So You Want a Legendary and You're Poor -- A mean-spirited guide

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Agent Noun.7350

Agent Noun.7350

A Request. This thread isn’t for people to bellyache about how hard it is to get a legendary, how they’re not “legendary,” or how precursors shouldn’t rely on RNG. If you’re not interested in figuring out how to work within the system that’s in place, this ain’t your thread, bucko.

So you don’t have a legendary yet. You know what?

Good.

Yeah, I wrote that. Good. The game has been out a month and a half, roughly—it’s a good thing that you and I don’t have legendary weapons yet. How boring would it be if it only took a month and a half to get to 80 and get a legendary? Sure, some people have them already, but they’re either exceptionally dedicated players or… well, more about them below.

What makes these weapons so legendary, anyway? Well, I don’t work for ArenaNet, but if I had to guess, I’d say that their creation is designed to test your mastery of every aspect of the game.

• Mastery of Combat. You need a whole lot of Badges of Honor from World vs. World.
  • Mastery of Trade. You need a whole lot of money. A whole lot.
  • Mastery of Exploration. Gifts of Exploration. Enough said.
  • Mastery of Crafting. You need two crafting skills at 400. Probably the easiest part, all told.
  • Mastery of Dungeons. Each legendary requires a gift from a certain dungeon. Get used to that dungeon. You and it will be friends.

That’s what makes these weapons legendary: if all goes well, you know that anyone wielding a legendary weapon is really good at every aspect of Guild Wars 2. Pretty cool, huh?

The real situation. Okay, let me level with you. Those players who already have legendaries? Most of them had help. There are entire guilds that formed in the early days of Guild Wars 2 with the goal of making the first legendary weapon. That said, it is possible to get a legendary on your own—it’s just going to take longer.

How do I make money? That was a fairly long preamble, but let’s be honest: the thing you’re probably worried about, right now, is your ability to make money. My advice? Before you do any of the below things, you need to know this: stop spending your kittening money. Just stop. If you have a full set of rare armor, weapons, and jewelry, you have everything you need to start working on your legendary. Stop buying different exotic sets. You can get your exotics from dungeons easy enough, and make money doing it. Stop trying to “play the Trading Post.” Save your kittenloving money.

Ahem. There.

Another disclaimer: I’m sorry, but you probably can’t get Sunrise or Twilight right now. The costs of those precursors has gone through the roof. Some people exploited the everloving kitten out of those things, and now a small group of players essentially controls the market. None of the below advice is going to apply to those. The Mystic Forge really is your best bet there, because it’s unlikely that you can make money faster than Dusk or Dawn’s price rises. Quite frankly, that sucks. Unless ArenaNet can find some way to remove those Dusks and Dawns and that money from the game, that market’s kittened.

(I want you to know I’m actually typing “kitten.”)

Malchor’s Leap, Cursed Shore, and Frostgorge Sound are goldmines. Or, rather, orichalcum mines. Not counting the nodes in Eternal Battlegrounds, there are 12 orichalcum nodes and 12 ancient/Orrian saplings in the world, and they reset every 24 hours. Chances are, someone on your server has an up-to-date map of their locations, but keep in mind that the locations change whenever there’s a server reset. If you mine all of the orichalcum available to you and chop down all that ancient wood, and then sell it all, that’s about 1.5 gold per day at current prices—and that’s if that’s all you do. That’s not taking into account that you can hit all these nodes again on another character, if you have another 80.

So step one is: gather all the orichalcum and ancient wood available to you every day.

After that it’s up to you. Here are some other options:

Agent Noun.7350

Run events in Orr and Frostgorge Sound. And for the love of kittens, don’t run the same events over and over again. Don’t just stand at Penitent Path in Cursed Shore thinking that’s what all the cool farmers do. That’s for idiots. Run around and do all of the events. You’ll be killing a variety of enemies, which really delays the onset of diminishing returns, and you’ll be running a variety of events, which also delays the onset of diminishing returns. Wear Magic Find jewelry and put some Runes of the Pirate in your armor and go to town.

