So, I got hacked.

So, I got hacked.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: LordChoobaka.1496

LordChoobaka.1496

Alright. So the other day, I checked my email, and got a wonderful message from ArenaNet that someone had tried to access my account without my consent. They kindly gave me the IP, and tracked it down to a place in China. What do I do next? Well, obviously I change my password, but then I do this:

http://i.imgur.com/uZ7OMuo.png

Now I know where they live. Too bad I can’t do anything about it…

So, I got hacked.

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

So, I got hacked.

someone had tried to access my account without my consent.

Oh noez!

But seriously – keep a solid password, don’t share it with anyone, don’t use it for other things than the game. That’s all you need for account protection.

So, I got hacked.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Lol what did you expect to do against a Chinese hacker even if you got the exact street address? Call the US army and tell them there’s oil in his house?

Just change your password and hope it dont happen again (even then you got the email verification that blocked it like this time).

So, I got hacked.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

You did not get hacked, you had an attempt to hack. Different things.

So, I got hacked.

Posted by: MeateaW.3519

MeateaW.3519

well his password was hacked (cracked?). The attempt to use the (hacked/divined/stolen/compromised) password prevented his account from getting hacked.

So, I got hacked.

Posted by: nesh.7234

nesh.7234

AFAIK email was about that someone tried to access your account from unusual IP, there was a lot of them after launch but (at least for me) they stopped shortly after. There are a tons of bots on the internets constantly attacking/guessing and trying to get in — you should see my server logs — and yes, most of them can be tracked to China based IP’s which mostly means that some of the bigger bot-nets (“zombie” machines infected with viruses) are there, real attacker can be anywhere.

May I recommend turning on “Mobile Authenticator” from My Account/Security page — it has iOS and Android app’s and it will make it a lot harder for possible attackers to get in, even if they steal/guess password.

Also use something like LastPass to keep and generate secure passwords instead trying to “invent” one, you’ll be surprised how good/big crack dictionaries are today (browser stored passwords are also not that secure). Doing full AV scan also, lots of passwords get stolen that way too.

And standard “warning”, use unique passwords, only time I had problem (not for GW/2) is when I used same password for forum and account, also, never give your password to anyone or use it on any other site even if it “looks” legit.

EU / Aurora Glade

So, I got hacked.

Posted by: SpyderBite.6274

SpyderBite.6274

It was an attempt to compromise your account via your email account. It was not a “hack”.

“Hacking” hasn’t occurred since Mathew Broderick’s character set the old analog phone in to the cradle and started dialing random phone numbers in search of a computer that would answer.

People toss the word “hacking” around too frequently these days without understanding its meaning/origin.

Accessing a game account or even an email account for that matter is the equivalent of Identity Theft or Social Engineering.

“Hacking” is blatantly accessing a single computer system or network directly in order to access the data or use the applications/services. So unless you are running WOPR to play GW2 or read your Gmail.. you weren’t hacked.

This lesson in Tech Support 101 was brought to you by the letters A, X and the Number 5.

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

So, I got hacked.

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

call the china cops brah

So, I got hacked.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

It was an attempt to compromise your account via your email account. It was not a “hack”.

“Hacking” hasn’t occurred since Mathew Broderick’s character set the old analog phone in to the cradle and started dialing random phone numbers in search of a computer that would answer.

People toss the word “hacking” around too frequently these days without understanding its meaning/origin.

Accessing a game account or even an email account for that matter is the equivalent of Identity Theft or Social Engineering.

“Hacking” is blatantly accessing a single computer system or network directly in order to access the data or use the applications/services. So unless you are running WOPR to play GW2 or read your Gmail.. you weren’t hacked.

This lesson in Tech Support 101 was brought to you by the letters A, X and the Number 5.

Terms evolve .When people talk about gay rights these days they arn’t talking about happy rights are they? You did know that gay means happy and wasn’t used to mean homosexual until recently right?

So, I got hacked.

Posted by: Nappychappy.7046

Nappychappy.7046

Lol what did you expect to do against a Chinese hacker even if you got the exact street address? Call the US army and tell them there’s oil in his house?

Just change your password and hope it dont happen again (even then you got the email verification that blocked it like this time).

ROFL!!

Get the mobile auth thingy.

You are using 21 of 100 infractions ermm, PMs.

So, I got hacked.

Posted by: JaeKeun.5680

JaeKeun.5680

I agree. A lot of terms today are being thrown around without understand its origin.

We should just revert the english language back to the 50’s.

Eon Ruby – Thief | Casaedrea – Elementalist
Die unendlichen Weiten, das Unbekannte; das Wilde.
Ehmry Bay.

So, I got hacked.

Posted by: Demented Lemur.7861

Demented Lemur.7861

This is exactly why they have the Ip email system for situations like this just dont allow the ip unless you know its yours and make sure your pasword is different from other passwords

So, I got hacked.

Posted by: Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

Ze Dos Cavalos.6132

I think that the meaning of life for chinese players is to hack accounts.
Whenever a account is hacked is always a chinese guy.
They come to this world only to hack other players.
kitten you china and your chinese hackers lol

P.S. And yeah i dont care whats the real meaning of the word hack.

[DIE] Death is Energy

So, I got hacked.

Posted by: ScottBroChill.3254

ScottBroChill.3254

You gotta buy a drone and send it over there to visit the guy, see how he liked hacking after that

So, I got hacked.

Posted by: Goettel.4389

Goettel.4389

They kindly gave me the IP, and tracked it down to a place in China. What do I do next?

Nuke ’em from orbit.

It’s the only way to be sure.

Send an Asura who knows math. Problem solved.

So, I got hacked.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Take some lessons in hacking, hack his computer and drain his bank accounts. Then buy yourself a legendary weapon and send him a picture thanking him.

So, I got hacked.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

then get arrested

So, I got hacked.

Posted by: nesh.7234

nesh.7234

OK, let’s say that you should trust me that “hacking” (as you defined it) happens and it is not that rare

War dialers are just replaced by the crawlers/bots tho.

Identity Theft, yes, SE no.

SE is the “bread and butter” of the intrusion in other systems, one always goes after weakest link — human one, you’d be surprised what information people volunteer to give without too much trouble

<snip>

(added bold)

(correction for the correction)

Hacking (base definition) is term much older that most of the script kiddies, warez d00dz, … who “younger” generation call “hackers” (especially after that kitten similarly named movie with /only/ a good music happened).

Sadly term got “appropriated” by kitten clueless mass-media ;(

Using one’s GW2 account to farm/collect/earn IRL money can be treated as such even with your definition (no thermonuclear war option tho)

Just to be clear: breaking into and messing with other systems is above all immoral (don’t care about laws) and against a real hacker ethic — IMO anyone doing that should be publicly flogged. OTOH, for example, making a security flaw public in a kitten software is a Good Thing™ as it forces kitten company to act instead pretending that problem do not exists.

(done with derailing the thread, infraction incoming …)

EU / Aurora Glade

(edited by nesh.7234)