So Reddit Wins Again

So Reddit Wins Again

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kerin.9125

Kerin.9125

There have been many threads on here complaining about the stage IV Hope .. yet within hours of one appearing on Reddit there’s an Anet reply saying they’ll look into it:

MattP:

I’ll start taking a look to see how we can get it changed up quickly.

https://np.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3xsxhd/the_hope_iv_collection_is_alienating_the_player/cy7u0e3?context=1000

(edited by Kerin.9125)

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Bruno.3812

Bruno.3812

I guess even Devs are busy

Mikewonton
(Snip) “This is the same story for everyone who has HOPE including myself, what makes this post any different from the dozens of posts on reddit and the official forums (including mine lol) that promoted you to start taking a look? The write up is essentially the same length and detail as others imo, many were posted before you announced that you’ll be making fixes to the precursor system and many more were posted afterwards.”(snip)

anet_mattp
I’ve seen this brought up a couple of times over the last week or two, but have been buried under other work. This one happened to pop up while I had some down time and was looking for a place to respond about it.

(edited by Bruno.3812)

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Baconomics.8674

Baconomics.8674

They already kinda addressed this on the forums

• Fix issues that encourage toxic play or interactions. No collectible should be gated behind failed events, or mechanics that make you upset that another player is playing a specific way. Unfortunately these things take longer to fix and test around the fixes (don’t want to break something else on accident), so the turn around will be slower

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Update-on-Legendary-Collections-More

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

MattP also primarily uses Reddit over the forums as that is what he’s most familiar with. He’s also posting on his own time when he could be doing other things. If your company had forums, would you really be posting on them after you left work for the day?

One of the biggest complaints that I see is that the devs are not communicating enough. We have one that is trying their best to do so but is then criticized for using something other than the GW2 forums. What if he started using the GW2 forums all of the time? What would the next complaint be then? This is not the way to foster an environment for the devs to actively communicate with the players when all that’s going to happen is that they get criticized for how they choose to communicate or have it turned against them (as has happened in the past).

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

What will the next complaint be? I’m willing to $*(%&ing FIND OUT. Because the prospect of future complaints doesn’t let you ignore current ones.

They have got to get this reddit thing sorted. It’s making their official boards a laughingstock.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Why must they be required to post on the GW2 forums? They use all forms of social media so there’s no reason for everything to be restricted to these forums.

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Exxcalibur.6203

Exxcalibur.6203

“anet_mattp 1 point an hour ago
I’ve seen this brought up a couple of times over the last week or two, but have been buried under other work. This one happened to pop up while I had some down time and was looking for a place to respond about it.”

How about the game forum? ROFL.

Wth? I can imagine him thinking, “Hmm, gee.. where can I write this stuff.??”

“Skritt, I’m hit!"

So Reddit Wins Again

Nike.2631

Why? Because look at the dev tracker here. Its a wasteland. This is their own OFFICIAL outlet for information and we’re seeing VASTLY better responsiveness and communication out of house.

Do I blame the Devs over on reddit? No (other than Colin, who ought to know better). Something has gone systemically wrong at ANet that the individual Devs are not thinking “I should check my own house, first and foremost.”

Does it mean some training around the office? Almost certainly. Do they need to get less barbaric forum software? Yeah, probably. Do they need to ease off on restrictions that are driving their people to not post here? Ya think? There’s room for improvement on a whole bunch of fronts.

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Why must they be required to post on the GW2 forums? They use all forms of social media so there’s no reason for everything to be restricted to these forums.

Social Media is a good tool if properly utilized.

However when you already have a direct form of communication for game based issues, they should stay there (AKA the forums).

Now yes the forums are a joke, see the search feature….or the lack their of. See the numerous duplicate topics/mega merged threads and the lack of interaction due to how it’s been for the most part left to rot.

It’s perfectly fine for the devs to have more open discourse elsewhere without the fear of too much backlash, it’s not fine to ignore pressing community issues on the community forums for fear of being fired.

Pretty sure that sums up a vast majority of the problems with why people dislike the current state of both media platforms.

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

It’s perfectly fine for the devs to have more open discourse elsewhere without the fear of too much backlash, it’s not fine to ignore pressing community issues on the community forums for fear of being fired.

This. But that fear is more than legitimate given past incidents and the current affairs on the forums. I mean, look at the nasty way people respond every time Gaile posts anything.

Heck, if I was an ANet developer I wouldn’t post here either.

Gone to Reddit.

So Reddit Wins Again

Nike.2631

This. But that fear is more than legitimate given past incidents and the current affairs on the forums. I mean, look at the nasty way people respond every time Gaile posts anything.

If you can’t manage to give a good showing in your own front yard while you hold every imaginable card in terms of time to prep, inside knowledge, and an absolute stranglehold on moderation, you’re DOING IT WRONG.

And you’d be watching opinion surrounding your livelihood fester too.

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

People just need to mature a little on the forums and the devs will come back. I am glad they post on reddit where not thread crying about X again makes it to front page.

So Reddit Wins Again

TexZero.7910

You know, there might be some sorta reason why people are shooting the messenger currently. No disrespect meant toward Gaile at all she’s doing what she can given what she’s allowed.

But there is ultimately only so much she can do given the policies in place that have lead us to this spot.

Granted open communication was tried before and it worked, we’ve seen it work countless times. When it fails to work however is when the silence starts. I get that the devs are busy people, have lives etc…. But give that, they have enough time to post on reddit, i think its fair to say the same time could be invested into their forums or heck even the communication policies that are causing the issues to arise.

I mean there’s a whole community team, if they aren’t seeing these issues and pushing for changes then what is it they are doing ?

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Exxcalibur.6203

Exxcalibur.6203

ROFL.

They avoid off. forums because people are snarky? They cannot be that precious, surely. They run a business, lol . No words…

“Skritt, I’m hit!"

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

ROFL.

They avoid off. forums because people are snarky? They cannot be that precious, surely. They run a business, lol . No words…

We can start going to the Reddit too.

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Artemis Noir.3804

Artemis Noir.3804

Given the toxicity (as opposed to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism) that pervades these forums most of the time I can hardly blame them.
Besides, is it really THAT difficult for people to check into Reddit?
Hell, even some of the best user-created information is there. When I’m researching builds, I almost always end up on Reddit….

So Reddit Wins Again

TexZero.7910

Given the toxicity (as opposed to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism) that pervades these forums most of the time I can hardly blame them.
Hell, even some of the best user-created information is there. When I’m researching builds, I almost always end up on Reddit….

You know that the toxicity people talk about, really didn’t exist until we had massive voids in communication stemming from the change in policy right ?

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Artemis Noir.3804

Artemis Noir.3804

You know that the toxicity people talk about, really didn’t exist until we had massive voids in communication stemming from the change in policy right ?

Really? I have played this game since launch, and I well recall that within about a month people started with the self-entitled whining. Don’t misunderstand me, I don’t have an issue with people offering criticism on a product, this is necessary. Moreover, there are things that irk me about the game as well. However, none of that gives people license to be uncivil kitten s.

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Seeing the recent glut of meeeh topics on the forums lately, I checked out reddit, just because. Thankfully, it’s not the outlaw-laden land of bannable people I thought it to be. Pleasantly surprised. I generally see a bit less of both “entitled qq babies” and “entitled hardcord kittens” out there.
Downvoting works, apparently.

But, the topics on reddit are actually pretty sparse and there’s no organization among them. I haven’t seen one decent class discussion that wasn’t very specifically about “what best pewpewpvp build”. And while I see the occasional red post there, it’s only proportionally more frequent than the official forums. In general, I don’t see that many dev responses on reddit, not enough to justify saying “zomg why only reddit”.

I’ll be honest, I’ve occasionally gotten more prompt information from the GW2 Facebook account than I have from the forums, and that’s discouraging. The forums ought to be the central location for their communication, with sufficient cross-posts to other social outlets. As it is, their chatter is scattered, and it makes it difficult to be heard by a proper portion of the player base.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Perhaps, but I also see a lot of undeserved neg bombing as well, simply for disagreeing with another poster.

Personally I can’t stand Reddit, simply due to the way it’s formatted.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Bruno.3812

Bruno.3812

Perhaps, but I also see a lot of undeserved neg bombing as well, simply for disagreeing with another poster.