Run dungeons. Any dungeons. Completing a path of an explorable dungeon will award you with 26 silver and 60 tokens once per day. There are eight dungeons with at least three paths each. Do all the dungeons you want to—most of them really aren’t that hard once you learn what they’re all about and how to avoid each boss’s signature attack. Ascalonian Catacombs is especially fruitful, since your level 80 gear will make you kill enemies and bosses very quickittenhere even while downscaled.

If a rare drops for you, sell it on the Trading Post. Conventional wisdom has said that you should salvage rare equipment for Globs of Ectoplasm, but the price of ectos is dropping quickly, and the cost of salvage kits will cut into your profits too much. So just sell the rares themselves. Chances are you’ll make more money doing that in the long run.

If you’re playing actively, mining and woodcutting, and running dungeons or events instead of sitting in town spending your money on the Mystic Forge, you can make 3 to 5 gold per day. And remember: save your kittenloving money.

One last thing: you can do this. Especially if you read this far: you can get a legendary weapon. It will take some time. It’s a long-term goal—a very long-term goal—and it’s entirely possible that you still won’t have it in December. But if you keep working towards it while doing other things that you have fun with in the game, it’ll come eventually.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

While a lot of that seems like common sense, I’ve learned long ago that there’s nothing common about sense. Well said Noun. Good advice.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

The “Master of Trade” one is the only component that’s actually difficult. Coincidentally it’s the least important, in terms of proving you actually deserve one.

So:

• Don’t enjoy money.
  • Grind every day, the same three areas to make money you will not enjoy.
  • Keep in mind prices are so high it doesn’t matter how much money you make by grinding.
  • Keep grinding.

A solid plan. I remember in Guild Wars 1 having a personal goal of having every profession to 80 in PvE, with three 15k sets on each, with rare weapon skins for all of them. With all of their profession skills across all campaigns unlocked and purchased. And I did it. In Guild Wars 2, it’s unlikely you’ll ever get one such accomplish, much less several across all characters. They started with a blank sheet of paper; it’s not like their hands were tied in making this ridiculous grind-centric, elitist system. Especially when their mantra was dismantling the worst aspects of MMOs and transforming the genre into a type of game that’s more about choice than painstaking time investments. In that respect, GW2 has been a colossal failure, especially compared to the first game, which is still miles ahead of where GW2 should have started.

Posted by: Trock Bronze.9625

Trock Bronze.9625

people are just annoy4ed they can’t get a legendary weapon asap like other MMOs and that it requires real work, legendary effort, to get. Also since the stats aren’t any better then exotics they think its not legendary, cool, don’t get one then, the entire point is they are hard to get skins not stats. Honestly the only response needed to people who still want to complain and say the system is cheap and so on, deal with it. It hasn’t stopped those who are willing to put in effort.

Posted by: Wolfgang Michael.8217

Wolfgang Michael.8217

Love your post man. Will be very helpful for anyone looking to make some hard earned cash.

Posted by: Logun.2349

Logun.2349

Op, I can agree with most of what you said except for giving ANet a Pass on the use of a Random Number Generator to preserve the rarity.

This game fixed a lot of systems to save MMO players from the things they came to hate about the MMO genre the most, from kill steeling to node jacking….. add RNG to the list.

I personally would have thought ANet would have been smart enough to realize MMO players who live and die by RPG rule sets are all about the percentages and the odds.

When you give MMO/RPG players a set of dice with the dots rubbed off effectively making the success or failure based completely on a random event (and not giving them a system to affect to odds) you effectively break the game for them.

Relying on a random chance event to being the precursor to obtaining the most sought after prizes in the game is just a total fail as far as I’m concerned. It’s a black hole money sink of kitten’ing you over that wipes all effort put into it by one RNG is no fun.

Agent Noun.7350

Op, I can agree with most of what you said except for giving ANet a Pass on the use of a Random Number Generator to preserve the rarity.

This game fixed a lot of systems to save MMO players from the things they came to hate about the MMO genre the most, from kill steeling to node jacking….. add RNG to the list.

I personally would have thought ANet would have been smart enough to realize MMO players who live and die by RPG rule sets are all about the percentages and the odds.

When you give MMO/RPG players a set of dice with the dots rubbed off effectively making the success or failure based completely on a random event (and not giving them a system to affect to odds) you effectively break the game for them.

