So much GS

So much GS

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lucky Charmz.5089

Lucky Charmz.5089

I’ve noticed that for the DPS Guardian…the DPS Warrior…the melee Ranger…(in my opinion the only three that can melee without stealthing/hit and running/dying all the time)…the Greatsword is the best option for DPS.

Particularly for PvP.

And even the other way…the theif and necro are both viable (necro not so much) as melee dps in PvP…but they both use double daggers. (Or the thief can use a sword and a dagger…still a sword.)

I just wish there was more variety. Tired of using a GS to be viable, and tired of seeing a million people with GSs all the time.

I find this lame…why would all three have the same weapon as doing the most melee DPS?

Why not have one be a sword/torch…or one be a hammer…or axes…etc.

I might be nit-picky, but doesn’t it seem a bit dull?

I also wish there would be a melee staff user (kind of monk-esq). I just want to see someone flailing a staff around.

So much GS

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

As a ranger player, I’d like to point out that mainhand sword usually does more damage as a GS, but GS offers way more utility than the mainhand sword.

So much GS

Posted by: Mizu.9387

Mizu.9387

As for the guardian, try out the Sword/Torch if DPS is what you’re going for. In PvP I would never let go of my hammer.

Sif Urkraft

So much GS

Posted by: tOss.9024

tOss.9024

I think its an attempt to establish general themes for weapon types. I honestly have no problem with is as long as there is some variety in the skills per class.

So much GS

Lucky Charmz.5089

As a ranger player, I’d like to point out that mainhand sword usually does more damage as a GS, but GS offers way more utility than the mainhand sword.

I see, thank you.
I’ve heard that about the Guardian too, as in the sword does more damage, but the GS offers more utility and is therefore better for PvP.

Then why is this? For both the Guardian and Ranger, the sword does more damage and the GS has more utility and is more ideal for PvP? Why is it the same?

Its fine, I guess, it’s just really dull and boring and personally…I don’t like it.

So much GS

Lucky Charmz.5089

I think its an attempt to establish general themes for weapon types. I honestly have no problem with is as long as there is some variety in the skills per class.

I guess I could understand that, personal preference I guess.

So much GS

Posted by: Mizu.9387

Mizu.9387

Depends I guess. Teleport with an AoE blind is a pretty good utility.

Sif Urkraft

So much GS

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

I can only answer for a Ranger.

Ranger GS has the following utilities:
1. Evade on third auto-attack chain
2. 1200 range leap on skill #3
3. A skill similar to blocking stance which can be chained into a cripple
4. A stun/daze on skill #5

Whereas Sword has
1. Cripple on autoattack chain #3
2. Evades on skills 2 and 3.

And that’s it. Of course, there’s also the option of using offhands, but still, from a PvP perspective, GW utility cannot be beat.

So much GS

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Greatsword Mesmer, ranged DPS. .-.

Developers love greatswords. Even Trahearne the Necromancer gets one.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

So much GS

Lucky Charmz.5089

I see, thank you.
I’ve heard that about the Guardian too, as in the sword does more damage, but the GS offers more utility and is therefore better for PvP.

Then why is this? For both the Guardian and Ranger, the sword does more damage and the GS has more utility and is more ideal for PvP? Why is it the same?

Its fine, I guess, it’s just really dull and boring and personally…I don’t like it.

This entirely contradicts your OP. First you don’t like that GS is the DPS weapon of choice, when it’s pointed out that it’s not you don’t like that either. What exactly are you wanting out of weapons? For them all to be the same? The way most weapons are setup makes sense, some are more for control and some for DPS and some for utility and some with a mix. Personally, a large sharp blade makes pretty good sense to be the DPS weapon to me.

Haha nonono, that’s not what I’m saying at all.

I’m saying why does the same weapon do the same general thing for each class? Why is GS the melee PvP weapon for 3 different classes? Why is the sword the best melee damage-dealer for at least two of them (I don’t know about the warrior)?

It just makes for an environment without a lot of variety. Makes you feel that much more similar to the person standing next to you, even if s/he is a different class/race.

I don’t care that for each class, one weapon does more damage while one has utility and one more support etc…but I do care that it’s the same lay out for many classes.

You can see it with the staff, too. The staff is always AOE damage, with the occasional support depending on class.

The only time they’re greatly different is for things like the warrior uses 2 axes melee while the ranger uses 2 axes ranged.
But for many weapons, they’re quite similar.

So much GS

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

Yeah I get that too. When I started my Guardian it was with a goal to not be another GS guard. I tried mace/torch, sword/shield, mace/shield for my main set and they just couldn’t hold their own, in the leveling process, to GS.

I tried to bias my brother against GS by talking up the coolness of some of the other weapon skills and combos, but the lure of 100 blades was just too strong.

It doesn’t help that they easily get the best looking weapon skins in the game. Probably just worked out that way since they give artists the most room to work with.

But you can’t kitten the weapon’s utility so people will use other things instead. I would just get used to seeing GS guardians, mesmers, warriors, and rangers for as far as the eye can see until we get some new weapon types.

(interesting observation: Asuran players seem more likely to try and stick to other weapon combinations. Because GS gets scaled down the ones I know just don’t care much for them)

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

So much GS

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Yeah, it’s really good for DPS, but far worse for survivability. On my ranger, the greatsword is good for taking on 1-2 mobs, but more than that and I’m toasted.

With my shortbow I can take on 5-7 risen in Orr and often survive with full health.

So much GS

Posted by: Sion.1653

Sion.1653

Ha, Greatswords.

Pshhhh.

Hammer.

That is all.

So much GS

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

Ha, Greatswords.

Pshhhh.

Hammer.

That is all.

Hammer is a freakin blast on guardian, to be sure, but its DPS is significantly lower.

So much GS

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

Ha, Greatswords.

Pshhhh.

Hammer.

That is all.

Hammer is a freakin blast on guardian, to be sure, but its DPS is significantly lower.

I prefer hammer (not typically playing my guardian for damage, but he still has quicker kill-speed than my ranger, despite Melandru runes)

But hammer is yet another weapon where I mostly use 1 and 2 because 345 aren’t for damage, and not often used. If you’re using a melee area-effect weapon with a gap-closer on a longish cooldown, you don’t really want to knock your target away from you. Nor on #5 do you want to discourage targets from grouping up (I do like it for a combo field when it doesn’t counter-act CC).

Abilities on some of the weapons serve to make what’s already a pretty simple combat system even flatter. I think that’s another reason people gravitate to the same couple weapon sets is the others aren’t as handy.

So much GS

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

I guess you can attribute this to the fact that each weapon attributes itself to a particular type of combat. In PvP, the most effective type of weapon for going up against players is going to be used by the large majority. Effectiveness here depends on two things though: the effectiveness of the weapon itself, and your prowess using such a weapon. If you aren’t as disciplined in using the greatsword, you won’t — that’s a no brainer. But when the most effective weapon for combat is also the easiest to use, then there’s no excuse not to use it.

The point I’m trying to make is that it’s not that the other weapons are vastly inferior, it’s just that the greatsword generally lends itself to the easier combat mechanics in a tense, short-lived PvP fight and therefore might be more effective to the player.

In summary, in real life you don’t usually bring a sword to a gun fight. Sure, you can really do some damage with a sword, but you have to put a lot more effort into killing somebody with a sword that shooting them with a pistol. It’s all about the situation.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

(edited by Miflett.3472)

So much GS

Posted by: Dominae.3146

Dominae.3146

Greatsword Mesmer, ranged DPS. .-.

Developers love greatswords. Even Trahearne the Necromancer gets one.

Plus most of them are so impossibly HUGE that you can see them from orbit!