So, I see more players in LFG key farming

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yobculture.5786

Yobculture.5786

Is Human Warrior the best class to go to for doing this or a Guardian?

Far Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

all proffs can be done almost exactly the same speed.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

It really depends on what you are comfortable with. I do it fastest with a warrior, as I’ve been playing it as my main for a year and a half, and know which skills do what. Tried it recently with a elementalist and it took a bit longer as I didn’t know all the skills, what they do, which ones to use in which situations etc. But if you are comfortable with ALL the professions, just pick whatever and go.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Falathar.9215

Falathar.9215

warrior is best for speed. S/H

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I did the warrior runs for a bit (about 28 minutes), but I do not really enjoy combat as a warrior. I then switched to ranger (my favorite) and I actually do it quicker now (about 23 minutes) and enjoy it more. I could tweak a few things to get that runtime down to maybe 18 minutes, but not really worried about it. After I get the key I then hop over and do Rata Sum and Grove map completions real quick for some T-Charges too.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: LastShot.4762

LastShot.4762

Personally like guardian better, staff aa hits like a truck with bloodlust and 4x power runes.

Finish lv10 PS at lv4, don’t even get to the stage of “choosing skills”(unless I am doing it while daily reset).

Posted by: flipyap.5789

flipyap.5789

I did it with warrior for like a year, then recently dd staff guardian with bloodlust sigil and its more enjoyable and easier even though its the same speed

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

it depend if you’ll be switching weapons/using sigils.

but mostly pick a class you know best.

I like doing it with ranger as its fairly easy, though it does take me an average of 28-33min.

warrior is supposed tp be the fastest. but a friend does it in about 20min on ele.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

15m guardian

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Jonny.6013

Jonny.6013

I haven’t done this much, but I have done my quickest runs with a Guardian – as above, staff with bloodlust and runed for power is very effective. My best is 23 minutes but usually around the 24 – 26 minute mark.

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Why do people do this in groups? Can’t you solo it just as easily?

Taygus.4571

because if 5 people are going to key farm.. why not do it together?

its not hard by any means, but its an mmo, and people like to do things together

pdavis.8031

Yeah you can do it easily solo, but it’s more fun in a group. I occassionaly do it with guildies, and it can be fun discussing what we got from the chests, but thats just me.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Yobculture.5786

Yobculture.5786

What would be the best method then?

I’m assuming it’s just “rush the personal storyline to level 10, quit and remake” but I’m not sure.

Far Shiverpeaks

Falathar.9215

it’s just “rush the personal storyline to level 10, quit and remake”… that is it, everything else is preferential, you get level 4 on your character, complete the level 10 quest, quit, repeat.

Falathar.9215

you do know that you need to choose “raised by the common folk”… right? i mean, that’s common sense… right?

pdavis.8031

What would be the best method then?

I’m assuming it’s just “rush the personal storyline to level 10, quit and remake” but I’m not sure.

Some people like to grab a few WPs or do a heart or 2 along the way for an extra level. But yeah, it’s basically rush, desposit key in bank, quit, delete, repeat.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

I think it makes more sense to group up as you can finish faster and don’t have to worry about getting downed because your level is too low.

Might get into a group on the weekend. I tried solo but it took me an hour. I need to focus :p

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

With a partner that knows what he/she is doing, it can be faster, like placing eachother in key spots where we as a team can quickly move on to the next stage or talk to the next npc that much quicker. But from my experience a pug, especially if it were more than one, would just slow down my time.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

you do know that you need to choose “raised by the common folk”… right? i mean, that’s common sense… right?

I always choose nobility. ~shrugs~
And I prefer ranger, too.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

A lot depends on if you have the banker golem that comes with a new character or not. If you don’t have that option then something like a ranger might be best as at the end you will be level 4 fighting a lot of level 10s. You will have an axe for ranged and a pet to hold agro. If you have the banker golem then you can set your char up nicely with max armor, runes and sigils.

As for the looking for group thing. Mostly because it can get boring to solo it. Once you know what to do it’s not hard.

Taygus.4571

A lot depends on if you have the banker golem that comes with a new character or not. If you don’t have that option then something like a ranger might be best as at the end you will be level 4 fighting a lot of level 10s. You will have an axe for ranged and a pet to hold agro. If you have the banker golem then you can set your char up nicely with max armor, runes and sigils.

