So I ended up on the GW1 wiki emote page...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Baconomics.8674

Baconomics.8674

Emote – GW1 wiki

…And if I counted correctly that is 58 different emotes. Pretty much three times what we have in GW2.

I want to be able to facepalm, flex, high five, play an air guitar, and even kittening play rock paper scissors. Now I’m going to be sad whenever I use an emote and think how much more I could be expressing myself with fancy animations instead of lametown words.

:(

Posted by: Leohart.4610

Leohart.4610

?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I blame all the people who asked for multiple races. Same goes for the lack of armor! Furries and munchkins ruining everything. /fistshake

Posted by: Andulias.9516

Andulias.9516

I blame all the people who asked for multiple races. Same goes for the lack of armor! Furries and munchkins ruining everything. /fistshake

No, I am sorry, but I never understood this logic. Basically all MMOs have multiple races and also TIMES more emotes.

I agree with the OP, the amount of emotes in GW2 is pitiful and was one of my first disappointments when I started playing the game. Sure, it’s not a big deal or a game breaker, but emotes really help me immerse myself in the game and I actually use them constantly. Or used to in other games, in GW 2 aside from the occasional wave at a guildie…

Posted by: flarezi.9381

flarezi.9381

We demand more dance styles! … please?

Posted by: Erik the Dauntless.4063

Erik the Dauntless.4063

Well I certainly am all for more emotes in this game… But A-net seems to be only interested in E-sports pvp and raids now.
And since more emotes doesn’t add anything to both of those… i wouldn’t count on it. Maybe somewhere in the future in the gem store where you can buy them…. for 200 gems a piece.
Maybe they’ll let us buy back the original spelleffects for our characters too…

Sorry i’m that bitter at the moment … i upvoted your post OP

Khisanth.2948

No, I am sorry, but I never understood this logic. Basically all MMOs have multiple races and also TIMES more emotes.

I agree with the OP, the amount of emotes in GW2 is pitiful and was one of my first disappointments when I started playing the game. Sure, it’s not a big deal or a game breaker, but emotes really help me immerse myself in the game and I actually use them constantly. Or used to in other games, in GW 2 aside from the occasional wave at a guildie…

I don’t actually care about this one way or the other but I guess it’s hard to tell with just text(maybe they should add some emotes to the forums :P). One major difference between GW2 and some of the other games is that the different races using different skeletons. If they used the same skeleton it wouldn’t matter if there was 1 or 100 races.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

There were only two animation rigs in GW1, male and female.

There are five times as many in GW2 (possibly minus one as norn and human females seem to have almost identical proportions.)

Not only that, Anet seems to like to give racial flavor for emotes in GW2m so that’s more than just retargeting and tweaking curves to fit the new skeletons. Given my professional experience (I do this kind of stuff for my job) I’d say that doing any character animation in GW2 is about ten times as work intensive as doing the same in GW1, given the race-focused art direction and wider variety of animation rigs.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Many of those are alternate commands for the same emote.

And ALL of them are recognized by GW2.

When you input an invalid command, you get a red message. With those, you get nothing. Not chat line, no movement, no error.

So they are recognized commands that do nothing.

In any case, there’s 3 emotes we NEED in GW2. Not want, not “it would be nice to have”. We NEED them. We have a true, real and physically recognizable NEED for them:

• /doh
  • /fistshake
  • /shoo

We must have them, whatever it takes.

There were only two animation rigs in GW1, male and female.[…]

No. there were 10. Each profession-gender combination had its own emotes. A male necromancer didn’t dance like a female necromancer, and a female mesmer didn’t dance like a female elementalist. While a few emotes were shared for the same gender across professions, not all of them were.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Maybe somewhere in the future in the gem store where you can buy them…. for 200 gems a piece.

Probably more like one emote bundled with several unwanted boosters for the low, low price of 2000 Gems.

/pout

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

PopeUrban.2578

Many of those are alternate commands for the same emote.

And ALL of them are recognized by GW2.

When you input an invalid command, you get a red message. With those, you get nothing. Not chat line, no movement, no error.

So they are recognized commands that do nothing.

In any case, there’s 3 emotes we NEED in GW2. Not want, not “it would be nice to have”. We NEED them. We have a true, real and physically recognizable NEED for them:

• /doh
  • /fistshake
  • /shoo

We must have them, whatever it takes.