Relying on a random chance event to being the precursor to obtaining the most sought after prizes in the game is just a total fail as far as I’m concerned. It’s a black hole money sink of kitten’ing you over that wipes all effort put into it by one RNG is no fun.

I’m not trying to give ArenaNet a “pass”—I’m just suggesting ways to work within the current system. If it changes, great! Otherwise, this post is meant to offer a way to work with what we’re given.

The “Master of Trade” one is the only component that’s actually difficult. Coincidentally it’s the least important, in terms of proving you actually deserve one.

So:

• Don’t enjoy money.
  • Grind every day, the same three areas to make money you will not enjoy.
  • Keep in mind prices are so high it doesn’t matter how much money you make by grinding.
  • Keep grinding.

You’re right that trade is probably the hardest part, but the only thing it demands of you is time.

I’m of the belief that even if RNG is removed from the process of getting a legendary, it should still take a long time. It’s a long-term goal—it’s not meant to be done comfortably while you’re just casually playing the game. If you’re playing a couple of hours a day like I do, you can still make a reasonable amount of gold just by doing the things that are available in the game. I run dungeons with my guild. I run around Orr doing events and mining. And then I save that money.

What do you mean by “don’t enjoy money,” anyway? Do you enjoy just having a bunch of money sitting around in your inventory screen? Or do you want to be able to buy all of your cultural armor within a month and still have enough left to get your legendary? Once you have a full set of rares there’s nothing worth spending money on that isn’t exotic jewelry, cosmetic armor or weapons, or a legendary. If the legendary is what you want, what’s the problem with saving up for it?

Full disclosure: I could have about 10 more gold than I do now if I’d realized I could get exotics more easily through dungeons than through crafting them myself. I would’ve just made myself a set of rares and started doing dungeons immediately. I’ve got full exotics, though, so all of my dungeon tokens are just going towards looking cooler.

I’m not saying “grind a whole lot!” I’m saying “play the game and do the things that are available to do and the money will come in at its own pace.”

Listen. I’d agree that legendaries should be easier to get if either of these two things were true:

• If legendaries were more powerful than exotics. (They’re not—not by a single point. That was outdated information.)
  • If ArenaNet was going to eventually make it impossible to get them—thus making legendaries a “limited time offer” or something.

But neither of those things are true. You have time. You won’t have your legendary this month, most likely, and unless you’re a very serious player you probably won’t have it next month. But I bet if you started saving your money instead of spending it, you could have it by late December, maybe January. There might even be new dungeons and new open world areas for you to play in by then, too.

Agent Noun.7350

Or you could just buy the gold like Anet wants you to. The whole game is designed to encourage micro transactions. This design decision really bit them in the butt though as it created a market for bots to thrive.

Between this and D3 2012 is really bad year for gaming.

Oh, hey, I didn’t even notice this post tucked between my two.

Please stop with this ridiculous conspiracy theory stuff, okay? This game is not designed to reward the buying of gold. If it was, the gem-to-gold conversion rate would be a whole lot better than it is. If I can make $15-$20 worth of gold (by the current conversion rate) per day just by playing normally—doing dungeons with my guild and running around Orr and Frostgorge gathering and doing events—then it’s absolutely ludicrous to suggest that buying it would be any faster.

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

Mastery of Combat. You need a whole lot of Badges of Honor from World vs. World.

READ: you are forced to participate in WPVP, despite it being a hackfest render fail nightmare at the best of times and a zergfest at the worst, it’s not for everyone but now is mandatory if you want a legendary. Also don’t buy siege with your badges

Mastery of Trade. You need a whole lot of money. A whole lot.

READ: you need to flip a lot of items, discover an exploit and hope it’s not a bannable one and also miserly save your money and stay in specific areas and avoid teleporting also don’t repair or buy siege weapons… or yeah, just buy money from a-net xD

Mastery of Exploration. Gifts of Exploration. Enough said.

READ: go run around and see how desolate some parts of the world are to justify their existance, you’ll be rewarded and maybe take part in one or two events that won’t be worth your time anyways to break the tedium

Mastery of Crafting. You need two crafting skills at 400. Probably the easiest part, all told.

READ: have gotten the crafting skills blitzed before they “fix them” further making component drops too abundant or horribly scarce, fight DR as needed and simmer for 20 minutes in your chair wondering what the heck is going on

Mastery of Dungeons. Each legendary requires a gift from a certain dungeon. Get used to that dungeon. You and it will be friends.

READ: laugh hard at the absurdly silly “only 80’s wanted” or “must know dungeon and be in exotics” party requests xD

please note that this response is meant to be taken LIGHTHEARTEDLY and is more of a joke comment with a mildly serious undertone that while these are exaggerated things, they are all mild issues which seem to be horribly counter intuitive to both the games design principles and in any sense of real “progression” aside from play the legendary lottery etc

Irony…. xD

Agent Noun.7350

Well, hey, like I said: “if all goes well” then you should know that anyone with a legendary is great at all aspects of GW2.

I didn’t say all went well.

But again: I’d ask that people not use this thread to complain about the current process for getting a legendary weapon. I’d like to talk about how we can accomplish that while playing normally assuming nothing changes.

Hellkaiser.6025

How would one accomplish it?
Three simple answers to that question

1: grind and get lucky
2: grind and get very lucky
3: grind and get incredibly massively ridiculously lucky

Irony…. xD

Agent Noun.7350

Yes. If you want to get your legendary right now holy kittens if it isn’t in my hand by the end of October I will literally die, you’ve got a heck of a grind in front of you.

If you’re comfortable with maybe seeing that snazzy hammer or staff in December or January, maybe, and just playing the game and not throwing money all over the place in the process, I hardly see that as a grind. Everything that you need to get a legendary can be slowly accumulated by playing the game normally (unless, of course, you just really don’t like WvW or dungeons or events or playing the game at all). Playing the game normally and accumulating the things you need to get a legendary as you do so is only a grind if you don’t actually like the game, in which case I question the sanity of wanting a legendary at all.

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

In for the long haul myself. I’ll get all those things..in good time. But I don’t need any of it 60 days into the game.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Hellkaiser.6025

Like I said, even if you’re NOT in a rush, you could still hate PVP and thus you’re now immediately disqualified lol.

Irony…. xD

Posted by: nastyjman.8207

nastyjman.8207

Thanks for the tips! I have been salvaging my rares, so I’m deeply losing out on cash on that end. But I sell all of the exotics that I can’t use.

I see legendaries as a long-term goal. I log in everyday just to chip away at the huge block of requirements.

First Team to reach 250 has 87% chance to win (Updated 7/30/2014) : http://bit.ly/1lWH6T8

Agent Noun.7350

Like I said, even if you’re NOT in a rush, you could still hate PVP and thus you’re now immediately disqualified lol.

You can get Badges of Honor from doing the jumping puzzles in WvW—quite a few, actually. If you get with a group that’s doing them, you can get a decent amount of guaranteed badges every day.

But, as is the theme of this thread: “It’s not perfect, but here’s how to work with what we’ve got.”

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

Well, hey, like I said: “if all goes well” then you should know that anyone with a legendary is great at all aspects of GW2.

But again: I’d ask that people not use this thread to complain about the current process for getting a legendary weapon. I’d like to talk about how we can accomplish that while playing normally assuming nothing changes.

How to accomplish it is easy, assuming that everything you listed involves only normal play. All that’s needed is patience. Nothing more. The problem is that for many, it requires abnormal play.

PvP is abnormal for a lot of people, myself included. It’s not the game we signed up for and not the game we are interested in playing. PvP is an entirely different beast from PvE, which the game recognizes throughout by keeping them completely separate. However, to participate in the only long-term goal that the game actually provides, it forces people to bridge that divide and basically play not only a different game, but one that robs the entire game of any kind of enjoyment. Playing a game that gives you no pleasure is the epitome of abnormal play.

Too bad that patience, hard work and a little luck isn’t enough to chase this end-game goal. Sometimes, you also need play another game altogether, to achieve it.

Posted by: Fox.1054

Fox.1054

All those arts are nice and all, but in the end it’s all about the art of grinding. This is like GW1’s obsidian armor but ten times worse. It would’ve actually been an art and support GW’s reputation if these would be for fighting to the top in PvP.

