So apparently, we like the new gear...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Indoles.1467

Indoles.1467

Whether the outspoken minority liked the gear or not isn’t relevant. I think the majority of people like the new gear (including myself). I’ve heard few complaints (and none from guild mates) about the new content. This game needed more difficult to obtain gear because it was essentially “over” once you hit level 80. There wasn’t even a gear treadmill to start with, and this type of game needs some sort of progression to keep players interested. Without progression, the game grows stale fast.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Maybe one day you’ll understand that even if you put all displeased forum posters together, you don’t even amount to 5% of the people playing the game.

You miss my point. How do they know that people are “excited” then? Could be as well that people are just bored to death by the new content. So what is the source for their opinion? The surevy? Well why didn’t the survey ask for peoples opinion on this then? Is the forum useless because the opinion spoken out here is such a tiny small minority that you can completely ignore it? Well if so, why do they ask for feedback here in the first place? And from which channel do they get the impression that everyone is excited about everything? (I do like the content update as well thats not the problem)

Note I’m not asking they base their decisions on an opinion spoken out on the forum but at least I would see a little sign that they take the opinions voiced here into their consideration.

sry for grammer :S

Posted by: RamzaBehoulve.5640

RamzaBehoulve.5640

Maybe one day you’ll understand that even if you put all displeased forum posters together, you don’t even amount to 5% of the people playing the game.

You miss my point. How do they know that people are “excited” then? Could be as well that people are just bored to death by the new content. So what is the source for their opinion? The surevy? Well why didn’t the survey ask for peoples opinion on this then? Is the forum useless because the opinion spoken out here is such a tiny small minority that you can completely ignore it? Well if so, why do they ask for feedback here in the first place? And form which channel do they get the impression that everyone is excited?

Note I’m not asking they base their decisions on an opinion spoken out on the forum but at least I would see a little sign that they take the opinions voiced here into their consideration.

sry for grammer :S

They have real time metrics and statistics. We do not.

Pirlipat.2479

They can messure the Use but they can’t messure an opinion without asking for it. Ok, but I’m not playing this majority/minority game.

Posted by: Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

Rehashed Jibe Tube.7102

I likeit.

I don’t have any of it, nor do I really have any plans to obtain it.

But I like that’s it’s there and I could chase it if i was into that sort of thing.

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I don’t know where the idea that forum goers aren’t a good sample of the player base came from but if this forum isn’t good enough for you how about the fact that every major GW2 community forum is against it? How come every time I brought it up in game people were against it? How come entire guilds of people have left because of it?

Infact I’d say the people who are happily playing the game instead of talking about it are only happy because they don’t really care about end game they just want to complete the story, smash a few zombie faces in and the move on to the next big game.

The actually number of people who do like it are clearly in the minority.

Posted by: Thorgal.1287

Thorgal.1287

@Kaleidocope: Nah, sry it was directed towards Thorgal. I said the same about this majority/minority thing before in this thread. Thats not even the problem that I am having. What I don’t like about this blog-statement is that it’s pretending like the whole issue isn’t there. Even half a sentence on that issue would have been enough for me but it’s nothing…

There are other channels (twitter, facebook, gamesites, personal blogs, support tickets), there are no miraculous channels… my point was most people don’t bother to be heard at all but that ANet should consider the ones that do valuable customers to communicate with (wich is not the same as doing whatever this very vocal majority/minority demands)

their press release does seem to ignore the problem but I can’t imagine them mentioning in every press release “we’ve got this great new thing – some people liked it.. some didnt…”

Posted by: helladoom.4317

helladoom.4317

Seriously, between those two statements, it helped me to remind why I dislike PR managers so much. But guess what? Ignoring it will not make it go away.

Ignoring it will make many of us go away, though. Mission accomplished.

Indeed. Especially since they already got out money.

