in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bunschii.2918

Bunschii.2918

love it. Why dont ANET make a movie about it? its beautiful

So i just finished reading Ghost of Ascalon

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

I think popular opinion is that was the best out of the three.

I feel that writer had more freedom because they were not tied to a specific event or set of people to write about, so they had more room to explore people and ideas.

I liked reading the edge of destiny, but you know how it is going to end, so its a tragedy waiting to happen, and honestly felt they breezed through everything that came at them. The characters were a tad shallow in terms of depth, but I think I like them still over all.

Sea of Sorrows was a fun read and I respect/understand lions arch more now, but it spans so much time in a short book it can feel rushed as well.

All three of them had corny “video game descriptions” in them, about how someone is a ranger, or a guardian, or a mesmer and so on. Out of the three, edge of destiny had the most video game references which kind of turns me off.

Personal preference, I don’t need to be given verbatim moves in the game and describe generic things about a race, but I get that they are trying to keep to the original lore and design.

Posted by: Bunschii.2918

Bunschii.2918

Iam starting destiny’s edge now and going to read sea of sorrows after. After reading that post i hope the 2 novels will still entertain me. (:

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

They are still fun reads, don’t get me wrong. I’m just being hyper critical. I didn’t ever feel forced to read them.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I liked all 3.

Edge of Destiny gave me that nerdy enjoyment of reading the backstory to what my in-game characters eventually encounter. I agree with CMF that the story went very fast and could easily have been another 200 pages full of character development and longer battles.

Sea of Sorrows was actually my favorite of the 3. It’s a much broader story and, while it focuses primarily on only 1 man, encompasses many years and gives the reader a sense of the world of Tyria changing.

SoS is chronologically before EoD but it’s ok. I read em in that order too.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: holodoc.5748

holodoc.5748

For me personally “Ghosts of Ascalon” is the best of all three. Its exceptionally well written, well paced and makes the reader care about the characters. It was actually so good that I was literally blown away when I fist discovered that you can meet some of the book characters in the game. Not to mention my reaction when I found the resting place of one of them (hint – Fields of Ruin). Brought almost a tear to my eye.

As for other two books I have to say that I was not impressed with “Destiny’s Edge”. It felt so rushed in my opinion and had a pacing that I absolutely didn’t like. I.e. some parts felt way to dragged off while on the other hand things that had so much potential used to come down to one simple sentence like “and then they did that”. Actually I think that “Destiny’s Edge” can be summed up with “good beginning, way to dragged off and somewhat boring middle and an ending that was, well, ok”.

“Sea of Sorrows” was personally a mixed bag for me. One of the things that I can’t forgive ANet is the fact that prior to releasing the book they’ve put Marriner Plaques in the game with absolutely ZERO warning that they contain major spoilers. That ruined the book for me because the moment I read a character name I almost knew what was going to happen to him/her. I am also not that much of a fan when it comes to mixing pirates and all that sea stuff with Guild Wars. In other pirate oriented franchises maybe but focusing so much on pirates in Guild Wars (for whatever purpose) is something I am really not a fan of. Other than that “Sea of Sorrows” is a pretty good book – I’d put it right after “Ghosts of Ascalon”.

(edited by holodoc.5748)

Posted by: Talenna.4052

Talenna.4052

I enjoyed Ghosts of Ascalon a lot, but have yet to read the other two. I really must get around to them. It’s nice to read more of the lore.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

“Sea of Sorrows” was personally a mixed bag for me. One of the things that I can’t forgive ANet is the fact that prior to releasing the book they’ve put Marriner Plaques in the game with absolutely ZERO warning that they contain major spoilers. That ruined the book for me because the moment I read a character name I almost knew what was going to happen to him/her.

That’s a shame. I saw the plaques and heard about the book and figured I shouldn’t read the plaques until after the book. I hate spoilers and didn’t want to chance it. I agree with you though that it is kinda lame to put spoilers on the plaques. They were supposed to bea sort of ad campaign for the book, but you can’t go giving things away in the trailers.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)