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

Don’t forget that legendaries in this game are NOT like those from WoW. The ones in this game are a slight stat upgrade from an exotic weapon. So slight that if you’re struggling with time to grind or money that it’s not even worth it unless you want the legendary ONLY for the fancy look. Even then there is only one that looks cool. All the other are just meh or a pure joke like the long and shortbows.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Problem with your guide, all those materials are actually needed to make a legendary so if you just mine and sell everything now you’ll have to buy it all back later losing more than you made.

Posted by: Levelord.5746

Levelord.5746

You can’t work with a system that relies on chance for getting a precursor. Telling people this is a guide to work within the system is ridiculous because it’s equivalent to telling people to work within the system of a casino slot machine that almost never pays out.

The OP’s post is complete ignorance and assumes people aren’t willing to work for the legendary materials. Nobody is complaining about gathering legendary mats. It’s until you reach the slot machine point where it just eats up your effort and gives nothing back that is the problem.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I figure the way to do it is start with mastery of combat, exploration, and dungeons. Save getting the precursor until you’re most of the way to being done. By then you’ll have a pile of wealth, the relative value of precursors will have come down, and quite possibly, ANet will have relaxed how hard the precursors are.

I’m betting that almost all the people whining about how hard/expensive the precursors are don’t have the other steps completed yet. So even if ANet handed them a precursor for free, they still wouldn’t have a legendary.

Posted by: Ordika.9513

Ordika.9513

Thanks for the guide Noun, gave me a lot to think about when I hit 80 and whether or not a legendary becomes my goal.

But I have to say Legendary should equal Legendary, I don’t need one so if I want one and can put in the time and effort to get it I really earned that Legendary. I don’t even have a problem with the RNG portion of it.

Ordika Skirata || Keirstaad Rhith || Rhun Turold || Quinten Vigar || Ahrung Park
Swansonites of North Shiverpeak – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Strill.2591

Strill.2591

How to accomplish it is easy, assuming that everything you listed involves only normal play. All that’s needed is patience. Nothing more. The problem is that for many, it requires abnormal play.

PvP is abnormal for a lot of people, myself included. It’s not the game we signed up for and not the game we are interested in playing. PvP is an entirely different beast from PvE, which the game recognizes throughout by keeping them completely separate. However, to participate in the only long-term goal that the game actually provides, it forces people to bridge that divide and basically play not only a different game, but one that robs the entire game of any kind of enjoyment. Playing a game that gives you no pleasure is the epitome of abnormal play.

Too bad that patience, hard work and a little luck isn’t enough to chase this end-game goal. Sometimes, you also need play another game altogether, to achieve it.

Do the jumping puzzles. They’re much more efficient than killing other players anyway.

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

You can’t work with a system that relies on chance for getting a precursor. Telling people this is a guide to work within the system is ridiculous because it’s equivalent to telling people to work within the system of a casino slot machine that almost never pays out.

The OP’s post is complete ignorance and assumes people aren’t willing to work for the legendary materials. Nobody is complaining about gathering legendary mats. It’s until you reach the slot machine point where it just eats up your effort and gives nothing back that is the problem.

I wonder why so many people complain about the RNG, some of which are outspokenly positive about other themepark mmo’s that have rare drops that are considered essential (jewelry and such) that a) have a very very low droprater b) have to be rolled for against others. a and b combined nets into maybe even a lower overal droprate than the precursor.

Posted by: Safari.3021

Safari.3021

Said it in another thread and I’ll say it here too:

Bought the precursor “rage” for the harpoon gun “Frenzy” last night. Cost little over 30g.

A much better investment than a 300g dawn or dusk, If another precursor drops while I’m gathering the mats for it (100 molten lodestones will cost 60g , double the price of the precursor lol) and if a better precursor drops while im doing so, then great! fabulous! I’ll craft that instead. And if not, I dont care, I’ll have my legendary.

I’m a ranger, I’ve got the look I want, hot pink duelist armor, I have a corrupted shortbow and also a voltaic spear (al’adfafuya or something) and a crystalline sword, both items I wanted in gw1 and never got, so I’m happy enough to carry on playing.