There were only two animation rigs in GW1, male and female.[…]

No. there were 10. Each profession-gender combination had its own emotes. A male necromancer didn’t dance like a female necromancer, and a female mesmer didn’t dance like a female elementalist. While a few emotes were shared for the same gender across professions, not all of them were.

A large number of them were however. Only /dance was truly unique. Most other emotes were shared across at least two or more classes, or were class neutral. Also, (someone at arenanet could correct me here) but it seemed that GW1 characters were vertex animated once they hit the game engine, which means those animations were “baked” on to the model. Vertex animation is nice because it’s very easy to tweak animation sequences, but most modern games use a live skeletal system because you can’t really blend vertex animation properly. This is why animations in GW1 didn’t interpolate various body parts or transition smoothly in to one another.

There were two rigs. That has nothing to do with how animations were assigned. An animation rig is a combination of bones and vertex weights that control what actually happens to the weighted model when you play the animation. Thus, you can use the same animation data set for /flute on a male ranger or necro, but you can’t simple plug in the same jump animation for a human male and a charr male without making some pretty time consuming adjustements due to a different number of bones, different reference poses and base kittenotations, etc.

Sort of how, if you have a watchknight tonic, you’re using the same rig as a human female, so it becomes very easy to just re-use the human female emotes. You couldn’t, however, just use the charr or asura female emotes on that rig and expect them to look right.

Does that make more sense?

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory

Posted by: vonbladewing.5973

vonbladewing.5973

Omg i hate that i have a BS in digital media and animation…. you guys are killing me
So in gw 1 there just one rig for both male and female since there no gender rig requirements like breast giggle and stuff like that you can have over 100000+ animations just saved in different files per animation its the coding that kills it. You need to every animation in the game with player command and constraints

For gw there 3 rigs for playable race human+sylv+norn is 1 char is a 2nd and asura 3rd those ears man i feel bad for the coder that had to code that. But since most of the animations emotes posture legs and arms movement then it should not be a problem for the animator if it was face animation then yeah that would take allot of time. The reason why i think anet did not add more emotes is that it takes allot of time from going from pre animation to import.

Sorry about spelling

Captain Commander of a Sky Edge Piracy

PopeUrban.2578

Omg i hate that i have a BS in digital media and animation…. you guys are killing me
So in gw 1 there just one rig for both male and female since there no gender rig requirements like breast giggle and stuff like that you can have over 100000+ animations just saved in different files per animation its the coding that kills it. You need to every animation in the game with player command and constraints

For gw there 3 rigs for playable race human+sylv+norn is 1 char is a 2nd and asura 3rd those ears man i feel bad for the coder that had to code that. But since most of the animations emotes posture legs and arms movement then it should not be a problem for the animator if it was face animation then yeah that would take allot of time. The reason why i think anet did not add more emotes is that it takes allot of time from going from pre animation to import.

Sorry about spelling

Actually if you looked closely, the male/female GW1 rigs were different. Specifically, different bone lengths around the hips/shoulders for males and females, and significantly longer legs on females.

Also, breast jiggle is usually accomplished via physics simulation, not by baking in a bunch of different animations.

That said, I wouldn’t dream of saying ‘we don’t need more emotes ever’

I’d love more emotes. It’s just important for people to understand that, in terms of actually implementing both the technical requirements and the art direction that each emote is significantly more work in GW2 than GW1.

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Posted by: vonbladewing.5973

vonbladewing.5973

Here please learn before you talk…
https://youtu.be/fpU1yqsT8_A
https://youtu.be/bY8FoU_1iX0

i forgot to add skin painting to the last post
Ill talk about that if anybody wants me to

Captain Commander of a Sky Edge Piracy

PopeUrban.2578

Biped is a nice setup for a quick rig if you don’t have a lot of time, but honestly it lacks a lot of functionality that you’re getting from an event driven system built from scratch via constraints and the raction manager. Biped’s foot controllers, specifically, are atrocious.

These days, most people build the rig specifically for the project in AAA settings where there aren’t budget constraints that require the faster and cheaper but less accurate prebuilt rigging from something like biped.

Biped still rocks for quick mocap interpolation though.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Yeah, it’s been a depressing realization since day 1 of GW2. Sadly it’ll probably never be expanded and even if it was it’d most likely be through some silly gem store bundle like the How2Dance stuff.

