So lvl 90 coming soon?

So lvl 90 coming soon?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Half of what they said before release they have already ignored and went another way.

Hopefully this is something they considered dropping as well.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I love post like the original one that started this thread, as well, I love posters like the one that posted it. Always gives me a good laugh.

He takes, "someday we may raise the level cap, and turns it into a “level cap will be 90 in 2014”…………………With post and threads like this, I feel bad for the devs, this would cause me to avoid the forums if I was a dev.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

So long as our gear Lv80 Exotic gear/weapons gets insta LvXX, I could care less (of course, you can’t wear them because your char is Lv80 and the new item requires the character to be LvXX).

But then again, if Anet released a new level cap instantly making our current gear obsolete, I guess I can quit or try if the game is still worth playing.

I’m sure Anet is prepared for this despite the really bad structure I seen form the get go (never restrict gear to one variable ever!) on this. It will probably be based on dungeons and new tokens/other reward systems currently in place with blue gear being so slightly better at 90 (for arguments sake) that 80 gear even in exotic/ascended will do just fine (blue 75 is only slightly better than rare 70) until you get to the point where you could need it. GW 2 doesn’t really have much of a barrier to entry for content as people think.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: slurpey.6014

slurpey.6014

speculations and nothing else.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Half of what they said before release they have already ignored and went another way.

Hopefully this is something they considered dropping as well.

Ignored? You mean you have never stated that you planned to do something, then adjusted or changed your plans based based on outside influence?

Anet had plans, that they changed based on feed back and what they saw taking place in game. It is a kittenildish to hate them for it.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Pariah.8506

Pariah.8506

I believe that quote from Mike’O’Brien was from a half year before release :P.

They’re not going to improve the level cap… I hope x.x

Yes that information is more than half year old, somebody just trolling forum with it.

Really? How did you determine an expiration date?

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Verdelet Arconia.6987

Verdelet Arconia.6987

10 more trait points will give more build diversity,and the pain for farming lvl 90 best gears

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

“They can add those zones at any level range already attainable. What’s the point in making it extend our level?”

They can add them any way they like. As long as it’s not a throw away zone like southsun. At this point I simply want more to explore and do.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: whyme.3281

whyme.3281

as long as level cap increase means elite zones only, which actually require more than just damage, why not. But if they only increase health and armor, we can stay at lvl 80 forever.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Anyone read my posts in respect to this? Has a lot of pros and cons and what Anet should have done with the game in the first place.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I have tried, but the writing style makes it difficult to understand…for me. I’m not sure what you are saying. But, I’m not all that conversant with stat schemes in different games. =)

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Increasing the level cap would have to add more power to the game. The only other reason to increase the level cap would be to create a gating mechanism for new content, a “your level number must be X to play this content.” Other features normally associated with a max level increase (story, zones, etc.) can be added without increasing the max level.

Adding levels without increasing base stats, adding more trait points and introducing more powerful gear would be not be accepted by many players who would hate the idea of “having to level-up” without getting anything out of it other than access to a new area. The forums already have people who want to level to 80 as fast as possible.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

Increasing the level cap would have to add more power to the game. The only other reason to increase the level cap would be to create a gating mechanism for new content, a “your level number must be X to play this content.” Other features normally associated with a max level increase (story, zones, etc.) can be added without increasing the max level.

Adding levels without increasing base stats, adding more trait points and introducing more powerful gear would be not be accepted by many players who would hate the idea of “having to level-up” without getting anything out of it other than access to a new area. The forums already have people who want to level to 80 as fast as possible.

I have to agree when you put it in those terms, in the rush to have new levels or content or even traits there has to be some sort of trade off or there isn’t really a point….it would be just another grind to level up to the next plateau, kinda’ like the LS content where after a few days of doing it you have achieved the rewards and nothing is left to do, at least with LS you know in a week or so you’ll have another slice to digest wither you like the taste or not.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

The “Grind Wars 2” God demands it.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

level 90 zones?

they can add hard zones without raising the level cap.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

“We’ve always EXPECTED that we will someday raise the level cap in GW2”

I would say that the expected part makes it quite clear that nothing is actually decided, only that they had those plans discussed.

That’s not usually how “expected” is define.

Sure it is. How often did you expect something that never happened or have an expectation that wasn’t lived up to . I bet plenty of times .

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

I believe that quote from Mike’O’Brien was from a half year before release :P.

They’re not going to improve the level cap… I hope x.x

It was exactly 1 year ago, ie. post release.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/13tuac/im_the_studio_design_director_on_guild_wars_2_ama/c7762pk

Don’t worry, they will increase the level cap.
How else can they easily implement gear grinding for players who finished grinding their legendaries? Grind for new legendaries and obsoleting the old level 80 legendaries!

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

I welcome a level cap increase – with expansion content only. If they just roll out a new level cap without a expansion, its going to look really bad…

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

This is an extremely old quote, OP. I highly doubt that they would increase the level cap after the ascended debacle.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Their goal is to have a minor vertical progression curve. Ascended gear was scheduled to be released over the course of a year and then after that, infusion upgrades. They can also do ascended runes and sigils.

A level cap increase shouldn’t be expected for another 1.5-3 years, assuming they don’t just introduce another tier.

I welcome a level cap increase – with expansion content only. If they just roll out a new level cap without a expansion, its going to look really bad…

If they release something like the crystal desert, ring of fire, etc, through the living story, that is “expansion content” and they could easily throw in a level cap increase. You are told that “you are not ready yet” to face the deep, when talking to the largos.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Huck.1405

Huck.1405

There’s no valid reason to increase the level cap. The present cap of 80 has already driven people who might have played GW2 away, 3 of my nephews for example, and I almost decided not to for that reason. So upping the level cap is not going to draw more new players and will certainly drive off many present players.

Game changes should be geared to entice people to play the game and continue to play the game, not drive them off. And a new leveling and gear grind will not draw and keep players.

“You can teach ’em, but you cant learn ’em.”

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Increasing the level cap implies stat inflation. Which means that there will be tiers beyond ascended. Which also means GW2 isn’t any different than the others.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Increasing the level cap implies stat inflation. Which means that there will be tiers beyond ascended. Which also means GW2 isn’t any different than the others.

Not necessarily.
An increased level must not mean new tiers. It is fully possible to stay with the same tiers but with higher levels.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Not necessarily.
An increased level must not mean new tiers. It is fully possible to stay with the same tiers but with higher levels.

Essentially keeping the same gear and increasing base stats, which is stupid because the game is balanced around level 80 base stats.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Hell Avenger.7021

Hell Avenger.7021

same thing as i said earlier, the day they increase level cap and makes armor obsolete is the day i quit gw2

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

I hope there aren’t level cap raises. Level cap raises bring more problems than solutions.

They have to make level 85 greens have higher stats than level 80 ascendeds, and they have to make people’s power seemingly balloon in massive inflation of stats to make people feel like they’re “progressing”.

World of Warcraft has people running around with several hundred thousand HP doing 50,000 dps. The inflation is sickening.

SWTOR had a 5 level increase and people’s health and damage literally doubled.

Leveling serves just as a function as an extended tutorial. Once you’ve reached cap, there is no need for further tutorial.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Not necessarily.

With what? Level 90 ascended/exo gear? Increasing level cap with no practical way to actually get stronger is pointless and the kind of appeal to the lowest common denominator stuff that Anet is supposed to be above.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I wouldn’t mind a level cap raise, I would hate a gear level raise.

In fact, I would love a level cap raise alone due to 10 more trait points would open up worlds of possibilities for builds.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Arenanet made many statements/promises that never made it into the game. Remember when they said dyes would be account wide?

This qoute doesn’t mean anything. A level increase would be absolutely catastrophic. I would have to buy everything all over again and buy tons of transmutation stones to keep my skins (I have a lot of alts).

I know they need to make money, but there is such a thing as overkill.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Shockwave.1230

Shockwave.1230

If ANet would like a bunch of backlash, they should raise the level cap. I’m sure completionists with exotics, ascended, and legendary gear will be happy to provide it.

Sylvari Elementalist – Mystree Duskbloom (Lv 80)
Norn Guardian – Aurora Lustyr (Lv 80)
Mia A Shadows Glow – Human Thief (Lv 80)

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I have tried, but the writing style makes it difficult to understand…for me. I’m not sure what you are saying. But, I’m not all that conversant with stat schemes in different games. =)

Yeah I write/type very complexly. Glad you’re honest. I write/type on a scholarly level of complexity with big words and well thought out language.

To put what i said in teh two or three posts plainly.

• GW 2 uses a level gated system that is not very steep seeing how easy it is to get to 1-80 in a few days to up to 2 weeks max with average 4-6 hours of play a day DOING THINGS not sitting in LA goofing off, mind you.
  • Gear in gw 2 is level hard capped whereas in games I played, its capped and based on your stats and only the way you build your character limits what you can wear. Armor was still hard capped to levels but in PSO 2 and others (like most jprgs and korean mmos), everything is to your stats. It not a bad thing mind you, it could be good for gw2 if it was done this way and done right.
  • In GW2 you gain stats like other mmos gradually based on your level. Like other common level-based mmos, yet its very rigid.
  • Talking about gear again, gear in some other games while being based on stats only has variable requirements (attack or defense or some other stat) even within their own rarities, the rarity is not so much of a tier but a guideline as to where it is placed in its gradual power climb. Better gear = higher rarity but not rigid like GW 2/WoW/etc.
  • The draw back of the system I was talking about is that skinning may not be allowed or non-existent… as you will have added effects and things that are unique to each and every weapon. An 8 tiered system like in GW 2, allows the transmutation system to exist. Why can’t the best of both worlds be combined? Beats me!