Pirlipat.2479

@Kaleidocope: Nah, sry it was directed towards Thorgal. I said the same about this majority/minority thing before in this thread. Thats not even the problem that I am having. What I don’t like about this blog-statement is that it’s pretending like the whole issue isn’t there. Even half a sentence on that issue would have been enough for me but it’s nothing…

There are other channels (twitter, facebook, gamesites, personal blogs, support tickets), there are no miraculous channels… my point was most people don’t bother to be heard at all but that ANet should consider the ones that do valuable customers to communicate with (wich is not the same as doing whatever this very vocal majority/minority demands)

their press release does seem to ignore the problem but I can’t imagine them mentioning in every press release “we’ve got this great new thing – some people liked it.. some didnt…”

Erm, you make it look like all of this is a minor incident which is limited to the forum and to no other channel and it is not. It’s not a skillpoint missing or a skill beeing screwed it is something that at least looks like a major design shift.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

There are far more people in LA playing FotM than sitting here complaining about ascended gear, you don’t need statistics to prove that. 10000+ posts that contains multiple posters and people that are fine with the change isn’t any better at proving that the majority hate this change. I have a feeling ANet has far better tools at measuring this kind of thing than some forum posters.

yeah there are more people FORCED to grind fotm
Many have left the game

Few are doing other activities.
Most of them doesn t have requirements to fotm.

Check for yourself in any server….
I am amongst the mindless farmers, really angry but hoping this madness will stop.

That’s fine you can call it however you like, but i don’t feel forced to run the dungeon, i don’t feel pressure to find/craft ascended gear. Anything before level 10 of FotM doesn’t require (and even then the agony is doable without it) ascended stuff, no where else requires it either. On our server there are almost always multiple overflows when before there were not. Maybe i’m of the minority, maybe most of the people i’ve talked to about it are as well, but i really don’t mind the addition, it does nothing to ruin my experience. I love fractals and have no issue with the gear.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

“I see, because noone start a Anet flamewar on map, that’s the majority and everyone is happy except people on this forum..”

Actually, every time I mention it I get threated with 3 groups of people.

1: People who agree with me (nearly my entire guild, a random few people in the maps I go to)
2: People who have NO idea the forums exist or the gear exist (nearly everyone in all the maps I talked about it with )
3: Verbal abuse (5 or 6 adamant pro farm people in LA who call me a troll)

Either way, if the game dies, we were right. If the game lies, we were lied to.

Posted by: LVDealer.4691

LVDealer.4691

I wanted to post this video to give people an idea of why power creep (aka gear treadmills) can be devastating to video games.

Now, I’m not trying to trudge up the argument, because in all honesty I feel those that felt strongly enough about this turn of events have either accepted it or left already.

EDIT: Reason: Poorly stated comment
This video gives a very well balanced argument towards combating power creep, how power creep can happen in video games, and what power creep can do to a game’s longevity.

(This video in no way has an opinion towards Guild Wars 2 that I know of. This is just a phenomenal series on youtube that gives insight towards game development)

Clicky —> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxszx60ZwGw

Dear Undefined.1720

Every now and then someone posts a link to something that eats up my planned time use because its deserving of it. People in general don’t hold the minutes of their lives in nearly enough regard, yet time is the one thing that once spent, can never be reclaimed. So when I say this was time well spent watching that (and a few other videos in that series) it is high praise from me. Thank you for contributing that to this post as its something that I think every game developer should have at meetings with CEOs chomping on their cigars demanding more profit.

Posted by: IonicBlaze.7948

IonicBlaze.7948

Some Threadmill-lovers claimed that people are coming back to the game. Numbers show that this was wrong. Its getting worse because of this new ascended crap…

http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

The spirit of Guild Wars died on Nov. 13 2012. R.I.P.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Some Threadmill-lovers claimed that people are coming back to the game. Numbers show that this was wrong. Its getting worse because of this new ascended crap…

And why would xfire be a good indicator?
The majority of those using things like xfire are those that simply jump between every new game they can get their hands on. And then leave within the first few months. This is nothing specific to GW2.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Pretty unusual response to what we’ve seen here. I hope they have more on this subject shortly.

Posted by: Sender.7958

Sender.7958

Doesn’t affect how I play the game so I don’t care about it. One day I may when I complete all my other in-game goals but that’ll be Jan next year at the soonest.

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

Becasue a couple guys wrote “amazing i love it” that makes you think this is the majority of the community?

No, but the fact that NO ONE complained about it, I would say it is quite safe to assume most people don’t have anything against it, or at least can live with it.

