

So, First Person View...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: HellBlade.1864

HellBlade.1864

I really wish there was a simple First Person View in this game, i don’t mean a full on ESO-like FPV, but more like any other mmo where you can just zoom in, your character disappear and you can take screenshots or even make machinima.

I don’t know much about developing, but i noticed that if you place your character against a wall the camera zoom in and you become transpararent.At least as a player, it seems like the camera already works like that, you just need to increase the limit so you can zoom close to your character.

Could a dev give me some insight into this?I’m interested about why there isn’t that option in the game.

So, First Person View...

Posted by: Tim.6450

Tim.6450

I know it isn’t usable for every situation but you can take a screenshot without the character by using emotes (I use sleep) before hiding the UI. It limits the angles you can take such pictures and sometimes you have to go naked (since you would see parts of the armor) but the characater is off screen. The attachments show some examples of such pictures.

Attachments:

EverythingOP

So, First Person View...

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Limited Vision

I’ve seen “immersion” given as a reason for not having a first-person view, and there are elements of the UI, including the appearance of the character, that are important for knowing what is going on.

The developers haven’t shown much interest in offering first-person view, but there are several situations that routinely occur where the game would be much more playable than it is now if first-person view was available to players.

I wouldn’t use it all the time, but in tight interior spaces, areas where the camera zoom is extremely “pumpy” (and there are a LOT of them) and where the character model blocking the view is a serious problem (such as jumping puzzles, which is where the camera offset slider can be even more deadly), there’s nothing else that will do.

In other words, I would love to see first-person view added to the game, but I’ve wanted it since beta, and I doubt we’ll be seeing it anytime soon.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

So, First Person View...

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I know there was an option for first person view, but it never made the cut to the final version (you can find screenshots on google). I also know I have seen either a screenshot or a YouTube video also containing the option for first person view, somewhere around the time the Edge of the Mist was introduced (somewhere during the beta’s….)

So, First Person View...

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

Well, immersion about seeing your character.

But then again First-Person View would be excellent for admiring the scenery and take clean screenshots of it…
Including that you can take screenshots of combat area, without needing to set up…

Hopefully ANet comes around of it and add First person view…

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

So, First Person View...

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

I know it isn’t usable for every situation but you can take a screenshot without the character by using emotes (I use sleep) before hiding the UI. It limits the angles you can take such pictures and sometimes you have to go naked (since you would see parts of the armor) but the characater is off screen. The attachments show some examples of such pictures.

“Get up!! This is no time to be lying around…and why are you naked!?”

“SHUTUP! I’m taking pictures.”

So, First Person View...

Posted by: Kartel.2561

Kartel.2561

Just another example of something they DID have in GW1 that they have done away with. Another example of things that should have been in place since day one and now 2yrs later, to tremendous disappointment, is still lacking. I think this is a valuable and important feature. Not fitting for every situation, but extremely fitting for others ..and it’s an option that we should have. I play other games periodically that have it, and it gets used frequently.

And “immersion”? What a bunch of kitten. My character’s head taking up 60% of the screen in tight areas or anytime I just want to have a closer look at my environment is not immersive.

Guild: Everlasting Sacred Path [ESP]
Server: Tarnished Coast

So, First Person View...

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

No one can conceive of reason not to have limited situation, PvE-only first-person.

Whether its not while moving or not while in combat, it’d do well for screenshots anyway.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

So, First Person View...

Posted by: Leodious.5671

Leodious.5671

They had first person view in the beta, and it worked beautifully. Then they took it out, because it wasn’t polished enough.

The lack of first person view is the most terrible omission, and one of the only truly bad things about the game. The worst part is that I know they could do it, and have it function exactly as I want it to, exactly as it does in many other games, in which you simply move the camera to a certain position, and your character model turns invisible. It is very upsetting that this “unpolished” feature isn’t even available as an option for those who want it.

It doesn’t stop me from playing the game, which is wonderful in most other aspects, but I do lament the lack during every single play session. Every one.

So, First Person View...

Posted by: blpblpaa.1869

blpblpaa.1869

It would be nice to have the option.

So, First Person View...

Posted by: AnniMira.2506

AnniMira.2506

This has been discussed earlier. Anet person summarized all camera related wishes nicely. FPV was one in the list. Check posts from 2014 July or August. No promises made.

(And there is no reason to limit its use to PvE.)

So, First Person View...

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

While I wouldn’t object, I’d rather the software engineers first worked on other issues that I find have an impact on my enjoyment of the game — like a particle FX slider.

So, First Person View...

Posted by: wdsparrow.1362

wdsparrow.1362

I talked 3 people into buying the game with me only to find it doesn’t have first person view and now I’m very angry because it’s the only view I play in. Every time I want to look in front of my body is blocking me. This is truely inexcusable.

So, First Person View...

Posted by: MrWubzy.3587

MrWubzy.3587

While I wouldn’t object, I’d rather the software engineers first worked on other issues that I find have an impact on my enjoyment of the game — like a particle FX slider.

I would DEFINITELY love to have this, especially for zergs and world bosses.

As for the OP, I would also like to have FPV for screenshots. It’d be kind of nice not to /sleep when I feel like taking a limited angle screenie. But as stated above it probably isn’t very high on their list of things to do in the near future.

| Biyx [Guardian] ; Aika Vonelli [Ranger] |
| Proud roleplayer! |
| Biyx’s All-For-Nothing Challenge |

So, First Person View...

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Just use a transformation tonic. The Silverwastes Mordremoth ones – thrasher, husk, etc- are good. When you zoom in morphed using those, you don’t see your body. It’s basically first person view. I use it for screen shots when I don’t want my toons body in shot. Works well.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

So, First Person View...

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

My guess is that they wanted actual first person and they are holding any limited first person until they get the first person they want.

I’d rather just have first person just while out of combat to be able to take some screenshots than wait until there’s a full first person mode.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

So, First Person View...

Posted by: Lindelle.3718

Lindelle.3718

Ive never felt I needed first person or use it in other games, as it tends to make me motion sick. I do genuinely wonder though, as I know jack about this stuff…. wouldnt first person be awful for dodging or seeing aoe circles and stuff? I can understamd it in other games but trying to imagine fpv in this one see is difficult.

Lindelle Ulfsvitr – Norn Ranger
“Walk with the pack. In the eyes of Wolf, we are all brothers and sisters.”

So, First Person View...

Posted by: curtixman.5740

curtixman.5740

If you think this is annoying you really have no idea till you experience Guild Wars 2 in 3D. This game is so beautiful and is one of the best optimized games for 3D released to date. Except for one thing;
No first person view. It absolutely destroyed the game for the 3D end user..
It’s such a pity.
Arena Net is so overly concerned about their pretty art that they missed an entire demographic.
I cannot adequately put to words how incredible this game would be in 3D were it not for the fact that I am staring at the back of my character the whole time.
It’s a absolute shame.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xXKhUWcQsVM