(edited by Yumiko Ishida.3769)

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

Arenanet made many statements/promises that never made it into the game. Remember when they said dyes would be account wide?

This qoute doesn’t mean anything. A level increase would be absolutely catastrophic. I would have to buy everything all over again and buy tons of transmutation stones to keep my skins (I have a lot of alts).

That would keep you busy and logging in every day and more likely to spend gem’s…it’s a win win for them.

it’s all about the money, money, money…

I think NCSoft is pushing for higher sales, WildStar ditching b2p and going sub makes me think it isn’t as successful as it’s made out to be

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

That would keep you busy and logging in every day and more likely to spend gem’s…it’s a win win for them.

I think NCSoft is pushing for higher sales, WildStar ditching b2p and going sub makes me think it isn’t as successful as it’s made out to be

If it’s all about money they should have added a sub fee to gw2. The level cap should NEVER be increased, it will be an absolute nightmare for people who have lots of alts.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Drazerg.8956

Drazerg.8956

The day the cap is raised and i have to regrind for gear is the day i quit.
P.S: Love and play this game every day.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

If it’s all about money they should have added a sub fee to gw2. The level cap should NEVER be increased, it will be an absolute nightmare for people who have lots of alts.

There is nowhere near enough to do to justify a sub fee. Most games get away with it by taking a long time to reach max level and max stats/gear. In gw2 it takes a month to do all of that and then it’s grind for legendary, spvp, or WvW. None of the legendaries interest me enough to pay a fee to grind for and WvW queues would never justify a fee for me. That just leaves spvp when I could play capture point in TF2 for free with balanced classes…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Protoavis.9107

It’d be too controversial to go from b2p to sub.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

(edited by Protoavis.9107)

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Healix.5819

The current trend is to start with a sub and then drop it later. Regardless of if there’s a sub or not, people are still going to buy it to try it and then quit a few months later. Why not charge them a little extra. The only downside is they might get a smaller initial player base and that after the switch, those people will see the game as a failure.

WildStar, being a new MMO with no background, I doubt will be able to keep a sub. With the way they handle combat though, they’d probably make a better e-sport game than GW2, so you never know.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Protoavis.9107

The current trend is to start with a sub and then drop it later. Regardless of if there’s a sub or not, people are still going to buy it to try it and then quit a few months later. Why not charge them a little extra. The only downside is they might get a smaller initial player base and that after the switch, those people will see the game as a failure.

WildStar, being a new MMO with no background, I doubt will be able to keep a sub. With the way they handle combat though, they’d probably make a better e-sport game than GW2, so you never know.

Under normal circumstances I’d agree but in the case of WildStar, particularly with Jeremy Gaffney saying what he said, it looks like something caused a change in business model.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Anyone even commented on my posts yet? I brought a very good thing to this discussion and no one seems to get out of the same circular thing that has been going on here?

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Not necessarily.

Then I don’t understand the point of increasing levels.

Leveling isn’t fun. What’s fun is unlocking new skills and abilities. You can do that without leveling. Stat inflation via leveling and gear grinds is a pointless treadmill designed to keep the hamsters running on the hamster wheel.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Sunshine.4680

Sunshine.4680

I never understood why you needed so many levels wouldn’t a lvl 40-50 cap be enough? What’s with the need for 80+?

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Requiem.8769

Requiem.8769

Level cap increases would be the beginning of a treadmill, and nothing more.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Wouldn’t do much for me as most times when I hit level 80 I am still in level 50/60/70 gear so I would most likely still wear 80 exotics/ascended til 90.

The only place where it makes sense is in the trait category. Upscaling and downscaling and power creep would keep you on par with content possibly giving you more damage during the times of downscaling. Would just expand on what you could do with builds you already run but ultimately even out to what you can already do because stats would increase also. Hp’s would probably be enough to compensate for the increased 10/15/20-25% damage increase specific traits you can take.

Pointless imo.

Power Creep is a real thing. It’s not an exaggeration and this would certainly be power creep.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

There’s too much “WoW mechanics” in my Guildwars already, now you want more… lets not diminish the populations of this game even more.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

Leveling wasn’t really much of a problem in most games, because the old levels you had weren’t wiped away and so your progress thus far still mattered.

