So about Abaddon...

So about Abaddon...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zera Allimatti.2541

Zera Allimatti.2541

Wooden Potatoes brought up some very interesting points in his recent video about Abaddon. There is a link below to the video for those who have not seen it and are interested.

While the speculation brought on is really mind blowing and incredible, I don’t think ArenaNet is capable of making such a great use of the GW1 lore. I really don’t think ArenaNet can do the amazing ‘full circle’ that this speculation is insinuating. To think that Abaddon might be this unsung hero, that the events of Nightfall occurred literally right before the awakening of Primordus (and that I killed Abaddon, ascending Kormir to godhood and did the bidding of the other gods because they didn’t know better than Abaddon), is incredible and extremely unlikely to me. There is no way this current ArenaNet would make such good use of the GW1 lore. They’ve been largely ignoring it all these years.

I really don’t mean to be insulting, ArenaNet, but I really don’t think you have it in you to pull off such an amazing use of GW1 lore.

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I really really really (times a googolplex) hope I’m wrong and ArenaNet can pull it off.

PROVE ME WRONG, ARENANET, I GOOGOLPLEX DARE YOU!

Give us more GW 1 weapon and armor skins, please. COPY/PASTE ALREADY!!!!

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

To be fair what you are talking about wouldn’t really be “pulling off amazing use of GW1 lore” but rather more or less completely changing GW1 lore, which people have been whining about them doing since before release of GW2.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

So about Abaddon...

Zera Allimatti.2541

True. Regardless, something like this would be WAY more interesting than that mess that was Scarlet.

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

True. Regardless, something like this would be WAY more interesting than that mess that was Scarlet.

I liked Scarlett. All a matter of personal preference.

So about Abaddon...

Zera Allimatti.2541

Please, Lion’s Arch deserved a better villain.

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Did not say you needed to like her. Deserved is a very subjective concept.

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

If you look closely at the statue of Abbadon, there is a broken piece of the dreadlock or whatever you want to label it and the scene then immediately fades into the priory where you see what looks to be the same piece now chained to a ceiling. I’m not sure what the scale of the statue is but it seems rather coincidental. If it is why would they have it unless they knew what he was actually trying to do, which is help us against the dragons?

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

I was thinking the same thing as OP after watching that video. After putting his theory out there, I was blown away. That would be cool as kitten.

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: ghost.3208

ghost.3208

She annoyed plenty of people, to me she’s the perfect villain.

inb4 more rage comments from WP lovers.

Gliradda – The Lil Death – Too Drunk to Aim
Guerreros de la Ultima Alianza [GDUA]
#TeamKiel #TeamPrecipice

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I liked Scarlett. All a matter of personal preference.

^ I liked her too. kind of annoying but still somehow able to unite several factions long enough to wake up a dragon.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

She annoyed plenty of people, to me she’s the perfect villain.

inb4 more rage comments from WP lovers.

I liked Scarlet as well,in fact every player from my guild liked it.Some people think that Scarlet wasn’t good character – same as Treaherne just cause few annoying individuals come and wine on forums and youtube.This community thinks that voice of few people is voice of hall community.Thats why they think how Scarlet,Treaherne,Megaservers,LS and other things that are meter of preference is “what community thinks”.
Truth is that Arena Net knows how much people love Gw,they can see that in numbers of active players in this game.Even though many vocal haters on forum think how game is dropping,even through all server status is “HIGH” or “VARY HIGH”…they dont know a thing….only Anet knows it.

I like Scarlet
I like Treaherne
I like Megaservers
I like LS
What vocal minority thinks is not the fact,they should not speak for hall community.

(edited by saalle.4623)

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: Gimp.9460

Gimp.9460

ANet acknowledging GW1? LOL YEA RIGHT

Particle effect slider would be ‘too confusing’

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I liked Scarlet, too. It’s a bit of a simpler explanation for things and still leaves room for exploration and mystery without completely butchering established lore.

To be fair, I wouldn’t like this idea so much. Primarily because it would invalidate everything in GW1. I don’t even like how they “tied in” Abaddon to Shiro, never mind how they’d tie in Abaddon to the elder dragons. Abaddon was pretty kitten evil. You can’t really convince me it was some “tragic hero” bullkitten given that he was trying to twist the world into a nightmarish hell-hole.

If he is going to be involved, I would hope it would be the former where he just wanted to see Tyria destroyed by any means necessary.

So I fail to see how this would be “WAY more interesting.”

(edited by Cuddy.6247)

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: nightwulf.1986

nightwulf.1986

I’m with you man. It’s sad to think that the Temple of Ages is nowhere to be found in the game. In fact, there’s no references to the underworld anywhere! That epic quest for the Black Moa chick in GW1, completely forgotten. The heroes I adventured with 250 years ago like Ogden Stonehealer and Jora aren’t mentioned anywhere in the game at all. No skill names were brought back, nothing. I just wish they would acknowledge GW1 just once! It would make me so happy.

