So.....gold caps.

So.....gold caps.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TranquilInSpirit.6291

TranquilInSpirit.6291

In a nutshell, I have 3 friends who donated differing levels of gold to help me with buying the Hunter. Now I’m stuck with 800g split between my mail and my storage guild because I thought depositing it would help with the cap (dumb I know). Given that stuff from storage guilds isn’t even reimbursed or anything, why does this have to be an entire week (/frustration).

As it stands, I now have to wait a week and a half to get any of my storage guild’s gold (I’m the only one that uses it :/) and clear my mail.

Sigh.

P.S. – All 3 of these friends have also been in the same guilds as me for a year so it’s not like I’m getting gold from a suspicious source or something. That seems like it should be part of a filter or something to determine how much you can receive -_-..

(edited by TranquilInSpirit.6291)

So.....gold caps.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Blame the gold sellers.

The mail amounts are to make buying gold from gold sellers more tedious. The guild amounts are to prevent guilds from being completely wiped out if a member with removal permissions get hacked by a gold seller looking to get gold to sell to others. Support does not roll back guild banks in the event of a guild member being hacked, so that part is also protection for guilds against members’ with lax security.

So.....gold caps.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It must be having some effect. I’ve noticed the gold-sellers messages now only sell 500G at a pop, rather than the 1000G they used to.

I’m sure the game’s health appreciates your, and everyone else’s, sacrifice.

Good luck.

So.....gold caps.

Posted by: Risingashes.8694

Risingashes.8694

@TranquilInSpirit.6291:

I feel your pain.

Unfortunately short sighted people like the replies above are fine with the horrible lazy system currently in place.

They should have allowed people with accounts authorized for more than 3 months a much higher limit so there weren’t as many false-positives. Instead we’re stuck with being treated like criminals for no actual benefit.

So.....gold caps.

Posted by: FrostyBou.5491

FrostyBou.5491

Having accounts authorized for a higher amount would just make the gold sellers focus more on compromising accounts and using them to send out gold. Maybe if the accounts had a additional security feature like the token or SMS would allow them to send/receive higher amounts. I don’t have the statistics, so I don’t know if that would even be a workable solution.

(edited by FrostyBou.5491)

So.....gold caps.

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

@TranquilInSpirit.6291:

I feel your pain.

Unfortunately short sighted people like the replies above are fine with the horrible lazy system currently in place.

They should have allowed people with accounts authorized for more than 3 months a much higher limit so there weren’t as many false-positives. Instead we’re stuck with being treated like criminals for no actual benefit.

Alot of gold sellers use hacked accounts, so this has 0 impact on that.

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

So.....gold caps.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

@TranquilInSpirit.6291:

I feel your pain.

Gold buyers are the ones targeted by the new system, not gold sellers. Gold sellers have a ton of accounts they can use to send mail; gold buyers have just the one. When they are limited to accepting gold in 500g/week increments, they tend not to be as eager to take the risk of losing their account to save a few bucks.

So, no, we’re not being treated like criminals; we’re being asked to sacrifice a small amount of convenience in exchange for putting a big dent in real money trading. I don’t have access to the stats to say whether it’s been effective enough to make it worth the trouble.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

So.....gold caps.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I seem to recall a dev saying it would only effect a small portion of players…..

But atleast weekly i hear the same complaints from people.

Could be they could tweak or make the system better by using a linked method. I.E if you have been friends with said person for x time or in a guild with them for x time the amount you can send between each group increases. I don’t think that’s too unreasonable a request.

So.....gold caps.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I seem to recall a dev saying it would only effect a small portion of players…..

Could be they could tweak or make the system better by using a linked method. I.E if you have been friends with said person for x time or in a guild with them for x time the amount you can send between each group increases. I don’t think that’s too unreasonable a request.

And the people complaining could still easily fall under the small amount of people who would be affected.

Or they’re gold buyers trying to pass off what they’re doing as not against the rules (not saying that’s the case here) and they’ve been wrongly caught in the net.

That time would have to be prohibitively large to stop gold sellers and buyers. Probably longer than most people want to wait. Because otherwise, the gold buyers will be willing to wait that long.

So.....gold caps.

Posted by: thefinnster.7105

thefinnster.7105

they say its all to stop the gold sellers tho i think its more related to stopping players selling precursors off the TP since the bs child’s play measures can easily be countered by sending ectos instead of gold
i mean seriously it took me less than a minute to think of that
witch makes me wana ask Anet are you stupid or what or do you think we are ?

i mean why not just add pin numbers to our gold storage section of the wallet that would actually be a hell of a lot more secure than your current so called security measures and wouldent hurt any players or limit there transactions
yeah that one took me another minute to think up and this is just yet another reason i think this has more to do with precurssor transactions than anything else coz if they had actualy wanted to secure our gold i can think of a dozen ways all more efective than this

(edited by thefinnster.7105)

So.....gold caps.

Risingashes.8694

Alot of gold sellers use hacked accounts, so this has 0 impact on that.

I specifically wrote, accounts that had been authorized for 3 months.

If you’re authorized then no one can hijack your account unless they steal your mobile phone.

Having the 3 month requirement would stop unauthorized accounts getting hijacked and the hacker temporarily adding an authorization.

I’d hope accounts needing to be hijacked for 3 months and burning a cell number to do it, would hurt gold sellers just as much as the current system, yet would also stop false positives.

So.....gold caps.

Risingashes.8694

The insane thing is that it would only stop the stupidest of gold sellers.

All you’d need to do is get buyers to list a lowly traded item for a ridiculous amount.

Bam, gold transferred. 15% cost. No cap. Or better yet, just list 1000 items at 0.001% of the intended transfer amount. Even harder to notice.

I’d love to see ANet limit trading post sales to 500g per month, just to see the people who support the current ineffective BS come crying about how this new ‘sacrifice’ isn’t worth it.

This entire thing is ‘security theater’ at it’s worst.

So.....gold caps.

Posted by: Chobits.2430

Chobits.2430

Start trading in commodities instead of gold. I would take payment in Bolts of Damask.

So.....gold caps.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

DRM often hurts honest customers more than pirates. Anet’s gold transfer policy is doing exactly the same thing.

So.....gold caps.

Posted by: TranquilInSpirit.6291

TranquilInSpirit.6291

For some reason, it’s not liking my attempt at multi-quotes so I’ll just simplify.

— “I seem to recall a dev saying it would only effect a small portion of players…..”
This I understand entirely. Still a really poorly designed system though.

— “Could be they could tweak or make the system better by using a linked method. I.E if you have been friends with said person for x time or in a guild with them for x time the amount you can send between each group increases. I don’t think that’s too unreasonable a request.”

Looking back, I missed this part and we both have similar thoughts.
And the people complaining could still easily fall under the small amount of people who would be affected.

— “Or they’re gold buyers trying to pass off what they’re doing as not against the rules (not saying that’s the case here) and they’ve been wrongly caught in the net.”

I think it’d be pretty obvious if someone was moving huge amounts of gold to someone they’ve never talked to or anything before compared to a few friends exchanging things. Also I have a screenshot of the sad situation if you want (though my storage is kind of messy so no judging please).

The insane thing is that it would only stop the stupidest of gold sellers.

All you’d need to do is get buyers to list a lowly traded item for a ridiculous amount.

Bam, gold transferred. 15% cost. No cap. Or better yet, just list 1000 items at 0.001% of the intended transfer amount. Even harder to notice.

The sad thing is I’ve actually seen this myself lol. Was some piece of trash armor for like 2700 gold or some nonsense.

Honestly, I think it could just come down to a matter of verifying if the person is on the list of authorizing networks and then filtering the percentage of capping based on time or some other big factor between the trader/tradee. As an example, having a 600g limit instead of a 500g for friends you’ve had for 6 months vs a cap of 100g with someone you’ve just recently met. I know there’s any amount of metrics they have to keep track of such things.

Then again, there’s gold sellers doing the examples mentioned above so it’s kind of irrelevant.

(edited by TranquilInSpirit.6291)

So.....gold caps.

Posted by: cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

cupcakesandcatnomz.3924

This all could easily be solved by just waiting and not be a whiny little fruitloop :/ this cap is good, it pretty much killed off the goldsellers spam whisps and map chat is readable again, get used to it!

So.....gold caps.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

What the devs said was that, prior to instituting the 500g per week limit, only a tiny fraction of people transferred that much. Naturally, you’re going to hear from someone every week because even a tiny fraction of 100,000 or 500,000 (or however many people play GW2 each week) is still enough for some of them to post in the forums.

I don’t think your proposed change is “unreasonable” in the sense of fairness. It’s just harder to code and harder to prevent it from being used as a work-around by gold sellers. I think it might turn out to be more trouble than it’s worth, for ANet.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

So.....gold caps.

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

This all could easily be solved by just waiting and not be a whiny little fruitloop :/ this cap is good, it pretty much killed off the goldsellers spam whisps and map chat is readable again, get used to it!

Uhm, no? It didn’t? I still get the same amount of goldspam. Only difference is that they advertise smaller amounts of gold and more items (precursers and legendaries) instead of huge amounts of gold.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

So.....gold caps.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

A small number of players who used mail, they didn’t provide numbers for guild bank transfers.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

So.....gold caps.

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

This whole limit is way too small. I say 5000g should be the bare minimum if there has to be a limit.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.