So easy it hurts

So easy it hurts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sylanor.4205

Sylanor.4205

Hello,

I have a few issues with this game, and some questions. I am by no means a pro but even with my average skills i have noticed some professions are simply to easy when you are levelling. I might have gotten this mindset from having a Elementalist as main character.

I feel Warrior is so easy that it becomes very annoying to play. The same goes for Guardian or Ranger. While my Elementalist sees every almost every fight as very hazardous, it seems these 3 other classes are childs play when you compare them to a Elementalist.

The thing is i love the idea of a Warrior, Guardian or a Ranger. I really want to play the game with them. Then i log onto my guardian, click auto attack and see how i almost out DPS my Elementalist. To top it off it seems like i cannot die either.

So to make a long story short, unless there is real challenge in levelling it feels utterly horrible to me and the constant repetitive non challenging routine makes me feel like a robot. I know this game is not supposed to be challenging while you level, but sometimes it’s so easy that i don’t even want to play anymore.

I have heard that levels 70+ get a lot harder, but for me the appeal of this game is the entire world, not one zone at the highest level. My Elementalist just reached 71 so perhaps i’ll see for myself how much harder it gets.

I haven’t gone too far on a Thief yet but i am already facing a game breaking bug. Sometimes when i need to run and use “Hide in shadows” it still leaves me in combat, basically forcing me to leave the area to heal or wait a long time. Is this normal?

Thanks

P.S. Don’t get me wrong, i have died enough on the “easy” classes but usually that was due to really not paying attention anymore

So easy it hurts

Posted by: wauwi.9162

wauwi.9162

GW2 is designed to be very easy to pick-up, but hard to master.

and yeah, around level 68, it will get alot harder.
it’s just natural that a level 15 mob won’t constantly stun you. the game gets harder soon enough.

but if you seek a challenge right now, roll mesmer(tho, once you’ve skilled with him, you simply can’t die anymore), solo world bosses, go into dungeons, etc.

GW2 is not just exploring low-lv areas. and exploring low-lv areas as a high-lv char is just about exploration itself anyways.

[EU/GER]Elona’s Reach: Aerrith: Lv80 Ranger / Sephirra: Lv80 Mesmer
“Only the finest of potatoes in my zerkburgers.”

So easy it hurts

Posted by: NibriAyid.3680

NibriAyid.3680

I haven’t gone too far on a Thief yet but i am already facing a game breaking bug. Sometimes when i need to run and use “Hide in shadows” it still leaves me in combat, basically forcing me to leave the area to heal or wait a long time. Is this normal?

I notice the same thing if I escape mobs with a Mesmer. I wouldn’t call it game-breaking though, because I can generally keep going at half health with slow heals from regeneration or mantra spam.

I’ve played Ranger to lvl 80, Mesmer to 80, and Guardian to 70. When doing solo PvE, you’re right about Guardian and depending on build, about Ranger as well.

My advice? Try something other than solo PvE, or make the PvE more challenging. Aggro more mobs so you can get more loot / EXP. That should make it challenging enough on any of your characters. At least for me, fighting three mobs with a Guardian or with a Mesmer actually takes the same amount of concentration. You can also try leveling WvW – in zergs you may actually start finding the Ele boring :P

So easy it hurts

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

If you played ele first (I did too) everything else will be snore inducingly boring. Except maybe kit engineer (my favourite alt)

Just the nature of the simplicity of the other classes I suppose.

Stealth mechanics were changed so that mobs would stay leashed to you so stealthing wouldn’t reset mobs.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

So easy it hurts

Posted by: Fiddlestyx.9714

Fiddlestyx.9714

You’re complaining about how easy something is in a game where you can stand still and auto-attack dragons to death.

So easy it hurts

Sylanor.4205

Just playing the game i learned i love levelling the most. Seeing new places, doing interesting quests and exploring. Perhaps monsters might get tough near level 80 but i think i won’t be spending much time there when i do reach that level. I don’t know though my highest level is 74 now.

Mesmer is a interesting idea, together with thief and warlock they seem to be classes that aren’t too easy. I don’t think i am asking for too much when i say i would like to see difficulty raised for some classes. Casual is one thing but auto attack any monsters.. Anyway i did not even know you could level in WvW.

Engineer sounded good until i came to a realization.. Do i really want to push 20 buttons and barely be as effective as another profession pushing 5? Same could be said for Elementalist but i really enjoy it so it’s easier to do.

Stealth mechanics were changed? Wow thanks, i spent days searching for the reason why this happened and it turns out its common knowledge haha.

Maybe your right Fiddlestyx.. perhaps i am to stuck in the mindset of older games, where challenge was everything. I think i looked the wrong way at Casual Wars 2, no just joking i still enjoy the game but i realize now it cannot be everything i want it to be. Thanks folks

So easy it hurts

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If you’re finding it too easy, find challenge in the open world while leveling by:

• Fighting mobs several levels higher than you
  • Pulling multiple mobs at the same time
  • Fighting multiple veterans or a champion
  • Tackling group events without backup
  • Level in Wv3
  • Level in Dungeons (if you can get a group to take you)

I’m sure others could list other options. There are areas in the game where you can find more challenging things to do, but you have to look for them. Having every mob or mob group perfectly balanced to give a challenge that’s enough for all play-styles and all classes is not going to happen. It’s a good thing that there is a variety in challenge.