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

I’m with you man. It’s sad to think that the Temple of Ages is nowhere to be found in the game. In fact, there’s no references to the underworld anywhere!

Isn’t Shadow Behemoth is a creature that has gotten out of the Underworld since Godslost Swamp was the location of Temple of Ages?

(P.S. that’s sarcasm – yes the sunken Temple of Ages resides in Godslost Swamp and Shadow Behemoth escapes there due to the thin walls of reality as the residual effects of so many farmers 250 years ago)

The rest is easily sarcasm. Although why would you mention the Black Moa Chick? There’s nothing in GW2 that resembles how much you had to go through to get Black Moa Chick.

(edited by Cuddy.6247)

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

I’m with you man. It’s sad to think that the Temple of Ages is nowhere to be found in the game. In fact, there’s no references to the underworld anywhere! That epic quest for the Black Moa chick in GW1, completely forgotten. The heroes I adventured with 250 years ago like Ogden Stonehealer and Jora aren’t mentioned anywhere in the game at all. No skill names were brought back, nothing. I just wish they would acknowledge GW1 just once! It would make me so happy.

I give you internet cookies now.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

To be fair what you are talking about wouldn’t really be “pulling off amazing use of GW1 lore” but rather more or less completely changing GW1 lore, which people have been whining about them doing since before release of GW2.

Actually, it wouldn’t change a thing about GW1 lore. It would only explore an unexplored facet of Guild Wars 1 lore that does not in any way necessarily contradict any previously established knowledge.

Fact is, we don’t know Abaddon’s motivations. Hell, our Guild Wars 1 characters didn’t know the motivations of their human gods or even if they could be trusted – they simply did as they were told. Keep in mind that many of the major conflicts of Guild Wars 1 (including some that lead into Guild Wars 2) were mistakes made by the player characters that had disastrous consequences – all because they did not have the necessary information or had been misled. The rise of the Dredge from slavery – only for that same race to wage war on and enslave other races? That’s the fault of Guild Wars 1 characters. Palawa Joko’s return? Guild Wars 1 characters did it. The captives getting executed by the White Mantle instead of staying safely with the Shining Blade? We did that. The Lich getting the Scepter of Orr? That was us. The Lich getting past the Mursaat and unleashing an army of Titans on the world? Us again.

Misinformation, player-caused consequences, and non-obvious motivations are frequent aspects of the Guild Wars storyline.

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: Zoso.8279

Zoso.8279

Ok so what everyone is talking about in this post I don’t really have an opinion but the video was fun to watch! Lore of GW is so awesome!

Necromancer Main

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: Arachnaas.2093

Arachnaas.2093

I kind of want Abaddon back at this point. They never did reveal what it was that the minions of Zhaitan were looking for in the temple. I have a feeling that Abaddon would have a lot more insight as to the cycles of the elder dragons, and the working of the bloodstones in putting them back to sleep. I have a feeling that being chained in the realm of torment for all that time was not real great for his sanity, so I’m not going to comment on how much of a jerk he was prior. If we could get him close to when he was a god of the seas, he could be just as pleasant as any of the other gods.

On the plus side we could also get playable margonites, and dervishes.

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Profoundly unlikely, but this would make me very happy.

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I still say Anet should bring back Abaddon permanently to destroy a whole bunch of places, wreak havoc, and also bring back Kormir so that we can kill her and take her godhood back (that she stole from us).

I mean… goddess of truth? That’s a joke! She forgot to mention in the end of Nightfall ‘hey thanks hero, for doing ALL the work for me, now I’ll just go and become a god. Thanks! Btw you can do what you want now – while I get ALL the glory and people make statues of me forever’.

More like goddess of ima-snatch-everything-from-you-and-take-all-the-glory!

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: Arachnaas.2093

Arachnaas.2093

Profoundly unlikely, but this would make me very happy.

I figure the chances are a snowball in the citadel of flame, but I too would be very happy. I miss my dervish.

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

To be fair, they have been trying to include a bit of GW1 recently with that Halloween outfit (albeit minus the wings), and the tormented and chaos weapon skins (albeit some of the skins looking better in gw1). I think they are trying to incorporate more of GW1 into GW2 and that’s good.

It would be awesome to see some sort of expansion with this Abaddon thing, and that would be a great opportunity to include more GW1 oriented things, like re-introducing the ritualist or perhaps dervish (as a light class), and adding places from GW1 (like the underworld) into GW2. I think it would be great for everyone. Anet gets money. We get an expansion. Win-win for everyone.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: Panamania.1450

Panamania.1450

PROVE ME WRONG, ARENANET, I GOOGOLPLEX DARE YOU!

Well, now they HAVE to prove you wrong. :I

All your RNG are belong to us!!

So about Abaddon...

Posted by: Templar.3418

Templar.3418

I agree with you OP but there is still hope!