So Overwolf is an approved addon now?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Graka.9457

Graka.9457

After seeing this tweet from the official guild wars 2 twitter https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/510858084043206656 which showcases the new Overwolf mod coming out later today (Which still hasn’t come out yet) it occurred to me to ask here if this was an actual endorsement and approval of us using this mod. I ask since I’ve played since GW1 and I remember then that third party programs were not approved, and as far as I’ve always heard that remains the same for GW2. Could it be possible to get a definitive answer on this subject if its approved of by Anet or not to use this Overwolf Mod?

I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Posted by: Darkorical.9213

Darkorical.9213

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Overlays aren’t add ons. They’re overlays and not against the terms of service. There’s nothing you get from this that you can’t have from having a second monitor and a calculator.

We’ve been using overlays for a long time already…at least I have.

Graka.9457

Overlays aren’t add ons. They’re overlays and not against the terms of service. There’s nothing you get from this that you can’t have from having a second monitor and a calculator.

Is there any sort of red post saying that overlays are okay? I just dont want to get myself into any sort of trouble.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Question is also what is an overlay ? The old Dragontimer was clear since it ran in as
a seperated application just as window that were always on top. This however is directly
injected via DirectX into the application.
Thats also fine maybe as long as only external data is written for display, however it
looks like here also data is read back from the client since it has clickable buttons
directly in the application .. at least thats how it looks to me.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

I do believe all GW2 Overlays require you to be running in full-screen windowed (or simply windowed) to allow the application to overlay itself properly. If you run in full-screen mode, the application will not be able to display itself on top since GW2 will be on front of everything.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

I do believe all GW2 Overlays require you to be running in full-screen windowed (or simply windowed) to allow the application to overlay itself properly. If you run in full-screen mode, the application will not be able to display itself on top since GW2 will be on front of everything.

Making a video with fraps however will not show those overlays .. however we had a video of that overwolf stuff ..

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

Vayne.8563

Is there any sort of red post saying that overlays are okay? I just dont want to get myself into any sort of trouble.

Overlays don’t alter the game at all. Anet doesn’t even have a way to know you’re using the overlay. It does nothing more than a second monitor would do for you. It doesn’t give you in game advantage. It doesn’t change the code. It literally breaks no rules.

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Overlays don’t alter the game at all. Anet doesn’t even have a way to know you’re using the overlay. It does nothing more than a second monitor would do for you. It doesn’t give you in game advantage. It doesn’t change the code. It literally breaks no rules.

If it didn’t give some sort of an advantage there wouldn’t be any reason to use it now would there?……….Come on you’ve got to be realistic sometimes. Ease of access to information is always an advantage in everything.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Esplen.3940

Making a video with fraps however will not show those overlays .. however we had a video of that overwolf stuff ..

I haven’t watched the video or anything but it’s possible to use other software to record directly from your screen instead of recording the application’s window (which is what Fraps does).

For example, a pretty underrated tool (albeit old) was once worked on by Microsoft

Posted by: Forgotten Legend.9281

Forgotten Legend.9281

one reason for using overlays on top of games is for monitoring personal hardware: like GPU temperature, VRAM usage and such. Overwolf expands on that by allowing you to see who is talking at the time in TeamSpeak (Overwolf is essentially Teamspeak’s overlay, after all)

knowing the name of a person who is talking in VOIP is the same as knowing who is talking to you in front of the TV playing multiplayer Goldeneye. it enhances the enjoyment of the company or community, without changing the actual gameplay at all.

– The Baconnaire

Vayne.8563

If it didn’t give some sort of an advantage there wouldn’t be any reason to use it now would there?……….Come on you’ve got to be realistic sometimes. Ease of access to information is always an advantage in everything.

It doesn’t give an in game advantage. It doesn’t make your character faster. It doesn’t make your character stronger it doesn’t allow you to teleport. It doesn’t in fact do anything a person with two monitors couldn’t do.

Essence Snow.3194

It doesn’t give an in game advantage. It doesn’t make your character faster. It doesn’t make your character stronger it doesn’t allow you to teleport. It doesn’t in fact do anything a person with two monitors couldn’t do.

That’s all semantics. Having two monitors is an advantage. (I couldn’t see myself going back to one after playing with two.) Timer websites are an advantage, pen and paper, dulfy, voip, etc etc….they are all advantageous. I’m not saying they are against tos or anything, just not going to try and call something not advantageous when it definitely is. Level of advantage is secondary and besides the point.

Esplen.3940

Okay, I just checked this out myself. It’s literally just a pen and paper overlay.

Imagine printing yourself a notebook checklist that has each page with every daily thing you need. Everyday, you flip to a new page and cross off things that you’ve done.

BAM, no second monitor.

If you need to figure out what rewards you get, well.. most people memorize that if they’re doing it daily. But you can write that down next to each item on the paper.

As for the “time until next daily”. That’s… that’s just basic math. You don’t even need a calculator for that. The game has an ingame clock that you can set to Server Time and then check how much time it is until 5 PM (if you’re on NA).

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Hey there!

Ari here, Community Manager for Overwolf and the guy who made those videos.

Overwolf runs in fullscreen mode as it works very different to the other overlays out there. We inject into the game without altering the games files or anything (which is why SweetFX sometimes messes Overwolf up).

The way we work complies with the ToS of Guild Wars 2.

The Daily Dolly app works like pen and paper, it does not read anything automatically and requires user input (you have to manually click the paths of the dungeons or crafting and such) to make it do anything.

Every app for Guild Wars 2 uses the official API and does not read any game memory, edit game files or do anything of that sort. Information received from the game isn’t actually receieved from the game, but from clever use of the Guild Wars 2 API.

If the function isn’t in the official API, then there isn’t a way to do it without workarounds. For example, the Daily Dolly. Since the Guild Wars 2 API doesn’t have a function for reading dungeon completion and rewards and things like that, the developer created a pen and paper app that requires a user to input that themselves. The app has in it that Path 1 of AC rewards X gold and X tokens and then crosses it off, then if you click on a second path it adds the 2 and so on, almost like an excel worksheet.

Hope that answers some questions! Feel free to ask me more anytime you want.

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

(edited by Raif.9507)

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Except there’s about 20 different event timers for GW2 and overwolf have been doing that for a long time

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Vayne.8563

That’s all semantics. Having two monitors is an advantage. (I couldn’t see myself going back to one after playing with two.) Timer websites are an advantage, pen and paper, dulfy, voip, etc etc….they are all advantageous. I’m not saying they are against tos or anything, just not going to try and call something not advantageous when it definitely is. Level of advantage is secondary and besides the point.

Anet is saying anything that gives you an “in game” advantage. Anet can’t regulate who has two monitors and who doesn’t. They wouldn’t even know. You can call it semantics all they want, but I think it’s pretty clear what they mean by an in game advantage. They don’t want hacks. They don’t want people using macros that give them a competitive advantage in combat.

Having access to how much profit you’ve made isn’t really an advantage, because you can do it with a pen and paper. I generally know about how much money I make from a dungeon run because, you know, math. Having a calculator to do it for me, telling me the exact amount doesn’t change the game for me at all. It’s not like I’ll make more money from that dungeon if I know how much I’ve made.

Posted by: Zygomaticus.7469

Zygomaticus.7469

Hey there!

Ari here, Community Manager for Overwolf and the guy who made those videos.

Overwolf runs in fullscreen mode as it works very different to the other overlays out there. We inject into the game without altering the games files or anything (which is why SweetFX sometimes messes Overwolf up).

The way we work complies with the ToS of Guild Wars 2.

The Daily Dolly app works like pen and paper, it does not read anything automatically and requires user input (you have to manually click the paths of the dungeons or crafting and such) to make it do anything.

Every app for Guild Wars 2 uses the official API and does not read any game memory, edit game files or do anything of that sort. Information received from the game isn’t actually receieved from the game, but from clever use of the Guild Wars 2 API.

If the function isn’t in the official API, then there isn’t a way to do it without workarounds. For example, the Daily Dolly. Since the Guild Wars 2 API doesn’t have a function for reading dungeon completion and rewards and things like that, the developer created a pen and paper app that requires a user to input that themselves. The app has in it that Path 1 of AC rewards X gold and X tokens and then crosses it off, then if you click on a second path it adds the 2 and so on, almost like an excel worksheet.