So easy it hurts

Posted by: Pandemic.3516

Pandemic.3516

I played during beta and it was a lot harder then, people complained about the difficulty of the mobs and it got toned down a lot.

it was fun

So easy it hurts

Posted by: Kakeru.2873

Kakeru.2873

Its a casual MMO meant for pick up and play, they made the game accessible to anyone meaning anyone can do anything type of content meaning for people with any sort of mmo background the game feels mindnumbingly easy .

So easy it hurts

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Try doing a few dungeons in this game…easy goes right out the window..

I really don’t get this hard = fun mindset..challenging is not fun it’s frustrating.

(edited by Dante.1508)

So easy it hurts

Posted by: wintermute.4096

wintermute.4096

GW2 is designed to be very easy to pick-up, but hard to master.

Except that somewhere along the way, when they were just finished with the easy to pick-up part, they forgot the hard to master part. =)

No, jokes aside, the professions are horribly unbalanced in pve, especially while leveling. If you want a challenge, you should maybe just craft your way to 80 (it’s cheap!) and start doing some dungeons, or grind your way up to the higher tiers of fractals. Dealing with pugs is always challenging.
Or you just level with mobs that tremendously outlevel you, I did that on my thief with stuff 9 levels (or whatever is the highest level where they don’t just always pop “immune” messages over their heads). That will certainly keep you entertained, if you are so inclined. =)

So easy it hurts

Posted by: Seveleniumus.5973

Seveleniumus.5973

If you want a challenge just go to areas with higher level mobs, or solo group events. Dungeons become available from lv 35 (or you can just do fractals, at any level, if you got a group, who are willing to take you).
Overall pve world is built for exploration, you’re supposed to enjoy uncovering it bit-by-bit. If you’re seeing it all just as a grind for leveling up, then you’re doing something wrong.

So easy it hurts

Posted by: XxTAFxX.6741

XxTAFxX.6741

I played during beta and it was a lot harder then, people complained about the difficulty of the mobs and it got toned down a lot.

it was fun

I agree.
Every fight was good back then.
but ppl complained it was too hard,so anet toned it down.

So easy it hurts

Sylanor.4205

Yeah dungeons can be hard and i wonder what it’s like now that graveyard rushing has been removed. The replies are much appreciated i think i got some things to keep me busy now.

Dante – It’s simple really, do you want to mindlessly crush every monster or do you want to see them for what they really are? Monsters that are capable of inflicting damage, or death.

It’s a great feeling to know that in the upcoming battle, either side might claim victory.. There are some things to consider though, if you need to kill a average of 1000 monsters each day to progress i would understand you don’t want every single one of them to be the ultimate fighter.

So no i don’t have the slightest clue on how to make a challenging game, but i do know that some things are just too easy even for casuals. If my grandmother in a wheelchair could click 1 button (which she nearly can) then she could conquer 95% of Tyria haha

Seveleniumus – I don’t see the game as a grind, but for me everything becomes trivial when i know my guardian can auto attack every monster. It takes away that feeling of exploration or danger. With some of the “OP” classes i could step into the pits of hell and laugh at the enemies charging at me, but on my Elementalist i would get the feeling of danger and that makes places more alive so to speak

So easy it hurts

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

My main is a Mesmer and I love the playstyle but until I got better I had some really hairy moments.
I have a Mesmer and an Engineer at 80 and I love both of them to death.
I deleted my warrior and my guardian at around lvl16 because I just found them to boring to endure anymore.
If you like Elementalist, don’t knock Engineer- they have a very similar playstyle- I don’t really care that people say you have to work harder to get the results- you need to do that on a Mesmer too- but boy it is worth it.

I set myself challenges and I am always amazed if I am still standing at the end of such a fight- obviously the more skilled you become at your class the more extreme those challenges can get but it is all good fun.

Gunnar’s Hold

So easy it hurts

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Its a casual MMO meant for pick up and play, they made the game accessible to anyone meaning anyone can do anything type of content meaning for people with any sort of mmo background the game feels mindnumbingly easy .

I have an MMO background with several big titles, and honestly, they weren’t hard. They were frustrating.

GW2: easy to get into, hard to master
Other MMO: easy to master, grind to get tier 10000

WoW was never a difficult game. The only thing of value was your gear score and your ability to follow the rotation decided by someone’s excel sheet. I prefer GW2 where your RL brain actually has a purpose.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

So easy it hurts

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

In most games, the hardcore people who seek a challenge usually have to generate it themselves.

That’s why we see all sorts of speedruns, no-damage runs, level 1 runs, starter gear runs, and all kinds of other self-imposed challenges.

It’s impossible to design ALL content to cater for ALL skill levels ALL the time. So if you seek a challenge, then challenge yourself.
Run in only white gear.
Fight multiple enemies at once.
Use an experimental and non-optimal build.
Try to defeat the enemy without taking any hits.
etc etc.

Since the beginning of time hardcore players have been taking games and finding their own challenges. It’s not going to change (until we have advanced self-adjusting AI dungeon masters or something, I guess.)