As for the looking for group thing. Mostly because it can get boring to solo it. Once you know what to do it’s not hard.

actually about that banker golem…. thats the “bonus pack” or whatever it’s called with the wolf elite.

Does EVERY character you make get the golem for..well life? That… would certainly be useful as a keyfarmer

pdavis.8031

actually about that banker golem…. thats the “bonus pack” or whatever it’s called with the wolf elite.

Does EVERY character you make get the golem for..well life? That… would certainly be useful as a keyfarmer

No…the banker that comes on a newly created character on the delux, or collectors edition only lasts for 2 weeks, then cannot be used any more. But every character you create, as long as you have one of those editions, comes with a banker golem, unless they decide to get rid of it for some reason.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

If you do it alone it gets mind numbingly boring after a while. Doing it with other people keeps it more fun.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

Thanks in advance for getting key rewards out of personal story nerfed, guys. :\

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

If you have the Digital Deluxe Upgrade every character you make gets a banker golem for 14 days afaik.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

its not hard by any means, but its an mmo, and people like to do things together

Ah, sharing the pain. Actually, that’s quite prudent.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Azhure.1857

Thanks in advance for getting key rewards out of personal story nerfed, guys. :\

Honestly, get a hold of yourself. ArenaNet has been aware of key farming since launch. This is nothing new.

Taygus.4571

No…the banker that comes on a newly created character on the delux, or collectors edition only lasts for 2 weeks, then cannot be used any more. But every character you create, as long as you have one of those editions, comes with a banker golem, unless they decide to get rid of it for some reason.

thats what I asked, I know it’s 2 weeks… but if I delete a key character, and create another..I’ll get the banker again?

I did wonder at the waste of buying a 2 week golem on a key char.. XD
…this makes much more sense.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

yawn

warrior or guardian seems to be the recommendation i hear from a lot of people

WoodenPotatoes even has an in depth key farming guide on youtube which recommends either warrior (for speed) or guardian (survivability)

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

pdavis.8031

Honestly, get a hold of yourself. ArenaNet has been aware of key farming since launch. This is nothing new.

True, and even gave the go ahead to farm them.
Dev responses here.

recognize my command!”

pdavis.8031

thats what I asked, I know it’s 2 weeks… but if I delete a key character, and create another..I’ll get the banker again?

I did wonder at the waste of buying a 2 week golem on a key char.. XD
…this makes much more sense.

yes youll get the banker again.

recognize my command!”

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Dev responses here.

Colin stated at Pax a long while back that the QD champ train was fine too… People were just “playing the game” etc etc. Look what happened to that.

So, I’d say take what’s said with a grain of salt and realize that their stance could change at any time.

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

Someone did the intro for me and I skipped both cutscenes including the explosion.

Attachments:

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

Taygus.4571

Someone did the intro for me and I skipped both cutscenes including the explosion.

Thats quick… you used gaurd but what weapon (I’ve never played guard).. sigils etc?
btw, do white weapons, the ones that don’t soulbind, stay “unlocked” even with sigil on them?

XacTactX.6709

Thats quick… you used gaurd but what weapon (I’ve never played guard).. sigils etc?
btw, do white weapons, the ones that don’t soulbind, stay “unlocked” even with sigil on them?

For gear use a level 0 staff with sigil of bloodlust and justice (or speed but there are no monsters to kill during the runs). Armor use level 0 white gear and put different runes that give power, you get +40 power and the armor stays account bound. Buy rice balls from cooking vendor for +20 power.

The optional stuff: get collector’s edition for a banker golem, get primeval vintage armor with collector’s so you get a helmet and shoulders with power runes. Get executioners axe halloween toy for running speed. Get polla from dragon bash with garnet pebble (not possible anymore). Get hero’s band from preordering gw2 (not possible anymore). Get an unbound backpiece with garnet pebble using a transmutation splitter (not possible anymore).

we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

Azhure.1857

Dev responses here.

Colin stated at Pax a long while back that the QD champ train was fine too… People were just “playing the game” etc etc. Look what happened to that.

