So...full damage, kitten the rest?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Collesy im not gonna discuss any of what you said (not that i share your opinion in all points or even most), but if you are trying really to educate people, make so that your language, form of telling, things, etc is adecuate.

And to be exact, some of your posts are like reading a thug, and believe me, most sane people dont bother to think the thug is right.

are people honestly offended when I call cleric gear trash? that’s pretty sad if that’s the case.

Well you don’t stack in fights that have actual mechanics. Like for example most fights found in Arah P4. And by the way I’ve seen berserkers being two shot more times than I can count.

did Arah p4 with some guys from the forum a little while ago, we stacked for every fight. so please, give me these examples where you can’t stack, I’m pretty sure it’s just lacking DPS (i.e. using trash gear so you die in the stack rather than killing the mobs) which is responsible, not that you can’t stack for them.

Actually the dude switched when the party wiped. And wiped. And wiped. And wiped. And you know what? Having one dude with toughness that was able to get people up without dying saved the run.

playing better would have saved the run, not some bad in low DPS gear

No, you’re being an elitist yelling “play my way, because my way is the only way to play!” which is not true. Everyone has the right to play how they want and similarly you have a right to find people to play with that fit your standards.

just because I don’t waste my time trying to be nice to bads trying to ignore me doesn’t mean I’m not trying to educate. if you’d get over the “emotional” impact of my posts and actually look at the points i’m making, you’d see that I was right about almost everything I post here.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Really comes down to this: If you want to PUG, you want zerker gear else run the risk of dealing with elitist kittens. Now, I PUG a lot, and although I have DPS gear, I’m never running speed runs and none of the groups I happen to join are either. No one asks what gear each other has, we just play the dungeon. Never had a problem and I have to have done 100+ PUG dungeons by now.

Every now and again you get someone insisting we speed run, which is fine too if you’re into that sorta thing and have the gear for it. If you don’t have the gear, just excuse yourself or let them know it isn’t a speed run so they can move on and find a group more accommodating or vice versa.

Both types of players exist and you just need to communicate so everyone is on the same page. Trust me, the guys that want everyone in zerker gear would prefer to play with like-minded players just as much as the guys that think everyone should play in whatever gear they want do. If you specifically join a group advertising for speed runs, you better be wearing Zerker gear.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Yenn.9185

Yenn.9185

At this point, it’s better to segregate the community between casual and speed runners. The problem is (PuG) casuals also like to speedrun, evidence to that is they still join speedrun groups despite not having zerkers. And yes, zerkers wanna be partied with other zerkers because they want fast runs.

PS. Don’t get kitten when someone says cleric gears are trash in dungeons.

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

Collesy im not gonna discuss any of what you said (not that i share your opinion in all points or even most), but if you are trying really to educate people, make so that your language, form of telling, things, etc is adecuate.

And to be exact, some of your posts are like reading a thug, and believe me, most sane people dont bother to think the thug is right.

are people honestly offended when I call cleric gear trash? that’s pretty sad if that’s the case.

Isnt that case in particular, but still, is the form not if they get offended, like having a clown talking in a cientific meeting, the outfit will make whatever he said looks bad (my example is a total exageration just to explain the point).

Posted by: Stx.4857

Stx.4857

No. You need support skills to clear content(boons, AE heals). You also need utility skills(reflects, blind fields, group stealth, timewarp), and survival skills.

That doesn’t change the fact that gearing for dps is more efficient. That is a problem with stat scaling, not the game overall. If healing power didn’t scale like utter crap, then it would probably be used more.

2x 80 Necro, 80 Ranger, 80 Thief

Posted by: Rainshine.5493

Rainshine.5493

I prefer a more balanced stat spread on my ele, but I do keep some berserker gear for certain dungeons that employ DPS-racey mechanics. Particularly in scenarios where you need to protect an NPC, though, people seem to appreciate me being able to survive aggroing the mobs while still healing and protecting the NPC. -shrug- I don’t join “speedruns” because I don’t dungeon enough to feel comfortable with it.

As long as your group is flexible, there’s rarely a set way you have to build or go about things.

In WvW you couldn’t pay me to run full berserkers.