Yes, the 2000+ post thread, and the threads that keep sprouting up, and the guilds that have emptied, and the world that has emptied, and the realms where everyone is in lion’s arch spamming for FotM but there is no overflow, and the MMO blogging community shouting “traitor” and “burn baby burn” really indicate the majority of players wanted this… as opposed to hundreds who took to the forums while the majority just logged out for good in disgust.

The game is in the process of being vacated and left to the “we want more wow” locusts for its final consumption. It’s still reversible right now, if ArenaNet acts quickly.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

And why would xfire be a good indicator?
The majority of those using things like xfire are those that simply jump between every new game they can get their hands on. And then leave within the first few months. This is nothing specific to GW2.

You’re pretty funny. None of given statistics tool is viable to you yet some people expressing their opinion in LA (probably doing fotm in few moments) are. Before introducing new shinies there was no thread with 10,000+ posts claiming that we need new gear. They were popping occasionaly I give you that, but their volume was nowhere near even 1000 posts. Assuming that forum represents 5% of userbase, how do you think every statistical survey, inquiry or poll works? For instance, researching people’s voting canditates for new election, you think they ask more than 1% of whole population? No, they ask about 1000 people.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

Because a couple guys wrote “amazing i love it” that makes you think this is the majority of the community?
Just to add, did you ask the same question to some lv1-5 guys no more able to spam LFG fractal lv 1,2,3,4,5?

THAT has nothing at all whatsoever to do with the gear. THAT is something entirely different. THAT is why people want an LFG that is worldwide. Nothing at all to do with gear.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

The solution for ascended versus exotic gear is pretty simple IMHO, I’ve seen this suggested on other forums and I think here as well, provide runes which upgrade existing exotic armor to the ascended level.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

my guild hasnt been this active in weeks.

Posted by: Chris.7653

Chris.7653

Scrolled down a few pages to the huge ‘Ascended Gear’ thread but couldn’t find it. So I’ll add my reply in this new thread.

Chris White

We’re very excited about the new content, and from the reactions we have seen, so are many of you.

Thanks for taking our feedback so seriously. No, I mean, really, thank you.

- If this thread becomes another one where people bicker back and forth about Ascended gear, I will close it down. Please continue discussion about Ascended gear in the existing threads on that topic and do not derail every thread that pops up.

If you stopped ignoring people’s concerns about Ascended gear and actually gave some straight answers, people would shut up about it.

Seriously, between those two statements, it helped me to remind why I dislike PR managers so much. But guess what? Ignoring it will not make it go away. Sure, people may quiet down, but on a whole, you’ve taken a hit. And that’s not because of the gear change itself.

Did you ever stop for 2 seconds to think a lot of people loved the new gear and it just so happened they weren’t part of the vocal minority that comes to the forums to complain?

There are probably hundreds of thousands of players who completed the survey and never come to the forums nor care to and are just fine with the game perfectly happy.

Posted by: Aufero.2893

Aufero.2893

They may confuse the popularity of FotM (which I love, and which has people hanging around LA in huge numbers to run it) with approval for the new ascended gear associated with the launch of FotM. (Which I think is an awful idea, and is extremely controversial both here on the forums and in-game.)

It’s too bad these were tied together.

Posted by: Veltoss.9135

Veltoss.9135

Why get so worked up about it? They gave their reason for the new tier of gear, move on. It’s one tier. They have already said they will be adding a lot more ascended gear and many more ways to get it. How do you guys benefit from getting so worked up about it and just generally freaking out 24/7 on the forums? I don’t get it.

Blackgate

Posted by: Aufero.2893

Aufero.2893

How do you guys benefit from getting so worked up about it and just generally freaking out 24/7 on the forums? I don’t get it.

You answered your own question in the previous sentence:

They have already said they will be adding a lot more ascended gear and many more ways to get it.

1) It’s quite a grind to get – much tougher than any tier of gear so far. (Legendaries weren’t a tier before this, since their stats were identical with exotics.)

2) They’re adding more of it, which implies that each new dungeon will gate content by requiring more of it.

It’s a fundamental change in the way dungeons work in GW2.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

They have real time metrics and statistics. We do not.

They do. But that doesn’t mean they understand what they mean. Numbers mean nothing without context.

They can measure that people don’t do a certain dungeon for example or skip a certain area etc. What the metrics don’t tell them is why.

And the thing is that if you want to fix an issue you need the cause and not the symptom. If you go by metrics alone you will forever be fixing symptoms and never causes.

So, trying to figure out why people like or not like something is at least equally important, if not more important than metrics.

Perhaps they saw that people stopped playing and were crying for stats on the forums and such. So they brought out gear with better stats, but now the opposite has been achieved. Why?

This action shows they don’t really understand what goes on within their own community. They knew that this would get a lot of resistance and did it anyway and dance around the issue. They refuse to directly address it.

So, we’ll see what the metrics will tell them in the weeks to come, but I think they’ve added something that they have very little experience with themselves. So it requires people from outside to make a gear treadmill work and with that the game and community are changing.

Even if GW2 ends up becoming successful in spite of this, Arenanet have lost their name of being a company that had certain principles and stuck to them, a company that wanted to add something different to the existing games out there. Even if you like this new direction, you can only admit that it’s not what Anet was about for many years.

I don’t like the new gear, others do. Anet then just focuses on the group that does and says " many of you like it ". What is many? Many doesn’t even mean majority. It just means a good number. Could be 20% of players, could be 80%. Many doesn’t tell us that.

They focus on the group they are trying to please and hope that the group of people they pissed off isn’t too big. I think this was a huge mistake as far as their company identity is concerned.

Even when NcSoft took over Arenanet completely, a lot of fans still felt that Arenanet could do their own thing and make something special. Now we know those days are over.

And then GW2 is really just another MMO and then I prefer other ones because if there’s anything GW2 hasn’t been good at it’s story telling and creating an environment where leveling alts is still exciting. It’s the first MMO I played for more than a month where I got bored with leveling alts this quickly. Just saying…

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Azelroth.6801

Azelroth.6801

I like the idea of Ascended gear. I think it gives a lot of players something else to do.

Prior to it’s release a lot of people were bored and didn’t have much else left to do in-game and most were complaining about it. At least the Ascended gear gives people something else to work towards.

If you don’t like it and you feel like you don’t need it – then don’t chase it or work for it. It’s not that bad guys. It’s not like they suddenly dumped a bunch of super crazy weapons/armor with uber stats and are forcing everyone to get it just to remain competitive..

It’s more of a subtle addition to the game for people with nothing else left to do (or for people who are working for legendaries and are getting bored).

I really don’t see why it’s such a big deal?

Azelroth [MoM] – Methods Of Mayhem
Commander @ Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Chris.7653

Chris.7653

I like the idea of Ascended gear. I think it gives a lot of players something else to do.

Prior to it’s release a lot of people were bored and didn’t have much else left to do in-game and most were complaining about it. At least the Ascended gear gives people something else to work towards.

If you don’t like it and you feel like you don’t need it – then don’t chase it or work for it. It’s not that bad guys. It’s not like they suddenly dumped a bunch of super crazy weapons/armor with uber stats and are forcing everyone to get it just to remain competitive..

It’s more of a subtle addition to the game for people with nothing else left to do (or for people who are working for legendaries and are getting bored).

This…

Before the patch the forum was filled with people complaining there was no end game, nothing to do, they had their full set etc…

Now they are complaining because they put new stuff into the game….I just don’t get it…

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

It’s a big deal because of 2 things:

1) Anet said that just like GW1 there would not be gear progression. Regardless of whether you like gear progression or not: they lied. Call me strange but I don’t like it when people flat out lie to me.

2) Anet already indicated that infusions will be required for future content. This means people will be required to get new gear or they simply won’t be able to play this future content. So, no, it’s not just for people who are bored. They are in fact planning to bring out more gear like this so you can be completely equipped in ascended gear, which has better stats and the necessary infusion slots to play on in this future content they speak of.

I hope that makes it clearer for you.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Reaver.9256

Reaver.9256

Loving the near gear and content Anet! Keep up the good work. The more new stuff the better I say! Got me hooked and working on my 3rd 80!

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I wanted to post this video to give people an idea of why power creep (aka gear treadmills) can be devastating to video games.

Now, I’m not trying to trudge up the argument, because in all honesty I feel those that felt strongly enough about this turn of events have either accepted it or left already.

EDIT: Reason: Poorly stated comment
This video gives a very well balanced argument towards combating power creep, how power creep can happen in video games, and what power creep can do to a game’s longevity.

(This video in no way has an opinion towards Guild Wars 2 that I know of. This is just a phenomenal series on youtube that gives insight towards game development)

Clicky —> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxszx60ZwGw

Thanks for the post and link. I, too, like this series. It would be great if more people took a deeper look into game design and the theory behind it. It would certainly improve the quality of posts. Too many people are addressing the issues raised by the patch tangentially. Notice that posts by supporters of a gear grind are talking about how insignificant the power creep is. (If it were not a significant change, why would they make it? I generally don’t focus on doing insignificant things.) The issue at hand is rather the change in direction and the introduction of power creep, not the degree of the power creep. It is the nature of power creep to creep. We already know this and don’t need to wonder where it’s going. I think that the company understood the issues well and evangelized strongly for a more modern take on game design. At this point, we can only guess what their motivation for regression is.

Azelroth.6801

It’s a big deal because of 2 things:

1) Anet said that just like GW1 there would not be gear progression. Regardless of whether you like gear progression or not: they lied. Call me strange but I don’t like it when people flat out lie to me.

2) Anet already indicated that infusions will be required for future content. This means people will be required to get new gear or they simply won’t be able to play this future content. So, no, it’s not just for people who are bored. They are in fact planning to bring out more gear like this so you can be completely equipped in ascended gear, which has better stats and the necessary infusion slots to play on in this future content they speak of.

I hope that makes it clearer for you.

Ok thanks for taking the time to provide your point of view.

In regards to point 1 – yes I do remember what they said… and yes I do remember the manifesto very clearly.

The thing is, everything must evolve with time. This is also true with games and their future direction. Anet isn’t just one person. Anet is a team and as with all teams they must make group decisions based upon where they want the future of their game to be headed. I’m sure even internally they would have discussed this subject to no end because let’s face it – we all have different ideas (this is also the reason why you can’t please 100% of people)

From a business standpoint they also need to keep their shareholders happy and maintain business profitability whilst also taking into consideration their player base as well. These are not easy decisions to make when you take all that into consideration. In the end they needed to find a happy balance and I guess this is where we are now today.

In regards to point 2. That infusions will be required for future content.
Infusions are already required for current content due to FoTM so I don’t see how that differs. Infusions are already necessary in FoTM at certain levels and what they mean is that other mechanics will be included (most likely in dungeons) and infusions will help with mitigating the damage that those new mechanics will bring (just like how infusions helps mitigate agony). It will most likely stay dungeon specific anyway which is really not that bad.

They have also stated that ascended gear can be attained through WvW and crafting in the future so even if you don’t wish to run dungeons to attain the ascended gear – you’re simply not forced to.

In summary, it really isn’t that bad man

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Before the patch the forum was filled with people complaining there was no end game, nothing to do, they had their full set etc…

Now they are complaining because they put new stuff into the game….I just don’t get it…

Have you considered even for a moment a possibility, that those weren’t the me people?
Lot more people protested agains ascended eq than demanded new content. What is more, of the people that demanded new content, those that wanted a new tier of gear were a tiny minority.

And that tiny minority is now among the people saying that the game is great, always has been, that there was no change worth arguing about, and if people don’t like it they can leave.
That is truly ironic.

And as for

The thing is, everything must evolve with time.

… i wonder, what would happen if tomorrow Anet announced that there is going to be a new, wonderful shift in game philosophy – open and unrestricted PvP with gear stealing. Wonder if you’d still be saying the same thing.

(This is not an abstract example – this has actually happened to one game i was once playing in)

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Gato.1628

Gato.1628

Hey.

I admit , i didint read all 83 reply to this topic , but dont you (negative) Guys thinking its enought ?.

….was about to type some long morale Bs ….. but what’s the point ?

IMO ( and i been here since the doors opened) enough is enough. If you like the gameplay ( YES gameplay not some stat ,gear tier BS) then enjoy it .
If there are some hardbone that stuck in your throat , then for the love of c***** STOP what are you doing.
There are so many interesting things in this world to look out for. This game is not worth it.
Maybe i just dont get you guys.

This is my first and last post here. But i think there is many ppl just like me that are sick of all that Ascendent (?) gear wine ,
and feel that this forum is down right gutter atm.
All i wanted to say basicly is: do what you like and leave like a man if something is not tick with your innerself.
Im not a fan of new tier ( exotic with infusion option would be 1000% better). But guess what ?
Oh well . Lifes go on. :O ( wierd i know , right ? )

Like my mentor liked to say : " Always look on the bright side of life" … and dont whine and reapete the same topic over and over and over again !! BE A MAN kitten

Sorry for my condescending AND bad english. Wish noone was offended and wish ALL good and safe weekend.

Cheers

PS. Strange. After “post reply” forum format eating last letters of my post. Oh well its not like its some uber wisdom. I know its not possible , but i wish this forum community could go back to way it was. ( and it cant , by the state of things).

Azelroth.6801

… i wonder, what would happen if tomorrow Anet announced that there is going to be a new, wonderful shift in game philosophy – open and unrestricted PvP with gear stealing. Wonder if you’d still be saying the same thing.

(This is not an abstract example – this has actually happened to one game i was once playing in)

There is no point in thinking about what-ifs because it’s simply not worth your energy. People stress themselves out to no-end thinking about what-if scenarios. Just take life as it comes dude

Posted by: Killul.9685

Killul.9685

People keep complaing about ascended gear because Anet has not realised the issue. The only response they give is us is complete bullkitten and I can’t believe even Anet believes it. If Anet contuines then this game will be another wow clone and fail because there is a dozen more wow clones out there.

Posted by: E Tan.7385

E Tan.7385

The day where Anet will do a IN GAME questionary to ask player if they like or not the ascended gear.

I will, depending in the result, accept the fact that a majority like mandatory gear grinding.

Also, to be fair, Anet in they questionary should say :

-Ascended back pack item, requier to spend at least 20gold of material, and way more to get it with infusion updagrade.

- Ascended ring, requier you to farm a lot, a lot, and a lot the fractal dungeon lvl 10-12 to get the stat ring you want and spend money to craft the infusion update.

Because without that, you wont be able to play fractal lvl 13-14++++ because the agony condition will make you die like a rabbit hitten by a lvl 80.

Also, in the futur there will be ascended armor, ascended jewell, ascended weapons, who will requier a long farm to get them, and thoses stuff, with highest stat than exotic, will be totaly mandatory to enjoy the futur content we planning to introduce.

Excited ?

BUT, based of the forum reaction at least 80% of the personn here DONT like mandatory ascended gear farming
So the

Chris White
Chris White

We’re very excited about the new content, and from the reactions we have seen, so are many of you.

Just mean they choosed to ignore ALL ascended gear complain to only consider people saying that the fractal dungeon for itself is nice.

But that still DONT MEAN AT ALL, that people like ascended gear at the majority sorry to break your dream.

“we leave the grind to other MMOs.”
Mike Obrien
Legen – Wait for It – dary joke

(edited by E Tan.7385)

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

There is no point in thinking about what-ifs because it’s simply not worth your energy. People stress themselves out to no-end thinking about what-if scenarios. Just take life as it comes dude

I see you are not going to answer that one?

For me, what has happened now in GW2 was on about the same level of change as the example i have provided. It is not a “what if”. It is a significant change to the core element of the game. Telling me that “everything changes, get used to it” does not make the change any less distasteful.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Azelroth.6801

I see you are not going to answer that one?

For me, what has happened now in GW2 was on about the same level of change as the example i have provided. It is not a “what if”. It is a significant change to the core element of the game. Telling me that “everything changes, get used to it” does not make the change any less distasteful.

All I’m trying to say is that games evolve and there is no static nature to them. Especially a game like GW2.

The example you provided isn’t very relevant because it’s not what has happened here – it’s in line with your opinion of what has happened but the two are not the same. Apples and oranges. I’m not saying your opinion is invalid or anything – it’s very valid because we all have a right to our own opinions.

I’m also not saying to ‘get used to it’ I’m merely stating that things do change and evolve with time (even the original ideas – from the manifesto etc.)

Many people resist any forms of change as the mind is more comfortable with what is familiar. Some embrace it and learn to adapt. In months from now, this really isn’t going to be the issue that lots of people make it out to be. Just enjoy the parts of the game that you like is my only suggestion.

