So let me get this straight.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ShaneEbner.1450

ShaneEbner.1450

Living world content, the temporary stuff, will be available to purchase after it is expired?

If so, you should have done this earlier. I will gladly play this game again.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Yes, starting with season 2. Season 1 wasn’t designed with this in mind, so they’re having to figure out how to make it work, and it’ll take longer.

But if you log in at all during the time period the living story is active, it’ll be unlocked for your account to play anytime. The only time you’ll have to pay is if you miss it entirely, and want to play it.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

ShaneEbner.1450

They are gonna make it work with season 1 though right? Well guess I’ll dust off my account. I’ll level a fresh toon. This was always one of my biggest little complaints.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

not just that but if you log in to the game in the two week period while it is going you’ll have access to it without actually needing to purchase it after it ends. Please note all you need is log, not play and finish it or anything like that. So if you have a busy 2 weeks where you have no time to play as long as you have the 2 minutes to login 1 time you will get that episode to play forever for free.

ShaneEbner.1450

Make it so I can play season 1 and you can have my wallet Arenanet.

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

It would have been easier and more cost effective for them if they left the content. They wouldn’t have to use manpower to put it back in the game then.

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

They are gonna make it work with season 1 though right? Well guess I’ll dust off my account. I’ll level a fresh toon. This was always one of my biggest little complaints.

As Guhracie said, season 1 wasn’t done with this in mind, so they are going to have to retrofit it. This means it will be a while before we see it, but they have said that they intend to do it.

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

They said that they’re going to work on it yes but its not going to be in the short term. And my personal opinion so dont take this for a fact, I think not all of season 1 will be translatable since not all of season 1 played out in instances which is kinda required for how they’re going to make this work. That being said nothing is stopping them from translating those episodes that were not instanced into instances so like I said I might be wrong. Whatever the case they got a lot of work ahead of them.

That being said if what you’re worrying about is you want to play season 1 before season 2 the way story played out in season 1 I dont think its entirely necessary. The way season 1 ended I think Season 2 will feel mostly standalone with season 1 being sort of the history of what led to it. Sort of hobbit → lord of the rings thing… with season 1 being the hobbit and season 2 being the lord of the rings

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It would have been easier and more cost effective for them if they left the content. They wouldn’t have to use manpower to put it back in the game then.

Yes, but they didn’t think of it until after Season 1.

I think even having content playable for 2 weeks at a time was a compromise on their original ideas. Based on the promotion for the Lost Shores (Karka) weekend event they were originally planning for only the base game to be permanent and then have lots of one time only events. But that first one was such a disaster they scrapped the idea.

After that they experimented with other ideas, like Wintersday 2012 where some stuff was up for a whole month and other parts became available during the festival, like the 5 different versions of the dungeon.

When they first announced that future releases would come out every 2 weeks and all the content would be available to play at any time within that it was actually heralded as a great move by many players because it was a big improvement on what we had before.

Maybe if they could go back to when GW2 first came out (or earlier) they would have gone with this system from the start, but I don’t think they were deliberately delaying it for 2 years. I think they genuinely believed that temporary content would be more fun and exciting.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: The Revenant.4970

The Revenant.4970

When they first announced that future releases would come out every 2 weeks and all the content would be available to play at any time within that it was actually heralded as a great move by many players because it was a big improvement on what we had before.

Maybe if they could go back to when GW2 first came out (or earlier) they would have gone with this system from the start, but I don’t think they were deliberately delaying it for 2 years. I think they genuinely believed that temporary content would be more fun and exciting.

The limited time events were fun and exciting. It gave you the sense of experiencing something for being in the right place at the right time (being in the ‘know’ or the ‘cool kids club’). While I understand peoples qualms with that, who don’t play the game regularly, it still had it’s undeniable merits for those that did/do. I think the new system is going to be an improvement in the long run though.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Mainly it gave me the sense of spending an entire weekend hanging around the computer to make sure I was there when something happened. Then having to go back and do it again out of order because it was bugged.

But it was the lag fest of a finale that really made it fall apart. I think I went through 12 different overflows doing that and it was blind luck that I was in the right place and able to move without being disconnected when the boss was killed.

Honestly if someone mentions that they missed it the sentiment I see most often is that they didn’t really miss anything, except that the end chest had a slightly higher chance of dropping a precursor.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Living world content, the temporary stuff, will be available to purchase after it is expired?

If so, you should have done this earlier. I will gladly play this game again.

Living world content is no longer temporary. Unlike Season 1:

• All open world content will be free and permanent. It will either be new stuff, or replacing old stuff – as I understand it (so akin to Southsun’s end outcome, or Kessex Hills’ changed outcome).
  • All instances will have to be unlocked. It is permanent, but getting it for free is temporary. They also will function a lot more like the personal story, except repeatable – and seemingly, without division.

There is no more “expiring” of content. No more “temporary” gameplay. If anything will still be temporary, it will be gemstore items.

Make it so I can play season 1 and you can have my wallet Arenanet.

They said in the reveal of Season 2’s permanence and the new journal design that they will eventually make Season 1 permanent and replayable like Season 2. Just that it isn’t on the table right now.

My guess for the reason is that since the design was so different it would take a lot of time to rework it, which in turn would push Season 2 off further for old content that… few people actually liked. And even then, since so much was open world they’d have to translate the story important aspects of that into instances which may not be the easiest thing to do since they’re designed differently no doubt – they may have to do all of that stuff from scratch, and even then, ignore half of it since it isn’t important to the plot (unless they make those events permanent and returning).

I wouldn’t expect it anytime soon. If ever – ArenaNet has a tendency to ‘never get to’ the unpopular things. If we get it – which I hope we do, and improved from the initial iteration, alongside a replayable personal story – I would expect it in a feature update. So when we’d get it depends on how they’re dividing up the content and the feature updates (since it seems that with Season 2, they’re no longer doing them together like they did with Season 1).

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

Did you actually play any of it? It wouldn’t have worked. Let’s take one of the bits that was left in for a long time, Scarlet Invasions. Ever try one towards the end of season 1? Heck, I never even saw one reach the final stage after they changed the order things spawned in.

Toxic spore events are still in the game, when was the last time you saw anybody doing one? I finished one in Queensdale a week or two ago but it’s rare.

A lot of the content was designed for large numbers of people to do at the same time over a short time period. Leaving it in the game wouldn’t work as there would never be enough people to do it, and it will require some major redesign before they bring it back in a similar format to how season 2 will be.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes