So general consensus is...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Regizer.1763

Regizer.1763

that we want to be rewarded with something other than gear with higher stats?

Posted by: Sion.1653

Sion.1653

The problem is, a lot of player actually do want gear with higher stats. However, this form of reward isn’t really new content, just more of the same but 2.0 version. They should look at how the handled new content in GW1 – that game seemed to have it going on.

Posted by: Eandur.8109

Eandur.8109

What I expected: new skills, new weapons, new combos, new mechanics, new quests.

What I got: new grind.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I would have rather they added the infusion mechanic to the exotic tier. New mechanics and ways of setting up builds is a good thing, and sorely needed in GW2, but it really shouldn’t have a new equipment tier as a prerequisite.

It worked just fine in GW1 when they created the inscription slot and insignias.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Merthax.5172

Merthax.5172

The problem is, a lot of player actually do want gear with higher stats. However, this form of reward isn’t really new content, just more of the same but 2.0 version. They should look at how the handled new content in GW1 – that game seemed to have it going on.

Adding new stats on gear to provide a variety of gear would have been better than adding new gear that supersedes existing gear. Even adding gear with bigger numbers, but paired with penalties to offset those bigger numbers, would have been interesting.

Posted by: MINKZILLA.6023

MINKZILLA.6023

And didn’t think the fractals where a good idea, but so far after trying them they are kittening awsome

“Every quote you hear on the internet is true.”
-Abraham Lincoln

Regizer.1763

Adding new stats on gear to provide a variety of gear would have been better than adding new gear that supersedes existing gear. Even adding gear with bigger numbers, but paired with penalties to offset those bigger numbers, would have been interesting.

Hm that’s a good idea, maybe even add some cool effects to weapons/armor kinda like what Borderlands did.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

I think that if bosses and chest didn’t give the same disposable merchant trash like every other trash mob, people would have felt more rewarded from the beginning.

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

Imagine if they’d added gear that let you choose and swap around the stat spread you wanted, without having to waste 11+, 22+, 33+, etc inventory slots just to carry around a new set of armour and accessories (and weapons, for that matter).

Posted by: gamefreak.5673

gamefreak.5673

I would love new skills, new looks, and i actually liked how the new dungeon worked by ever increasing in difficulty. The issue is that it creates a gear treadmill and will hurt the casual gamer far more now. This will also make more players to have elitist mentalities and it was already showing after a few hours of releasing the new patch. I was refused out of two different groups because I play a necro. I know necro is buggy and such. Ive run most explore modes in the game, i have 5 sets of exotic gear, and i know how to dodge. What more do you want from a a player besides his best?

They should have just slotted the infusion on already exotic gear and kept legendary weapons to have the same stats of exotic weapons.

Regizer.1763

Imagine if they’d added gear that let you choose and swap around the stat spread you wanted, without having to waste 11+, 22+, 33+, etc inventory slots just to carry around a new set of armour and accessories (and weapons, for that matter).

So let’s say an armor drops, but it has 2 sets of stats. And you can switch between those 2 sets when you’re out of combat. For example an armor that has dps stats for 1 set and more tanky sets for second set. Kinda like that?

Posted by: maina.5389

maina.5389

That any forum poster thinks they are a “general Consensus” or represents a majority.

Regizer.1763

That any forum poster thinks they are a “general Consensus” or represents a majority.

Well I’m sick so I’ve been sitting home reading forums most of the day :p

Posted by: Crater.1625

Crater.1625

So let’s say an armor drops, but it has 2 sets of stats. And you can switch between those 2 sets when you’re out of combat. For example an armor that has dps stats for 1 set and more tanky sets for second set. Kinda like that?

Yeah, something like that. It would probably have to be the sort of thing where you can choose which two stat spreads you want (otherwise the chances of getting the two you were looking for would be really slim), or maybe even a rarer (Legendary?) version where you could choose any stat spread.

That would be an incredibly awesome and super useful kind of item to have in the game, it would be way more interesting than the same stuff with higher stats, and it would preserve the balance of the game.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Regardless of consensus, it’s clear anet is not living up to the promises made in their manifesto. And, having too much experience with MMO game companies, I know that they will never reverse their reversal of philosophy. So, regardless of consensus, GW2 is now just another MMO. The more important question is what will the player base do with that once they’ve gone through the phases of grieving. My guess is Guild Wars diehards will move on in significant numbers as a matter of principle. Players coming from WoW for a more friendly player playing with other players experience will be delighted and stay as GW2 becomes more and more WoW-like. While I would love to be wrong on this, I don’t believe anet will change it’s current morph into WoW with a friendlier face.

Regizer.1763

Regardless of consensus, it’s clear anet is not living up to the promises made in their manifesto. And, having too much experience with MMO game companies, I know that they will never reverse their reversal of philosophy. So, regardless of consensus, GW2 is now just another MMO. The more important question is what will the player base do with that once they’ve gone through the phases of grieving. My guess is Guild Wars diehards will move on in significant numbers as a matter of principle. Players coming from WoW for a more friendly player playing with other players experience will be delighted and stay as GW2 becomes more and more WoW-like. While I would love to be wrong on this, I don’t believe anet will change it’s current morph into WoW with a friendlier face.

I dunno, it is still way easier to gear up when other MMOs. Don’t give up hope on GW2 yet. Right now people are just fearing for the worst which is understandable but only time will tell in which direction GW2 is heading

Posted by: Eandur.8109

Eandur.8109

Regardless of being easier to gear up, we still have to gear up every 10 levels. And about 2 or 3 times at 80.

Posted by: stayBlind.7849

stayBlind.7849

What I expected: new skills, new weapons, new combos, new mechanics, new quests.

This

One million times: This.

Posted by: Natural.7013

Natural.7013

The same few thousand posters on the same 3 forums want a guild wars 1 clone. The hundreds of thousands that are just playing the game want more progression and more depth in this game. Anet is going in the right direction in PVE. Now, what we really need is more direction in WvW and Spvp and this game could be a classic in the making…

However, I kinda agree with the above post. To get more depth we need more of that kinda thing. Some grind is good, but we need weapons skills and traits that we can tinker with to practice on the dummies in LA to find what fits us the best for a given situation.

Posted by: XxRaSxX.1604

XxRaSxX.1604

Most of the people playing don’t post on the forums so I don’t know how they feel.

But, I think anyone that has been reading the forums for the past few days can tell the majority of people that have been posting are upset about…well everything that’s happend in the past week.

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

Forums show a microcosm of the population. They show the extremes of all sides of a playerbase, the most vocal.

Now, people ARE more likely to complain then to congratulate this is true. But ignoring the forum posters that overwhelmingly showing trouble, and also blogs and reports showing up now in the negative means something IS wrong and there is a fairly large percentage of the players unhappy with the new direction.

Any company takes this level of dissent seriously if they plan to maintain a good standing in the consumer market. Look at Funcom and SoE at what happened when you ignore this level of anger.

They are never.. EVER able to completely bounce back from this kind of negative response.

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

Posted by: Genesis.5169

Genesis.5169

The general consensus is casual which holds no ground to the game because they will eventually get bored and leave the game like they do with everything.

You heard it hear first.

These forums are a joke its not for opinions or debate its just a safe place for people to cry at.

Regizer.1763

The general consensus is casual which holds no ground to the game because they will eventually get bored and leave the game like they do with everything.

You heard it hear first.

Wouldn’t it be the opposite? Casual players keep playing because they will never run out of stuff to do. Hardcore players quit out of boredum because they finished all the content.

Wonder if ANet will be able to figure out how to please both casual and hardcore players

Posted by: Space Cow.2431

Space Cow.2431

Hire this man, please.

Posted by: Genesis.5169

Genesis.5169

You heard it hear first.

Wouldn’t it be the opposite? Casual players keep playing because they will never run out of stuff to do. Hardcore players quit out of boredum because they finished all the content.

Wonder if ANet will be able to figure out how to please both casual and hardcore players

Hardcores stay because they have invested so much time into the game and its hard to leave that kind of effort.