“OMGWTF noob go die who the kitten wants an underwater weapon”
Well, I’m not fussed tbh, my legendary badge on character select wil get filled long before the people getting frustrated trying for a dawn/dusk, and I’m quite happy hanging out with the quaggans in frostgorge. HoooOOOOooooo.

I seriously doubt these will be the only legendarys, I reckon more will come with future expansions (heres hoping for a legendary derish scythe).

Also, when we actually do get round to an expansion featuring the Deep Sea Dragon, I’ll be the coolest cat in town and all those sunrises and twilights will look oh so expensively cool wrapped up in their waterproof backpacks.

Posted by: Safari.3021

Safari.3021

And I already got my gift of battle, it cost 500 badges, took me two weeks of on/off wvw play and 2004 wvw kills. Wasn’t hard and I got a load of karma from the continuous events there.
There are some hackers and bugs in wvw, but not every server has been using them, I’ve not seen any at all in any of my servers match ups (Aurora Glade)

Agent Noun.7350

Problem with your guide, all those materials are actually needed to make a legendary so if you just mine and sell everything now you’ll have to buy it all back later losing more than you made.

I’m just talking about getting enough money for a precursor or the Icy Runestones. You don’t have to do the whole process as one step—it’s not one big buy. If you’d rather stockpile all those resources up front and make money another way, that’s probably possible. My guide assumes this order when it comes to the “thing you need money for” part of the program:

1. Get enough money for Icy Runestones and to buy a precursor.
2. Begin to stockpile the stacks of materials you need to actually make it.

I’m trying to be realistic here, too: this is going to take months for most people. My “guide,” for what it is, assumes that you’ll be doing other things in the process, otherwise yeah, it’s going to be a massive grind.

Unless you want Twilight or Sunrise, you can probably buy your legendary precursor if you’re capable of making and saving the necessary funds. Generating the precursors is random, yes, but buying them is a sure thing, a one-time deal.

I acknowledged the problems with Dawn and Dusk in my post: they’ve been exploited to kittentown and back and a few people have the market absolutely cornered on them. For those, yeah, you’re going to have to rely on RNG, and I’m sorry. The price is going up faster than we can likely make money. But Sunrise and Twilight aren’t the only legendaries, and many of them can reasonably be purchased by someone willing to save up enough money.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

So, they close threads about DR and bots, now the popular thing to do is have kittens about the Legendary Weapons.

I don’t have a problem with it. Any process that leads to the Legendary acquisition will be:

A: Too easy, leading to complaints that “everyone” has one and therefore it’s not really Legendary.

B: Too hard, leading to complaints that “no one” can get one without cheating the system.

C: Both at the same time.

There literally is no middle ground, no perfect system, no way to please everyone on the issue. If you are happy, someone else is unhappy. And they are going to tell you about it.

I view this is a long-term process, it’s a side-effect of playing the game for a long time. I’m not going to spend 10 hrs a day doing something I hate so I can feel special because I have a big glowy sword. At a certain point after reaching 80 you’ve gotten all the equipment and stuff you need, that’s the time to start piling up the mats and gold you need to work towards the Legendary. After a few weeks or a few months, you’ll have enough resources to try for the items you need, and/or to buy them from the TP.

This isn’t a race, the first Bitfrost created looks just like the 100th. It gives people something to do when they are complaining that they reached level 80 and 100% completion and are bored…

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

Unless you want Twilight or Sunrise, you can probably buy your legendary precursor if you’re capable of making and saving the necessary funds. Generating the precursors is random, yes, but buying them is a sure thing, a one-time deal.

I acknowledged the problems with Dawn and Dusk in my post: they’ve been exploited to kittentown and back and a few people have the market absolutely cornered on them. For those, yeah, you’re going to have to rely on RNG, and I’m sorry. The price is going up faster than we can likely make money. But Sunrise and Twilight aren’t the only legendaries, and many of them can reasonably be purchased by someone willing to save up enough money.

The prices won’t keep going up forever. People keep thinking they will, regardless of what history shows us. Not that long ago, the RL housing market was like that. People “flipped” houses repeatedly, buying them and selling at a profit to other speculators who sold at a profit to other speculators. Eventually they ran out of people to sell to because anyone who actually wanted a house to live in couldn’t afford them any more. Crash.