I used /flex the most. useful for everything. But GW2 is a no flex zone.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Selkirk.4218

Selkirk.4218

the game definitely needs more emotes. i came from everquest 2 with so many emotes -gw2 just feels flat.

to those that say the modeling is too hard (they think everything about the game is too hard to design)…check out the emotes from black desert https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b35RCKUj1aU . this is a modern game and they have zero problems animating their models…but gw2 is stuck at the same point since release.

Posted by: OneYenShort.3189

OneYenShort.3189

/fistshake

Error. Unknown command.

Posted by: TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

TheFrighteningFrenchFry.3275

I agree, since asura>all other races, asura should be the only race. That would teach all those bookahs !!!

Necro>warrior confirmed ty nemesis for single handedly saving the gw2 community!!

/s

Posted by: Mango.1845

Mango.1845

/agree
Dancing in GW1 was great, dancing in GW2 is …

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

/agree
Dancing in GW1 was great, dancing in GW2 is …

While I agree that the dancing in Guild Wars 1 was pretty good, I totally ROCK the Asuran golem dance!

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

Not going to happen, unfortunately. ArenaNet does not have the time or resources to do this. They’re focusing on LS3 and the next raid wings. After 3 years and no changes to small things like this, it’s safe to say it will never happen. I gave up on emotes a long time ago. I don’t even use them anymore because of it. ArenaNet knows this, that’s why they won’t dedicate resources to something that most players probably don’t use. Remember that the RP community is very small and is very much a niche player base.

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

Posted by: Mogrey.3891

Mogrey.3891

https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Emote

would like to see more emotes.i know they can add more.

i’m a poor and lonesome ranger.
Mogrey Norn Ranger [DS]

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The most important reason to have new emotes: more options for the Mad King to fake us out. Aside from that, while I would welcome new emotes, I’d far prefer to get new skills, skins, and effects, which are presumably the product of the same set of designers/programmers/QA.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Selkirk.4218

Selkirk.4218

Not going to happen, unfortunately. ArenaNet does not have the time or resources to do this. They’re focusing on LS3 and the next raid wings. After 3 years and no changes to small things like this, it’s safe to say it will never happen. I gave up on emotes a long time ago. I don’t even use them anymore because of it. ArenaNet knows this, that’s why they won’t dedicate resources to something that most players probably don’t use. Remember that the RP community is very small and is very much a niche player base.

yeah i have to agree. the creative people seem to have left and what we have now is a caretaker crew (running holiday events..trying not to mess up core game). i don’t think they could add anything to the game if they wanted to (and i don’t think they want to try ).

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

I’ve been waiting for /guitar, /flute, and /drums for three years. I was sad when the first Halloween rolled around in 2012 without the Mad King being able to command us to play music for him.

More dances would be fun, as would some of the previously mentioned emotes (e.g. /shoo). This game has such great visuals, a little fun in the form of emotes, something available in heaps in practically every MMO, here and there would be nice.

Khisanth.2948

Speaking of a lack of emotes and raids … does Vale Guardian seem a bit lifeless to anyone else?

Posted by: Extreme.8350

Extreme.8350

Gw1 also had a cool dance for every class and gender while in gw2 there is one boring one for each race. Best one is the Sylvania dance imo.

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

My life will be complete when my Necromancer can dance to Thriller again.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

More dance emotes would be nice.

In GW1 you had 10 professions and 2 genders. Each gender would have a different dance for each profession, for a total of 20 different dance styles. Then you had the collector’s edition dances for ritualists, assassins, paragons, and dervishes, which was basically their standard dance with an added special effect, for a total of 8 more dances. Grand total of 28 dances in GW1.

In GW2 profession and gender doesn’t matter. Your dance style is based on your race. Males and females dance exactly the same for each race, regardless of profession. Grand total of 5 dances in GW2.

And of course a ton of other emotes that aren’t available in GW2. I would love to use the ‘/boo’ emote, especially ‘/boo @’ while targeting another player so it says something like I startled them and made them wet their pants.

To be honest it is a bit annoying having to type out emotes every time. It would be nice if there was a button on the chat window that would give us a list of available emotes that we could select which would make our characters do it automatically. It’s a pain when doing ‘Mad King Says’ during the halloween event and you misspell a word or can’t type it fast enough and fail.

There’s something charming about rangers.