Hope that answers some questions! Feel free to ask me more anytime you want.

soooooooo ari when can we use this?

Would it be cool to live forever?

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

After seeing this tweet from the official guild wars 2 twitter https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/510858084043206656 which showcases the new Overwolf mod coming out later today (Which still hasn’t come out yet) it occurred to me to ask here if this was an actual endorsement and approval of us using this mod. I ask since I’ve played since GW1 and I remember then that third party programs were not approved, and as far as I’ve always heard that remains the same for GW2. Could it be possible to get a definitive answer on this subject if its approved of by Anet or not to use this Overwolf Mod?

Funny the way the addon is presented.

I found this picture showing the current UI when using several features, like achievements or the new content guide. Just Imagine how it would look like with the overwolf addon.

Attachments:

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Essence Snow.3194

Anet is saying anything that gives you an “in game” advantage. Anet can’t regulate who has two monitors and who doesn’t. They wouldn’t even know. You can call it semantics all they want, but I think it’s pretty clear what they mean by an in game advantage. They don’t want hacks. They don’t want people using macros that give them a competitive advantage in combat.

Having access to how much profit you’ve made isn’t really an advantage, because you can do it with a pen and paper. I generally know about how much money I make from a dungeon run because, you know, math. Having a calculator to do it for me, telling me the exact amount doesn’t change the game for me at all. It’s not like I’ll make more money from that dungeon if I know how much I’ve made.

We know from the whole booster/gem shop ordeal early on it was modified to not having an “unfair advantage”. Unfair being the key word as they could not deny things being advantageous.

As far as this goes……it’s an exception to their own codes justified by not doing anything about it and even sponsoring the contest.

You acknowledge that You may not, without signed written consent from a legally authorized representative of NCSOFT, do any of the following:Use any NCSOFT IP right except as permitted under this agreement or otherwise permitted in writing by NCSOFT; Use, or provide others with, any service related to the Game, including but not limited to; any service that interacts with the Software; or Use, obtain or provide data related to operation of the Game, including but not limited to: software that reads areas of computer memory or storage devices related to the Game; software that intercepts or otherwise collects data from or through the Game; software that redirects communications from any Software or Service; or software not provided by NCSOFT which creates or maintains any communication to the Software or Service

I’m not exactly sure where they modified tos for all the api usage or if they even did. Reminds of of old laws on the books that are simply there b/c no one ever put forth the effort of removing them. I know it’s illegal to walk a donkey down the sidewalk in my hometown, but if anyone did it would anything happen?, most likely not.

Raif.9507

Hopefully by today. Working on it right now to upload the apps.

Posted by: Zygomaticus.7469

Zygomaticus.7469

Hopefully by today. Working on it right now to upload the apps.

please do advice if it’s available for download. thanks!

Would it be cool to live forever?

Raif.9507

Hey again!

Ari here, Overwolf CM.

I just wanted to add here that Overwolf is working with ArenaNet in a collaborative effort on a few contests that require use of Overwolf in game. Not only that, they are also sponsoring and hosting an Overwolf app developers challenge for GW2 as you can see in this official ArenaNet blog post .

This is a joint competition that that is sponsored by ArenaNet and they mean for you to use these apps (if you want to) in game. That’s why they also announced it on their official Twitter channel, and will promote it further (such as announcing the winners) in the future.

See you in the Mists,
Ari

(edited by Raif.9507)

Graka.9457

Hey again!

Ari here, Overwolf CM.

I just wanted to add here that Overwolf is working with ArenaNet in a collaborative effort on a few contests that require use of Overwolf in game. Not only that, they are also sponsoring and hosting an Overwolf app developers challenge for GW2 as you can see in this official ArenaNet blog post .

This is a joint competition that that is sponsored by ArenaNet and they mean for you to use these apps (if you want to) in game. That’s why they also announced it on their official Twitter channel, and will promote it further (such as announcing the winners) in the future.

See you in the Mists,
Ari

Sweet thanks, I just like my account and didnt want to do anything that would get me into trouble lol.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Xiem.4719

Xiem.4719

Is it possible to get daily dolly now?

Raif.9507

Yep! It’s in the appstore so go get it! It’s under the TS|GW2 Contest category.

