So, I've decided to come back.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: YouWillLearn.9531

YouWillLearn.9531

Around a year ago, or so, my real life friends, and I quit playing Gw2. Now, as life settles and we all have free time. We have decided to come back and play. After reading the well angered forums, and the not so many updates. Is it worth it? You players out there that have been playing since I’ve quit. Should I come in, or just walk past?

(edited by YouWillLearn.9531)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Really, only you can answer that question.

Hard drive space is cheap. Give it a go. If it still doesn’t suit what you’re after, move along. Then you know.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

It’s free to play. Why not try yourself and find out if you want to keep playing?

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

The forums are about the worst place to look for opinions on a game.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

What they said.

The forums will never give you an accurate representation of players opinions, and no one can ever tell you what you should think of the new content. The best way to find out is to give it a go.

Log into the game, visit the new maps, get a friend or guild member to show you the new story if you haven’t got it unlocked yourself. If you don’t like it all you’ve lost is a bit of time and at least then you’ll know. If you do then you can carry on playing.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

YouWillLearn.9531

It’s free to play. Why not try yourself and find out if you want to keep playing?

Hard drive space is cheap. Give it a go. If it still doesn’t suit what you’re after, move along. Then you know.

Yeah, I’m in the process of patching right now. You two are 100% right. I’m just on a thin line, and honestly don’t know what side to jump in. I want to go back, but after reading patch notes, forums, etc, etc. I don’t want to come back to a barren land. That would make me sad, for such a good game.

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

Don’t worry, the game’s anything but barren. The Megaserver patch from earlier this year made it so you’ll find population wherever you go. In some cases, too much population!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Yeah, I’m in the process of patching right now. You two are 100% right. I’m just on a thin line, and honestly don’t know what side to jump in. I want to go back, but after reading patch notes, forums, etc, etc. I don’t want to come back to a barren land. That would make me sad, for such a good game.

Oh, it’s not barren. At least, not from my experience. My guildie regularly complains that there are too many people on her maps these days (she liked lonely AR maps pre-mega server).

It really just comes down to what you like to do, or what you plan on doing. Some of us like the living story (not huge content chunks, but enough to toy with), and it keeps us entertained from week to week. Wintersday should be back shortly as well; I know some are looking forward to that (I’ll probably be out of town, sadly).

WvW…I can’t really speak on. I’ve watched too many guilds jump ship because the grass is supposedly greener on some other server higher in the chain. However, they’ll conveniently forget that now they can’t play half the time because of queues. But hey, they’re winning.

Pvp is getting some interesting match making changes Tuesday. Might make it a little more balanced competition wise, but we’ll see. Not a huge pvper, but I look forward to an unrated q that works similarly to the current rated q set up.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Sisriana.2384

Sisriana.2384

I stopped playing a couple months after launch and came back this past June. The game isn’t a wasteland at all. Once you get the hang of it again, you’ll enjoy it like I do (hopefully). =]

Besides everyone is a critic on forums

#ThisRoseHasThorns
#LettuceLifeOP
#EloniaIsBae

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

Yes it is worth taking a second look with the living story and the new areas opening up the game is still fun to play, I like the Silverwaste the best so far. Unfortunately for you if you haven’t been logging I to the gave to grab the living story content on at least one charature you may have to buy the suff you missed I think there is a way to buy living story season 2 chapters threw the gem store not sure how this works. They are free if you logged in during the time period of each chapter and accepted the chapter on each charature you have or at least one. I’m not sure if the new areas require you to have the living store chapter for that area.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

YouWillLearn.9531

Ok! Thanks for the feedback guys!

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Yeah, you’ve already paid for it, might as well patch up and see what you think of it this time.

It would be a different story if you were asking if it’s worth buying, but you’ve already done that.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You don’t need to have unlocked any of the Season Two Episodes to access the new maps…just so you know.

And, as stated above, you can enjoy the Season Two Episodes if you party up with someone else that has them unlocked. You will not, however, be able to access the Rewards or Achievements unless you purchase any Episodes you have not unlocked.

Welcome return, and happy adventuring! =)

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I love all the people saying that the forums are the worst place to ask for this sort of advice, yet all the advice is pretty much even-handed and fair.

Edit: Since my statement is apparently terribly unclear, I would like to clarify that the advice I’m pointing to as “even-handed and fair” is the advice offered to the original poster of this thread, in this specific thread. My deepest apologies to those of you who thought I meant that the entirety of the forum is fair. I would never suggest that, and many of my highest rated posts have been in defense of ANET. Thank you for your time and attention.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

(edited by Guhracie.3419)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

OP does state he finds the forums full of anger. Still, there are helpful players here, as well. =)

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

Around a year ago, or so, my real life friends, and I quit playing Gw2. Now, as life settles and we all have free time. We have decided to come back and play. After reading the well angered forums, and the not so many updates. Is it worth it? You players out there that have been playing since I’ve quit. Should I come in, or just walk past?

Ultimately, that’s for you to decide. Remember, you paid for the game, didn’t request a refund, and therefore still have your account. As such, you should go ahead and give it a shot, the second worst thing that could happen is that you will carry on after finding out that your desire to play GW2 is gone.

While some of the game’s features has changed noticeably, you might not see a vast amount of playable content that most other MMOs at this point in their lifetime might have. However, do note that this is beginning to change (2 new maps each with a map wide meta event) and I advise you and your friends to be patient.

Posted by: Dante.8456

Dante.8456

GW2 isn’t without its flaws but its important to remember that improvements are on-going and, with new mega-servers, it certainly feels more alive than ever.

I wouldn’t say there is that much difference in raw content between now and a year ago though

Desolation EU
Guardian / WvW Enthusiast

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

yes come back we need you. Play the game with us

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

Don’t do it.

It’s scary on this side of things.

Posted by: tofumon.5924

tofumon.5924

I would say it’s worth a shot. The only thing that really bugs me is unlocking the traits now. There’s a few other things that I would complain about but none of them come close to game breaking as much as the traits does.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I love all the people saying that the forums are the worst place to ask for this sort of advice, yet all the advice is pretty much even-handed and fair.

Even handed and fair? There are a handful of even handed and fair people here and a whole bunch of people that post here that claim not to have played the game for over a year. So they don’t know really what’s going on but they make judgements. That’s fair to you?

There are so many unfair comments on these forums (and most MMORPG game forums) that it’s hard to believe.

Unless a company removes all negative posts (and most don’t) game forums are all pretty much identical. This one isn’t even that bad.

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Great then you cam replace me I left 2 weeks ago. Unlike you if an expansion never shows up then neither will I.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Great then you cam replace me I left 2 weeks ago. Unlike you if an expansion never shows up then neither will I.

See… I don’t get why people that (say they) don’t play the game continue to post, some on a daily basis. Makes no sense. These are the type of posts and posters that should be avoided OP. They don’t care about the game they just want to troll and be a pest to the mods.

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

This game is ever-expanding. Maybe not in a boxed traditional sense.. but it is always growing there are new things to do… maps are changing and shifting with the story… especially Silverwastes…. Mordy you outta control, brotha.

It may not be what you personally want, but the trope that “Expansion” isn’t happening is getting seriously old. The game is growing at its own pace and in its own unique way.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

Xenon.4537

You know, this argument is way off topic and only serves to further add to the toxicity of these forums you mentioned… OP got his answer a long time ago: check out the game yourself and decide. Don’t read too much forum propaganda. By now the thread is only giving OP more reasons to run away from this community.

Vayne.8563

You know, this argument is way off topic and only serves to further add to the toxicity of these forums you mentioned… OP got his answer a long time ago: check out the game yourself and decide. Don’t read too much forum propaganda. By now the thread is only giving OP more reasons to run away from this community.

I’m not sure I agree.

The OP himself complained the negativity on the forums was making him ask himself whether he comes back. So if that negativity is unfair somehow, then it’s definite on topic.

I’m not even sure why you’d think it’s off topic.

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

If OP wrote a thread where he states that gw2 is bad and won’t play it anymore, then I suggest to not come back. :v

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

Try it! It’s free! But you won’t stay here for long. I’m sure that the reasons why you left are still present in the game.

Vayne.8563

Try it! It’s free! But you won’t stay here for long. I’m sure that the reasons why you left are still present in the game.

Actually the reason he left was no time in real life. He said he’d be said if it was dead because it’s such a good game.

It’s nice that you personally don’t like the game, but don’t assume that everyone who’s taken a break, even a long break doesn’t.

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

I just came back to the game myself after about a year off. I’m enjoying it.

Xenon.4537

I’m not sure I agree.

The OP himself complained the negativity on the forums was making him ask himself whether he comes back. So if that negativity is unfair somehow, then it’s definite on topic.

I’m not even sure why you’d think it’s off topic.

Okay maybe it wasn’t completely off topic, but you have to admit it was becoming more about nitpicking who said what, and less about the general negativity of the forums.

Posted by: Gregori.5807

Gregori.5807

One thing I would suggest to all returning players is to not delete your old toons if you want a race reroll.

If you want a race reroll or some other change from a class you already have, don’t delete your old toon… roll a new one in a new character slot instead. If you do delete and reroll you might find yourself in a world of hurt if you are one of the people who can’t stand the trait redo. If you are OK with the trait redo after having earned/bought all traits (sounds good on paper, in game is different), then delete the old toon. Pre last April toons are not subject to this problem.

With this in mind, go back into game and find out.

~~On Blackgate since Beta~~
80s: Necro x2, Ranger, Warr, Guardian x2, Ele x2, Mes, Thief

(edited by Gregori.5807)

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

- General look at the forums gives a very good impression at both the community and quality of game. What are they talking about? Is there excited discussion about the game or are the players criticizing faults of the game? How much are the developers responding and what kind of answers are they giving?

Posted by: WalkinGoon.2408

WalkinGoon.2408

Feel free to patch up and see what’s up, but I wouldn’t blame ya on passing and waiting for something substantial to shakeup the game.

Posted by: Oniyui.8279

Oniyui.8279

- General look at the forums gives a very good impression at both the community and quality of game. What are they talking about? Is there excited discussion about the game or are the players criticizing faults of the game? How much are the developers responding and what kind of answers are they giving?

I tend to disagree with your statement. The population sample is significantly skewed. People who post on the forums are people that want to voice something.

In my personal experience, people are far more likely to feel the need to voice qualms than contentment or joy. It’s as if qualms have a way of prompting people. It’s not even that the game’s full of negativity, it’s just full of activity.

That the forum is active with complaints and suggestions is also misleading. You cannot always tell if the criticism is out of dissatisfaction with the game or coming from someone who loves the game and just wants to nurture it with new ideas and/or fight for representation in their favorite part of the game. Or it could even be that there’s a thousand things about the game they love and one thing they don’t, they don’t feel a need to write about the thousand things they love.

Posted by: Zenith.6403

Zenith.6403

I tend to disagree with your statement. The population sample is significantly skewed. People who post on the forums are people that want to voice something.

- Voice their concerns, excitement or ask a question about the game. If complaining, what are they complaining about? You can pretty much judge from the content what kind of issues are relevant to your interests. Indie game forums are often full of people who are simply seeking information to deepen their appreciation of the game.