Its the gear treadmill that’s a pain in the kitten . Everytime a new level cap gets introduced, there’s a new set of BiS gear which meant you the old set of BiS gear you shed blood and sweat for is now completely invalidated and the only thing to do with it is delete it from your inventory after farming the new BiS.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: An Siorai Tharian.4516

An Siorai Tharian.4516

This makes me so mad. When they release ascended armor, why bother, if it will end up being obsolete in a future release?

Ascended Armor
Ascended Weapons
Ascended Trinkets

And worst of all… LEGENDARY WEAPONS

All of these things would automatically become obsolete the instant the level cap is increased. I’ve seen it happen in many, many games.

Take my all time favorite Final Fantasy XI. When that game was first released the Level Cap was level 75, and the strongest Armor and Weapons that an individual could obtain in the game were the Artifact Gear.

Now, there have been 8 additional variations on that games Elite Armor. There are at least four variations on that games Elite Weapons, and in some instances the Elite Weapons aren’t even the most optimal weapon for a given class in that game. At the current time the most advanced version of the Armor, known as the Empyrean +2 set on each class completely outclasses each and every other set of Armor in the game. And a character can only wear a complete set of Empyrean +2 Armor at level 90. The max level in the game at the current time is level 99, which is really the highest level most Final Fantasy Games go to. There is some gear in the game now that is only available to level 99 characters I am sure, but I haven’t played in long enough to know what that gear is, but it is probably Magian Trial Weapon related (most Magian Trial Weapons are superior to ordinary weapons).

Point is, when you raise the level cap in a game, if you do not include some way by which to allow the Elite Gear that currently exists in your game (in this case the Ascended Gear and Legendary Gear) to be upgraded in some manner so that it is still functional at the new level cap, you will have the net result that you will kitten off every single person that worked their butt and resources off to get the ascended gear, and especially those that wasted resources on their Legendary Gear. Especially those of us who wasted real life money to buy the necessary components to get either of those types of items.

It is bad business policy to make people have to work for new gear because of a level cap, when it is a perfectly viable option to make pre-existing gear in the game upgradeable to match your new level cap.

++++++++++++++++++

On a side note…. adding just TEN levels to the game seems a bit of a poor-man’s solution when doing a new expansion. Especially in a game where content scales as much as it does in this game. Why just 10 levels? Why not another 40 levels? That would be more than enough to introduce an entirely new story-arch. 10 just seems too few to me.

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA
Ranger 80 | Elementalist 30 | Guardian 29 | Necromancer 21

(edited by An Siorai Tharian.4516)

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Healix.5819

I never understood why you needed so many levels wouldn’t a lvl 40-50 cap be enough? What’s with the need for 80+?

GW2 chose a high level cap because the idea was that obtaining levels quickly was more fun than grinding levels slowly.

Would you rather have 80 levels where you level up roughly once every hour or 20 levels at roughly 4 hours each? Both methods would result in the exact same character, trait points, skills, etc.

If GW2 did increase the level cap, they would probably do +20 levels, maybe +40 depending on what zones were unlocked with it.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: KotCR.6024

KotCR.6024

I could live with a level cap increase. 80 to 90 or whatever would be fine, under the strictest condition that, level 80 equipment still remains the BiS gear. No, I don’t mean Ascended and Legendaries get beefed up to Level 90 gear status; I mean Level 90 Gear doesn’t exist. Nor does 81-89.

In otherwords, if it was just about getting a few more attribute points, perhaps a wider array of availiable skills and weapons (so long as they are options and not strictly stronger than current skills and weapons) I could live with that. It wouldn’t bother me (hey, you’d be downscaled to 80 or lower for most areas anyway, right? So if they changed the cap to 90 they’d have to be a point to it that would mostly only be relevant to the new zone that needed 90 characters or whatever). It would help me solve a few build set-up dilemmas too!

Presumably, sPvP would remain at an auto-capped 80, to prevent any sort of rebalancing debacle.

But really, while I wouldn’t mind it, assuming the above limitations are implimented, right now, what exactly would be the point of a level cap increase? If they want to do it, fine, but make sure it’s not “just for the sake of it”.

(edited by KotCR.6024)

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Agreed mainly. Raise it to 100 if you have to, to add trait points, or maybe a 6th trait line per profession, for a large amount of new content – say, Destiny’s Edge vs Kralkatorrik revisited. However keep the gear at level 80, so the additional 20 levels only add trait points. Adding base stats is a bad idea in my opinion as some classes are already unbalanced at base – pushing it to 100 will only increase Warrior power while making Elementalists even weaker in comparison.

So lvl 90 coming soon?

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

NO LEVEL InCREASE PLEASE THAT WOULD SUCJK

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native