Posted by: Yannie Boy.2875

Yannie Boy.2875

I like Overwolf…..when it wants to work. It’s really finicky still. But when it works…it’s amazing.

Posted by: enigma.4873

enigma.4873

If ease of access to information is giving an advantage, than by default, /wiki (which is an in game function that sadly not too many people use anyway) should be against the rules too, eh?

“I don’t have any skeletons in my closet. I do however, have my own necropolis.”

Simply Vexed 80 Reaper / HOD / [CHEF/TAbS/BUTT]

Posted by: Regina Buenaobra

Regina Buenaobra

Content Marketing Lead

Overwolf runs separately from Guild Wars 2 and allows you to display overlays in-game. Apps created for Overwolf use the Guild Wars 2 official APIs, similar to other apps created by community members outside of Overwolf. And as Raif explained, there are further functionalities created by the app developers themselves that also do not impact the game client itself.

We are partnering with Overwolf on a few contests that they are hosting. You may have seen this information posted on our official channels:

We’ll also have another blog post on the official website going live this week that outlines the Streaming Contest and the WvW “War Reporter” contest with Overwolf.

Hope this clarifies things.

Thanks!

EDIT: blog post is now live: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-the-overwolf-world-vs-world-fall-tournament-contests/

Content Marketing Lead
Twitter: @ArenaNet, @GuildWars2
In-Game Name: Cm Regina Buenaobra

(edited by Regina Buenaobra.6193)

Posted by: Xiem.4719

Xiem.4719

Yep! It’s in the appstore so go get it! It’s under the TS|GW2 Contest category.

Hmm, i had to turn off gw2 and restart overwolf, cause whole “TS|GW2” was missing.
But it’s working now! Thanks =)

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I’m not really understanding where I download this from?

http://www.overwolf.com/apps/tsgw2_contest

I’m feeling pretty dense.

Posted by: Snowmoon.1758

Snowmoon.1758

I hope this doesn’t mean the floodgates are now open and addons like DPS meters, gearscore or other crap like that are going to be allowed in the future.

We’ve got enough nasty surprises from the Sept Feature pack already.

Staunch Supporter of Mounts in Guild Wars 2. Gimme mah Fluffeh White Bunneh!!!
Give us Mounts, Anet! Pretty Please with Chocolate, Whipped Cream, Cherry and Mayonnaise? d^_^b

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Overwolf runs separately from Guild Wars 2 and allows you to display overlays in-game. Apps created for Overwolf use the Guild Wars 2 official APIs, similar to other apps created by community members outside of Overwolf. And as Raif explained, there are further functionalities created by the app developers themselves that also do not impact the game client itself.

We are partnering with Overwolf on a few contests that they are hosting. You may have seen this information posted on our official channels:

We’ll also have another blog post on the official website going live this week that outlines the Streaming Contest and the WvW “War Reporter” contest with Overwolf.

Thanks!

EDIT: blog post is now live: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-the-overwolf-world-vs-world-fall-tournament-contests/

Yeah that’s all nice and everything, but Overwolf is for windows only, while GW2 is for windows AND mac. It would be better if those features were included in GW2 in the first place so that mac users weren’t left out.

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

It would be better if those features were included in GW2 in the first place so that mac users weren’t left out.

Couldn’t agree with you more and I am not a mac user.

Since launch this game has lacked any in-game method to find nearby events. For a while some third party api hacks were pulling the info into a webpage display to sort out events like world bosses and temples. Sadly the megaserver change botched up the ability to track many events like Temples.

This game should have launched with an in-game event browser. If not world wide, at least map wide. The ability to search for nearby events and have in-browser links to the nearest waypoints, etc.

Sorely lacking for two years.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

whats a mac? is that like an Iphone?

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

Yeah that’s all nice and everything, but Overwolf is for windows only, while GW2 is for windows AND mac. It would be better if those features were included in GW2 in the first place so that mac users weren’t left out.

Surely there must be some mac users who know enough scripting to work with htem and set the app up on mac too!

No?

Posted by: Drant.5902

Drant.5902

I released GW2Navi overlay app on July and continued to add features to it like:
- Analog clock showing current and next three world bosses with subscribable speech alarm.
- Start and end time prediction of individual events of meta event chain.
- Interactive Dry Top event map with Buried Locked Chest locations.
- Map completion icons of the Tyria world map.
- Daily achievements map and dungeon/personal checklist.
- Gathering nodes map for tier 1-6.
- Jumping puzzle map and checklist.
- Personal notepad to write game notes.
- Trading Post live tracker and calculator with voice notifier of item prices.