Personally I can’t stand Reddit, simply due to the way it’s formatted.

And I’ve seen where someone has gone through and downvoted everyone, like the thread where they were saying their main char name and how they came up with it. Almost everyone on the thread had a zero point vote rather than the one point you start off with.

(edited by Moderator)

So Reddit Wins Again

Ardenwolfe.8590

If you can’t manage to give a good showing in your own front yard while you hold every imaginable card in terms of time to prep, inside knowledge, and an absolute stranglehold on moderation, you’re DOING IT WRONG.

And you’d be watching opinion surrounding your livelihood fester too.

A perfect example of why developers post on Reddit and not here.

Gone to Reddit.

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Siobhan.5273

Siobhan.5273

They don’t have to be RESTRICTED to posting here, but doing so at some point on the given topic would be nice, being that, well, this is the Guild Wars 2 forums…

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

So Reddit Wins Again

Siobhan.5273

I was browsing Reddit the other night and came across a really sweet thread about a guild of about 15 people that just made a legendary for their guild leader and posted the video of them presenting it to her over on Reddit. Here is the thread

It took them about a year to gather the stuff to craft it, I’m assuming a group of casual folks (heck, it’s all good, I’m way too lazy to craft one!) and they were quite proud of her reaction and their accomplishment. Spreading some holiday warm and fuzzies. I’m down with that! Upvotes all around!

However let me state that Reddit wasn’t full of the love and feels I expected after reading how the Devs prefer it there to here. The rude stuff some folks had to say just left me stunned. How sad it was it took 15 people a year to craft it, how the guild leader wasn’t even likely a female IRL.. just a bunch of rude nasty trolls. Like every other online forum can be. If the Devs want a better atmosphere here, last I checked, they had the tools to help make that happen.

No news since October 28th 2014. Question asked straight up! 473 times. 647 days and thread locked..

(edited by Siobhan.5273)

So Reddit Wins Again

Ardenwolfe.8590

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s my understanding that any time an employee posts here, their response must first go through some kind of committee for approval. At least, that was the case some time ago after the SAB disaster.

If that’s still the case, Reddit might be a simple way to bypass this ‘committee’ and post without having your writing submitted for approval or disapproval.

If that’s still the case.

Gone to Reddit.

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

However let me state that Rddit wasn’t full of the love and feels I expected after reading how the Devs prefer it there to here. The rude stuff some folks had to say just left me stunned. How sad it was it took 15 people a year to craft it, how the guild leader wasn’t even likely a female IRL.. just a bunch of rude nasty trolls. Like every other online forum can be.

So, it’s basically just like this forum…I figured. lol

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Players do get directed here by support for help.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s my understanding that any time an employee posts here, their response must first go through some kind of committee for approval. At least, that was the case some time ago after the SAB disaster.

If that’s still the case, Reddit might be a simple way to bypass this ‘committee’ and post without having your writing submitted for approval or disapproval.

That’s the distinct impression I’ve gotten. This forum has classes devs have to attend first before they post, and if they say something “not right” there is a chat with upper management. That’s bound to have a very dampening effect on posting. With reddit, they can log on and chat without having to attend a class or be so careful.

So Reddit Wins Again

Siobhan.5273

However let me state that Rddit wasn’t full of the love and feels I expected after reading how the Devs prefer it there to here. The rude stuff some folks had to say just left me stunned. How sad it was it took 15 people a year to craft it, how the guild leader wasn’t even likely a female IRL.. just a bunch of rude nasty trolls. Like every other online forum can be.

So, it’s basically just like this forum…I figured. lol

hehe! Exactly!

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

That makes so much sense. It’s good to have a safe space away from all that pressure and authoritarian lenses.

“However let me state that Reddit wasn’t full of the love and feels I expected after reading how the Devs prefer it there to here.”

Well it is the internet.

“The rude stuff some folks had to say just left me stunned. How sad it was it took 15 people a year to craft it, how the guild leader wasn’t even likely a female IRL”

Why would it matter if they are or not?

“just a bunch of rude nasty trolls. Like every other online forum can be.”

Meh, it comes with the territory.