(edited by Azelroth.6801)

Posted by: Equanim.5471

Equanim.5471

Real data is gained by monitoring actual player habits, not by listening to a series of whiny self entitled idiots posting under the wrong forum.

Posted by: Car.3805

Car.3805

Real data is gained by putting a pop up survey when you load into LA asking neutrally if the player is for or against another level of gear; a question that is independent of whether or not they like the fractal dungeons.

They did it for betas, they have the capabilities to do it for ascended gear. Somehow I doubt we’ll see this though.

Edit: Oh, I see E Tan already posted this!

(edited by Car.3805)

Posted by: gamefreak.5673

gamefreak.5673

I dislike the new gear, but that is just me.

Veltoss.9135

2) They’re adding more of it, which implies that each new dungeon will gate content by requiring more of it.

That’s a big assumption. And a lot of this panic people are having seems to be based on making huge assumptions.

Blackgate

Posted by: catqeer.1954

catqeer.1954

the second quote was meant to stop people from derailing every topic about the ascended gear… after all there already is a thread dedicated about it they just don’t like it when people cause entire threads to go off topic especially if there is a thread for the off topic subject

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

I like the new gear it gives me something to work for and with out the need to put in crazy time like you would with legend weapons. That the thing this set and legend are the only 2 sets and then its all skins and i do not think we will see a any legend other then the weapon for at least a full year. Think of the new gear as a cheeps man top end gear.
As for ppl asking about gear may be your world is not a nice one i never ran into it and ppl like that should not be played with at all. If any one asked me i would not join them even if i have or have not what they want me to have. You got to make a group work to show these ppl that its wrong to ask what gear you have heck as far as i know you can link items and gear from out side of the game with codes so you can trick ppl and if you truly wish to get at these ppl have a wight set saying that all you got hehe.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: DONO.8760

DONO.8760

In regards to point 1 – yes I do remember what they said… and yes I do remember the manifesto very clearly.

Whoa whoa whoa…stop right there. We are 3 months into the game, and you’re saying “things must evolve with time”?? Ridiculous. I would bet my bottom dollar that this whole fiasco was planned even before release, which means they pulled a bait and switch on us. This game was advertised for 5 years…5 YEARS…as not having any sort of vertical progression. And now its just as simple as “its evolving”? No. That pig doesn’t fly.

Veltoss.9135

Whoa whoa whoa…stop right there. We are 3 months into the game, and you’re saying “things must evolve with time”?? Ridiculous. I would bet my bottom dollar that this whole fiasco was planned even before release, which means they pulled a bait and switch on us. This game was advertised for 5 years…5 YEARS…as not having any sort of vertical progression. And now its just as simple as “its evolving”? No. That pig doesn’t fly.

All of you people freaking out are just making >huge< assumptions based off of nothing. You’re all reaching as hard as you can just for a reason to freak out. Calm the heck down already. This isn’t a conspiracy theory.

Blackgate

Posted by: Equanim.5471

Equanim.5471

Dude it totally is! ANet is secretly owned by Nintendo who’s trying to bring down the MMO genre so we buy the Wii U!

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

That’s a big assumption. And a lot of this panic people are having seems to be based on making huge assumptions.

It really has nothing to do with assumptions. Google “power creep” +"game design", and be sure to watch the video that will pop up in the search. A lot of people have had a lot of experience in gaming and have done a lot of thinking about elements of game design. The “panic” you see from most is based upon experience and a critical thought process and lot’s of info from game design theory. Once you’ve acquired experience in a given area you tend to devalue making assumptions as there is no need to and it’s bad practice anyway.

Posted by: DONO.8760

DONO.8760

All of you people freaking out are just making >huge< assumptions based off of nothing. You’re all reaching as hard as you can just for a reason to freak out. Calm the heck down already. This isn’t a conspiracy theory.

There is no conspiracy, just simple math and common sense. The “iterative” process for this size implementation takes much longer than 3 months, I can guarantee that. From initial proposal to implementation you have all manner of processes that need to be completed…lore, modeling, programming, stat mechanics, concept art, testing, etc. This has been in the works since well before launch, and now they can deal with the backlash.