You can use all these features on the website or with the overlay without registering or installing anything (assuming you already have the ubiquitous Java program). There is even a Mac version, though I haven’t tested it because I don’t have a Mac.

Despite having made these apps, I agree that most of these features (like a basic world boss timer) should already be in the game in the first place, and this Overwolf contest seems like Anet is outsourcing their job to fans.

Attachments:

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

it’s been "approved’ it doesn’t modify the game, it’s just an overlay. I use steam overlay on gw2 myself.

Posted by: aRestless.6213

aRestless.6213

Surely there must be some mac users who know enough scripting to work with htem and set the app up on mac too!

No?

Yes… and no. I’ve got not doubt that an Overlay Application like Overwolf would be possible to implement on Mac and maybe there even is something similar available out there, but if you take a look at Overwolf’s app store you’ll notice that the number of available extensions for Overwolf (and that’s what’s giving advantage, not the host application itself) is not that high so far.

Also to my knowledge, developers who create apps for Overwolf don’t get rewarded monetary in any way (except of app contests of course). So to really create a benefit for players, you need volunteers who like to contribute such apps. Assuming that there are a lot less developers on Macs than on Windows computers, the number of these volunteers should be quite low, and the motivation to create apps for a relatively small audience also isn’t that high.

In the end you could say “hey, why not develop apps that work on Windows AND Mac?” That’s a good idea and in some cases this might work out, but for example my contribution to the app contest uses two operating system specific plugins for Overwolf. The first I would have to completely rewrite from scratch to get it running on Mac, the other one is completely impossible to implement on Mac.

So although I can understand you Mac users might feel left alone, I fear that there is not much hope for you.

Never lose track of your friends again, with Who’s Talking for Overwolf

(edited by aRestless.6213)

Posted by: Windsagio.1340

Windsagio.1340

Well, joking aside, my point was that it’s kind of offkilter to blame aNet for a lack of Mac api development if the tools are there.

Posted by: Mixistrike.7840

Mixistrike.7840

the overwolf servers had like poop bandwidth. 2hours downloading 46mb of data, and I have now 2mb already done o.O

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

Well, joking aside, my point was that it’s kind of offkilter to blame aNet for a lack of Mac api development if the tools are there.

It’s off kilter to expect it to be developed internally for their own game? No matter what platform, we are talking about this game here. Event browser should be in the game, it’s been 2 years. Platform has nothing to do with that lack of development.

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

Posted by: XPilo.5862

XPilo.5862

Man this addons is priceless be able to trake my dialy dungeons is just great.

Posted by: Barinthus.8347

Barinthus.8347

I must be stupid or something, I can’t figure out how to download those stuff. For instance http://www.overwolf.com/apps/ts_gw2_contest/eleipbaclaggfgaebdmdieecjmjpphmnocjndibp

How do I use that?

:-p Thanks in advance

Seeking Deaf Players. People who don’t use voice software welcome too!

Raif.9507

I must be stupid or something, I can’t figure out how to download those stuff. For instance http://www.overwolf.com/apps/ts_gw2_contest/eleipbaclaggfgaebdmdieecjmjpphmnocjndibp

How do I use that?

:-p Thanks in advance

Seems like this bad link has been floating around a lot, is this the link that you get while in the Appstore?

Raif.9507

Thanks!

I’m sorry, I wish we could port Overwolf over to Mac. While it’s something we want to accomplish in the future so no platform feels left out, but that is a ways out in the future (still on “what if” table of twinkle in the eye thoughts).

Porting to Mac will be very difficult as we use DirectX and many Windows oriented functions/files and things like that to make Overwolf.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

It doesn’t give you in game advantage.

Clearly that can’t be true, otherwise there’s no point in using it, is there?

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

Well ok going to test this new Overwolf thingumabob. If Anet ok with it I’m ok with it.

Necromancer Main

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

Until there is an overlay developed that plays nice with SweetFX in full-screen mode, I will always use SweetFX.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver