So apparently, we like the new gear...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

Maybe one day you’ll understand that even if you put all displeased forum posters together, you don’t even amount to 5% of the people playing the game.

You miss my point. How do they know that people are “excited” then? Could be as well that people are just bored to death by the new content. So what is the source for their opinion? The surevy? Well why didn’t the survey ask for peoples opinion on this then? Is the forum useless because the opinion spoken out here is such a tiny small minority that you can completely ignore it? Well if so, why do they ask for feedback here in the first place? And form which channel do they get the impression that everyone is excited?

Note I’m not asking they base their decisions on an opinion spoken out on the forum but at least I would see a little sign that they take the opinions voiced here into their consideration.

sry for grammer :S

They have real time metrics and statistics. We do not.

Real Time Metrics DO NOT Reflect mood whether its liked or disliked they simply display logins and purchases and always remember the first law of statistics, correlation does no imply causation.

Posted by: Veltoss.9135

Veltoss.9135

Ok thanks for taking the time to provide your point of view.

In regards to point 1 – yes I do remember what they said… and yes I do remember the manifesto very clearly.

The thing is, everything must evolve with time.

Whoa whoa whoa…stop right there. We are 3 months into the game, and you’re saying “things must evolve with time”?? Ridiculous. I would bet my bottom dollar that this whole fiasco was planned even before release, which means they pulled a bait and switch on us. This game was advertised for 5 years…5 YEARS…as not having any sort of vertical progression. And now its just as simple as “its evolving”? No. That pig doesn’t fly.

All of you people freaking out are just making >huge< assumptions based off of nothing. You’re all reaching as hard as you can just for a reason to freak out. Calm the heck down already. This isn’t a conspiracy theory.

There is no conspiracy, just simple math and common sense. The “iterative” process for this size implementation takes much longer than 3 months, I can guarantee that. From initial proposal to implementation you have all manner of processes that need to be completed…lore, modeling, programming, stat mechanics, concept art, testing, etc. This has been in the works since well before launch, and now they can deal with the backlash.

They added a few Ascended items and said they’ll add more in the future. You and everyone else seem to be blowing this far out of proportion, assuming there will be a treadmill, that the game is entirely changing, etc.

Blackgate

Posted by: gamefreak.5673

gamefreak.5673

In regards to point 1 – yes I do remember what they said… and yes I do remember the manifesto very clearly.

Whoa whoa whoa…stop right there. We are 3 months into the game, and you’re saying “things must evolve with time”?? Ridiculous. I would bet my bottom dollar that this whole fiasco was planned even before release, which means they pulled a bait and switch on us. This game was advertised for 5 years…5 YEARS…as not having any sort of vertical progression. And now its just as simple as “its evolving”? No. That pig doesn’t fly.

All of you people freaking out are just making >huge< assumptions based off of nothing. You’re all reaching as hard as you can just for a reason to freak out. Calm the heck down already. This isn’t a conspiracy theory.

There is no conspiracy, just simple math and common sense. The “iterative” process for this size implementation takes much longer than 3 months, I can guarantee that. From initial proposal to implementation you have all manner of processes that need to be completed…lore, modeling, programming, stat mechanics, concept art, testing, etc. This has been in the works since well before launch, and now they can deal with the backlash.

They added a few Ascended items and said they’ll add more in the future. You and everyone else seem to be blowing this far out of proportion, assuming there will be a treadmill, that the game is entirely changing, etc.

We are not blowing it out of proportion, that is what new stats on gear is for. A never ending quest for a new set of pants with slightly better stats so I can fight tougher mobs for another set of pants so i can keep repeating the cycle.

It was promised to us for 5 years to not have vertical progression.

Posted by: DONO.8760

DONO.8760

They wouldn’t waste the time and resources developing a vertical progression system if they meant to abandon it after its initial implementation…especially this early in game. This is meant to be the easy let down, and done very early so people know what to expect henceforth.

Posted by: VeralFixen.3142

VeralFixen.3142

I wanted to post this video to give people an idea of why power creep (aka gear treadmills) can be devastating to video games.

Now, I’m not trying to trudge up the argument, because in all honesty I feel those that felt strongly enough about this turn of events have either accepted it or left already.

EDIT: Reason: Poorly stated comment
This video gives a very well balanced argument towards combating power creep, how power creep can happen in video games, and what power creep can do to a game’s longevity.

(This video in no way has an opinion towards Guild Wars 2 that I know of. This is just a phenomenal series on youtube that gives insight towards game development)

Clicky —> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxszx60ZwGw

a very good video indeed
all other videos from the guy are also equally very good

the one regarding the protagonist was also quite spot on as there are lots of people hating traherne

anet should hire this guy or learn from him

PS:
will i get infraction for this post?

(edited by VeralFixen.3142)

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

Somebody finally gets it. This “content update” just didn’t happen, there was no unforeseen gap between exotic and legendary oh on the contrary this “content update” was started on long before release and it has a roadmap to where its going, ascended is the tip of the iceberg.

Posted by: Mekboss.5069

Mekboss.5069

The whole vocal minority argument has been used too many times, it really just serves to stifle meaningful discussion by making one side look selfish and bitter.

I didn’t like the idea of this new type of gear but I didn’t post on the forums at all because it would have just been a waste of my time, I’ve posted on other issues from as far back as the first beta and I can’t say that I feel satisfied at the way things have been handled so I simply stopped posting and played less often.

Posted by: Gauradan.8361

Gauradan.8361

The whole vocal minority argument has been used too many times, it really just serves to stifle meaningful discussion by making one side look selfish and bitter.

I didn’t like the idea of this new type of gear but I didn’t post on the forums at all because it would have just been a waste of my time, I’ve posted on other issues from as far back as the first beta and I can’t say that I feel satisfied at the way things have been handled so I simply stopped posting and played less often.

This. That argument is simply laughable. The 18 people in my small guild (myself included) have quit the game. 17 of them said not a word of it.

Aed f’haeil moen Hirjeth taenverde.

Posted by: Veltoss.9135

Veltoss.9135

Still sounds just like someone talking about a government conspiracy theory, a lot of guesses and assumptions, very few actual facts.

Blackgate

Posted by: matenzo.9518

matenzo.9518

Do you think that people that like this new mechanics are majority of all players?

I think the people that like it or don’t care about it are the majority of all players yes.

Had a small chat about it in Lions Arch yesterday. First overflow then when server became available continued there.

No one did seem to have a problem with it.

And now you will probably shout about how those that don’t like it don’t play the game anymore, and that is fine.
But keep in mind that I was on overflow, which meant that my server had to be FULL in Lions Arch when I got there, and that does show there are rather many people still playing.

Well, seeing how Lions Arch is currently serving as a hub for people who want to play fractals I’m sure the local crowd actually liked the new content. If you are amongst the ones who resent this sorta thing but still wonna play the game you either hide map chat (aka FotM lfg channel) or avoid LA altogether.

It also makes sense that there would be an overflow in LA now that it hosts a dungeon but that does not necessarily mean that the number of active players overall has increased.

Also you are right the majority of casual players are not bothered to use the forums or fill out surveys but express their feelings towards the game indirectly (but clearly) by playing the game as frequently and enthusiastically as ever or moving on to other games. I am sure that if nothing, the majority of the people in these threads are invested enough in the game to feel strongly about the changes whether they defend or resent them.

As a sidenote people who are against all this are not saying that they were satisfied with the endgame in GW2 pre-patch or that they wanted the game to stay static. They just strongly disagree with the “I had nothing to do once my toon hit 80 and got 100% world completion” so farming for slightly better gear will fix that because it gives me something better to do. After all once you get ascended are you gonna get bored again if they don’t release yet a new tier of gear?

Personally I was bored of the game before the patch and I didn’t have full exotics. The reason I was bored is that my ranger has played the same since week 3 (condition and critical) and no other builds seem all that viable by comparison. I generally focus on one character so my bad I guess. Sadly I also find the new lost shore area pretty boring since the events don’t seem to be so frequent and I can only kill so many young Karkas before wanting to blow my own brains out. Fractals was ok for the first couple of times I did each mini instance but I can’t be bothered doing them more than 3-4 times. Plus there’s an identical dungeon in Vindictus so it doesn’t have the new-car-smell for me that it has for other people.

I will not resort to the “the vocal minority doomsayers often turn out to be right-look at what happened to SWTOR etc” argument since I am sure in other games the doomsayers have been wrong and I hope so am I.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Well, it could very well be true.
Keep in mind that it is usually the same people spamming all the threads about how much Ascended gear sucks.

Those that are happy does not hang around on the forums most of the time and even if they do they might not spam all those threads.

I have seen almost as many: “I like this” or “I am okay with this” people as I have seen “This is worthless, ArenaNet lies!!” people. Which most likely would mean that the majority is actually happy or at least okay with it.

^This

Everyone that complained about the content did it so much that they became the “voice” of the community while the people that enjoy it are playing and not hanging around on the forums!

Playing what? The same dungeon all day long.

Posted by: SiNoS.2147

SiNoS.2147

Since i havent seen anything related to this ill go ahead and point this out.

Most people dont have an issue with the dungeon its self. Its a fun dungeon. As such those still playing would run it. The issue is in the ascended gear its self. I very rarely see anyone ask do you like the fact they added another tier of gear. Mostly i see them ask if they like the dungeon then they use that as proof that everyone LOVES the new gear. Which is totally untrue. I’ve seen more people leave because of this patch than any thing else. Most of the people i played with are gone. As for LA sure i get kicked to overflow but the thing is before this i almost never got the transfer option. Now I get it shortly after getting into LA so there are not as many people playing as there use to be. No where near as many people.