EDIT: Stx is right, though, healing stat scales poorly. While I do include a certain amount on my gear, really only WvW zerg healbot guardians seem to really benefit from stacking the living daylights out of it.

Ruse Torrent (elementalist) on JQ
trixnotes tumblr: quick hits of lore | personal tumblr (some other GW2 stuff)

(edited by Rainshine.5493)

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

At this point, it’s better to segregate the community between casual and speed runners. The problem is (PuG) casuals also like to speedrun, evidence to that is they still join speedrun groups despite not having zerkers. And yes, zerkers wanna be partied with other zerkers because they want fast runs.

PS. Don’t get kitten when someone says cleric gears are trash in dungeons.

Another big problem with segregation is that those who don’t fit in either camp get lumped into communities where they don’t fit, consistently polarizing the problem and making it worse. When segregating you end up shoving people into extremes while ignoring the middle ground, so you end up a bunch of people not capable of playing how they want because they neither want to be super-efficient discriminatory elitists, nor do they want to be ignore all self-improvement casuals.

When you get people who only run in the segregated groups, then it pulls those players from the game itself. Every player good at the game who decides only to run with only one group(even if they don’t want to) is taken from the possible pool of pugs. This means that, eventually, all you’ll get are new and inexperienced players, so partying with random people just gets worse and worse. The good players and the veterans aren’t there to teach them, or to even off the scales.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

It has been mentioned before, but if someone who doesn’t discriminate explains it, this might make more sense.

The thing with GW2 is that nearly all of the defense in this game is “active”. What this means is, defending yourself isn’t really about an armor rating, or a HP bar. It is about recognizing enemy tells, blocking and blinding those attacks, maintaining distance, strafing, and dodging. Other MMOs invoke passive defense, where everything is determined by your stats beforehand.

Because of this, the roles played by any character isn’t too limited on their stat distribution. A guardian can reflect and block just as well in full zerker as well as they can in full PVT gear. But rather, the “role” they play is based on the utilities and traits they have at their disposal. This is a bit jarring, since this is different from both other MMOs, and from sPVP/WvW mode in this same game.

As for the reasons why it is different, there are several reasons:

1)In PVP, your opponent will always have relatively high sustained damage, so things such as effective HP and the overall damage to durability ratio come into play. In PVE, enemies have strong but slow and telegraphed moves. This means that in PVP active defense only avoids some damage, whereas in PVE it neutralizes nearly all of it.

A)This is also why healing is more important in PVP. Whereas you can dodge nearly everything in PVE, if you can’t dodge then you’ll never heal the massive amount of damage done. But in PVP, since you can’t dodge everything and damage is sustained, the healing contributes meaningfully to your overall health.

B)This is also why durability is important. With active defense stopping so much less, you’ll rely on your stats a lot more. The sacrifice for greater damage is meaningful, since an opponent can do comparably greater damage to your HP bar than you do to him if built right.

2)PVP objectives aren’t about killing your opponent. In sPVP, it is about point control and secondary scoring mechanics. Sure, killing helps, but it isn’t necessary to progress. In WvW, it is about group movement, siege, and holding towers/keeps (which don’t go by normal combat rules), so again it isn’t necessary to kill your opponents as much as it is to drive them off. But in PVE, it is all about death, killing enemies, and more death. So, offense became the name of the game.

3)You fully heal after fights. In games where you don’t, defensive stats and healing are important for long term sustainability, but in this game you get a clean slate for merely ending the fight. With active defense being important and limited, the faster an enemy goes down, the less damage they do and the quicker you can heal up. Because of this, DPS gear is both offensive and defensive in one.

4)The game is designed with close ratios between offense and durability. In some games, one player can have 10 to 20 times the effective HP of another character, and some characters can have 5 or 10 times the damage. In this game, the scales kitten much smaller (for example, only looking at gear + 300 Power/Prec/Crit damage and ignoring sigils/runes/trait abilities, berserker only does 50% more damage than soldiers), and this allows for players to have diverse builds while still being relatively effective. This diversity doesn’t punish players for any glaring flaws in group composition, so players are free to go full DPS without fear of being completely one shot by everything.