Hell i said with wow for 8 years 3 of those years i stop liking the game but i put so much work in the game i left.

Casuals are bound by nothing but attention span and in the video game populace there isn’t much of that look at every mmo that’s come out besides WoW. they come and they leave as the wind comes and leaves only the hardcores stayed.

These forums are a joke its not for opinions or debate its just a safe place for people to cry at.

Posted by: Yamiino.1827

Yamiino.1827

All GW2 needs now to be a WoW clone is refines.

Add that and I will never touch this game again…

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

You heard it hear first.

And here I thought that the entire business model was based around people leaving for a while, then coming back. As opposed to subscription models where, once you leave, having to start back up the subscription is a major barrier to you returning.

Posted by: NaughtyProwler.8653

NaughtyProwler.8653

Hold on I’ll answer in a sec. I gotta pull the daggers labelled SWG NGE, AoC post-Tortage and GW2 Fractals out of my back.

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

You heard it hear first.

Hardcores stay because they have invested so much time into the game and its hard to leave that kind of effort.

Hell i said with wow for 8 years 3 of those years i stop liking the game but i put so much work in the game i left.

Casuals are bound by nothing but attention span and in the video game populace there isn’t much of that look at every mmo that’s come out besides WoW. they come and they leave as the wind comes and leaves only the hardcores stayed.

You really have no experience in MMOs except for WoW do you?

Unless you are trolling only which is a possibility.

“Casuals” played GW1 for 7 years without a any type of gear upgrade vertically. Casuals still play WoW and have for many years without doing a single raid. Casuals play for fun.

The minute a game is not fun, you are right we leave… however I know both sides as I was a hardcore raider in EQ and DAoC and PvPer in both as well and as far back as M59 and UO. I have been both… and I can tell you I left games a LOT sooner as a hardcore raider then I do now as a casual. But that is because I also pick my games better.

So as a casual I play less games overall, and tend to stick to the ones I like for a long time. As a hardcore you tend to jump ship looking for the next quick fix. Kinda like a junky.

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

Posted by: Hydrophidian.4319

Hydrophidian.4319

You heard it hear first.

You really have no experience in MMOs except for WoW do you?

Unless you are trolling only which is a possibility.

“Casuals” played GW1 for 7 years without a any type of gear upgrade vertically. Casuals still play WoW and have for many years without doing a single raid. Casuals play for fun.

The minute a game is not fun, you are right we leave… however I know both sides as I was a hardcore raider in EQ and DAoC and PvPer in both as well and as far back as M59 and UO. I have been both… and I can tell you I left games a LOT sooner as a hardcore raider then I do now as a casual. But that is because I also pick my games better.

So as a casual I play less games overall, and tend to stick to the ones I like for a long time. As a hardcore you tend to jump ship looking for the next quick fix. Kinda like a junky.

You’re both right and you’re both wrong. The stumbling block is that ‘casual’ and ‘hardcore’ can apply to both player and play style. You can have a dedicated ‘hardcore’ player who has a casual approach (I’m like that). You can also have a casual player who prefers hardcore play (for example, linear-focused gamers with limited time/attention).

The two camps that I always see leave shortly after they arrive are the hardcore ‘vertical progression’ power gamers, and the casual players who just don’t invest in the game (for a variety of reasons), and are prone to drift to other things.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

You heard it hear first.

Wrong. The entire classification scheme you use casual/hardcore is coming from other games, as you are. Guild Wars is (was) a different conception entirely. Your post describes you well, but not Guild Wars.

Posted by: FluffyDoe.7539

FluffyDoe.7539

^ This.

Wrong. The entire classification scheme you use casual/hardcore is coming from other games, as you are. Guild Wars is (was) a different conception entirely. Your post describes you well, but not Guild Wars.

And also, stop using stuff like “that’s what you are/want, but not what the game is”, as if you know the game better than anyone else. Please, if you’re going to educated others do it with facts and not blatant troll.

Please and thank you

(edited by FluffyDoe.7539)