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: HenleyLegoMan.4987

HenleyLegoMan.4987

So, after reading this thread and the countless others created about communication on this official gw2 forum, there seems to be quite a bit of defence for them using Reddit. So, if Reddit is the main place for the devs to post on about the game and players concerns, should we all then be:

Reporting bugs etc on Reddit and not here for example?

I think it is a waste of time posting anything here now. No point if the responses are being made elsewhere.

I mean, if I was running a business and had my own company forums, why would I be using another media to post information?

And I don’t buy any of this “why would they post here with all the griefing?” Rubbish. It’s their site for gods sake. It’s not rocket science seeing that people are concerned with this.

Maybe anet should post on this forum to ask us all to join Reddit…

There has never been a good war, or a bad peace.

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

First let me clear up a few mis-impressions:

No one goes through a review or an approval process in order to post here. No one. I think I recall that years ago a team member mentioned something about approvals, but I do not know what that was about. I can say, though, that as the lead of the forums team today (for the last 15 months) we don’t review or approve posts.

What we are sometimes asked to do it post on behalf of a team. You’ve probably seen me do that recently about game changes, a WvW Sneak Peek, etc.

Sometimes we’re asked to read through a post to see if it makes sense, if it answers the questions, if there are other items that could be included.

Sometimes, someone asks me to give a “word smith” review. (I was a professional editor long before I joined Anet. Editing is something I like to do, and a help I can offer my fellow team members.) This doesn’t involve approval, this simply involves clarity.

Posts can be made where the ArenaNet team member is comfortable posting. No one is required to post. No one is forbidden from posting. I agree with you that sometimes there is info “out there” that I’d like to see on the official forums. In cases where I’m aware of it, I’ll ask the dev if he/she could also post here, or if we could synopsize the external post to share it here. I think it works, for the most part: the team member can post wherever he/she wishes, and we’ll do our best to share info here. (In the case of the concerns in the OP, I agree with Baconomics that we did cover the topic here, and I think we did that even before it was present on reddit.)

It’s true that each forum can have heated moments. Heck, I had a neutral info post buried once. It’s wasn’t personal, and I bear no scars. The fact is, members didn’t like the message and used down votes to “shoot the messenger.” (It was sort of a shame because then the info wasn’t known, which was the whole point of posting, but ah well.)

We don’t have up and down voting here, but people speak their minds, and sometimes that becomes over the top. We want to use moderation in the true sense — in a moderate sense — so we’re not likely to smite every single negative post, and I’m sure you know that. Getting more harsh here to encourage devs to post here is an interesting idea, but I’m not certain it’s good for the community as a whole, nor for the forum atmosphere in general.

ArenaNet doesn’t want to adopt a “post here and only here” approach to communications. I hope you’ll understand and support the inclusiveness of our communicating as being more important than the medium on which something is said.

Edit: Fixing italics.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

(In the case of the concerns in the OP, I agree with Baconomics that we did cover the topic here, and I think we did that even before it was present on reddit.)

Not to be rude but that post baconomic link made after people complain about it on reddit and not forum.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Reddit-is-now-the-new-official-forum/first#post5826342

Thank you for post and hope for improve communication here.

;)

So Reddit Wins Again

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I’m speaking about this one to which Baconomics linked. It’s clearly on these forums:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Update-on-Legendary-Collections-More

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

So Reddit Wins Again

Qugi.2653

I’m speaking about this one, clearly on these forums:

Yes made after complain in thread I link above which was post on reddit.

;)

So Reddit Wins Again

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

This is the link to the inital post:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Update-on-Legendary-Collections-More/5826761

Let me be clearer:

The post to which I referred was made on December 4th, 16:04

The post that formed the basis of the complaint in the first post of this thread is less than 24 hours old.

My point is that our devs did address some of the concerns early on.

Edit: To clarify.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I believe, from what various Anet people have said in various ways over a various period of time (I know I know, I’m being so scholarly with my source material here) that what it boils down to is basically this:

Anet Devs (the game developers, not community managers, support employees, or forum communications people) have the option to say things on the forums or on reddit, but it comes out of their own time, is not considered part of the job (so it’s hard to justify doing it during normal work hours), and it is completely up to them where they post, if they do at all, forums or reddit (since both are “official” platforms).