When you add all of these things together, you get a perfect storm that focuses on damage above all else. Ultimately, I would like to see this storm remedied, and this is most easily done by making PVE more like PVP. Put in enemies that have high sustained damage and attack frequently with quick AoEs and cleaves, have objectives that are explicitly not about killing enemies, and you’ll see build diversity become much more useful.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: JMadFour.9730

JMadFour.9730

It has been mentioned before, but if someone who doesn’t discriminate explains it, this might make more sense.

The thing with GW2 is that nearly all of the defense in this game is “active”. What this means is, defending yourself isn’t really about an armor rating, or a HP bar. It is about recognizing enemy tells, blocking and blinding those attacks, maintaining distance, strafing, and dodging. Other MMOs invoke passive defense, where everything is determined by your stats beforehand.

Because of this, the roles played by any character isn’t too limited on their stat distribution. A guardian can reflect and block just as well in full zerker as well as they can in full PVT gear. But rather, the “role” they play is based on the utilities and traits they have at their disposal. This is a bit jarring, since this is different from both other MMOs, and from sPVP/WvW mode in this same game.

As for the reasons why it is different, there are several reasons:

1)In PVP, your opponent will always have relatively high sustained damage, so things such as effective HP and the overall damage to durability ratio come into play. In PVE, enemies have strong but slow and telegraphed moves. This means that in PVP active defense only avoids some damage, whereas in PVE it neutralizes nearly all of it.

A)This is also why healing is more important in PVP. Whereas you can dodge nearly everything in PVE, if you can’t dodge then you’ll never heal the massive amount of damage done. But in PVP, since you can’t dodge everything and damage is sustained, the healing contributes meaningfully to your overall health.

B)This is also why durability is important. With active defense stopping so much less, you’ll rely on your stats a lot more. The sacrifice for greater damage is meaningful, since an opponent can do comparably greater damage to your HP bar than you do to him if built right.

2)PVP objectives aren’t about killing your opponent. In sPVP, it is about point control and secondary scoring mechanics. Sure, killing helps, but it isn’t necessary to progress. In WvW, it is about group movement, siege, and holding towers/keeps (which don’t go by normal combat rules), so again it isn’t necessary to kill your opponents as much as it is to drive them off. But in PVE, it is all about death, killing enemies, and more death. So, offense became the name of the game.

3)You fully heal after fights. In games where you don’t, defensive stats and healing are important for long term sustainability, but in this game you get a clean slate for merely ending the fight. With active defense being important and limited, the faster an enemy goes down, the less damage they do and the quicker you can heal up. Because of this, DPS gear is both offensive and defensive in one.

4)The game is designed with close ratios between offense and durability. In some games, one player can have 10 to 20 times the effective HP of another character, and some characters can have 5 or 10 times the damage. In this game, the scales kitten much smaller (for example, only looking at gear + 300 Power/Prec/Crit damage and ignoring sigils/runes/trait abilities, berserker only does 50% more damage than soldiers), and this allows for players to have diverse builds while still being relatively effective. This diversity doesn’t punish players for any glaring flaws in group composition, so players are free to go full DPS without fear of being completely one shot by everything.

When you add all of these things together, you get a perfect storm that focuses on damage above all else. Ultimately, I would like to see this storm remedied, and this is most easily done by making PVE more like PVP. Put in enemies that have high sustained damage and attack frequently with quick AoEs and cleaves, have objectives that are explicitly not about killing enemies, and you’ll see build diversity become much more useful.

this is by far, the best and most informative post in this entire thread.

thank you, I understand now.

side note: coleys, you should try being informative, rather than arrogant and insulting. you’ll get less argument. you were probably trying to say things along the lines of what this post said, but all anyone sees is “you suck blahblahblah bad blahblahblah i’m looking down my nose at you” and no one gets the information.

“Quaggan is about to foo up your day.” – Romperoo

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Also, you can support just as well in zerker as you can in trash cleric gear, so there’s no point using it if you can just DPS and support at the same time.

No you can’t. Your heals are crap. Hmm, no heal on dodge or 2000 heal on dodge? 120/sec regen or 350/sec regen? Symbols healing for 350/sec or no healing symbols? 250/sec VoR to entire group or 80 VoR to just yourself?

You can claim that healing is inferior to DPS, but you can’t claim that you support just as well in zerker because your heals are trash.

Lol that’s funny, I play a zerker guard traited 0/0/30/30/10 and I constantly keep my team alive with those weak heals, my VoR regen goes to the entire group, I easily clear conditions which also keeps my groups alive while still doing a ton of dmg and unfortunately keeping the aggro. I’m sure people would rather have a zerker guard that can do the as,e thing as a cleric guard but with much better dmg.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

-snip-

I’m sure there are many gw1 vets (including me) that wanted pve resembling gw1 pve where most of the mobs and bosses were using players’ skills. Not only that, but some groups of mobs had certain synergy in their builds and it was almost like fighting in pvp. But there was one fundamental flaw – mobs are not players. Ultimately, player should always win because he can adapt or use “cheap” tactics.

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

Also, you can support just as well in zerker as you can in trash cleric gear, so there’s no point using it if you can just DPS and support at the same time.

No you can’t. Your heals are crap. Hmm, no heal on dodge or 2000 heal on dodge? 120/sec regen or 350/sec regen? Symbols healing for 350/sec or no healing symbols? 250/sec VoR to entire group or 80 VoR to just yourself?

You can claim that healing is inferior to DPS, but you can’t claim that you support just as well in zerker because your heals are trash.

Lol that’s funny, I play a zerker guard traited 0/0/30/30/10 and I constantly keep my team alive with those weak heals, my VoR regen goes to the entire group, I easily clear conditions which also keeps my groups alive while still doing a ton of dmg and unfortunately keeping the aggro. I’m sure people would rather have a zerker guard that can do the as,e thing as a cleric guard but with much better dmg.

I’m sure you’re doing a lot keeping your group alive with that sub-100 VoR and 100 dodge rolls. If that’s “keeping your team alive” then surely doubling or even doing 20x the healing of some skills must make them gods.

Posted by: Astewart.8415

Astewart.8415

-snip-

I’m sure there are many gw1 vets (including me) that wanted pve resembling gw1 pve where most of the mobs and bosses were using players’ skills. Not only that, but some groups of mobs had certain synergy in their builds and it was almost like fighting in pvp. But there was one fundamental flaw – mobs are not players. Ultimately, player should always win because he can adapt or use “cheap” tactics.

Actually I remember a lot of fights in GW1 coming down to you slotting the “right” powers for the situation like a puzzle. If you didn’t have the right combo, you would have serious problems with the content.

I like how PVE in GW2 is presented, but indeed even a few people in a dungeon group having very high DPS makes everything a lot easier. If they all have middling DPS, and maybe someone has crazy toughness or healing…that really doesn’t help. People still go down, and wipes still take place. If everyone is focussing down the objectives, though, that doesn’t happen.

So yes. For PVE content, full damage wins the day.

if Mobs were more intelligent, or indeed if they played more like PVP bots then we would have a serious problem. Namely because in my view the defensive skills are lack lustre and heals aren’t nearly what they need to be to be truly effective.

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

if Mobs were more intelligent, or indeed if they played more like PVP bots then we would have a serious problem. Namely because in my view the defensive skills are lack lustre and heals aren’t nearly what they need to be to be truly effective.

I think aggro is part of the problem, too. Currently, with mob aggro being closer to random than predictable, you just have to make sure you can dodge/mitigate the handful of attacks you receive before the mob goes after someone else.

If you could influence aggro to the point of one person receiving the majority of the attacks from a mob, then defensive stats/abilities would be much more important, instead of just saving your dodges for when it’s your turn to be attacked by the dumb AI.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Is that how Guild Wars 2 is meant to be played?

No matter what class you play, or what the classes are capable of, or what weapons they can use….

spec and gear for the absolute highest DPS you can get, to the exclusion of any and everything else. and just hit Q before a big attack.

that’s the correct way to play this game?

Yep…yes it is.

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

Or how about if you’re someone who enjoys playing well? Aren’t we allowed to have fun?

I really hate this forum sometimes.