So, I’d say take what’s said with a grain of salt and realize that their stance could change at any time.

A disciple of Murphy’s Law, I see.

While I REALLY don’t want this thread turning into a discussion of the QD train, I feel I must respond to this. Key farming has remained exactly the same since launch. It crosses in and out of 2 zones (Queensdale and DR), with multiple instances along the way. It is not zerg content. It has no damaging effect on new players learning core game mechanics in starter zones, and yes that was why ArenaNet used the “nerf hammer” on that train – whether you believe that or not is irrelevant.

That being said nothing is set in stone. Nothing. If lets say, a long line of players can constantly be seen 24/7 running along the same path that key-farmers tend to run, then maybe something will be done. But we are not at that point. Nor do I believe we ever will be as key farming is the most monotonous activity in Guild Wars 2. The time and energy for the rewards gained are … discouraging.

(edited by Azhure.1857)

Taygus.4571

For gear use a level 0 staff with sigil of bloodlust and justice (or speed but there are no monsters to kill during the runs). Armor use level 0 white gear and put different runes that give power, you get +40 power and the armor stays account bound. Buy rice balls from cooking vendor for +20 power.

The optional stuff: get collector’s edition for a banker golem, get primeval vintage armor with collector’s so you get a helmet and shoulders with power runes. Get executioners axe halloween toy for running speed. Get polla from dragon bash with garnet pebble (not possible anymore). Get hero’s band from preordering gw2 (not possible anymore). Get an unbound backpiece with garnet pebble using a transmutation splitter (not possible anymore).

Well that was detailed. thanks

Dev responses here.

Because a lot of people where complaining about the QD champ farm. No one is complaining about key farms.

~Sincerely, Scissors

pdavis.8031

Dev responses here.

True, it could change at any time. However about the champ train, I don’t believe it was nerfed because people were farming it all day long. It was nerfed partially due the toxic nature of players that was growing in QD, Champion level bosses didn’t quite fit in a starter zone, and were demoted to elite or veteren. The only change I am aware of about champ bags being nerfed was the amount of coin they contained. The train still runs in Queensdale and Frostgorge. At least least thats how I saw the reasons for the change.

All that being said, I don’t think they will nerf character creation to farm keys any time soon, but they still retain the right to change things in game with or without notice at anytime.

recognize my command!”

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Dev responses here.

A disciple of Murphy’s Law, I see.

While I REALLY don’t want this thread turning into a discussion of the QD train, I feel I must respond to this. Key farming has remained exactly the same since launch. It crosses in and out of 2 zones (Queensdale and DR), with multiple instances along the way. It is not zerg content. It has no damaging effect on new players learning core game mechanics in starter zones, and yes that was why ArenaNet used the “nerf hammer” on that train – whether you believe that or not is irrelevant.

That being said nothing is set in stone. Nothing. If lets say, a long line of players can constantly been seen 24/7 running along the same path that key-farmers tend to run, then maybe something will be done. But we are not at that point. Nor do I believe we ever will be as key farming is the most monotonous activity in Guild Wars 2. The time and energy for the rewards gained are … discouraging.

I don’t know. I would think that if key farming became too prevalent and it started seriously impacting some of their sales they might look at ‘adjusting’ it too. A lot more people have been showing an interest in it as of late. How much of an impact that might have on the grander scale or in the long term, there’s no way to really tell.

And you’re right, it hasn’t really changed from its inception, and it’s nothing like the QD train. I wasn’t trying to be negative necessarily, just realistic.

True, it could change at any time. However about the champ train, I don’t believe it was nerfed because people were farming it all day long. It was nerfed partially due the toxic nature of players that was growing in QD, Champion level bosses didn’t quite fit in a starter zone, and were demoted to elite or veteren. The only change I am aware of about champ bags being nerfed was the amount of coin they contained. The train still runs in Queensdale and Frostgorge. At least least thats how I saw the reasons for the change.

All that being said, I don’t think they will nerf character creation to farm keys any time soon, but they still retain the right to change things in game with or without notice at anytime.