The same thing will happen here, eventually the people with lots of cash and no patience will get their shiny big swords and there won’t be anyone to buy 1000g Dawn/Dusk and the prices will drop.

Maybe it’s just me, but why would you want these, anyway? In a few months there will be hundreds of them in circulation on every server, you won’t be able to throw a dead skelk without hitting three people swinging a Legendary 2-hander. I’m leaning towards Bitfrost for an elementalist, Bolt or Frostfang for anyone else.

Posted by: Cancer.9065

Cancer.9065

+1

The spirit of the post should be understood by every GW player

Cancer is also a Zodiac sign.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Exploiter´s should not make ton of gold from them,and farming gold Korea style is a bad design to get legendary s.

Posted by: K Cross.3458

K Cross.3458

You don’t need to like PVP to get the badges. You can do the 3 Borderlands Jumping puzzles every day. If you have 5 characters you can get around 75 badges per day.

Just do it when there’s little to no queue, otherwise you are ruining the pvp fo the players that are there to actually play the wvw.

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

I am slowly working my way to them and am not in any rush to get them. Like why rush? there is so much to do and i been sick so i havnt been able to play much. I am also taking my time and learning all professions (i got more character slots just for it). WvWvW is actually pretty fun if you give it a chance and be smart about it. Sure most people zerg but i dont usually and i run around taking back supply camps and help with little tasks such as defending and ect which is not a zerg fest. Patience is what people lack so far in this game. They want everything immediately and dont want to work towards it or wait. The precursor weapons also drop from monsters and appear in chests. I will find them in my own time and if i really want to i could gamble but its like the old GW1 boss weapons which had only a small chance of dropping and only had a nice skin. You would run the dungeon over and over just to get that 1 weapon out of the chest or kill that single boss over and over till it dropped. This is the exact same thing expect its not just 1 single boss.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

“How boring would it be if it only took a month and a half to get to 80 and get a legendary? "

It took a month for me to get my flameward hippogryph (read: time spent doing things other than battlegrounds), since dailies can only be done by the day. I actually enjoyed it when I got it even though it felt too long since the perseverance was rewarded.

Agent Noun.7350

Exploiter´s should not make ton of gold from them,and farming gold Korea style is a bad design to get legendary s.

Two questions:

1. How is my post in any way encouraging or defending exploiters? I’m saying there’s nothing we, as players, can do about them. If ArenaNet can help fix this whole Dawn/Dusk problem, great, but we can’t count on that, nor can we do it ourselves.
2. How is “play the game normally and just don’t spend your money like crazy” equal to “farming gold Korea style?”

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

My plan is simply to run around the world starting at the Asura starting zone and making a big loop, salvaging and mining everything I can. I’ll keep whatever is relevant to the legendary and then sell what isn’t. From natural gameplay I already have over 300 linen, so there’s a start. If selling it isn’t worth it then I’ll just save it for my tailor to level his tailoring (I stopped at cotton because 12 slot bags seem big enough).

But… my first money will be spent on exotics (already have level 78 shoulders for the thief just from my elementalist getting 100% completion on Cursed Shore) since my pants and coat are only level 70 (yes, exotics). They’re about as good as 80 rares, but still, wearing level 80 exotics in a level 10 zone would be like being level 10 wearing those same exotics with properly scaled down stats. Level 10 armor has a little of one stat whereas level 80 armor has a lot of two stats (plus a secondary), so that getting scaled down would still be powerful =)

I’m also satisfied with my 20 power/20 vitality/ 20 precision/10 toughness traits (both thief and elementalist) build so I’m not going to pick up a grandmaster book.

Posted by: Zasus.1546

Zasus.1546

Legendary items should be, in my opinion, obtained through achievements score, pvp “completion”, and pve “completion”. It should be long and tedious, I agree wholeheartedly that it should take a large amount of item before you can obtain it.But why do the players need to experience the monopoly of the precursor items? Why do we need to farm like bots in order to obtain a legendary?

I want to obtain the prerequisites for a legendary with my skills, not by how much time I can waste grinding or using the economy to my advantage.