No dude….you’re like…just an elitist and elitists are ruining the game.
I play how I want.
Hurp.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Is that how Guild Wars 2 is meant to be played?

No matter what class you play, or what the classes are capable of, or what weapons they can use….

spec and gear for the absolute highest DPS you can get, to the exclusion of any and everything else. and just hit Q before a big attack.

that’s the correct way to play this game?

Depends what you do
WvW- no
spvp- no
pve world- gear/spec don’t matter
any dungeon outside of FOTM 40+- gear/spec don’t matter
Tequatl & future revamp boss- No, cant crit them

JQ Druid

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

did Arah p4 with some guys from the forum a little while ago, we stacked for every fight. so please, give me these examples where you can’t stack, I’m pretty sure it’s just lacking DPS (i.e. using trash gear so you die in the stack rather than killing the mobs) which is responsible, not that you can’t stack for them.

Okay, how did you break the mechanic with dragging sparks? How did you break the mechanic with standing on black spots and a ghost teleporting to you?

playing better would have saved the run, not some bad in low DPS gear

Generally players that boast like you play like utter crap and then they blame other peoples gear sets. Like I said, you don’t like us, don’t ever play like us, feel free to fail in your parties as much as you wish.

just because I don’t waste my time trying to be nice to bads trying to ignore me doesn’t mean I’m not trying to educate. if you’d get over the “emotional” impact of my posts and actually look at the points i’m making, you’d see that I was right about almost everything I post here.

We really don’t need your kind of “education” because it literally is “play my way, you can’t have your own builds, you’re bad bad bad”. Stop being a child and shut up for a second. Like I said if you don’t like people in other gear sets go and play with your zerker friends. You don’t need to sit on a forum yelling at other people just because you dislike their style of playing.

Posted by: Anthony.7219

Anthony.7219

Not broken for me, I like my character to be the same in PVE and PVP, so, for example, my Thief is pistol-pistol. In PVE its not as fast at killing as dagger-dagger, but in PVP it means the difference between getting 1-hit killed by a warrior or being the best player on my team.

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

Or how about if you’re someone who enjoys playing well? Aren’t we allowed to have fun?

I play how I want.
Hurp.

How dare you! Now my back will be under pressure as I need to carry you! /sarcasm

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

Yenn.9185

Oh please, don’t make it like the “elitist” honestly wanna play with bads.

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

PvE is to easy for it to matter. You can really run just about anything and you’ll be credit to team, no real reason to min/max in any sort of way to succeed.

That being said so many “just roll DPS” spawns from a few mentalities

Speed runners People who want to farm a reward fast and be done with it for no reason other than loot, this is the only real case where you’d need to be full damage and it matter. That being said you can easily avoid these types of groups because they are usually specific and obvious when looking for people. – these people are looking for a reward not a fun dungeon run, if your looking for something else do not fight these people for a spot let them just do what they want.

Support is meh I have a friend who rolls full support guardian he’s tanky as all hell, lots of heals ect ect. But it falls flat, he’s not carrying the team like he hoped, sure his support is a nice saving grace every so often but realistically he’s not adding much to a boss fight. He does no damage, and it’s nice how he won’t die but the contribution is ultimately minimal, especially when a lot of his “support skills” are utilities any guardian can run since people rely on the base effect more so than the passive buffs from traits.

Pros and try hards all the good players run glass cannon and rarely die. Scrubs see this and try to imitate, then you end up with 4 downed warriors at the bosses feet in CoE and your left to solo it for the 3rd time that run -_-

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Lostwingman.5034

I play how I want.
Hurp.

How dare you! Now my back will be under pressure as I need to carry you! /sarcasm

You should have lifted bro.
I play for fun on the backs of teammates!
It’s fun!

Yenn.9185

Why does it always comes up saying that speed runners are not having fun? The fun comes from being efficient, not wiping, and finishing ASAP (and loot). This is a game, not a job, and I don’t get payed to play. So we all play to have fun.

Direksone.3867

Why does it always comes up saying that speed runners are not having fun? The fun comes from being efficient, not wiping, and finishing ASAP (and loot). This is a game, not a job, and I don’t get payed to play. So we all play to have fun.

Where do you get that from? That’s not what people are saying, THEY do not enjoy speedrunning, aka not running min/maxxed gear.

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

Yenn.9185

You bet my kitten that when I’m on my min/maxxed gear, and suddenly someone joined my party on clerics, I’m NOT gonna enjoy that puppy.

Direksone.3867

You bet my kitten that when I’m on my min/maxxed gear, and suddenly someone joined my party on clerics, I’m NOT gonna enjoy that puppy.

Then don’t do PUGs and take the risk.

Yenn.9185

Easy for you to say because the majority of PuG that runs in all dungeons uses “play how you want” builds. Easier for you to get a party, nothing to worry on your side. If all dungeon turns out to be similar to the glory days of CoF1 farming (zerkers only). Can you say the same?

Draknar.5748

Question: how do you know they are wearing clerics? You ask right? Or do you say nothing, then randomly in the dungeon you just kick them?

If you are min/maxxing, state it before you run the dungeon. That’s all we need to do and there will be no problem. That way the min/maxxers get to play together and are happy and everyone who wants to play in their whatever gear get to play together and are happy. No one should get offended if you join a group, they say they are speedrunning and ask your gear setup, and then kick you for not having the gear they want you to have. They are allowed to do that. Just move on to another group. The majority of players aren’t speedrunning. Let that niche group do their thing, you do yours.

One time I was honestly kicked out of a FoTM10 (yes, TEN) for not having an Ascended backpiece. Everything else was BiS, but I only had an exotic back, so I was kicked. At first I was shocked because I’ve completed FoTM10 on a full Rare alt so I wasn’t sure what the big deal was, but then I realized they are probably looking for a specific setup and if I don’t cut the mustard then I just don’t cut the mustard.

It took me 5min to get another group for FoTM10 without issue. Slightly overkill for FoTM10 IMO, but those 4 guys clearly want to play a certain way and who am I to say they can’t.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Easy for you to say because the majority of PuG that runs in all dungeons uses “play how you want” builds. Easier for you to get a party, nothing to worry on your side. If all dungeon turns out to be similar to the glory days of CoF1 farming (zerkers only). Can you say the same?

yes, because I avoid partying up with kittens that care about what I wear by doing guild runs. Much more reliable.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

clearly you are one of those people who keep dying during any engagement that is remotely challenging and I’m forced to rez your sorry corpse because you refuse to wp and you being there is making the boss harder for me to kill.
anyone who thinks dps is the win-all deserves the grief they get when that playstyle backfires on them.
as an example: I can survive not jumping over 3 consecutive water waves from teq. you can tell who is berserker because they die on the first one.

Draknar.5748

as an example: I can survive not jumping over 3 consecutive water waves from teq. you can tell who is berserker because they die on the first one.

You can also tell that they suck in general because they can’t dodge those waves, zerker gear or no zerker gear.

Yenn.9185

Question: how do you know they are wearing clerics? You ask right? Or do you say nothing, then randomly in the dungeon you just kick them?

If you are min/maxxing, state it before you run the dungeon. That’s all we need to do and there will be no problem. That way the min/maxxers get to play together and are happy and everyone who wants to play in their whatever gear get to play together and are happy. No one should get offended if you join a group, they say they are speedrunning and ask your gear setup, and then kick you for not having the gear they want you to have. They are allowed to do that. Just move on to another group. The majority of players aren’t speedrunning. Let that niche group do their thing, you do yours.

One time I was honestly kicked out of a FoTM10 (yes, TEN) for not having an Ascended backpiece. Everything else was BiS, but I only had an exotic back, so I was kicked. At first I was shocked because I’ve completed FoTM10 on a full Rare alt so I wasn’t sure what the big deal was, but then I realized they are probably looking for a specific setup and if I don’t cut the mustard then I just don’t cut the mustard.

It took me 5min to get another group for FoTM10 without issue. Slightly overkill for FoTM10 IMO, but those 4 guys clearly want to play a certain way and who am I to say they can’t.

When 2 or more party members are not in zerkers, you know it; trust me on that. And yes, we are in agreement here that if you mind your business, we mind ours. But if I posted for “dps builds,” “experienced” etc, I still get some random who seemingly cannot read.

Yenn.9185

yes, because I avoid partying up with kittens that care about what I wear by doing guild runs. Much more reliable.

Not the point, we’re talking about PuGs here. You can do a naked guild run and only your guild would care about.

Posted by: Konrad.9587

Konrad.9587

Question: how do you know they are wearing clerics? You ask right?

No need to ask, there is a couple of dps checks. For example, nightmare vines in TA. I am usually able to kill a vine alone in roughly the time it takes 4 remaining PUGs to kill the other one.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Support is meh I have a friend who rolls full support guardian he’s tanky as all hell, lots of heals ect ect. But it falls flat, he’s not carrying the team like he hoped, sure his support is a nice saving grace every so often but realistically he’s not adding much to a boss fight. He does no damage, and it’s nice how he won’t die but the contribution is ultimately minimal, especially when a lot of his “support skills” are utilities any guardian can run since people rely on the base effect more so than the passive buffs from traits.

This is a major issue with the game. As buffs are mostly duration stacking, there is very little to be gained from building for them beyond picking utilities.

Never mind that event rewards are solely based on damage done to the mobs.

I suspect a reason for this is that meaningful PVE support leads to indestructible PVP bunkers.

Lostwingman.5034

I suspect a reason for this is that meaningful PVE support leads to indestructible PVP bunkers.

Maybe PvE and PvP shouldn’t be using the same skills or balance of skills then…

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Maybe PvE and PvP shouldn’t be using the same skills or balance of skills then…

According to ANet, that path leads to player confusion…

Draknar.5748

But if I posted for “dps builds,” “experienced” etc, I still get some random who seemingly cannot read.

I’d be careful using “experienced” as a term when you really want DPS only builds. I consider myself experienced in every dungeon run because I know every encounter and have run them multiple multiple times but am not necessarily set up as a DPS build. I have 5 80s fully geared with different setups, so if they really want a DPS build I’ll run my zerker warrior, if they don’t care then I’ll likely run my Guardian or Ele just because I have more fun playing them.

But yea, if I saw someone asking for experienced players, I would join. If they hit me with the “you’re not in Zerker!!? GTFO!” I will be thoroughly upset as that wasn’t what was advertised. Sometimes I’m kicked before I can say “ok let me get on my zerker warrior” lol. Impatient jerks some people.

“DPS builds” is pretty clear. If you join a group asking for DPS builds in anything besides zerker, you deserve to get chewed out.

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

I’m sure you’re doing a lot keeping your group alive with that sub-100 VoR and 100 dodge rolls. If that’s “keeping your team alive” then surely doubling or even doing 20x the healing of some skills must make them gods.

Please just think before you come on these forums to troll. Its not my job to sit around and keep other people alive but i have the skills to do so while doing high damage.

Retal/protection/stability/aegis are the important skills and they work just as well in zerkers as in any other stat set. Not sure where you are getting those made up numbers from either.

If you like running around in PVT/clerics in dungeons then more power to you. But you clearly cant deny what I said because if you were capable of doing so, you would have, instead of typing some random irreverent paragraph.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

(edited by clint.5681)

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

Vanye’s carebear guild doesn’t run this stuff even on a monthly basis.
So he might as well not even be counted as “DOING” the content.

Doing it once, and then rarely ever again is not Replayability. MMO’s are like Rent-to-Own. If you don’t own that part of the content then you really have no credibility in the first place to be giving lectures on it

He’s doing the content alright. He just doesn’t do it the way you do, and that’s OK. There’s no reason to call him carebear just because he doesn’t care about efficiency 100%. And besides, there’s nothing wrong with caring for others; using “carebear” as a pejorative for “casual” (as if being casual by itself was wrong) is pretty stupid, and speaks more ill about you than about those “carebears” you loathe.

If being “tr00 hardcore” means I must be insulting, intolerant, offensive, and rude to “carebears”/casuals, then I very much rather be a carebear myself-after all, I very much liked the green “lucky” carebear when I was a child.

(Note that I do not believe it’s right to be intolerant towards efficiency-minded players, but they rarely pay me back in kind, especially as represented on these forums.)