My basic point was simply that they could change their mind. All I was going for really. Cause you know there’s going to be those people that are adverse to change and have fits should something actually change.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Azhure.1857

I don’t know. I would think that if key farming became too prevalent and it started seriously impacting some of their sales they might look at ‘adjusting’ it too. A lot more people have been showing an interest in it as of late. How much of an impact that might have on the grander scale or in the long term, there’s no way to really tell.

And you’re right, it hasn’t really changed from its inception, and it’s nothing like the QD train. I wasn’t trying to be negative necessarily, just realistic.

More people, maybe, but “a lot more” I think is stretching it. It may just seem that way to you because of megaservers.

A few of us have already agreed that things could change. But we’re nowhere near that point. It may even be that with a recent boost in key farming curiosity and people trying it out, “a lot more people” may actually be true soon enough, but as I stated before – Key farming takes a lot of dedication of will power, time, and energy in order for someone to see any level “loot” that makes the key farm worth the effort. The majority of people trying it out will be discouraged and stop to go farm elsewhere. The hardcore key farmers will keep on trekking.

(edited by Azhure.1857)

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Dev responses here.

Because a lot of people where complaining about the QD champ farm. No one is complaining about key farms.

We’ve had a few about key farms. (Made me chuckle actually) but yes, no where near as much…

More people, maybe, but “a lot more” I think is stretching it. It may just seem that way to you because of megaservers.

True, maybe just seeing more now cause I’m just seeing more people lol

XacTactX.6709

I think BLCK farming has already had a serious effect on the sales of keys. Think of it this way, keys come from a specific number of places:

1. map completion
2. personal story 10, 30, 50 (permanent chars)
3. gem store sales.
4. daily chest
5. killing random monsters
6. key farmers

What percentage of BLCK do you guys think comes from each source? Everyone will make their own predictions, this is my personal prediction.

1. 0.2%
2. 0.2%
3. 0.2%
4. 0.2%
5. 0.2%
6. 99%

Please don’t misunderstand me I’m not saying it’s either good or bad that keys come from these sources, but I really believe the vast majority of keys are made by farmers. The 99% might be an exaggerration but not much lol.

(edited by XacTactX.6709)

pdavis.8031

Also just an idea, for those who have multiple lvl 80’s and no more available character slots to do key runs with, they would either delete a character, or buy a slot, Which costs 800 gems, or buy keys. To me, getting an extra slot just to do key runs now and again doesn’t seem worth it. The time investment to get the key, plus the finiancial investment to buy a slot is worth more than a key.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Far more players buy keys with gems than you give them credit for.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Azhure.1857

I think BLCK farming has already had a serious effect on the sales of keys. Think of it this way, keys come from a specific number of places:

1. map completion
2. personal story 10, 30, 50 (permanent chars)
3. gem store sales.
4. daily chest
5. killing random monsters
6. key farmers

What percentage of BLCK do you guys think comes from each source? Everyone will make their own predictions, this is my personal prediction.

1. 0.2%
2. 0.2%
3. 0.2%
4. 0.2%
5. 0.2%
6. 99%

Please don’t misunderstand me I’m not saying it’s either good or bad that keys come from these sources, but I really believe the vast majority of keys are made by farmers.

I’m sorry but I laughed at this. A lot of keys come from farmers, I’ll give you that much, but to say 99% is laughable. It would have been nerfed for that very reason a VERY long time ago.

I recall watching a video of someone that had somehow amassed tens of thousands of gems (really don’t know how) and with them spent them ALL on keys. It was a sight to see. Granted that was just one video – but it applies. The gem shop is not suffering… as much as some of us wish it was at times. People purchase gems and/or farm gold and convert for keys.

Posted by: Seth.1308

Seth.1308

Ah, sharing the pain. Actually, that’s quite prudent.

It’s a little faster in a group, since you can run a split to kill multiple targets during the storyline parts.

Posted by: Sligh.2789

Sligh.2789

This farm is only good for the person that thinks they will get the big monetary reward for a skin that they will buy with a ticket, at the expense of playing the game. Sad really that they think like this.

pdavis.8031

This farm is only good for the person that thinks they will get the big monetary reward for a skin that they will buy with a ticket, at the expense of playing the game. Sad really that they think like this.

The farm is also good for those players with stacks of chests taking up inventory/bank space, get bored with running dungeons everyday, and looking to do something else for a bit.

recognize my command!”