So, I see more players in LFG key farming

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

Off topic:The only problem with this key farming is that you get relatively easy a key on early levels but later if I remember correct only 1-2 more…so in the whole personal story you get 3 keys at all if I am correct from which the first at lvl 5-6 aprox where a newbie doesn’t even know for what is good(as I was in my first weeks of play).

In-topic:I never tried this before but beside boosts I never ever got anything better.

Posted by: Neko Dudley.2495

Neko Dudley.2495

I have been playing for a year and a half, got my first key from a mob yesterday on the way to the wolf chest(which I also farm). I was so exited i announced it in mapchat. I farm keys and I buy them with gems.

Key farming is a nice relaxing way to play the game when you don’t feel like doing anything intense. I seriously doubt we are messing up the economy IRL or in game.

Gate of Madness [MAL] EB
Yarr! I be keeping me pirate runes, Matey. Yarr! You’re welcome. Yarr!

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It’s fairly labor intensive to farm keys to get tickets. The average over time is about 50 keys to get 10 scraps. If each run takes 20 to 25 minutes, then one ticket is ~16 to 20 hours of key running. Most people who do key running are not going to do it for the long haul. They’ll do a few, maybe enough to get one ticket, then stop. It’s much simpler to buy keys with real money or farm gold in game and buy the weapon skins off the trading post.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

It’s fairly labor intensive to farm keys to get tickets. The average over time is about 50 keys to get 10 scraps. If each run takes 20 to 25 minutes, then one ticket is ~16 to 20 hours of key running. Most people who do key running are not going to do it for the long haul. They’ll do a few, maybe enough to get one ticket, then stop. It’s much simpler to buy keys with real money or farm gold in game and buy the weapon skins off the trading post.

I was reading an article about that the other day, but can’t find it at the moment. However they basically calculated you need to open a chest every 7.3 seconds or something in order to make it worthwhile to get ticket scraps.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: ozmaniandevil.6805

ozmaniandevil.6805

Actually the best and most efficient thing to do is buy gems, trade for gold, and purchase the skins you want off the TP. In the end it will “cost” you less than using 40 hours of your time (most likely) or using cash to buy gems to trade for keys. You have no idea how many keys it might take to get 1 claim ticket. Believe me, I have spent cash in the past to buy the keys. Now, I actually delete the BL chests I get so I am no longer tempted to do so. If I want a skin that badly I will convert gems to gold. Much more satisfying.

Isle of Janthir – Knights of the Rose (KoR)

Posted by: Sungak Alkandenes.1369

Sungak Alkandenes.1369

The optional stuff: get collector’s edition for a banker golem, get primeval vintage armor with collector’s so you get a helmet and shoulders with power runes. Get executioners axe halloween toy for running speed. Get polla from dragon bash with garnet pebble (not possible anymore). Get hero’s band from preordering gw2 (not possible anymore). Get an unbound backpiece with garnet pebble using a transmutation splitter (not possible anymore).

Can you explain the highlighted part? That’s the first I’ve heard of Primeval Vintage armor. And for ‘collectors,’ do you mean Digital Deluxe or something else? Because DD gives you the banker golem too.

Otherwise a very useful list, and one I’ll be using in one of my hobbies – experiencing all racial PS lines. Finishing up Norn, just have Human and Charr left now.

“The Meta Game does not stop at the game. Ever.” — Me
I like to view MMOs through the lazy eye of a Systems Admin, and the critical eye of a
Project Manager. You’ve been warned. ;-)

Posted by: barnabas j collins.2306

barnabas j collins.2306

The optional stuff: get collector’s edition for a banker golem, get primeval vintage armor with collector’s so you get a helmet and shoulders with power runes. Get executioners axe halloween toy for running speed. Get polla from dragon bash with garnet pebble (not possible anymore). Get hero’s band from preordering gw2 (not possible anymore). Get an unbound backpiece with garnet pebble using a transmutation splitter (not possible anymore).

Can you explain the highlighted part? That’s the first I’ve heard of Primeval Vintage armor. And for ‘collectors,’ do you mean Digital Deluxe or something else? Because DD gives you the banker golem too.

Otherwise a very useful list, and one I’ll be using in one of my hobbies – experiencing all racial PS lines. Finishing up Norn, just have Human and Charr left now.

I believe this has been changed but for a while, if you bought the gem store item “primeval armor” you got 6 skins to apply to other pieces of armor PLUS a non-level piece of each piece of armor (head, hands, feet, etc). Those non-leveled pieces of armor could take a rune or upgrade, unlike the starting helm or shoulders. So for those that bought it during that time, they got 2 rune slots for their key farming armor that can no longer be obtained. It also used to work to put any armor skin on a piece of armor and then to use a splitter to separate it back off – this yielded a non-level piece of armor with a rune slot.

But, again, this can no longer be done.

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I believe this has been changed but for a while, if you bought the gem store item “primeval armor” you got 6 skins to apply to other pieces of armor PLUS a non-level piece of each piece of armor (head, hands, feet, etc). Those non-leveled pieces of armor could take a rune or upgrade, unlike the starting helm or shoulders. So for those that bought it during that time, they got 2 rune slots for their key farming armor that can no longer be obtained. It also used to work to put any armor skin on a piece of armor and then to use a splitter to separate it back off – this yielded a non-level piece of armor with a rune slot.

Ah, that explains it nicely. Thank you. I was trying to make sense of their stating to get that skin set, but could not think of how to achieve what they were stating it would achieve.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: barnabas j collins.2306

barnabas j collins.2306

Ah, that explains it nicely. Thank you. I was trying to make sense of their stating to get that skin set, but could not think of how to achieve what they were stating it would achieve.

If it is any comfort, however, 6 power runes were sort of overkill anyway. Four power runes plus a garnet on your weapon are quite adequate to do the run quickly. It’s just a tiny bit slower on one or two of the named mobs but not enough to matter.

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

Guardian is the fastest with Greatsword. I can do it in 17 minutes. Warrior I do 20-21 minutes. Ele is 19-21. Guardian is 17-19

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

@Grok Krog. It’s great that you do so well on your guardian. However my warrior gets it done in the same amount of time, when I’m trying for time (as many times I’ll farm as I’m doing other things).

I think its safe to say that Guardian, Warrior, Ele, and Ranger are popular options – but each individual should experiment to see which is best/fastest for them.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

You guys are talking about gear. Since you delete/remake the character, i suppose you actually put it in bank, delete char, open bank, get the ‘good’ gear, get key, delete, rinse and repeat? In ever bothered to get gear for first levels/story, it just works to easely without gear. Does that mean you guys use lvl 1 gear then (not a lvl 8 staff for instance, cause that might make the first levels to hard).

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

You guys are talking about gear. Since you delete/remake the character, i suppose you actually put it in bank, delete char, open bank, get the ‘good’ gear, get key, delete, rinse and repeat? In ever bothered to get gear for first levels/story, it just works to easely without gear. Does that mean you guys use lvl 1 gear then (not a lvl 8 staff for instance, cause that might make the first levels to hard).

If you run straight through it you start at level one and end at level 5 so you never can use a level 8 staff.

Actually the level zero white gear with power stats is the highest available for a number of levels.