And let’s face it, this forum software is crap and no one knows it better than Anet. So if you’re a tech-savvy dev who wants to say something, which are you likely go for, the ancient outdated forum or the up-to-date with ongoing updates Reddit? On top of that, some devs are probably “redditors” themselves (as in, they use the website a lot in their free time).

Edit: Gaile beat me to it and she actually knows what she’s talking about LOL. Never mind!

Or words to that effect.

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: Markus.9084

Markus.9084

Posts can be made where the ArenaNet team member is comfortable posting. No one is required to post. No one is forbidden from posting. I agree with you that sometimes there is info “out there” that I’d like to see on the official forums. In cases where I’m aware of it, I’ll ask the dev if he/she could also post here, or if we could synopsize the external post to share it here. I think it works, for the most part: the team member can post wherever he/she wishes, and we’ll do our best to share info here.

So you’re the “ArenaNet Forum Communications Team Lead”, but in fact you don’t lead anything…. since every dev can do whatever they want, no ?

ArenaNet doesn’t want to adopt a “post here and only here” approach to communications. I hope you’ll understand and support the inclusiveness of our communicating as being more important than the medium on which something is said.

I disagree, the medium is very important because :
A) Not all the players know how to use Reddit, and some don’t even know what it is.
B) Some players can hardly understand English (in the French, German, or Spanish server for example)

So Reddit Wins Again

Posted by: HenleyLegoMan.4987

HenleyLegoMan.4987

Thank you for your response Gaile, as always it is much appreciated!

I don’t think anyone is really saying that they are against arenanet sticking to just one media to communicate on, I think it’s more that maybe responses should be done in tandem with other sites. This way, both official forum users and Reddit users can access posts and responses simultaneously.

That would be best thing to do in my personal opinion :-)

There has never been a good war, or a bad peace.

So Reddit Wins Again

Qugi.2653

This is the link to the inital post:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Update-on-Legendary-Collections-More/5826761

Let me be clearer:

The post to which I referred was made on December 4th, 16:04

The post that formed the basis of the complaint in the first post of this thread is less than 24 hours old.

My point is that our devs did address some of the concerns early on.

Edit: To clarify.

Yes but you say it was post here before reddit and was not. The complaint about it post on reddit first here.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Reddit-is-now-the-new-official-forum/

This post made before you post it here.

I do not want to argue. Try to be nice but the information you link was post on reddit first. Have a nice night.

;)

(edited by Qugi.2653)

So Reddit Wins Again

Previous

Gaile Gray

Markus — I lead the forum team. That means we share messaging, we manage moderation, we handle forum appeals, we organize forums when new ones are required, give forum credentials to new team members, and more. No, I am not in charge of managing, vetting, or directing forum posts by members of the ArenaNet team. Nor should I be.

To be clear: I am not suggesting that the medium is completely UNimportant. I am saying that I feel that communicating is simply more important than the place where the communication is posted.

I take your comments about our non-English-speaking community very seriously. In fact, it’s at the forefront of my thinking every day. We’re able to localize some developer posts, including some of those we gather from other media and particularly the large update posts that you see come along (like the WvW Sneak Peek). Some comments by devs appear only in English. Such as this discussion, in fact. I don’t have a perfect solution for that, but please be sure that I do respect our non-EN community and will endeavour to see that they are served as well as possible, whenever possible.

HenleyLegoMan — that would be ideal. It would require coordination, of course, but it would ease the challenge of making sure our non-English community is well served. Definitely something I want to talk about in the new year.

Qugi — the topic was covered on December 4th here. Yes, there was more and more specific discussion yesterday on Reddit, but the general topic was covered here, first, nearly three weeks ago.

Here’s the quote:

• Fix issues that encourage toxic play or interactions. No collectible should be gated behind failed events, or mechanics that make you upset that another player is playing a specific way. Unfortunately these things take longer to fix and test around the fixes (don’t want to break something else on accident), so the turn around will be slower

I’m sorry if you don’t understand, but let’s just agree that we see this one differently.

I think this discussion has run its course. I hope that the information I have provided is helpful to you and that you have greater insight into how things operate in relation to forum communication.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet